2022 European Men's Handball Championship

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You said that Serbia (a team that hasn't done shit in eons) not coming out of their group is a surprise :laugh:. And then reinforced your hilarious take by saying Croatia did nothing for years. No one is arguing if they are top 3 or not.

Anyway, this who tournament is a travesty, Duvnjak can't play because of Corona, Cindric came to play after being bed-ridden and you can see he can't breathe after playing for more than a couple of mins, Stepancic not there, the corpse of Mirko Alilovic being called up because of Corona, more than 10+ players were changed because of positive test etc. Just insane this is going through.

And in all of this, Karabatic is playing despite testing positive :laugh: EHF and IHF are doing everything in their power to ruin this game.

Yeah you are right, Croatia is better than Serbia. But i think Serbia is underated, they have many good players but shit coaches and other problems.

I would say Croatia together with Germany and Norway is the best nations behind France, France and Denmark.

I would rank top 10 overall:

1: Denmark
2: France
3: Spain
4: Norway
5: Croatia
6: Germany
7: Slovenia
8: Hungary
9: Iceland
10: Egypt

(not just right now but recent years)

Regarding corona, i think only Norway is healthy?

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Norway vs Sweden for the semifinal spot. Norway looks much stronger than Sweden.

Tomorrows Covid-cases will decide :laugh: Right now it looks like Norway once again are the lucky ones.

I have expected Norway to do better than Sweden both in Tokyo and Egypt. Arguable in Tokyo they ended up the same, but at least Sweden was in the tournament - Norway looked poor all through the tournament. In Egypt Sweden were obviously far better than Norway. Maybe now things are a bit more like they "should" be. I don't know. I don't think this Norway team got the same potential as earlier (missing Johanessen and Rød - which at times have been among our 2-3 best players), but it seems like it has a decent harmony.

If Sweden can defend well and catch Norway on the counter attack (that isn't easy). Then I could see Sweden winning this. If Sweden has to play against an organized defence for most of the game I think Norway will win quite comfortably. Sweden rarely scores many goals against an organized defence these days. A bit like Spain yesterday - without any "easy" goals they never got going.

I'll give it something like 75/25 Norway - partly because of Sweden's Covid-cases. Without them it would have been closer.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Tomorrows Covid-cases will decide :laugh: Right now it looks like Norway once again are the lucky ones.

I have expected Norway to do better than Sweden both in Tokyo and Egypt. Arguable in Tokyo they ended up the same, but at least Sweden was in the tournament - Norway looked poor all through the tournament. In Egypt Sweden were obviously far better than Norway. Maybe now things are a bit more like they "should" be. I don't know. I don't think this Norway team got the same potential as earlier (missing Johanessen and Rød - which at times have been among our 2-3 best players), but it seems like it has a decent harmony.

If Sweden can defend well and catch Norway on the counter attack (that isn't easy). Then I could see Sweden winning this. If Sweden has to play against an organized defence for most of the game I think Norway will win quite comfortably. Sweden rarely scores many goals against an organized defence these days. A bit like Spain yesterday - without any "easy" goals they never got going.

I'll give it something like 75/25 Norway - partly because of Sweden's Covid-cases. Without them it would have been closer.

May i ask what was Norway doing 2000-2010? So many good players, Sollberg, Berge, Kjelling, Löke, Hagen, Stian Tönnesen, Myrhol, Tvedten, Lund. So many good players and yet Norway was not even close to the top during this years.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Norway is a funny (or sad) team. Got 4 medals between 2016 and 2020. Looked terrible in Tokyo and poor in Egypt. I have no idea why. Obviously all teams struggle with injuries, but they can never get fit.

Personally I think Norway is at least on par with France in terms of individual talent when they are all at their best. Few will probably agree with me, but I would say the same for Norway vs. Denmark except for the goalkeeper (which of course in handball is rather important).

Norway is a bit like the Canucks 10 years ago or so. So close, but when it really matters they for whatever reason get some injuries and fold.

Current core got quite a few years left though - so I haven't given up on a gold just yet - even if I would be shocked if it happened in this tournament.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
May i ask what was Norway doing 2000-2010? So many good players, Sollberg, Berge, Kjelling, Löke, Hagen, Stian Tönnesen, Myrhol, Tvedten, Lund. So many good players and yet Norway was not even close to the top during this years.

Norway never had a team. Depth was typically very poor. Especially among left handed players. Also players like Kjelling and partly Hagen always played better at club level (a bit like Reinkind now - even if he has been good in this tournament - for the first time for the national team). Kjelling (who is a fantastic commentator and analyst by the way) was often very very poor for the national team. It seemed like he wanted it too much.

So yeah - Norway were a team with 1-2-3 "superstars", but never a full team.

Boy I wish we had Solberg now. With him this current Norwegian team would have been amazing.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
partly because of Sweden's Covid-cases. Without them it would have been closer.

We are missing Ekberg, Pallicka, Claar, Pettersson, Persson and Darj.

Appelgren and Pellas should have been on the team but injured before tournament. Jeppesson and Andreas Nilsson not selected, for some weird reason. Same with Tollbring, who is better than Chrintz.

Trust me you dont want Solberg as the coach. He is choosing too many grinders.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I wanted Solberg the player - not the coach. Not that I mind him as a coach - considering his lack of experience I think he is doing very well.

More than happy with Berge. Even if the last tournaments have been disappointing. He seems to have learned a bit by resting players more now. Solberg will probably get the job at some point in the future - which I wouldn't mind. Time will tell.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Speaking of Norway, Kolstad will have a super team. I guess the sucess of Ålborg have inspired them. Bergerud, Smarason, Aga, Gudjonsson, Gullerud, Sagosen, Röd and Johanessen is joining them. Emil Nielsen, Andreas Nilsson, Gudmundsson, Toft Hansen and Tonnesen is rumored to them aswell. Gonna be some epic battles beetween Kolstad and Elverum.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Speaking of Norway, Kolstad will have a super team. I guess the sucess of Ålborg have inspired them. Bergerud, Smarason, Aga, Gudjonsson, Gullerud, Sagosen, Röd and Johanessen is joining them. Emil Nielsen, Andreas Nilsson, Gudmundsson, Toft Hansen and Tonnesen is rumored to them aswell. Gonna be some epic battles beetween Kolstad and Elverum.

My old team. A shame I retired :laugh:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Embarrassing first half from Sweden.

Handball is a funny game though. So this isn't over - even if it would be quite odd if Norway lost this now.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Three straight penalty misses. That killed all of our chances. Embarrassing.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Talking about embarrassing halfs. Jesus. Not sure what is wrong with this Norwegian team. I guess they will rescue this in the end, but so unnecessary.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. O'Sullivan is Swedish?

Credit to the Swedes though. For having got themselves step by step into the game.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Haha. O'Sullivan is Swedish?

Credit to the Swedes though. For having got themselves step by step into the game.

Some think Sullivan is swedish becuse he played some season for Kristianstad. Some think he is Brit becuse of his name...

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I love Berge, but he has to go now. It is pathetic how many times Norway have lost big games in embarrassing ways.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Some think Sullivan is swedish becuse he played some season for Kristianstad. Some think he is Brit becuse of his name...

Giving Sweden two easy goals when they are 4 goals behind and only minutes left.

I think he actually is a very intelligent person, but at times he is so braindead playing.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Giving Sweden two easy goals when they are 4 goals behind and only minutes left.

I think he actually is a very intelligent person, but at times he is so braindead playing.

Do you think Sweden has any chance against France? Cant see us beat Denmark with all players we are missing.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Do you think Sweden has any chance against France? Cant see us beat Denmark with all players we are missing.

Better chance of beating France then you had winning this game after the first half.

You got to give it to this Swedish team. Been doing better than expected quite a few times now. So of course it isn’t impossible. But I don’t think France will give it away like Norway did. Among the “big” teams Norway is by far the worst team when it comes to folding.

I’ll give it 80/20 France or something.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah sounds about right. But With all players healthy and right roster choices i would say 65-35 to France. We beat them in Egypt. But im just happy to be in seminfinals. Not sure if there will be a bronze game. If there is its probaly Sweden vs Spain. Spain favorites but not as big favorites as France and Denmark are.

But damm all my fellow swedes thinking we are better than we are becuse we have 3 semifinals in 5 years. We had some luck, its a fact. If we look objective Sweden is not top 15 in the handball world.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
With a full team Sweden would have had a better shot. Definitely. The French team is nothing like it used to be. Still good of course, but not unbeatable.

I only watched Spain against Norway in this tournament. Based on that game Spain has no chance against Denmark, but I doubt they are always that poor. A bit like Sweden Spain are tricky. On individual quality the team isn’t what it was, but they are somehow always in the big games to the end.

I typically support Sweden as my no. 2 team, but as a “neutral” I kind of hope for France vs. Denmark in the final. I think that could be a fantastic final with two teams who I’m still waiting for playing at their best. Could happen in a final.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Carlsbrogård and Lagergren is not good enough. And a healthy Claar must play with Gottfridsson. I moaned about Andreas Nilsson earlier but Oscar Bergendahl is a juggernaut. So is Max Darj. So no need for Nilsson. Möller is a youngster with great potential. I would say this would be best possible team Sweden:

RB:
Lukas Sandell, Linus Persson, Jack Thurin

CB:
Jim Gottfridsson, Felix Claar, Jonathan Edvardsson

LB:
Simon Jeppesson, Karl Wallinius, Eric Johansson

Pivot:
Max Darj, Oscar Bergendahl, Felix Möller, Fredrik Pettersson (Fredrik should only be used in defensive situations).

RW;
Nicklas Ekberg, Valter Chrintz

LW:
Hampus Wanne, Lucas Pellas

Goalkeepers:
Andreas Pallicka, Mikael Appelgren, Peter Johannesson

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Carlsbrogård and Lagergren is not good enough. And a healthy Claar must play with Gottfridsson. I moaned about Andreas Nilsson earlier but Oscar Bergendahl is a juggernaut. So is Max Darj. So no need for Nilsson. Möller is a youngster with great potential. I would say this would be best possible team Sweden:

RB:
Lukas Sandell, Linus Persson, Jack Thurin

CB:
Jim Gottfridsson, Felix Claar, Jonathan Edvardsson

LB:
Simon Jeppesson, Karl Wallinius, Eric Johansson

Pivot:
Max Darj, Oscar Bergendahl, Felix Möller, Fredrik Pettersson (Fredrik should only be used in defensive situations).

RW;
Nicklas Ekberg, Valter Chrintz

LW:
Hampus Wanne, Lucas Pellas

Goalkeepers:
Andreas Pallicka, Mikael Appelgren, Peter Johannesson
Snoo is that you?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3