2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I’ll name few notable names for every team.

Canada: Brayden Yager, Cameron Allen, Lukas Dragicevic (But in reality the entire Canada squad are notable prospects.)

Czechia: Eduard Sale, Dominik Petr, Jakub Dvorak

Sweden: Otto Stenberg, Theo Lindstein, Kalle Carlsson

Germany: Paul Vinzens, Paul Mayer, Edwin Tropmann

Slovakia: Dalibor Dvorsky, Jakub Chromiak, Ondrej Molnar

Finland: Jesse Kiiskanen, Jesse Nurmi, Emil Jarventie

USA: Charlie Stramel, Will Smith, Oliver Moore

Switzerland: Kimo Grubner, Valdemar William Hull, Kevin Zurchner
I don’t think Dvorsky will end playing in HGC by time it rolls around. Head coach said he plans to use him in both tournaments but I think in the end Fenes will decide that we have an overall better shot at doing well in WJC, so no point in potentially risking injury. I’d swap Tomas Pobezal there instead

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Had no idea Bonk settled in Ottawa, interesting.
We keep losing 'our' boys to this.lol

Pivonka for the states
2 (!!!) Hejduk's to states
Bonk
Musil (who we got back.haha)
Zidlicky was 50-50

Slovakia's Stastny's as well.

And, to be clear, it is all 100% legit and I'm not saying it is controversial. Eg. if Gretzky or Lemieux had hockey playing kids they'd represent the US too.

But, given our small (tiny) talent pool.. it hurts!

Don't even get me started on Sebastian Korda in tennis.haha

Reactions: canuck2010

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We keep losing 'our' boys to this.lol

Pivonka for the states
2 (!!!) Hejduk's to states
Bonk
Musil (who we got back.haha)
Zidlicky was 50-50

Slovakia's Stastny's as well.

And, to be clear, it is all 100% legit and I'm not saying it is controversial. Eg. if Gretzky or Lemieux had hockey playing kids they'd represent the US too.

But, given our small (tiny) talent pool.. it hurts!

Don't even get me started on Sebastian Korda in tennis.haha
Yeah, it's part of the deal with the NHL being state dominated teams( although in this rare case it's Canada that benefits), We've been taking it up the ass for a long time now, only now the european teams are feeling it too, it hurts for sure.

I hate to say this but you are going to have to get used to it unfortunately.

You would like to think the boys would have more loyalty then that........but they don't, we know that all too well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah, it's part of the deal with the NHL being state dominated teams( although in this rare case it's Canada that benefits), We've been taking it up the ass for a long time now, only now the european teams are feeling it too, it hurts for sure.

I hate to say this but you are going to have to get used to it unfortunately.

You would like to think the boys would have more loyalty then that........but they don't, we know that all too well.
You're a good poster but this is such a tired argument. Canada is one of the chief beneficiaries when it comes to immigration and sports.

Reactions: Jussi

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You're a good poster but this is such a tired argument. Canada is one of the chief beneficiaries when it comes to immigration and sports.
well, it's not so much an argument as a lamentation.

In other sports I agree,we very much benefit, in hockey not so much, and really that is the sport I most care about. You couple that with a pretty healthy rivalry with the U.S in hockey now and well..................a guy like me who is passionate about Canadian hockey is going to feel that.

I get what you are saying but I think you can see it from my side (while not necessarily agreeing with it)...............that it hurts to see all those players sons playing for someone other then Canada.

You just have to put yourself in my shoes for a moment, would you like it if it was the other way around? I mean, it's not a killer or anything, but man, it stings when you really care about the health of the national team. Czech boy was talking about that and I get where he is coming from, you feel the pinch if you know what i mean and I think you do because we are both pretty patriotic and hard core fans of our National programs in this sport specifically. I mean, I haven't seen anyone here that knows your national team program in hockey better then you and guys like bonney and san dog brewin.

And please don't get me wrong, the U.S has a great development program, their record speaks for itself with or without any of those players. Quite simply, it's one of the very best in the world now.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Here was Germany's roster last year at the u17's. Roster should look somewhat similar. You may see Max Herzog, Maximillian Brunner, Nick Maul, Tobias Schwarz have shots at the roster as '06's - As for additional '05's you have Julian Michalik, Norwin Panocha, Jan-Felix Faupel, Jonas Mommensohn, Moritz Weissenhorn and Nikita Tschwanow who all have shots to make the team

I would also consider Nico Pertuch as another '05 option in goal. Next to Willerscheid, he is my favourite '05 goalie.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
well, it's not so much an argument as a lamentation.

In other sports I agree,we very much benefit, in hockey not so much, and really that is the sport I most care about. You couple that with a pretty healthy rivalry with the U.S in hockey now and well..................a guy like me who is passionate about Canadian hockey is going to feel that.

I get what you are saying but I think you can see it from my side (while not necessarily agreeing with it)...............that it hurts to see all those players sons playing for someone other then Canada.

You just have to put yourself in my shoes for a moment, would you like it if it was the other way around? I mean, it's not a killer or anything, but man, it stings when you really care about the health of the national team. Czech boy was talking about that and I get where he is coming from, you feel the pinch if you know what i mean and I think you do because we are both pretty patriotic and hard core fans of our National programs in this sport specifically. I mean, I haven't seen anyone here that knows your national team program in hockey better then you and guys like bonney and san dog brewin.

And please don't get me wrong, the U.S has a great development program, their record speaks for itself with or without any of those players. Quite simply, it's one of the very best in the world now.

I can relate to this. I've cheered for Canadian teams in international hockey over 8 decades. It's weird when Canadians that you cheered on rabidly are sitting in the rink supporting their sons while they play for another country. The USA does have a built in advantage with the greatest number of professional teams and benefits through something as artificial as the NHL draft. C'est la vie I guess. I know longer get as worked up as I used to, anger has turned to disappointment to, as you say a lament lol. I feel the same for fans in other smaller hockey nations as well.

I'm finding myself less interested in both international hockey and the results there of. Part of my "we all need to get along on this poor bedraggled tragic planet" philosophy.

Reactions: jj cale

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why didn't Canada participate in 2021?

Also who sponsors this tournament? It's not IIHF as far as I can tell (they have the Under-18s)

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The current training camp roster for Germany:

Pos.NachnameVornameGeb.-Dat.Verein 2022/23
GKDögeDean27.11.2005Eisbären Juniors Berlin
GKStockerPaul29.05.2005Starbulls Rosenheim
GKPertuchNico29.07.2005EV Landshut
GKWillerscheidLeon10.04.2005Kölner EC
DFFischerJonas02.02.2002ESV Kaufbeuren
DFBoseckerLars Lion18.09.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
DFMayerPaul25.09.2005Jungadler Mannheim
DFKölschTjark10.02.2005Jungadler Mannheim
DFPeukertJakob27.11.2005ESV Kaufbeuren
DFVladelchtchikovAlexander18.01.2005Kölner EC
DFWeissenhornMoritz29.06.2005Augsburger EV
DFKühnhauserKilian09.02.2005Starbulls Rosenheim
DFNiehusLua26.03.2005Jungadler Mannheim
DFLimonovMaxim14.02.2005Augsburger EV
DFLemkePaul25.07.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWTschwanowNikita19.10.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWSumpfJulius11.01.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWBrandlLinus01.04.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWSchreinerVadim25.08.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWSamanskiNoah12.05.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWRuckdäschelTimo01.04.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWJakovlevRaphael21.12.2005EV Landshut
FWBickerKevin29.01.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWVinzensPaul21.09.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWKinzelLuca18.07.2005HC Davos
FWRennerFlorian26.05.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWKopietzLukas Benedikt18.06.2005Kölner EC
FWBauhof Leon30.07.2005Schwenninger ERC
FWKhaydarovArtjom06.10.2005Jungadler Mannheim

They got the data for Jonas Fischer mixed up. They used the poistion and birthdate of the defenseman playing for Riessersee, but the player on this roster is forward for Kaufbeuren who is born on 01/05/05.

Reactions: JotAlan

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This not a best on best tournament.

It is though.

Teams don’t have hindrances for who they choose for their rosters, it is by definition best-on-best. All players from the respective hockey federations are available to be chosen. Just because the USA chooses to send USHL players rather than the USNTDP is their choice.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It is though.

Teams don’t have hindrances for who they choose for their rosters, it is by definition best-on-best. All players from the respective hockey federations are available to be chosen. Just because the USA chooses to send USHL players rather than the USNTDP is their choice.
Some of the best under-18s are there, but far from all of them. Even Canada doesn't have all the best players, McDavid never even played in this.

Reactions: Jussi

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Some of the best under-18s are there, but far from all of them. Even Canada doesn't have all the best players, McDavid never even played in this.
This was probably a complete exception, otherwise Canada always has all the best players.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's also an August tournament, so it is what it is.
good point as well, players aren't exactly in peak form (ala the WJC or even Under-18s which are end of season)... I'm not saying don't enjoy it or whatever, but I think acting like it's the pinnacle of Under-18 hockey is a stretch

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
It is though.

Nah, and this is a rationalization more than an argument. Every county has the ability to send its best to every tournament if they really wanted, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey could try to convince the NHL to release players to go to the worlds every year, despite the NHL playoffs. Of course the NHL would never agree, and most of the players would never give up on a chance for the Stanley Cup, but that doesn't mean that players aren't theoretically available to play. Draw the thread long enough and every tournament is therefore a best-on-best.

A 'best-on-best' tournament is one where most of the best players are there. Every country will have players who don't participate for whatever reason, but when one of the top nations deliberately chooses to send a developmental squad for every single tournament, that definitively makes it other than a 'best-on-best.' I suppose if the US sent their B team once or twice over the years, that would be a different kettle of rocks altogether. But the fact that the federation views this as development/identification opportunity rather than a summer world championships really takes away from a true best-on-best designation.

None of this should distract from the Hlinka is, by the way. It's a great summer tournament which features most of the best U-18 talent. The hockey is very good and and it's a great opportunity to see high-end players against their peers, often for the first time. It's a real shame the US doesn't take it more seriously, but sorry, it just doesn't pass the bar for best-on-best.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad