Prospect Info: 2022 Ives Mid-Season NHL Draft Rankings (1.0)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I know very little about these prospects but Juraj Slafkovsky seems interesting to me. Though last time I had interest in a big forward, I wanted us to draft Zacha and that was a terrible decision.

Is he a physical player? How is his skating? Honestly if we are getting a player that big, that his physical and plays well on the boards, that would be a great fit for someone like Nico. Of course they need skill too.

From watching his highlights, he seems good at protecting the puck along the boards which I believe is an important area for a winger playing with Nico.

I wrote up Slafkovsky on the 2022 draft prospects thread here on the Devils boards. But quickly -- Slafkovsky uses his body well to dominate down low, but he's certainly more of a skill forward than a traditional power forward. He has a strong interior game but does not seek physicality so much as use his strength to protect the puck and win battles in the greasy areas. His skating is very good but not elite. Slafkovsky's finest qualities are his elite passing vision, high-level offensive awareness and silky set of hands. He's got a bunch of improvements to make, but there is doubt he has star upside as a PPG top line LW.

Reactions: Guadana and RSeen

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I know very little about these prospects but Juraj Slafkovsky seems interesting to me. Though last time I had interest in a big forward, I wanted us to draft Zacha and that was a terrible decision.

Is he a physical player? How is his skating? Honestly if we are getting a player that big, that is physical and plays well on the boards, that would be a great fit for someone like Nico. Of course they need skill too.

From watching his highlights, he seems good at protecting the puck along the boards which I believe is an important area for a winger playing with Nico.
He is physical and smart, his two way game is pretty well, his playmaking game is good. The issue with him is his shot and agressive challenging game. His skating is avarage.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It's about time we had some good arguments on the Devils draft threads. Let's insult each other personally without any cleverness like they do on the main boards! It'll be fun!
When russian hackers will hack every american device and russian troopers will land in washington, Putin(big hockey fan) will occupie NHL. And Нью Джерсийские Черти will hire me as scouting director, I will not hire you as an assistant.
Because Edvinsson is 18? Seriously? How can you tracking and scouting players after that and trying to sell someone over someone?The situation with Kimmel in this case is exactly the same as with Edvinsson. So what if there are completely different positions, leagues, experience, etc. Your only mistake will always be a terrible stain on your reputation, and your attempts to evaluate hundreds of hockey players at once have no right to at least some consistency.

I`m bad in non context agression. But I`m good in player scouting. Unlike some.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Slafkovsky’s biggest weakness to this point is his shot. Him scoring some goals in the olympics with his shot is great and a really good sign. I haven’t been able to watch as much of the game as I would like but if he keeps this up and he starts using and showing an improved shot he might become my favourite target for the devils. He already has been one of my favourites for a bit now. I hope he doesn’t improve his stock too much though to the point where we won’t have a chance to pick him.

4 goals in 3 Olympic Games. Needs to keep this up and carry it back to league play with him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Slafkovsky’s biggest weakness to this point is his shot. Him scoring some goals in the olympics with his shot is great and a really good sign. I haven’t been able to watch as much of the game as I would like but if he keeps this up and he starts using and showing an improved shot he might become my favourite target for the devils. He already has been one of my favourites for a bit now. I hope he doesn’t improve his stock too much though to the point where we won’t have a chance to pick him.

4 goals in 3 Olympic Games. Needs to keep this up and carry it back to league play with him.

I'm pretty confident Slafkovsky will be a top 5 pick at this point. I feel we cannot understate that he has a chance to go as high as #2 overall, and I cannot see any scenario where he falls beyond the top 7. Like you, I hope he keeps this up for the rest of the year, he's a really fun young talent to watch.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
When russian hackers will hack every american device and russian troopers will land in washington, Putin(big hockey fan) will occupie NHL. And Нью Джерсийские Черти will hire me as scouting director, I will not hire you as an assistant.
Because Edvinsson is 18? Seriously? How can you tracking and scouting players after that and trying to sell someone over someone?The situation with Kimmel in this case is exactly the same as with Edvinsson. So what if there are completely different positions, leagues, experience, etc. Your only mistake will always be a terrible stain on your reputation, and your attempts to evaluate hundreds of hockey players at once have no right to at least some consistency.

I`m bad in non context agression. But I`m good in player scouting. Unlike some.

Russian hackers will leave me alone because of my high praise for underrated MHL prospects like Rashevsky and Perevalov. My ass is covered.

Reactions: Oneiro and Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
These rankings are not that old, but I think I'm going to have to move Slafkovsky into my top 5. I'm pretty comfortable with how the rest of it stands though. When everybody else moves Perevalov into their top 10, I can say I was the first guy to do it.

Reactions: Guadana

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
This draft year does not have good defensemen. I am underwhelmed by watching tape of Nemec and Jiricek as I was underwhelmed by Ty Smith's tape who I called sluggish at the time he was drafted. The kid the Devils should draft is Kimell. He is a RW and fills a position of need. Would be a good compliment to Mercer and Holtz. He passes the eye test to me. Good size, skill and hockey awareness.
I wanted Askarov and people thought I was crazy. Well, he is turning into a very fine goalie prospect as many predicted. And again, the kid passed the eye test and his stats were excellent. Sometimes you have to be gutsy or you get stuck with the inconsistent made of glass goalies like Blackwood.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This draft year does not have good defensemen. I am underwhelmed by watching tape of Nemec and Jiricek as I was underwhelmed by Ty Smith's tape who I called sluggish at the time he was drafted. The kid the Devils should draft is Kimell. He is a RW and fills a position of need. Would be a good compliment to Mercer and Holtz. He passes the eye test to me. Good size, skill and hockey awareness.
I wanted Askarov and people thought I was crazy. Well, he is turning into a very fine goalie prospect as many predicted. And again, the kid passed the eye test and his stats were excellent. Sometimes you have to be gutsy or you get stuck with the inconsistent made of glass goalies like Blackwood.
Askarov was a great prospect but you’d take him over Holtz ? If we had another pick near where Askarov went then yes it would have been ok maybe to use the second pick in him but not over Holtz.
At that time Blackwood was still seen as our future and we had a desperate need for a finisher .
I am thinking Slafkovsky is gone by the time we pick . That hopefully means that one of the RHD will be there. It will suck to miss out on him but least we will (should) get a massive need of a RHD . Not bad consolation prize.
Who knows though , maybe we win the lottery , trade down , and get Slafkovsky plus another good pick lol.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
not meaning to bring politics into this, but i wonder if the current events will affect draft positions for some of these guys. i mean, isn't there going to be fall-out regarding scouting and the games the play/don't play?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Yesterday, Nemec broke the record for points by any defenseman under 21 in the history of the Slovakian league... and he's still 17. And he's good defensively. Jiricek is out for the season due to injury, but was a top two defenseman for his Czech league team as a 17 year old. He might have the hardest shot in the entire draft and he's both a very good puck mover and physical, shut-down defender. Both of these prospects are high end. My #3 defender for this draft is Ryan Chesley, who might be the most advanced defensively of any blue liner in the draft and also features a ridiculous shot and solid offensive capability.

I do think there is quite a drop off after these three, but they're all RD and tremendous prospects.

Askarov would not have been a bad pick, but neither was Holtz.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
not meaning to bring politics into this, but i wonder if the current events will affect draft positions for some of these guys. i mean, isn't there going to be fall-out regarding scouting and the games the play/don't play?

Yeah, I was asking these very same questions in the 2022 draft prospects threads. I think a lot of the Russian prospects are going to fall. Yurov had a chance to go top 7, but now could drop out of the top 10 altogether. Potential top-line scoring studs like Perevalov and Trikozov could fall to the second round. I guess we'll read more about this leading up to the draft. I'm curious also what the mentality in NHL front offices is going to be.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yesterday, Nemec broke the record for points by any defenseman under 21 in the history of the Slovakian league... and he's still 17. And he's good defensively. Jiricek is out for the season due to injury, but was a top two defenseman for his Czech league team as a 17 year old. He might have the hardest shot in the entire draft and he's both a very good puck mover and physical, shut-down defender. Both of these prospects are high end. My #3 defender for this draft is Ryan Chesley, who might be the most advanced defensively of any blue liner in the draft and also features a ridiculous shot and solid offensive capability.

I do think there is quite a drop off after these three, but they're all RD and tremendous prospects.

Askarov would not have been a bad pick, but neither was Holtz.
Mr.Ives , who would you like to pick for the Devils if the draft were held today? Top 3 in order ?
Assuming everyone is available except for Wright .
I’m torn between Slafkovsky Jiricek and Nemec.
Out of the two D , which do you think is the best fit for NJ?
I’d want whomever is the better defensively but wouldn’t want to pass on the better overall Dman just because he is currently a little better defensively . Many lean toward the better skater of the two ? What do you use / consider for attributes that are most important for gauging defencemen?
For me it somewhat depends on what we currently have in our system. I know,it’s not smart to draft based off of needs vs best player available , but if two players are close , I would give some weight to attributes that are usually lower down the priority list. Such as size , physicality if all else is equal.
Skating and compete to me are critical .

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yeah, I was asking these very same questions in the 2022 draft prospects threads. I think a lot of the Russian prospects are going to fall. Yurov had a chance to go top 7, but now could drop out of the top 10 altogether. Potential top-line scoring studs like Perevalov and Trikozov could fall to the second round. I guess we'll read more about this leading up to the draft. I'm curious also what the mentality in NHL front offices is going to be.
If this is the case , I’d like to try to bundle picks to move up to pick a player like that which falls in the draft. We have the luxury of having a very deep prospect pool where we could take more of a risk than other teams. If we had a second 1st rounder and already got our main man ,it would be awesome to take a risk on an elite talent that may fall due to,the current Russian situation .

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Mr.Ives , who would you like to pick for the Devils if the draft were held today? Top 3 in order ?
I’d want whomever is the better defensively but wouldn’t want to pass on the better overall Dman just because he is currently a little better defensively . Many lean toward the better skater of the two ? What do you use / consider for attributes that are most important for gauging defencemen?
For me it somewhat depends on what we currently have in our system. I know,it’s not smart to draft based off of needs vs best player available , but if two players are close , I would give some weight to attributes that are usually lower down the priority list. Such as size , physicality if all else is equal.

My guess from STI is:
1. Jiricek
2. Slafkovsky
3. Nemec

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Okay, so you're saying the Devils win the #2 pick in the lottery? So, Wright is gone then.

I take Slafkovsky.

Slafkovsky's mix of ridiculous skill and intense physicality make him a rare player who can simultaneously dominate down low while matching the offensive acumen of guys like Hughes and Bratt. He's, quite simply, rare.

Now, let's say the Devils pick #3 and both Wright and Slafkovsky are gone.

I take Jiricek.

This is no knock on Nemec, whom I love as a prospect. I just feel Jiricek is a freak, a 6'3 physical powerhouse who also features a bomb of a shot and sneaky good puck skills.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If this is the case , I’d like to try to bundle picks to move up to pick a player like that which falls in the draft. We have the luxury of having a very deep prospect pool where we could take more of a risk than other teams. If we had a second 1st rounder and already got our main man ,it would be awesome to take a risk on an elite talent that may fall due to,the current Russian situation .

I honestly feel Alexander Perevalov is a top 10 talent. His skill is real, his offense is deadly and his intangibles are off the charts. If he falls anywhere past the #30 range, I'm scrambling like mad to trade up.

Not the best video, but it will give you an idea:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I honestly feel Alexander Perevalov is a top 10 talent. His skill is real, his offense is deadly and his intangibles are off the charts. If he falls anywhere past the #30 range, I'm scrambling like mad to trade up.

Not the best video, but it will give you an idea:

Guy looks like a puck hound with skill . Stickhandling is very slick and is all over the puck

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My guess from STI is:
1. Jiricek
2. Slafkovsky
3. Nemec

I think the question Devils fans must ask is: who do we draft at (potentially) the #6 or #7 slot if all three of Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec are gone? It's a scary thought, since those are the elite players who fill obvious needs. I feel at this point names like Yurov and Gauthier and Nazar should enter the conversation, maybe even trading down a bit and taking RD Ryan Chesley. Whatever the answer, it certainly is an interesting question.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I think the question Devils fans must ask is: who do we draft at (potentially) the #6 or #7 slot if all three of Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec are gone? It's a scary thought, since those are the elite players who fill obvious needs. I feel at this point names like Yurov and Gauthier and Nazar should enter the conversation, maybe even trading down a bit and taking RD Ryan Chesley. Whatever the answer, it certainly is an interesting question.
In that scenario I'd just take Lambert. Even if you don't think he's the best roster fit if he breaks out in Liga next season and looks like a future star you instantly have one of the better trade chips in the league if a young star becomes available that better compliments the current roster.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In that scenario I'd just take Lambert. Even if you don't think he's the best roster fit if he breaks out in Liga next season and looks like a future star you instantly have one of the better trade chips in the league if a young star becomes available that better compliments the current roster.

I appreciate you being the first person to chime in.

I currently do not have Brad Lambert ranked in my top 15, so for me he would represent a tremendous reach in the #6-#8 overall range. I see the appeal -- his upside may be tops in the entire draft among forwards after only Shane Wright and Juraj Slafkovsky. The combination of Lambert's skating/puckhandling/passing vision is truly dazzling when he's firing on all cylinders. The problem is that, in most of my viewings, Lambert has barely been firing on any cylinders at all. To me, this is too scary to justify a top 10 ranking for... though again, I understand his appeal to you.

If I'm the Devils drafting in the #6-#8 range with Slafkovsky/Jiricek/Nemec off the board, I think the guy I take right now is Cutter Gauthier. He's fast, he can snipe the puck, he plays a high-compete two-way game and he might be the most physical forward in the 2022 class. I would certainly give strong consideration to Danila Yurov, who might offer more pure offensive upside at the expense of a little nastiness, and also features a strong two-way game and sky-high compete level. But I will say that right now it's boiling down to those two guys for me.

I feel I need to add that @Guadana will be really mad at me for not mentioning Joakim Kemell here, and he's also a prospect I really like -- one who has sorely outperformed Lambert on the same Liiga team. Kemell may be the best pure goal-scorer in the draft, but I feel Yurov and Gauthier are players who could stylistically do more for the Devils down low and in the interior. Since I have all three forwards ranked similarly, I omitted Kemell from my personal wish-list.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I appreciate you being the first person to chime in.

I currently do not have Brad Lambert ranked in my top 15, so for me he would represent a tremendous reach in the #6-#8 overall range. I see the appeal -- his upside may be tops in the entire draft among forwards after only Shane Wright and Juraj Slafkovsky. The combination of Lambert's skating/puckhandling/passing vision is truly dazzling when he's firing on all cylinders. The problem is that, in most of my viewings, Lambert has barely been firing on any cylinders at all. To me, this is too scary to justify a top 10 ranking for... though again, I understand his appeal to you.

If I'm the Devils drafting in the #6-#8 range with Slafkovsky/Jiricek/Nemec off the board, I think the guy I take right now is Cutter Gauthier. He's fast, he can snipe the puck, he plays a high-compete two-way game and he might be the most physical forward in the 2022 class. I would certainly give strong consideration to Danila Yurov, who might offer more pure offensive upside at the expense of a little nastiness, and also features a strong two-way game and sky-high compete level. But I will say that right now it's boiling down to those two guys for me.

I feel I need to add that @Guadana will be really mad at me for not mentioning Joakim Kemell here, and he's also a prospect I really like -- one who has sorely outperformed Lambert on the same Liiga team. Kemell may be the best pure goal-scorer in the draft, but I feel Yurov and Gauthier are players who could stylistically do more for the Devils down low and in the interior. Since I have all three forwards ranked similarly, I omitted Kemell from my personal wish-list.
That's fair, I personally have Lambert as a top 5 talent in this draft and maybe, even top 3, so for me it would be a no brainer if those guys are off the board (I may even take Lambert over Nemec).

Not really a fan of Yurov, probably wouldn't even make my top 15 at this point, I like Gauthier but I don't think he brings enough to the table to be a top 10 prospect. After the top 7 (Wright, Cooley, Lambert, Slaf, Savoie, Jiricek, Nemec) I think there's a pretty big dropoff in talent, if we end up picking ouside the top 7 the two names towards the top of my list would probably be Lekkerimaki and Kemmell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad