GDT: 2022 MLB Regular Season thread

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

......No it doesn't.

If it did, the camera woulda stayed tracked on that fan who caught it last night, instead of on Judge (and his mother, for that matter).

Also I was really hoping this morning that it would be revealed that the desperate fan who jumped into the bullpen was none other than Zack "**** them kids" Hample.

Either way, happy for Judge to finally hold at least the AL record.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Worst part is I don't even have any expectations for them at this point. Once we got swept by the Cubs I knew we were going nowhere. I just thought "whatever" when you guys swept us this weekend.

Full credit to the Braves for their torrid pace this 2nd half. What lost the Mets the division wasn't this past weekend series, but rather losing series in September to teams with losing records, the worst being the aforementioned Cubs series.

The Mets pen is not great...I was never in love with their odds in the playoffs if they could not bridge to Diaz and now having to go through SD/LAD I just do not see it. Ultimately if deGrom and Scherzer are hobbled or gassed it won't matter anyway. We should get a feel for that the next few days but if both get lit up in 45 degree weather by a horrible Padres offense you can be sure even if they won this division they were not going anywhere

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
What do Bonds, Judge, and Maris all have in common?

0 failed drug tests.
Bonds admitted to using drugs though. He called them "the cream" and "the clear".

And please don't try to tell me that you buy into his whole "I used them but didn't know what they were" excuse.

Would any rational person, much less a professional athlete whose body is their meal-ticket, be using substances that they had no idea what they were?

He wants to say "some trainer gave me these substances and told me there were for arthritis, so I believed him and I took the substances". Or some nonsense like that.

But why would a trainer do that?

A trainer has everything to lose (such as freedom, because he would go to prison for fraud) and nothing to gain by deceiving Bonds about what the substances were.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Vogt homers in his last career at bat. The guy just knows how to rise to the occasion.

Trout just killed a ball for his 40th.

Bonds admitted to using drugs though. He called them "the cream" and "the clear".

And please don't try to tell me that you buy into his whole "I used them but didn't know what they were" excuse.

Would any rational person, much less a professional athlete whose body is their meal-ticket, be using substances that they had no idea what they were?

He wants to say "some trainer gave me these substances and told me there were for arthritis, so I believed him and I took the substances". Or some nonsense like that.

But why would a trainer do that?

A trainer has everything to lose (such as freedom, because he would go to prison for fraud) and nothing to gain by deceiving Bonds about what the substances were.
Still never failed a test, unlike David Ortiz.

Why isn’t there an asterisk next to Hank greeny lover Aaron’s 755?

Every single era of baseball cheated in some way. The way people have made it an individual issue with Bonds and Clemens is a joke.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Vogt homers in his last career at bat. The guy just knows how to rise to the occasion.

Trout just killed a ball for his 40th.

Every single era of baseball cheated in some way. The way people have made it an individual issue with Bonds and Clemens is a joke.
his reaction was priceless. really hope he stays with the org in some capacity

damn, trout's HR went into the second deck in CF. haven't seen one hit up there in a while. i know pinder hit one there in '16. not sure if anyone else has since

EDIT: just realized vogt's last career HR landed in the same exact place as his first

Last edited:

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Our season is done. 2nd best record in franchise history next to the '19 team. Now gotta wait a week.

Not sure how i feel about having a bye and the extra days off. On one hand it will be good for the players to get rest and heal , on the other there is always concern's with rust.It will be interesting to see how the 1 and 2 seeds in each league play in Game 1 of the divisonal series after the week off.

Ah. It's just 5 days. Okay,not as bad as i thought but it will still be interesting how each performs after the time off.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
J
his reaction was priceless. really hope he stays with the org in some capacity

damn, trout's HR went into the second deck in CF. haven't seen one hit up there in a while. i know pinder hit one there in '16. not sure if anyone else has since

EDIT: just realized vogt's last career HR landed in the same exact place as his first

Jarrett Parker did for the Giants back before Pinder did.

Waldichuk’s first 2 career wins came against Jacob DeGrom and Shohei Ohtani.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Judge should be looked at as the record-holder.

Did anyone ever consider Ben Johnson the world-record holder in the 100 metres after the 1988 Olympics?

Same should go for Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa.
What if protein powder or whatever supplement Aaron Judge assuredly takes is made illegal in a few years?

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
What if protein powder or whatever supplement Aaron Judge assuredly takes is made illegal in a few years?
And what if water is made illegal in a few years? Being hydrated makes it more likely that you will perform adequately compared to being dehydrated.

On a serious note, the fact is that protein powder is much different than what Bonds was doing.

Bonds wasn't only taking anabolic steroids ("the clear"), he was also taking a substance that was specifically designed to mask/hide the presence of anabolic steroids ("the cream").

So he was cheating, and he was also going to great lengths to conceal the fact that he was cheating. Trying to conceal the cheating makes the circumstances much more aggravating in nature.

This is a serious integrity issue. It ruins the integrity of the sport.

This is different than Judge using protein powder. There is a galaxy-sized difference.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

A big part of the reason Bonds never failed a drug test was that he was using a masking agent that is specifically designed to conceal the presence of anabolic steroids.

The "clear" was the anabolic steroid, and the "cream" was the masking agent.

Hank Aaron's "greenies" weren't specifically designed as a PED the same way anabolic steroids are.

But even if we want to pretend that they were, this is a good transition into your final point. The point about an individual issue being made with Bonds and Clemens.

Aaron, and several other players, who used "greenies" or some form of PED have been honest and forthright about their usage.

Bonds and Clemens have decided to deny, deny, deny, and this is one of the main things that pisses people off about them. Because their constant denials are indicative of a serious integrity issue and indicative of serious character flaws.

If they would have been honest and forthright the way so many others have been, then people wouldn't be making it such an individual issue with them.

Society is much more forgiving towards people who admit their mistakes, and much less forgiving towards people who deny their mistakes.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A big part of the reason Bonds never failed a drug test was that he was using a masking agent that is specifically designed to conceal the presence of anabolic steroids.

The "clear" was the anabolic steroid, and the "cream" was the masking agent.

Hank Aaron's "greenies" weren't specifically designed as a PED the same way anabolic steroids are.

But even if we want to pretend that they were, this is a good transition into your final point. The point about an individual issue being made with Bonds and Clemens.

Aaron, and several other players, who used "greenies" or some form of PED have been honest and forthright about their usage.

Bonds and Clemens have decided to deny, deny, deny, and this is one of the main things that pisses people off about them. Because their constant denials are indicative of a serious integrity issue and indicative of serious character flaws.

If they would have been honest and forthright the way so many others have been, then people wouldn't be making it such an individual issue with them.

Society is much more forgiving towards people who admit their mistakes, and much less forgiving towards people who deny their mistakes.
Oh yes, because the baseball world has been so forgiving to McGwire for admitting without admitting wrt The Mitchell report.

If Bonds and Clemens would have admitted to their use, the same people who hate them now would feel validated to keep their opinions of them. They had no incentive to be honest with mlb and their dishonest investigation/approach. The league was just fine with juicing the baseballs during the era after the strike (look it up), and they had no issues with players doing the same until Congress got bored and decided to meddle in sports.

Greenies provided energy, more than a player would have had otherwise. To say they had no ped effect is naive. They weren’t designed the same way anabolic steroids were, but they’re still a synthetic substance meant to give an edge. Why people continue to treat those dopers differently is beyond me.

Bonds, Clemens (and to a lesser extent McGwire) being left out of the hof is extremely hypocritical when David ‘failed test’ Ortiz gets in 1st ballot. But he’s from a country where mlb buys kids for pennies on the dollar and was friendly with the media, so who cares right.

And Hank Aaron saying he only used them once is as believable as the answer you’d get if you asked someone what their body count was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Yake

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And what if water is made illegal in a few years? Being hydrated makes it more likely that you will perform adequately compared to being dehydrated.

On a serious note, the fact is that protein powder is much different than what Bonds was doing.

Bonds wasn't only taking anabolic steroids ("the clear"), he was also taking a substance that was specifically designed to mask/hide the presence of anabolic steroids ("the cream").

So he was cheating, and he was also going to great lengths to conceal the fact that he was cheating. Trying to conceal the cheating makes the circumstances much more aggravating in nature.

This is a serious integrity issue. It ruins the integrity of the sport.

This is different than Judge using protein powder. There is a galaxy-sized difference.
Do McGwire next. Ask yourself whether the substance was banned by MLB

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Saying Judge should be the record holder is silly, the records are what they are. That being said, it's also silly to pretend that Bonds didn't use or that steroids only had an impact on par with what other eras did to improve performance. The slugging % and homers that some individuals were hitting and the league as a whole was hitting was insane and clearly unnatural. And lets also not pretend like those players were simply going to their local GNC or supplement store and getting legal, over-the-counter supplements. Androstenedione was one of the things that McGwire used, and for a period that could be purchased legally over-the-counter, but steroids in general without a prescription were illegal in 91.

The real problem with the era is we have no idea how prevalent steroid use was, we just know it was widespread, so when we start picking and choosing who goes in the Hall and who doesn't, it's going to be incredibly flawed.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Saying Judge should be the record holder is silly, the records are what they are. That being said, it's also silly to pretend that Bonds didn't use or that steroids only had an impact on par with what other eras did to improve performance. The slugging % and homers that some individuals were hitting and the league as a whole was hitting was insane and clearly unnatural. And lets also not pretend like those players were simply going to their local GNC or supplement store and getting legal, over-the-counter supplements. Androstenedione was one of the things that McGwire used, and for a period that could be purchased legally over-the-counter, but steroids in general without a prescription were illegal in 91.

The real problem with the era is we have no idea how prevalent steroid use was, we just know it was widespread, so when we start picking and choosing who goes in the Hall and who doesn't, it's going to be incredibly flawed.
That’s precisely my point. There’s no doubt Bonds and Clemens used and that it probably enhanced performance to some degree, but so did a lot of players. And a lot of players before them.

A lot of people (especially people in their mid-40’s and above) want to act like cheating didn’t start in the game until the era after their childhood. It’s an extremely ignorant and short-sighted view.

With regards to McGwire’s comments referenced above, I don’t blame him for that answer. Congress and baseball were simply looking for scapegoats to blame on the steroid era when baseball had just as much responsibility as the players. The game was fine with players using them because (at least anecdotally) they increase performance and in turn entertain more fans. Once congress convinced people these guys were evil mlb changed stances as quickly as possible. McGwire leaning into it would have been even worse for him personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad