Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Love this pick. Was iffy on Slaf but with both of these picks you can see the org is drafting for high end talent, and I would much rather do that and lose a few of these gambles than draft "safe" nobody big bodies out of US high schools like Timmins used to love.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
He's more offensively oriented but less defense

So nothing like Plekanec?

They're simply taking the BPA on their list. That's the way to do it. They're thinking long-term.

I don't know what they're thinking.

No it didn't factor in. Hughes said it didn't.

Dunno if I believe him. Remember, he is a lawyer.

We certainly can't say this group is afraid.

They just put their balls on the table immediately and said, we can develop anyone.

Like Gorton developed Kakko and Lafreniere?

Was wing really a strong suit for the team? Other than Caufield and Anderson, the rest of the wingers are mediocre, at best.

Well other than Suzuki how are the rest of our Centres?

Slafkovsky, Mesar, Dach and the first pick of the second round. Excellent start to the re-build.

I'll disagree.

Who cares.

Why? He will quickly prove himself to be among our best half dozen wingers.

Well if that isn't damning with faint praise...

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Pronman:
Player comparable: Alexander Barabanov Background: Mesar has played pro hockey in Slovakia the last two seasons. He was a top forward at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in the summer. He made Slovakia’s world junior team in a scoring role and also played well in games for Slovakia’s senior team. Analysis: Mesar’s game is defined by speed and pace. He’s one of the better skaters in this draft, with the ability to burn up the neutral zone to create clean entries with speed. He has good skill and playmaking ability, and shows he can make tough plays with the puck with pace. Mesar lacks size at 5-foot-10 and isn’t an overly physical player. His compete is good enough for me but probably not where you want for an undersized player. I think with his speed, skill and scoring ability he can carve out a career as a top-nine winger though. Thoughts on the pick: Filip Mesar played opposite Slafkovsky’s power play flank on Slovakia’s U18 team. He’s a player who brings a lot of speed and skill to the table and has the potential to score goals and help an NHL power play down the line.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Welcome to Mtl, Mesar!

Is he (kind of?) a Slovakian version of Nazar? (both are ultra-skilled center/wingers...5 ' 10 1/2...may get to 5'11 or 6'0).

Kulich was my pick (imo) at 26th (I really thought Kulich would go top 20), but what do I know?!

Let's hope for the best for Filip Mesar.
(according to a Hockey News' report...one scout said "major wow/stud factor when you see him in practice...in a game though he's still inconsistent"...is the small summary in a nutshell of the scout's report).

Let's hope Mesar is the real deal.

For the 33rd pick,,,,I'm hoping for one of Hutson or Chesley or Firkus.
(maybe our Habs can swing a deal and get two or three of 'em?! lol).

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I would have picked Lambert but this kid seems pretty damn talented from what I have seen. A damn missile. Plus he has splayed with Slaf. That's a good pick, I feel.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
Welcome to Mtl, Mesar!

Is he (kind of?) a Slovakian version of Nazar? (both are ultra-skilled center/wingers...5 ' 10 1/2...may get to 5'11 or 6'0).

Kulich was my pick (imo) at 26th (I really thought Kulich would go top 20), but what do I know?!

Let's hope for the best for Filip Mesar.
(according to a Hockey News' report...one scout said "major wow/stud factor when you see him in practice...in a game though he's still inconsistent"...is the small summary in a nutshell of the scout's report).

Let's hope Mesar is the real deal.

For the 33rd pick,,,,I'm hoping for one of Hutson or Chesley or Firkus.
(maybe our Habs can swing a deal and get two or three of 'em?! lol).
Don’t know anything about Mesar except what I read here but reading “wow factor” “inconsistent” “not big” can dazzle some games completely disappear other games and “can” lay center while being an actual wing is giving me Drouin vibes. Maybe we’d be lucky to get another Drouin late in the 1st? Anyway, if he was close to the BPA with the upside of giving Slaf a countryman on the team, it’s defensible.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
We need a 1C and we draft a lanky winger with brutal Liga stats as the #1 overall! Woooooooo

I know ... I wanted Wright or Nemec or Jiricek.

That being said on the topic of Mesar for me he is the definition of high risk high reward. He may never play in the NHL or he can be a true play driver if he manages to be more consistent.

Reactions: EddyK

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Recommend watching this for a good overview on the kid. He had Mesar rated higher than Nemec when he recorded this.

1657271352270.png

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
a little bit expensive for a 3rd liner maybe?🤷‍♂️

Meh 1-2M too much. But that's beside the point, Mesar being drafted means nothing about Anderson until we know that Mesar is much netter and needs to get paid.

Which is atthe bery least 3 years in the future. Most realistically more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad