Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Building, Trade Rumors & Free Agents

What direction would you like to see the Bruins go?

• Convince Bergeron and Krejci to come back and go for it one more time.

Votes: 46 24.1%
  • Continue trying to be competitive, but bring in some new faces (Miller/Kadri/Strome/Trocheck/etc)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Combination of A and signing some diamonds in the rough. (D.Strome/Turcotte/Kakko

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Mini Rebuild: lose this year, sell our UFA's, draft high, spend big in 2023 and try to get back in.

Votes: 46 24.1%
  • Short Rebuild: Sell anyone over 30, build around McAvoy, Pasta and Swayman.

Votes: 55 28.8%
  • TNT: Blow it up. Sell anyone over 25, including Pasta and Lindholm. Draft a new core.

Votes: 13 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I hate Sweeney, but I’d probably agree with that.

Edit: Reilly sucks. That was a bad contract.

I'd agree Foligno is the only bad contract but I would say money has been wasted on redundancies on this team. That's what makes this year so difficult. Not Foligno's contract but the fact that you have 3m spent on a 7th defensemen after just dumping Moore's contract. You have 5.25m spent on a number 3 center who is under 50% in the faceoff dot, struggles moving up the lineup, and goes through epic hot/cold patches. Idealy this is the guy that should have replaced Krejci but we found our square peg couldn't squeeze through that round hole. If Swayman progresses this year, then you have 5m invested in a backup goalie with a NMC. I'm aware the two split duties this year and Ullmark play improved to the point that their stats were pretty similar. That said, Swayman should be expected to improve, and if he does, then a 5m backup seems like a waste to me.

The Bruins have a lot of decent pieces. A lot of them just don't fit in to this current puzzle. I think they need to shuffle the deck and rethink how this roster is built. That may be more of a question for next year though as this year is pretty locked in with no wiggle room.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why are all our players bad?

The Bruins put up 107 points and were the best defensive team in the league withOUT Lindholm. IMO, the only bad contract signed last year was Foligno.
I’d say the Reilly contract was bad. More so on optics than anything else. The team knew they needed a #1 LHD and went out and signed two 3rd pairing LHD to 3 year deals. Really made no sense. Then 6 months later they traded for Lindholm. So now Mike Reilly is basically a $3m healthy scratch, battling zboril and clifton for playing time next year if deals aren’t made.

But ya besides that haula was good value, Ullmark, forbort and nosek decent value. Only ones that were bad were Reilly and foligno and Reilly’s really was only bad because it didn’t make sense more than anything.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I'd agree Foligno is the only bad contract but I would say money has been wasted on redundancies on this team. That's what makes this year so difficult. Not Foligno's contract but the fact that you have 3m spent on a 7th defensemen after just dumping Moore's contract. You have 5.25m spent on a number 3 center who is under 50% in the faceoff dot, struggles moving up the lineup, and goes through epic hot/cold patches. Idealy this is the guy that should have replaced Krejci but we found our square peg couldn't squeeze through that round hole. If Swayman progresses this year, then you have 5m invested in a backup goalie with a NMC. I'm aware the two split duties this year and Ullmark play improved to the point that their stats were pretty similar. That said, Swayman should be expected to improve, and if he does, then a 5m backup seems like a waste to me.

The Bruins have a lot of decent pieces. A lot of them just don't fit in to this current puzzle. I think they need to shuffle the deck and rethink how this roster is built. That may be more of a question for next year though as this year is pretty locked in with no wiggle room.
I like this post a lot. You touch on some good points.

It’s maybe a little nuanced, but isn’t it fair to criticize Sweeney for thinking he had the left side solved with guys like Forbort, Reilly and Gryz? Or, did he know he didn’t have it solved, plan to have to pay dearly to solve jt at the deadline, and STILL sign both of those guys? Why not work in a kid? Why not pick up a cheaper option on a shorter deal?

The resource management feels like it’s done by folks who have no business judging NHL talent. Where is this GM without the sustained excellence of Bergeron and Marchand?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Opportunistic? Is there another Sweeney I don't know about? Is Bob running the Lightning or something?

Honestly, my comment has nothing to do with Sweeney and everything to do with the oversimplification and arrogance of the implication that an FO could sign a bunch of at all equivalent players to fill in temporarily for injured stars and then simply “trade them away” as the stars return.

It’s just one of those moments in life where I’m shocked at the fallacies a person can somehow come to believe. I totally understand someone not wanting to bother with looking at the details. But to take on a mindset of everything just being oh so basic is silly

Reactions: 37Bergenov14

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Honestly, my comment has nothing to do with Sweeney and everything to do with the oversimplification and arrogance of the implication that an FO could sign a bunch of at all equivalent players to fill in temporarily for injured stars and then simply “trade them away” as the stars return.

It’s just another one of those moments in life where I’m shocked at the fallacies people somehow come to believe.

No, that's easy. You convince great players to do you a solid before trading them away a few months later.

What could be more opportunistic?

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
I hate the idea of moving Pasta. IMO you trade anyone but Charlie, Swayman or Pasta.

The biggest thing that has to be done this off season is to figure out what Pastrnaks intentions are.

If he's not committed to an extention you 100% have to trade him. No ifs,ands or buts about it. It's one thing to hold onto a Loui Eriksson and let him walk for nothing, but where this team is at you can't let a player of Pastrnaks caliber just leave.

I'd much rather see him locked up with a new contract but would absolutely support a trade if he's not on board.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
No, that's easy. You convince great players to do you a solid before trading them away a few months later.

What could be more opportunistic?

Evander Kane had a great playoff run.

I think he’s earned the opportunity to sign a 3 month, 1 million dollar contract with the Bruins through January. He could really go places once he proves himself in game #17 of the regular season.

Reactions: EverettMike

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like this post a lot. You touch on some good points.

It’s maybe a little nuanced, but isn’t it fair to criticize Sweeney for thinking he had the left side solved with guys like Forbort, Reilly and Gryz? Or, did he know he didn’t have it solved, plan to have to pay dearly to solve jt at the deadline, and STILL sign both of those guys? Why not work in a kid? Why not pick up a cheaper option on a shorter deal?

The resource management feels like it’s done by folks who have no business judging NHL talent. Where is this GM without the sustained excellence of Bergeron and Marchand?
I wasn’t a fan of the Reilly signing, but they were working Zboril in. What other kid was there to work in? Ahcan, with Grizz in the lineup? $3M is very reasonable for a defenseman who can play second pair - issue was the term. There really aren’t good options for cheaper shorter deals. But I think it’s a very tradeable contract.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I hate Sweeney, but I’d probably agree with that.

Edit: Reilly sucks. That was a bad contract.
Reilly was coming off of a season where he was playing at a 40 point pace. $3 million a year is more than reasonable for someone producing at that level.

He just never seemed to find his footing with this group in his second season. I also don’t think he was utilized very well either. He’s not an immovable piece, they can and absolutely will find a suitor who could use his skill set.

Then again, with the injuries they currently have, I’m not sure you see him shipped off during this off-season, but who knows?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Because not all teams need $3m defenders who spent the last two months of the season alternating healthy scratches with Connor Clifton. That of course at least until Lindholm got injured and both played.
I hear you on Reilly
Aside from making $3M to sit, he also makes coward passes into the feet of teammates so he can bail himself out of an oncoming forecheck.
Cliffy has an annual cap hit of only $1M and he goes out of his way to find people to hit.
If I'm Sweeney I look at Clifton as a keeper. He shows toughness and enthusiasm that can't be taught.
I thought he was solid late in the season and against Carolina.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The thing is with Bergeron back i dont think Studnicka or Frederic in over Nosek is going to prevent them from making a run, they already have a vet in Foligno to play LW or RW, unless you believe they buy him out. Sweeney said they need to mix in some youth and I think Frederic, Stud and Steen will be three of the younger guys to start the year.

Is there really much difference between

Haula-Coyle-Smith
Combination of Frederic/Foligno/Stud/Steen

Vs.

Haula-Coyle-Smith
Frederic-Nosek-Foligno

Foligno could be waived like Wagner honestly.

Frederic - Nosek - Studnicka/Steen

Of course here we're assuming that Sweeney bring in another center. If he didn't then

Frederic - Coyle - Smith
Foligno/Nosek - Nosek/Studnicka - Studnicka/Steen

Reactions: NDiesel

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Was it money used wisely though ?

He had nearly 20 million of cap space. I don't know but I think he should of been able to come away with a bit more with all that dough he handed out. Perhaps a true top 6 forward or a legit top 4 defenseman. It necessarily didn't have to be through FA but unfortunately that, and the deadline is all Sweeney seems to have in has repertoire.

He had players like Studnicka, Steen, Seny, Lauka, Blidh, Hughes and Froden who were licking their chops at a chance to make the team, but once Sweeney signed Haula, Nosek and Foligno, they didn't stand a chance. Add to that Ullmark 5 plus mil. I don't know but a Halak or another season vet to play with Swayman might of been wiser but time will tell on that one. I like Ullmark but I don't think he's a number one and that's a whole lot of money for a back up.
No, definitely not money used wisely. Not when he knew Krejci was leaving.

But that's a different argument than all our players suck and we have to pay to get rid of them.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
You should be able to develop bottom of the roster players without having to use up cap space that could be better served on better players..

I agree with that to a degree. It's great in theory, to ice a bottom6 of young home grown guys on cheap deals, but in reality nobody's bottom6 is all home grown talent.

Look at Tampa; Hagel, Coleman, Goodrow, Paul, Perry, Maroon, Bellmarre, Nash... They spent their money more wisely, but they also paid a premium in trade capital for some of those guys. Colorado brought in Sturm, Kubel, Cogliano, Helm... so not really homegrown either.

That said, hopefully next season we'll have a bottom6 with 5 home grown players...

DeBrusk - Coyle - McLaughlin
Frederic - Beecher - Steen

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Why are all our players bad?

The Bruins put up 107 points and were the best defensive team in the league withOUT Lindholm. IMO, the only bad contract signed last year was Foligno.
I wouldn't say they were bad, just misplaced money.

Why did we spend 6M on free agency LD when we had a hole that was filled at deadline with another defenseman?

Ullmark isn't a bad addition and him and Swayman have a great bromance, but cap strapped team, every penny counts.

Foligno was a questionable signing. And a negative value by the end of it.

Everyone says it's easy to move guys out, but Sweeney hasn't seemed to move many contracts out without paying someone to do so.

Sweeney was re-upped, and I think some solid changes are needed if we actually want to be BETTER than last 2 years. He's gonna have to be creative.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
No, definitely not money used wisely. Not when he knew Krejci was leaving.

But that's a different argument than all our players suck and we have to pay to get rid of them.
I think we have two #1 goalies right now. It will work fine until the end of this season when Swayman comes off his entry-level deal.
After this season, Linus's contract goes from NMC to M-NMC. Maybe he gets moved to free up cap space and make room for the next man up in Providence (Keyser, Grosenick, Booth?).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think we have two #1 goalies right now. It will work fine until the end of this season when Swayman comes off his entry-level deal.
After this season, Linus's contract goes from NMC to M-NMC. Maybe he gets moved to free up cap space and make room for the next man up in Providence (Keyser, Grosenick, Booth?).
I think that’s the idea for sure. I really never get the heat the Ullmark signing gets. $6M for a goalie tandem, and Ullmark did pretty well. Wish he didn’t get the nod in the first two games against Carolina, but that’s an easy contract to move next summer

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I think that’s the idea for sure. I really never get the heat the Ullmark signing gets. $6M for a goalie tandem, and Ullmark did pretty well. Wish he didn’t get the nod in the first two games against Carolina, but that’s an easy contract to move next summer
I also think he could get you a first from a team really in need of goaltending. He is a really underrated asset for them going into next offseason.

Reactions: Forester65

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Foligno could be waived like Wagner honestly.

Frederic - Nosek - Studnicka/Steen

Of course here we're assuming that Sweeney bring in another center. If he didn't then

Frederic - Coyle - Smith
Foligno/Nosek - Nosek/Studnicka - Studnicka/Steen
Freddy was good at center on the fourth line last year. He looked most confident at center and seemed to play without overthinking.
When he was on the wing he took stupid penalties and seemed to have more trouble anticipating the play and being in position when he was away from the puck.
It will be very interesting to see if any of the younger players develop quickly without Cassidy behind the bench.
I have heard that he a "veteran's coach" and that he didn't treat the younger players with enough respect.
Having a less partial coach could inspire some confidence in young players and get better results.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad