GDT: 2022 MLB Regular Season thread

Sep 19, 2008
1649843261975.png

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
80 pitches through 7 and a 6-0 lead makes you pull him? If a runner gets on sure do the smart thing and preserve him since he's past his limit, but at least let him try for history during a time in the game that's borderline garbage time.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This is a rash reaction but **** modern baseball. Ridiculous that they won't let Kershaw try to get the perfecto.
Agreed. The Braves lose 1 game in a row and then I see this nonsense of pulling Kershaw late in a perfect game bid and I hate baseball again. Seriously what the f***. I don't even know what the equivalent of this would be in any other sport. Just weird shit. Also, f*** the Dodgers as always.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Agreed. The Braves lose 1 game in a row and then I see this nonsense of pulling Kershaw late in a perfect game bid and I hate baseball again. Seriously what the f***. I don't even know what the equivalent of this would be in any other sport. Just weird shit. Also, f*** the Dodgers as always.

Basketball equivalent would be.

Player X has 90 points in a game through 3 quarters. Coach benches him for the entire 4th quarter preventing him from scoring 100 points in a game (only done once in history by Wilt Chamberlain)

Not as egregious but Babcock healthy scratching Modano the final game so he retired at 1499 games instead of 1500 is similar

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Might be a stretch but maybe benching McDavid in a late regular season or blowout playoff game after he's scored 3 or 4 goals and his team has a huge lead?

I guess the closest comparable is coaches benching starting QBs at the half or before the 4th quarter when their team is winning by a large margin.

Regardless, Dave Roberts is no fan of perfect games :naughty:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Might be a stretch but maybe benching McDavid in a late regular season or blowout playoff game after he's scored 3 or 4 goals and his team has a huge lead?

I guess the closest comparable is coaches benching starting QBs at the half or before the 4th quarter when their team is winning by a large margin.

Regardless, Dave Roberts is no fan of perfect games :naughty:
More like pulling the goalie in the 3rd that has a 50+ save shutout.

Reactions: Voight

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
80 pitches through 7 and a 6-0 lead makes you pull him? If a runner gets on sure do the smart thing and preserve him since he's past his limit, but at least let him try for history during a time in the game that's borderline garbage time.
Unfortunately, this is becoming philosophical for most organizations. 100 used to be the benchmark when they started pitch counting, and now they’re looking to hook you once you get to 75-80.

I’m glad when I played growing up there were no pitch limits. Especially considering many factors lead to fatigue that have nothing to do with pitch count.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
To be fair, Kershaw had injury problems recently and admitted himself he wasn't fully ramped up. I understand that taking away the chance for history hurts players and fans, but I also get that the Dodgers want to protect their TOR starter.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Analytics is killing baseball.

At this point why waste money having a manager. Just do whatever a computer says is the best move.

Such a bullshit move, like no one wants to see a Dodger legend and 3x Cy Young winner get a perfect game?
This had ZERO to do with analytics.

For pitchers, they're in week 4 of 6 of spring training, for all intents and purposes. He isn't fully built up yet, this is a non issue 3 weeks from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00