Prospect Info: 2022 Ives Mid-Season NHL Draft Rankings (1.0)

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
This year give me high floor, big bodies who compete and have intangibles with good offensive instincts at wing or RD. Is that too much to ask? Not asking for sharks with fricking laser guns on their backs here. Save that for the 5th round and beyond.
giphy.gif

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
I think the question Devils fans must ask is: who do we draft at (potentially) the #6 or #7 slot if all three of Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec are gone? It's a scary thought, since those are the elite players who fill obvious needs. I feel at this point names like Yurov and Gauthier and Nazar should enter the conversation, maybe even trading down a bit and taking RD Ryan Chesley. Whatever the answer, it certainly is an interesting question.
Real possibility of this coming to pass.
I'd draft Yurov in this scenario. He fits a need. Yurov is in my personal Top 10. I love Gauthier as well. I'd also look to trade that pick for immediate help if possible. I'd love hear more from you guys about this possible scenario. I hope we land in the top 5 at this point but who knows.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Yesterday, Nemec broke the record for points by any defenseman under 21 in the history of the Slovakian league... and he's still 17. And he's good defensively. Jiricek is out for the season due to injury, but was a top two defenseman for his Czech league team as a 17 year old. He might have the hardest shot in the entire draft and he's both a very good puck mover and physical, shut-down defender. Both of these prospects are high end. My #3 defender for this draft is Ryan Chesley, who might be the most advanced defensively of any blue liner in the draft and also features a ridiculous shot and solid offensive capability.

I do think there is quite a drop off after these three, but they're all RD and tremendous prospects.

Askarov would not have been a bad pick, but neither was Holtz.

Stats are meaningless if you don't pass the eye test. Nemec doesn't pass the eye test to me. He looks sort of out there, a big body filling space and throwing pucks around. I don't see anything special. Luke Hughes was special. He had stats but also passed the eye test. You could just see his vision and ridiculous skating on the ice. The kid was simply dynamic and that was a steal pick for us, thankfully.
Holtz has surprized me with his play in Utica this season. He passed the eye test prior to the draft but early on wasn't producing as expected. I would still take Askarov over him because potentially elite goalies are rare and the value is multiple times over a winger.
To have long term success and really be a serious contender you need balance and players that fit the scheme. Right now we are too soft in the backend and are in desperate need of a RD. We need Daneyko/Stevens type defensemen that stay in their zone and shut down opposing team's offense. Goalie is a major hole to fill, as well.

Reactions: My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think the question Devils fans must ask is: who do we draft at (potentially) the #6 or #7 slot if all three of Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec are gone? It's a scary thought, since those are the elite players who fill obvious needs. I feel at this point names like Yurov and Gauthier and Nazar should enter the conversation, maybe even trading down a bit and taking RD Ryan Chesley. Whatever the answer, it certainly is an interesting question.
I like Yurov if those guys are gone. Yurov Lambert then... not sure.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Real possibility of this coming to pass.
I'd draft Yurov in this scenario. He fits a need. Yurov is in my personal Top 10. I love Gauthier as well. I'd also look to trade that pick for immediate help if possible. I'd love hear more from you guys about this possible scenario. I hope we land in the top 5 at this point but who knows.

You don't trade a top 8 pick while still rebuilding, not unless you're offered Vasilevskiy straight up, which won't happen. There's no "immediate help" with equivalent value to a future core piece which can be had with a top 8 overall pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Stats are meaningless if you don't pass the eye test. Nemec doesn't pass the eye test to me. He looks sort of out there, a big body filling space and throwing pucks around. I don't see anything special. Luke Hughes was special. He had stats but also passed the eye test. You could just see his vision and ridiculous skating on the ice. The kid was simply dynamic and that was a steal pick for us, thankfully.
Holtz has surprized me with his play in Utica this season. He passed the eye test prior to the draft but early on wasn't producing as expected. I would still take Askarov over him because potentially elite goalies are rare and the value is multiple times over a winger.
To have long term success and really be a serious contender you need balance and players that fit the scheme. Right now we are too soft in the backend and are in desperate need of a RD. We need Daneyko/Stevens type defensemen that stay in their zone and shut down opposing team's offense. Goalie is a major hole to fill, as well.

Stats are just a piece of how I assess prospects. Nemec is an elite passer, judging on both stats and the eye test. Anyone who does not see Nemec is a player with incredible vision might need their eyes checked. He is also very good defensively. Nemec is positionally sound, possesses great defensive awareness, has a very good compete level and excels in transition. I would say his only discernible weakness is his shot, which is below average. That being said, Nemec is not my top-ranked RD in the 2022 draft, which is Jiricek. The best shut-down RD right now might be either Jiricek or Ryan Chesley, who is a likely pick in the #12-#20 range.

There are no goalies with a high chance of being drafted in the first round in 2022.

Reactions: My3Sons

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
That's a trade I would make too, because Tkachuk represents exactly what the Devils need. That being said, it's very unlikely Tkachuk is available in a trade.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

If Calgary loses Gaudreau to UFA, Tkachuk could think to himself "Do I really think we can win here?" and want out.

In addition to that, Tkachuk doesn't strike me as the type of person who would enjoy being in Canada during these current events we've seen transpiring in that country. So I could certainly see him saying something like "I want 11 million a year or I'm taking my QO and walking" at which that point it would be smart for Calgary to trade him.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
I like the idea of getting Jiricek or Nemec, but after listening to the 32 Thoughts interview of Slafkovsky, hard not to like the kid. Sounded mature with a good head on his shoulders and he can play a little bit. If he’s available wherever NJD picks, if it’s a high pick of course, I’d be a bit weepy if he’s not the taken.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Here’s my top #3 (for now)

- Slafkovsky
- Jiricek
- Gauthier

I don’t have Nemec in my top #3 because I’m not a fan of adding a dman who has a butter soft shot from the point. He can be the best passer in the league, teams will adapt to him not being a threat from the point. With all the offensive minded dman we have, if I get get a guy who has size, is physical and has a bomb of a shot, that’s the guy I want… especially if I can pair him with Luke Hughes for the next decade.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Here’s my top #3 (for now)

- Slafkovsky
- Jiricek
- Gauthier

I don’t have Nemec in my top #3 because I’m not a fan of adding a dman who has a butter soft shot from the point. He can be the best passer in the league, teams will adapt to him not being a threat from the point. With all the offensive minded dman we have, if I get get a guy who has size, is physical and has a bomb of a shot, that’s the guy I want… especially if I can pair him with Luke Hughes for the next decade.

Fair enough, but every other area of Nemec's game is terrific. He's an unbelievable passer with terrific puck skills, extraordinarily high intelligence and terrific defensive acumen. He's not an "offensive defenseman" but rather a two-way player who is -- by far -- the best transition defender in the 2022 draft. He's also closer to the NHL than any other D in the draft, I'd say 2023-24 is not out of the realm of possibility -- and the Devils certainly need RD help fast. He makes sense for a lot of reasons. Do I take Nemec before Jiricek or Slafkovsky? No. But a lack of a shot does not prevent me from drafting him, because he's just so good at everything else and several NHL defensemen have become stars despite this lack from Brian Leetch to Ryan Suter and so on.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Devils need a Philly win today to move back into the #4 overall slot. As it stands, here's a mini-mock:

1 ARI C Wright
2 MTL LW Slafkovsky
3 SEA C Cooley
4 PHI RD Jiricek
5 NJ RD Nemec
6 BUF RW Kemell
7 OTT C Geekie
8 CLB C Savoie
9 NYI RW Nazar
10 DET LW Yurov
11 SJ C/RW Lambert
12 WPG C McGroarty

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
With now many assets we have acquired plus whatever we add before the TDL, I wonder if Fitz considers trading up in the draft ? I think if there is a situation where say both the RHD are gone yet Slafkovsky somehow falls , I’d be very tempered to say screw it and package a deal to move up. If there is a situation where only one of Slaf and the RHD are left and we are still 1/2/3 picks away, I say use what we need to use to move up. More so just for those three guys and if they are gone then just go BAP but I try like hell to get one of those 3.

Or is it not worth paying a premium on those there vs what would be left? I think this might be the very rare situation where you draft a little more on need than simply BAP. We are at the point in building the team that maybe it makes sense to take need into a little more consideration than you normally would? Say a Center is the slam dunk BAP. I’d almost rather had tried to move up or even trade down and get more assets to fill more of a need.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With now many assets we have acquired plus whatever we add before the TDL, I wonder if Fitz considers trading up in the draft ? I think if there is a situation where say both the RHD are gone yet Slafkovsky somehow falls , I’d be very tempered to say screw it and package a deal to move up. If there is a situation where only one of Slaf and the RHD are left and we are still 1/2/3 picks away, I say use what we need to use to move up. More so just for those three guys and if they are gone then just go BAP but I try like hell to get one of those 3.

Or is it not worth paying a premium on those there vs what would be left? I think this might be the very rare situation where you draft a little more on need than simply BAP. We are at the point in building the team that maybe it makes sense to take need into a little more consideration than you normally would? Say a Center is the slam dunk BAP. I’d almost rather had tried to move up or even trade down and get more assets to fill more of a need.

Like I said, I don't feel the Devils need to trade up. If Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec are all gone, Gauthier would be a great pick and it would be tough to argue Yurov or Nazar.

What I would really like is for Fitzgerald to acquire a second 1st round pick. There will be several players available later int he draft who could really help the Devils, from a RD like Ryan Chesley to interior wingers like Perevalov or Gaucher.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Like I said, I don't feel the Devils need to trade up. If Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec are all gone, Gauthier would be a great pick and it would be tough to argue Yurov or Nazar.

What I would really like is for Fitzgerald to acquire a second 1st round pick. There will be several players available later int he draft who could really help the Devils, from a RD like Ryan Chesley to interior wingers like Perevalov or Gaucher.
Are most of the players like Perevalov at least a year away from playing ? Anyone we can realistically pick with our first pick be ready for next season or is that highly doubtful?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Are most of the players like Perevalov at least a year away from playing ? Anyone we can realistically pick with our first pick be ready for next season or is that highly doubtful?

The only players who I think even have a shot at the NHL next year from the 2022 draft are Shane Wright and Simon Nemec... and to be honest I'd want to give those two another year of development, as well.

We have to keep in mind that most of these players missed a great deal of development due to Covid -- sometimes the entire 2020-21 season -- and be patient with them.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Sens fan here in peace. I've made a couple of mock drafts and I usually have you guys get one of Jiricek or Nemec.

Jiricek has a bomb of a shot and could be a good contrast to say Hughes. Nemec is more of the shutdown guy. Hope you guys win against Blues.

Where is your weakest area? Are you weakest on defense? Or the wing?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sens fan here in peace. I've made a couple of mock drafts and I usually have you guys get one of Jiricek or Nemec.

Jiricek has a bomb of a shot and could be a good contrast to say Hughes. Nemec is more of the shutdown guy. Hope you guys win against Blues.

Where is your weakest area? Are you weakest on defense? Or the wing?

Jiricek is also potentially a shut down player, although he's not as polished as Nemec and losing half of his draft-eligible season to injury certainly will not help him. But I feel if the Devils have the choice between the two, they will take Jiricek. Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald has shown a preference in larger, more physical defensemen in his brief acquisition history, and Jiricek is certainly bigger and more physical than Nemec.

One would have to assume you are correct that the Devils would have great interest in drafting either player, as the greatest position of organizational need is RD. Despite the Hamilton contract which locks up a 1RD for the foreseeable future, the Devils stand to lose PK Subban as a UFA after the season, while Damon Severson is heading into the final year of his contract next year -- and could even be traded at the deadline if NJ is overwhelmed in an offer. The Devils are very thin at RD in the prospect pool, where their top two (and only) prospects are Case McCarthy -- a defense-first, stay-at-home sort who is likely a couple years away -- and Reilly Walsh -- who is very proficient offensively but might lack the defensive chops to carve out a regular role with the Devils. There are a ton of question marks at the position.

So yes, we'd have to say Jiricek and Nemec are big targets. I feel the only exceptions would be (of course) if the Devils won the lottery, or if Juraj Slafkovsky were still available when the Devils picked in the first round. Because quite honestly, the Devils other pressing need (outside of RD and goaltending) is an interior/power forward with the skill to play in the top 6 with high-end guys like Hughes and Bratt and Hischier. Slafkovsky is a rare combination of 6'4/power/elite skill, but as such he's also likely to be taken in the first two or three overall picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad