2022 European Men's Handball Championship

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Two Norwegian players tested positive today. Bergerud and Gullerud. Will be interesting to see if they infected any of the Swedish players. Hopefully not, but I guess they were likely infectious yesterday - and Gullerud probably was in close contact with more or less the whole team.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I would argue Denmark are bigger favourites than France. Should be fresh and good to go.

Hopefully two good games.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Another player out for Sweden, Lukas Sandell. Also Wanne seems to be out. What a joke this tournament is.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Happy to see Mikkel Hansen and his greasy hairband lose in the semis.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sweden are so well coached :thumbu:

I wish Norway had someone like Gottfridsson when matches are tight.

Whenever Norway play France they always got good goalkeeping. Different when they play Sweden.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Gottfridsson is like Granqvist in the 2018 World Cup. Unreal leadership and domiance. Wallinius came in and dominated after playing 20 minutes in the entire tournament. So impressive from Sweden today.

And Eye of Ra might need to realise that Solberg is a good coach soon.

Reactions: Brunkmeister

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Gottfridsson is like Granqvist in the 2018 World Cup. Unreal leadership and domiance. Wallinius came in and dominated after playing 20 minutes in the entire tournament. So impressive from Sweden today.

And Eye of Ra might need to realise that Solberg is a good coach soon.

Eye of Ra thought Bosnia and Czech Republic were better than Sweden lol.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Eye of Ra thought Bosnia and Czech Republic were better than Sweden lol.
No doubt that Sweden at worst are fourth in the world right now, in general. And considering what just happened, top 2 is a reasonable claim.

But no, he doesn’t think that for real. He’s not being serious.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This last tournaments is with covid. I dont take it serious. Too many players gone.

Also no denying Sweden had massive luck. We hardly advance from the group stage.

Its only homer swedes who say Sweden is a top 10 nation in Handboll. Lets ask the non-swedes in this thread? Then u will see.

We all know Spain is gonna win with 5+ goals in the final.

However, no denying that Sweden was top 3 from 1990-2002.

Solberg is a good coach, but he needs to understand that players with great offensive like Jeppesson but shitty d can still play, when its time for defence, Jepesson goes to the bench and will be replaced fast with a good defenders. Thats how many teams does it, so why not Sweden?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Men’s handball has been a bit strange. We have seen dynasty’s like the Swedish and the French, but generally speaking the top 10 or whatever teams are extremely evenly matched (so these dynasty’s should have been possible). I’m not sure where I would place Sweden. In terms of “stars” they are not all that high up, but difficult to argue against their results over the last years. I agree it feels like they are “overachieving”, but when you do year after year one might want to reevaluate - and start to think they might be better than first assumed.

I have no idea how I would rank the top teams now. Denmark got ridiculous depth with good and very good player and generally speaking fantastic goalkeeping. I would still take Norway except for goalkeeping in terms of player for player in attack, but Norway hasn’t played well as a team (except for individual matches) for quite some time now. And even when they were good they completely failed in the finals. Losing is fair enough, but being crushed like they did is different. France and Spain are good, but they rely quite heavily on some ageing players now. Then there are so many teams who can get to the later rounds. Egypt has made it. Some of the “traditional” countries like Croatia will at times have great teams. Germany is often surprisingly poor considering the strength of their league, but obviously will have great teams at times etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see quite a few different teams reaching tournament finals over the next years. I don’t see a new Sweden or France popping up. Denmark might be the closest. If Hansen and Landin had been 10 years younger maybe.

A close friend of mine is a former professional handball player from Spain. So I’m a bit torn for the final. I always support Sweden, at least when all the other Nordic teams are out, but I know my friend really really wants Spain to win. Leaning slightly towards Sweden in terms of support and towards Spain in terms of who I think will win. Considering I got both semi’s wrong - this looks promising.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
It’s just bullshit not saying Sweden is at least top 5 in the world. There is no way in hell that a worse team than top 5 would reach back to back finals. I would not trade Jim Gottfridsson for any player in the world also.

Reactions: AB13

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well. I wouldn’t go that far. Too much randomness in handball. If O’Sullivan doesn’t give away two goals we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Those are the margins in handball. Even yesterday it is quite astonishing that France do not equalise. And when was the last time France had FOUR saves? Credit to the Swedes for shooting well, but of course there is some randomness to it. I don’t know, but I would have guessed we are talking many years since France only had four saves. If it has even ever happened before.

If you asked a bunch of people to list their top five I think only Denmark and probably France would basically always be included.

Then there is a bunch of countries. Where Sweden would be one of them.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden and Spain are clearly in the top 5 for almost everyone now, I would think. One of Iceland, Norway and Egypt complete the list.

And I almost agree about Gottfridsson. Wouldn’t trade him for Sagosen or a washed Karabatic. Landin or Hansen are still better probably but I wouldn’t want them over Gottfridsson on my team. I think many people overvalue leadership abilities but in Gottfridssons case it really does give him an edge over the rest, alongside his completeness.

I’m nowhere near as knowlegdeable about handball and some others on here though I would guess. So I really can’t say. Mostly watch international tournaments.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don’t think that is clearly at all. One goal away from not even getting out of the group.

Karabatic isn’t special any longer. Good yes, but not special. Sagosen hasn’t been a consistent force for Norway for quite some time. Gottfridsson quite clearly has outperformed him the last years on international level.

Still hopefully Sagosen will get back to his best. He has many years left and maybe no surprise that he would have a dip in form at some point. Sagosen from a couple of years back was so so good. Unfortunately Norway didn’t have the depth to support him. That is better now - and will be even better when we get healthier.

There will be new stars coming through of course. Gidsel and others. But a lot of the best players are currently around 30 and up. Not all that unusual for handball, but guys like Karabatic, Hansen, Duvnjak etc have been playing for almost as long as I can remember. It will be interesting to see how all these players retiring will change the landscape. Sweden might not be so badly positioned. Without me having looked up players and their age. Gottfridsson looks like he is 39 when he plays, but he should have many many good years left. I think his style will age well.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The world class players that was before Hansen, Duvjnak and Karabatic was in my book even better. Ivano Balic, Magnus Wislander, Jackson Richardson, Olafur Stefansson, Yoon Kyung-shin...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The world class players that was before Hansen, Duvjnak and Karabatic was in my book even better. Ivano Balic, Magnus Wislander, Jackson Richardson, Olafur Stefansson, Yoon Kyung-shin...
I don't think you can much better than Karabatic in terms of always being at the to for so long. Richardson doesn't compare IMO.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In terms of peak ability in attack I don’t see how you beat Balic. But handball is more than just attack. So not sure where I would place Balic overall. High, but not first.

Karabatic is in my opinion without a doubt the best player if you consider attack, defence and longevity. Behind him it is more difficult to say. Wislander would be there of course. Crazy longevity and ridiculous how much he won.

But that wasn’t the point with my post. My point was that we will most likely see some changes in which teams are going to be the best as the “old guard” is getting too old. Hansen has performed for Denmark at the highest level over the last years, but Karabatic is not what he used to be. Neither is Duvjnak even if he was amazing in the Euro 2020. I also think we have seen the best of Hansen. Not to say they will suddenly turn to bad players, but it would surprise me if they get back to being the absolute best again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00