Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Building, Trade Rumors & Free Agents

What direction would you like to see the Bruins go?

• Convince Bergeron and Krejci to come back and go for it one more time.

Votes: 46 24.1%
  • Continue trying to be competitive, but bring in some new faces (Miller/Kadri/Strome/Trocheck/etc)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Combination of A and signing some diamonds in the rough. (D.Strome/Turcotte/Kakko

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Mini Rebuild: lose this year, sell our UFA's, draft high, spend big in 2023 and try to get back in.

Votes: 46 24.1%
  • Short Rebuild: Sell anyone over 30, build around McAvoy, Pasta and Swayman.

Votes: 55 28.8%
  • TNT: Blow it up. Sell anyone over 25, including Pasta and Lindholm. Draft a new core.

Votes: 13 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I have really been coming around to Frank Vatrano. It would make sense to move JD for center help and replace him with Vatrano at a lesser cost. I think he would come around a 3x3 deal. We know what he is but replaces that exact skill set that Debrusk has with good speed and a killer shot. He also has found a lot more bite to his game. I think he could be the third wheel to Marchand and Bergeron like he was on the Rangers with Kreider and Zib. He scored at a near 30 goal pace with them and I mean who else can beat Vasilevskiy clean from the top of the circle...

Again, not saying he is a top 6 player by any means. You would hope Lysell will replace him within a year or two but if you could package Debrusk for that missing top six center, it makes a lot of sense.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
It’s funny everyone talks about how Coyle failed at second line Center and Haula stepped up during the regular season.

However Coyle was playing with (Hall and Smith) while Haula was with (Hall and Pasta). I don’t think Coyle was ever given a chance with Hall and Pasta. That’s the line I wanted to see back when Hall was a UFA two years ago.

Meanwhile Coyle and Haula had the same 44 Points with Coyle playing with far worst linemates. I’m not saying Coyle is the answer, we would be better off with an upgrade at 2C and Coyle at 3C. But a worst case scenario I wouldn’t mind seeing that line finally given a chance and having the big Puck possession Player Coyle opening up space for the two skilled wings. I bet he would put 60+ pts playing a full season with them.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think that’s the idea for sure. I really never get the heat the Ullmark signing gets. $6M for a goalie tandem, and Ullmark did pretty well. Wish he didn’t get the nod in the first two games against Carolina, but that’s an easy contract to move next summer
Ullmark deserved to get the game 1 start . Overall he was the better goalie in the regular season. Obviously it didn’t go the way we would have liked but there’s no reason Bruins can’t have a 50-50 split for the upcoming regular season and hopefully Swayman is the better goalie and he’s ready to go game 1 .

Reactions: Alicat

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Was it money used wisely though ?

He had nearly 20 million of cap space. I don't know but I think he should of been able to come away with a bit more with all that dough he handed out. Perhaps a true top 6 forward or a legit top 4 defenseman. It necessarily didn't have to be through FA but unfortunately that, and the deadline is all Sweeney seems to have in has repertoire.

He had players like Studnicka, Steen, Seny, Lauka, Blidh, Hughes and Froden who were licking their chops at a chance to make the team, but once Sweeney signed Haula, Nosek and Foligno, they didn't stand a chance. Add to that Ullmark 5 plus mil. I don't know but a Halak or another season vet to play with Swayman might of been wiser but time will tell on that one. I like Ullmark but I don't think he's a number one and that's a whole lot of money for a back up.
You mean spending $14 of their $20m in cap space on a bunch of bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing D wasn’t a good idea? Lmao

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
1. Let's hope Debrusk rescinds his trade request now that Butch is gone. He's 25, cost controlled winger who I think with the right line mates will once again put up 25-30 goals, maybe even eclipse that.
2. I would see what it'd cost to dump Foligno back to the Blue Jackets for what should be his final year in the league.
4. Gryz should be moved. We need some toughness and size on the left side.
3. Nosek and Reilly should be moveable contracts where we don't have to pay to get rid of them. Get back a few draft picks for 2023.

Oct Lineup before signings:
Debrusk-Bergy-Smith
Hall-XXXX-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Haula
XXXXX-Studnicka-Steen

Lindholm-Zboril
XXXX-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton

Swayman
Ullmark

1. Sign Zadorov to play with Carlo. Maybe Zadorov's nastiness will rub off on Carlo
2. Could Malkin be swayed to come here and play with Hall and Pasta? Reports are he's willing to take a pay cut and he's played his last games in Pitts. Cap is tight but with Foligno, Nosek, Reilly, and Gryz out........plus Wagner down to Providence that gives you about 16 million to get Malkin, Bergy, Zadorov, Studnicka, 4th line LW. Its tight for sure but with some performance laden contracts, we may be able to work it!

When healthy:
Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Hall-Malkin-Pasta
Haula-Coyle-Smith
Frederic-Studnicka-Steen
Tough guy

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Forbort- Zboril
Clifton

Reactions: NDiesel

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
1. Let's hope Debrusk rescinds his trade request now that Butch is gone. He's 25, cost controlled winger who I think with the right line mates will once again put up 25-30 goals, maybe even eclipse that.
2. I would see what it'd cost to dump Foligno back to the Blue Jackets for what should be his final year in the league.
4. Gryz should be moved. We need some toughness and size on the left side.
3. Nosek and Reilly should be moveable contracts where we don't have to pay to get rid of them. Get back a few draft picks for 2023.

Oct Lineup before signings:
Debrusk-Bergy-Smith
Hall-XXXX-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Haula
XXXXX-Studnicka-Steen

Lindholm-Zboril
XXXX-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton

Swayman
Ullmark

1. Sign Zadorov to play with Carlo. Maybe Zadorov's nastiness will rub off on Carlo
2. Could Malkin be swayed to come here and play with Hall and Pasta? Reports are he's willing to take a pay cut and he's played his last games in Pitts. Cap is tight but with Foligno, Nosek, Reilly, and Gryz out........plus Wagner down to Providence that gives you about 16 million to get Malkin, Bergy, Zadorov, Studnicka, 4th line LW. Its tight for sure but with some performance laden contracts, we may be able to work it!

When healthy:
Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Hall-Malkin-Pasta
Haula-Coyle-Smith
Frederic-Studnicka-Steen
Tough guy

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Forbort- Zboril
Clifton
Carlo is what he is, not sure one can teach nasty, you either have it or not. Malkin, for as amazing of a player as he is, injury prone

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I have really been coming around to Frank Vatrano. It would make sense to move JD for center help and replace him with Vatrano at a lesser cost. I think he would come around a 3x3 deal. We know what he is but replaces that exact skill set that Debrusk has with good speed and a killer shot. He also has found a lot more bite to his game. I think he could be the third wheel to Marchand and Bergeron like he was on the Rangers with Kreider and Zib. He scored at a near 30 goal pace with them and I mean who else can beat Vasilevskiy clean from the top of the circle...

Again, not saying he is a top 6 player by any means. You would hope Lysell will replace him within a year or two but if you could package Debrusk for that missing top six center, it makes a lot of sense.
I had the same thought recently.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Ullmark deserved to get the game 1 start . Overall he was the better goalie in the regular season. Obviously it didn’t go the way we would have liked but there’s no reason Bruins can’t have a 50-50 split for the upcoming regular season and hopefully Swayman is the better goalie and he’s ready to go game 1 .
That is exactly what the Bruins plan has been all along. They will split the games 50/50 and the team will ride the hot hand when needed.

The days of relying on just 1 goalie in this league especially in the regular season are long gone.

There is nothing wrong with having a 1A/1B tandem.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’d say the Reilly contract was bad. More so on optics than anything else. The team knew they needed a #1 LHD and went out and signed two 3rd pairing LHD to 3 year deals. Really made no sense. Then 6 months later they traded for Lindholm. So now Mike Reilly is basically a $3m healthy scratch, battling zboril and clifton for playing time next year if deals aren’t made.

But ya besides that haula was good value, Ullmark, forbort and nosek decent value. Only ones that were bad were Reilly and foligno and Reilly’s really was only bad because it didn’t make sense more than anything.

I think it made sense only because he and Carlo KILLED it since Reilly was acquired. And then completely lost all of that magic this season. I think they thought they had found their next Seidenberg/Boychuk. A younger vet who in Boston playing with the right folks was going to thrive and become a LEGIT top 4 D out of no where. And it just disappeared for some reason.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That is exactly what the Bruins plan has been all along. They will split the games 50/50 and the team will ride the hot hand when needed.

The days of relying on just 1 goalie in this league especially in the regular season are long gone.

I'm happy with this split goalie approach. It helps keeps each goalie fresh, when one gets hot your ride him until the other guy gets hot. If neither guy is hot then you just swap every other game until someone gets hot. We saw a multiple occasions last year where Ullmark & Swayman flip flopped on who was getting more starts. I have to think it helps push each goalie as well knowing that all it takes is the other guy to get hot and suddenly they're seeing less starts.

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I'm not disagreeing that there is anything wrong with having a 1A/1B. But this is not the dominant thought amongst teams in the league. 50% of teams had starters who played 65-75% of their games. The teams who did not all had one thing in common, a serious question mark as to who the starter should be for a myriad of reasons.

I agree that splitting the games keeps goalies fresh. But there are plenty of goalies who require volume to keep themselves locked in as well.

Seeing what happened with Hart in Philly is a cautionary tale for the rest of the league and the reason I was OK with Ullmark being here in year one and two of Swayman taking the reigns. Year 3 and 4 at 5m with a NMC is where I take issue.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I don't want to move Pasta at all, need to keep the 40+ goal scorer. I would hate to move Swayman, but wonder if a deal of Swayman + Debrusk + Carlo to NJ for the #2OA + Blackwood + Graves would work? We could then sign Manson to replace Carlo, maybe even Nichushkin as well?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
please continue here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad