Prospect Info: 2022 Ives Mid-Season NHL Draft Rankings (1.0)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
These are my initial rankings. They may diverge from the consensus, but I’ll be glad to answer any questions about who I have ranked where. These rankings are, of course, likely to change by the draft.
As always, I do not include goalies in my skater rankings. It’s also probably important to note that the Jack Hughes I have listed is not the one we already have.
  1. C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL nothing is more valuable than a two-way, franchise-type center and Shane Wright is precisely such a player. Though he has dipped a bit in some estimation because of a statistically lackluster draft-eligible season, Wright features an advanced defensive game, a dynamic offensive game and elite shooting ability. Though Cooley may have closed the gap a bit, he’s still a shoo-in for the top overall pick.
  2. C Logan Cooley, US-NTDP maybe the top skater in the draft after only Brad Lambert, Cooley is also a sublime two-way center with high-end scoring skills. Not a shooter like Wright, Cooley creates a ton of offense with elite puckhandling and playmaking. His compete level and awareness play up his elite speed and make it seem like he’s everywhere on the ice, every second of every shift. He’s a dynamic and dazzling talent with star 1C potential.
  3. RD David Jiricek, Plzeň Czechia a big (6’3-195) physical shut-down D with the ability to become a top NHL defender, Jiricek is also mobile and excellent with the puck on his stick. He’s been playing in the Czech men’s league for two years and can physically dominate men a decade older while also creating offense with his howitzer shot, probably the best of any defender in the 2022 class. Though Nemec is probably a bit better now, I like Jiricek’s upside to approach the closest thing we’ve seen to prime Dustin Byfuglien since prime Dustin Byfuglien.
  4. RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia a silky-smooth defender both with and without the puck, Nemec has been one of the top defenders in the Slovakian men’s league while piling up points at a record pace for a teenager; might lack a wow factor to his game but possesses clear upside as a top-pairing, all-situations two way defender at the NHL level. He’s the best playmaker and breakout passer of any D in the 2022 class. Nemec is a transition machine who can pretty much do it all.
  5. LW/RW (left shot) Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL a powerful and extremely high-compete interior winger, Yurov is a dual threat offensively with high-level passing and scoring abilities while providing elite hockey IQ; might lack the flashy puck skills of a typical top 5 pick but affects the game positively in every aspect and is the “Mark Stoniest player” in the entire 2022 class
  6. LW/C Cutter Gauthier, US-NTDP the top power forward in the entire 2022 class, the 6’3 Gauthier has it all — breakneck speed, intimidating physicality, high-end shooting and a high-compete two-way game; if his last name was Tkachuk no one would bat an eye. A stud on the PP or PK, a beast in the corners or the crease — Gauthier excels at creating room and space for high-skill players like Cooley and Nazar, while also offering the generative offensive talents to compliment them on the scoresheet.
  7. LW Juraj Slafkovsky, TPS Finland a 6’4 behemoth who dominates with a power game down low, Slafkovsky is also a unicorn in the sense that he has silky soft hands and absolutely elite passing ability to match smaller skill forwards in the 2022 class like Cooley and Savoie. If he puts it all together he can be a rare top-line talent at the NHL level.
  8. RW Alexander Perevalov, Loko Yaroslavl MHL if you’re not familiar with this stellar young talent then get familiar — Perevalov has elite passing and shooting skills with off-the-charts intangibles of hockey sense and compete level; makes a difference even when he does not score, but his dominating MHL numbers will tell you that he also usually scores.
  9. C/RW Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg WHL simply an offensive weapon, Savoie dazzles with flashy puck skills, seemingly psychic passing vision and a laser of a shot. A lack of size (5’9) and elite skating might push him to the wing at the NHL level, but this is a kid who will put points up at any level — his pure offensive skill might be the very best of any player available in the 2022 class.
  10. RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP a sublimely skilled and lightning-quick forward who plays with creativity, intelligence and maximum effort, Nazar has top line, high-scoring NHL upside. He’s also versatile both positionally and situationally with the ability to excel on the PK or PP — the type of player who is out there in a close game late, whether the team is looking to knot the score or protect a lead. He’s capable of outright wizardry with the puck and extremely fun to watch, unless you are one of the unfortunate souls trying to defend against him.
  11. RW Joakim Kemell, JYP Finland perhaps the best pure sniper in the 2022 class, Kemell also plays a solid and competitive 200-foot game. Kemell compliments his elite shooting with very good puck skills and passing vision. After a record-setting scoring pace to start the season in Liiga, Kemell has cooled a bit but still represents the closest thing you’ll get to Alexander Holtz in this year’s draft.
  12. RD Ryan Chesley, US-NTDP the top physical, shut-down defender in the 2022 class, this is the kind of player you win with. Far from just a plodding throwback, Chesley is a fantastic skater who is very capable with the puck and has 1PP upside due to a cannon-like shot, perhaps the best of any defender in this draft aside from Jiricek. We cannot overstate how difficult it is to find shut-down defenders who also contribute offensively and in transition, and this is why I have Chesley ranked higher than anyone else I’ve seen.
  13. C Marco Kasper, Rogle Sweden Austria’s latest first round product, Kasper is a two-way center who combines high-end skating with a physical, two-way game which makes him the perfect 2C for a future NHL contender. Though not a guy with elite scoring skills, Kasper is a terrific playmaker and good scorer, juxtaposed with his elite intangibles and lack of any discernible weakness.
  14. RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia an elite skater and puckhandler, Mesar is a transition beast, regularly turning defenders inside-out with a litany of moves. He’s also a high-end passer and scorer who has put up ridiculous numbers all year in the Slovakian men’s league and has shown marked improvements as the season has progressed. A top line, high-scoring potential player, Mesar might be getting top 10 consideration if he were playing in the CHL or SHL.
  15. RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens SHL the top Swedish export for the 2022 draft, Lekkerimaki plays a very similar game to Kemell — he’s a pure sniper with 30+ goal-scoring ability who is deadly every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone. Also a shrewd playmaker and puckhandler, Lekkerimaki just needs to refine his two-way play to reach his potential as a top-six goal machine at the highest levels.
  16. LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL my top LD for the 2022 class, the young Russian combines high-end skating and dazzling and dynamic offensive skill to put up huge scoring totals at the NHL level. He shows talent in the defensive zone as well, though his commitment to play without the puck needs to match his commitment to creating scoring opportunities. Might wind up the top scoring rearguard from the 2022 class, though his 200-foot play does not offer the potential of higher ranked RDs like Jiricek, Nemec and Chesley.
  17. LW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL maybe the enigma of the 2022 class, Miro’s offensive abilities would have him in the #1 overall conversation if he could play with any consistency of effort or result. His shot is elite, his puck skills are elite, he plays with power and speed… when he is on. A tough player to pass on anywhere after the #3 pick because he could wind up the best player in this draft… or he could miss the NHL entirely. If he’s sitting there anywhere after the #7 pick, Miro is just as scary to pass on as he is to draft.
  18. LW Juri Kulich, Karlovy Czechia as I like to say about Kulich, he does not play north/south hockey so much as he plays north/north — everything the 6’1 Czech does with the puck is funneled towards the net while his play without the puck is in the power-forward style of always crashing the crease; plays with speed and high-end puck skills and has top-six NHL scoring upside.
  19. C Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP this is a player who excels in every tool and aspect of the game except for skating — and unfortunately his so-so speed and agility keeps him out of the top 10 conversation. But McGroarty’s ancillary abilities are all stunningly good, and this is potentially a quality middle six center with excellent scoring upside. He plays a power game with a bear like 6’0-205 frame and his elite shot and excellent puck skills project him as an ideal NHL 2C despite his lack of quickness.
  20. RW Brad Lambert, JYP Finland the best skater in the entire 2022 class and perhaps the finest talent in terms of pure puck skill, Lambert should be in the conversation for #1 overall. Unfortunately, his lack of any commitment to 200-foot play or consistency of compete level has seen him play mediocre hockey all season long. If he picks it up for the second half of the season, this is a kid who could still go top 3, but I’m just not comfortable ranking him higher than his actual play has warranted thus far this season.
  21. LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens J20, Sweden Jr. another player I’m higher on than most, I simply love Ohgren’s versatility, awareness and commitment to team play. He’s also a kid with terrific size, skating and skill. I see him as a stud scoring second-liner who can slot up or down the line-up due to a high offensive IQ and responsible defensive game.
  22. C Conor Geekie, Winnipeg WHL another player who can shoot up this list if he picks up his play for the second half of the season, Geekie is a tremendous (6’4) center with tremendous talent who would be dominant if he played with consistency of compete. However, I couldn’t justify ranking him where most of the consensus does in the top 10 due to my personal policy: with physically huge players I ask myself, where would they be drafted if they were 5’10 instead of 6’4? In Geekie’s case, it might not be in the 1st round, so this is as high as I can justify ranking him for the time being.
  23. C/RW Nathan Gaucher, Quebec QMJHL a power forward who plays a smothering defensive game with a good dose of nastiness, Gaucher is also a terrific skater with size (6’2) and the requisite offensive skill to excel in a middle six role either up the middle or on the wing. An interior player who can shut down the opposition and generate scoring opportunities. Nothing not to like here.
  24. RW Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL the second best draft-eligible in the MHL after only the dynamically skilled Perevalov, Trikozov is a dazzling passer and puck handler with almost magical elusiveness; his elite offensive awareness has him always thinking several steps ahead of the opposition and gives him top-six upside at the NHL level.
  25. LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL an undersized offensive defenseman who can absolutely fly and leave you awed with his transitional ability. Mateychuk is not typical of a 5’11 offense-first blueliner in that he also plays very good, high compete defense. I’d say he’s the most skilled LD of any D in the 2022 class aside from Mintyukov. Mateychuk possesses palpable 40+ point NHL upside while excelling at both breakouts and zone entries.
  26. LD Calle Odelius, Djurgardens J20 Sweden Jr. one of the more underrated D in the draft, Odelius is a two-way force with upside and a litany of intriguing skills while offering no outstanding flaws; I see him as an all-situations stud for an NHL middle pairing. Terrific outlet passer. If he can learn to use his 6’1-190 frame with a bit more of an edge, he would represent a steal at the end of the first round.
  27. LW Isaac Howard, US-NTDP a forechecking beast who plays a high-effort, extremely disruptive game, Howard plays like the perfect middle six forward except that his near-elite shooting ability also gives him NHL scoring line potential. A very likable player, but more of a complimentary winger than a play driver. Still, he’s a heck of a complimentary player.
  28. C Jack Hughes, Northeastern NCAA a maximum-effort two-way center with speed and near-elite playmaking ability, Hughes projects as an NHL center despite his lack of size at 5’10-170. His upside projects to an outstanding middle six center and stud on the PK for whichever team drafts him. Just hopefully not New Jersey, because the back of the jerseys would just be hell to keep track of.
  29. RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL the jack-of-all-trades master-of-none defender is good at virtually everything with no particular standout skill; a very good bet to be a dependable and productive two-way mid-pairing D at the NHL level. If he has one singular standout trait it’s his smarts and smoothness with the puck. Luneau is rock solid and therefore a terrific pick at the end of the first round.
  30. RD Maveric Lamoureaux, Drummondville QMJHL 6’7 giant skates extremely well and plays with unforgiving truculence; one of the best open-ice hitters in the draft and also displays sneaky offensive skill, making him a very unique option for the late first round. You’re going to have to wait awhile while all the parts come together in development, but the upside here is downright unique and extremely compelling.
  31. C Noah Ostlund, Djurgardens J20 Sweden Jr. A small and slight-framed center, Ostlund fears nothing and plays with a ridiculous amount of speed and high-end playmaking; to me, he’s the Sebastian Aho-iest player available this year, if he fills out then look out.
  32. LW Jani Nyman, Koovee Finland I feel a lot of people are sleeping on this big (6’2-200) power forward with the requisite skill to play a middle six role. Nyman crashes creases with reckless abandon and wins battles down low, and he also skates well and plays hard. Just a perfect compliment to your secondary scoring lines and a player with an extremely high floor.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
64gn9q.jpg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would really love any of your 3-7 ranked.

I'm really juiced about the whole top 15 here. Lots of great talents. Keep in mind a few players in my own top 15 are not universally considered this high by the consensus. According to the eliteprospects.com Consolidated Rankings, my #6 Gauthier is 17th, my #8 Perevalov is 27th and my #12 Chesley is 26th. Everyone else in my top 15 is in the Consolidated top 15 except for Marco Kasper, who is pretty close with my ranking of #13 and a Consolidated 18th.

My 4 above-the-consensus players of Gauthier, Perevalov, Chesley and Kasper are replaced in the Consolidated list by Lambert (9th), Miroshnichenko (11th), Geekie (12th) and Casey (15th).

Reactions: My3Sons

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Isn't there a Russian phenom at the top of the draft this year? Could have sworn he was fighting for first overall. I must be confusing him with someone else

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
These are my initial rankings. They may diverge from the consensus, but I’ll be glad to answer any questions about who I have ranked where. These rankings are, of course, likely to change by the draft.
As always, I do not include goalies in my skater rankings. It’s also probably important to note that the Jack Hughes I have listed is not the one we already have.
  1. C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL nothing is more valuable than a two-way, franchise-type center and Shane Wright is precisely such a player. Though he has dipped a bit in some estimation because of a statistically lackluster draft-eligible season, Wright features an advanced defensive game, a dynamic offensive game and elite shooting ability. Though Cooley may have closed the gap a bit, he’s still a shoo-in for the top overall pick.
  2. C Logan Cooley, US-NTDP maybe the top skater in the draft after only Brad Lambert, Cooley is also a sublime two-way center with high-end scoring skills. Not a shooter like Wright, Cooley creates a ton of offense with elite puckhandling and playmaking. His compete level and awareness play up his elite speed and make it seem like he’s everywhere on the ice, every second of every shift. He’s a dynamic and dazzling talent with star 1C potential.
  3. RD David Jiricek, Plzeň Czechia a big (6’3-195) physical shut-down D with the ability to become a top NHL defender, Jiricek is also mobile and excellent with the puck on his stick. He’s been playing in the Czech men’s league for two years and can physically dominate men a decade older while also creating offense with his howitzer shot, probably the best of any defender in the 2022 class. Though Nemec is probably a bit better now, I like Jiricek’s upside to approach the closest thing we’ve seen to prime Dustin Byfuglien since prime Dustin Byfuglien.
  4. RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia a silky-smooth defender both with and without the puck, Nemec has been one of the top defenders in the Slovakian men’s league while piling up points at a record pace for a teenager; might lack a wow factor to his game but possesses clear upside as a top-pairing, all-situations two way defender at the NHL level. He’s the best playmaker and breakout passer of any D in the 2022 class. Nemec is a transition machine who can pretty much do it all.
  5. LW/RW (left shot) Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL a powerful and extremely high-compete interior winger, Yurov is a dual threat offensively with high-level passing and scoring abilities while providing elite hockey IQ; might lack the flashy puck skills of a typical top 5 pick but affects the game positively in every aspect and is the “Mark Stoniest player” in the entire 2022 class
  6. LW/C Cutter Gauthier, US-NTDP the top power forward in the entire 2022 class, the 6’3 Gauthier has it all — breakneck speed, intimidating physicality, high-end shooting and a high-compete two-way game; if his last name was Tkachuk no one would bat an eye. A stud on the PP or PK, a beast in the corners or the crease — Gauthier excels at creating room and space for high-skill players like Cooley and Nazar, while also offering the generative offensive talents to compliment them on the scoresheet.
  7. LW Juraj Slafkovsky, TPS Finland a 6’4 behemoth who dominates with a power game down low, Slafkovsky is also a unicorn in the sense that he has silky soft hands and absolutely elite passing ability to match smaller skill forwards in the 2022 class like Cooley and Savoie. If he puts it all together he can be a rare top-line talent at the NHL level.
  8. RW Alexander Perevalov, Loko Yaroslavl MHL if you’re not familiar with this stellar young talent then get familiar — Perevalov has elite passing and shooting skills with off-the-charts intangibles of hockey sense and compete level; makes a difference even when he does not score, but his dominating MHL numbers will tell you that he also usually scores.
  9. C/RW Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg WHL simply an offensive weapon, Savoie dazzles with flashy puck skills, seemingly psychic passing vision and a laser of a shot. A lack of size (5’9) and elite skating might push him to the wing at the NHL level, but this is a kid who will put points up at any level — his pure offensive skill might be the very best of any player available in the 2022 class.
  10. RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP a sublimely skilled and lightning-quick forward who plays with creativity, intelligence and maximum effort, Nazar has top line, high-scoring NHL upside. He’s also versatile both positionally and situationally with the ability to excel on the PK or PP — the type of player who is out there in a close game late, whether the team is looking to knot the score or protect a lead. He’s capable of outright wizardry with the puck and extremely fun to watch, unless you are one of the unfortunate souls trying to defend against him.
  11. RW Joakim Kemell, JYP Finland perhaps the best pure sniper in the 2022 class, Kemell also plays a solid and competitive 200-foot game. Kemell compliments his elite shooting with very good puck skills and passing vision. After a record-setting scoring pace to start the season in Liiga, Kemell has cooled a bit but still represents the closest thing you’ll get to Alexander Holtz in this year’s draft.
  12. RD Ryan Chesley, US-NTDP the top physical, shut-down defender in the 2022 class, this is the kind of player you win with. Far from just a plodding throwback, Chesley is a fantastic skater who is very capable with the puck and has 1PP upside due to a cannon-like shot, perhaps the best of any defender in this draft aside from Jiricek. We cannot overstate how difficult it is to find shut-down defenders who also contribute offensively and in transition, and this is why I have Chesley ranked higher than anyone else I’ve seen.
  13. C Marco Kasper, Rogle Sweden Austria’s latest first round product, Kasper is a two-way center who combines high-end skating with a physical, two-way game which makes him the perfect 2C for a future NHL contender. Though not a guy with elite scoring skills, Kasper is a terrific playmaker and good scorer, juxtaposed with his elite intangibles and lack of any discernible weakness.
  14. RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia an elite skater and puckhandler, Mesar is a transition beast, regularly turning defenders inside-out with a litany of moves. He’s also a high-end passer and scorer who has put up ridiculous numbers all year in the Slovakian men’s league and has shown marked improvements as the season has progressed. A top line, high-scoring potential player, Mesar might be getting top 10 consideration if he were playing in the CHL or SHL.
  15. RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens SHL the top Swedish export for the 2022 draft, Lekkerimaki plays a very similar game to Kemell — he’s a pure sniper with 30+ goal-scoring ability who is deadly every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone. Also a shrewd playmaker and puckhandler, Lekkerimaki just needs to refine his two-way play to reach his potential as a top-six goal machine at the highest levels.
  16. LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL my top LD for the 2022 class, the young Russian combines high-end skating and dazzling and dynamic offensive skill to put up huge scoring totals at the NHL level. He shows talent in the defensive zone as well, though his commitment to play without the puck needs to match his commitment to creating scoring opportunities. Might wind up the top scoring rearguard from the 2022 class, though his 200-foot play does not offer the potential of higher ranked RDs like Jiricek, Nemec and Chesley.
  17. LW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL maybe the enigma of the 2022 class, Miro’s offensive abilities would have him in the #1 overall conversation if he could play with any consistency of effort or result. His shot is elite, his puck skills are elite, he plays with power and speed… when he is on. A tough player to pass on anywhere after the #3 pick because he could wind up the best player in this draft… or he could miss the NHL entirely. If he’s sitting there anywhere after the #7 pick, Miro is just as scary to pass on as he is to draft.
  18. LW Juri Kulich, Karlovy Czechia as I like to say about Kulich, he does not play north/south hockey so much as he plays north/north — everything the 6’1 Czech does with the puck is funneled towards the net while his play without the puck is in the power-forward style of always crashing the crease; plays with speed and high-end puck skills and has top-six NHL scoring upside.
  19. C Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP this is a player who excels in every tool and aspect of the game except for skating — and unfortunately his so-so speed and agility keeps him out of the top 10 conversation. But McGroarty’s ancillary abilities are all stunningly good, and this is potentially a quality middle six center with excellent scoring upside. He plays a power game with a bear like 6’0-205 frame and his elite shot and excellent puck skills project him as an ideal NHL 2C despite his lack of quickness.
  20. RW Brad Lambert, JYP Finland the best skater in the entire 2022 class and perhaps the finest talent in terms of pure puck skill, Lambert should be in the conversation for #1 overall. Unfortunately, his lack of any commitment to 200-foot play or consistency of compete level has seen him play mediocre hockey all season long. If he picks it up for the second half of the season, this is a kid who could still go top 3, but I’m just not comfortable ranking him higher than his actual play has warranted thus far this season.
  21. LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens J20, Sweden Jr. another player I’m higher on than most, I simply love Ohgren’s versatility, awareness and commitment to team play. He’s also a kid with terrific size, skating and skill. I see him as a stud scoring second-liner who can slot up or down the line-up due to a high offensive IQ and responsible defensive game.
  22. C Conor Geekie, Winnipeg WHL another player who can shoot up this list if he picks up his play for the second half of the season, Geekie is a tremendous (6’4) center with tremendous talent who would be dominant if he played with consistency of compete. However, I couldn’t justify ranking him where most of the consensus does in the top 10 due to my personal policy: with physically huge players I ask myself, where would they be drafted if they were 5’10 instead of 6’4? In Geekie’s case, it might not be in the 1st round, so this is as high as I can justify ranking him for the time being.
  23. C/RW Nathan Gaucher, Quebec QMJHL a power forward who plays a smothering defensive game with a good dose of nastiness, Gaucher is also a terrific skater with size (6’2) and the requisite offensive skill to excel in a middle six role either up the middle or on the wing. An interior player who can shut down the opposition and generate scoring opportunities. Nothing not to like here.
  24. RW Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL the second best draft-eligible in the MHL after only the dynamically skilled Perevalov, Trikozov is a dazzling passer and puck handler with almost magical elusiveness; his elite offensive awareness has him always thinking several steps ahead of the opposition and gives him top-six upside at the NHL level.
  25. LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL an undersized offensive defenseman who can absolutely fly and leave you awed with his transitional ability. Mateychuk is not typical of a 5’11 offense-first blueliner in that he also plays very good, high compete defense. I’d say he’s the most skilled LD of any D in the 2022 class aside from Mintyukov. Mateychuk possesses palpable 40+ point NHL upside while excelling at both breakouts and zone entries.
  26. LD Calle Odelius, Djurgardens J20 Sweden Jr. one of the more underrated D in the draft, Odelius is a two-way force with upside and a litany of intriguing skills while offering no outstanding flaws; I see him as an all-situations stud for an NHL middle pairing. Terrific outlet passer. If he can learn to use his 6’1-190 frame with a bit more of an edge, he would represent a steal at the end of the first round.
  27. LW Isaac Howard, US-NTDP a forechecking beast who plays a high-effort, extremely disruptive game, Howard plays like the perfect middle six forward except that his near-elite shooting ability also gives him NHL scoring line potential. A very likable player, but more of a complimentary winger than a play driver. Still, he’s a heck of a complimentary player.
  28. C Jack Hughes, Northeastern NCAA a maximum-effort two-way center with speed and near-elite playmaking ability, Hughes projects as an NHL center despite his lack of size at 5’10-170. His upside projects to an outstanding middle six center and stud on the PK for whichever team drafts him. Just hopefully not New Jersey, because the back of the jerseys would just be hell to keep track of.
  29. RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL the jack-of-all-trades master-of-none defender is good at virtually everything with no particular standout skill; a very good bet to be a dependable and productive two-way mid-pairing D at the NHL level. If he has one singular standout trait it’s his smarts and smoothness with the puck. Luneau is rock solid and therefore a terrific pick at the end of the first round.
  30. RD Maveric Lamoureaux, Drummondville QMJHL 6’7 giant skates extremely well and plays with unforgiving truculence; one of the best open-ice hitters in the draft and also displays sneaky offensive skill, making him a very unique option for the late first round. You’re going to have to wait awhile while all the parts come together in development, but the upside here is downright unique and extremely compelling.
  31. C Noah Ostlund, Djurgardens J20 Sweden Jr. A small and slight-framed center, Ostlund fears nothing and plays with a ridiculous amount of speed and high-end playmaking; to me, he’s the Sebastian Aho-iest player available this year, if he fills out then look out.
  32. LW Jani Nyman, Koovee Finland I feel a lot of people are sleeping on this big (6’2-200) power forward with the requisite skill to play a middle six role. Nyman crashes creases with reckless abandon and wins battles down low, and he also skates well and plays hard. Just a perfect compliment to your secondary scoring lines and a player with an extremely high floor.
Smart move, Steve. Rank top prospects first. Than you rank higher players with great compete level and dedication. That`s smart.

For example 2020 draft. Players with high compete level, good involvement and good overall game are performing pretty well for their draft position and expectations. Or even better. Lundell, Sanderson, Raymond, Reichel, Rossi, Neighbours, I think even Amirov play pretty well, he is reabilitating his game after injury. Even 2021 draft. Sillinger. Great compete level for this age. And look at him!

Ofcourse it doesn`t mean we need forget about pure skill, talent etc, that`s not, but when we try to find a way to pick a better player, who will find his way to be legit NHLer... I think you decide to use pretty safe strategy, Steve) What a tricky one.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
You might be thinking of Matvei Mitchkov, but he’s in next years draft.
Took a quick google and I think you're right, though Id be lying if I acted like I knew his name in the first place lol

But Michkov sounds close I think. Ill have to look him up one day this year, beause Ive seen Connor Bedard and.. well, if this Michkov is competing with him I need to see it for myself

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Took a quick google and I think you're right, though Id be lying if I acted like I knew his name in the first place lol

But Michkov sounds close I think. Ill have to look him up one day this year, beause Ive seen Connor Bedard and.. well, if this Michkov is competing with him I need to see it for myself
I don’t know jack about prospects I’m just decent at remembering rankings, but yes he is the one who everyone talks about along with Bedard.

Reactions: Rydev

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Michkov is absolutely stunning. There's no other way to describe him. But I can't get too into it right now, I'm pretty busy with the 2022 draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Smart move, Steve. Rank top prospects first. Than you rank higher players with great compete level and dedication. That`s smart.

For example 2020 draft. Players with high compete level, good involvement and good overall game are performing pretty well for their draft position and expectations. Or even better. Lundell, Sanderson, Raymond, Reichel, Rossi, Neighbours, I think even Amirov play pretty well, he is reabilitating his game after injury. Even 2021 draft. Sillinger. Great compete level for this age. And look at him!

Ofcourse it doesn`t mean we need forget about pure skill, talent etc, that`s not, but when we try to find a way to pick a better player, who will find his way to be legit NHLer... I think you decide to use pretty safe strategy, Steve) What a tricky one.

It is indeed tricky, and I take a lot of time sorting out my rankings. But you're absolutely correct in your assessment of me -- my most inordinately high forward rankings are players with elite compete levels to compliment their skills -- Gauthier, Perevalov and Kasper -- while my most inordinately low rankings are players who don't necessarily work as hard on the ice -- Lambert, Geekie and Miroshnichenko.

With defensemen -- as you absolutely know -- I tend to rank on the basis of their defensive play more than offensive production. My most inordinately high rankings here are two very good defenders -- Chesley and Odelius -- while a consistent top 20 guy in most rankings like Ty Nelson didn't even make the cut for my top 50 which I used to formulate my list. Quite simply, if you can't play D I don't consider you a very draftable defenseman, and this unfortunately applies too much to Nelson for my tastes.

Again, it's not a final list and a lot will change before the season ends and the draft day nears.

Devilcake

Jul 19, 2011
Sweden
I'm really juiced about the whole top 15 here. Lots of great talents. Keep in mind a few players in my own top 15 are not universally considered this high by the consensus. According to the eliteprospects.com Consolidated Rankings, my #6 Gauthier is 17th, my #8 Perevalov is 27th and my #12 Chesley is 26th. Everyone else in my top 15 is in the Consolidated top 15 except for Marco Kasper, who is pretty close with my ranking of #13 and a Consolidated 18th.

My 4 above-the-consensus players of Gauthier, Perevalov, Chesley and Kasper are replaced in the Consolidated list by Lambert (9th), Miroshnichenko (11th), Geekie (12th) and Casey (15th).
Your bit on Gauthier really sold me him. He seems to be what we need.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Your bit on Gauthier really sold me him. He seems to be what we need.

Gauthier is certainly very physical and intense, to which he adds speed, skill and an absolutely wicked shot. He plays with a "don't %$*# with me or my linemates" mentality and dominates down low. But he also plays excellent two-way hockey, is capable of lining up at center or the LW, and can display some outstanding skill to generate his own offense.

On offense alone, there are some people I've ranked after Gauthier who provide more raw ability -- certainly names like Savoie and Kemell and Lekkerimaki. But those are all players who also have weaknesses to work on, and Gauthier has none. And Gauthier's power game also makes him rather unique in today's NHL. I'd be very confident drafting him towards the back half of the top 10.

Reactions: My3Sons

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm in love with the both nemec and jiricek. I'm a nemec guy, if I have to choose, though. Think his hockey sense is a step up and that's the fundamental skill I like to bet on. They're both awesome, though.

Would be super stoked if the Devils walk away with one of them

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I haven’t read up much about any of these prospects yet, but I’ve been intrigued but what I’ve read about Cooley, Nemec, Savoie, and Kemell so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad