Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Building, Trade Rumors & Free Agents II

How do Bruins clear cap for Bergeron, Krejci and Zacha?

• Pay to unload Foligno

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Trade Reilly

Votes: 31 18.9%
  • Trade Forbort

Votes: 36 22.0%
  • Trade Nosek

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Trade DeBrusk

Votes: 19 11.6%
  • Trade Coyle

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I might be wrong and maybe being a little harsh , but I do not believe any of those three names you mentioned can fill Smiths spot.
What you mean his ZERO pts and minus 5 in the playoffs as a 3rd liner with $3,100,000 against the cap. He was no better than Lazar, maybe worse as Lazar played on the PK. He will be 33 at the start of the year, time to cut the dead weight and open up cap.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
DS needs to go trade crazy at forward…and even Reilly as well on D.

Forbort is a keep.

You can piece the forwards together as the year goes on…but obviously, PB and DK need to get done and settled.

Nosek, Smith, Foligno (by some miracle), move them all. Yes, the kids can slot in to start out the year while DS continues to work the roster/cap.

There’s no solution that is going to be comfortable.

Linus is a commodity…you probably will end up having to look there as well….maybe that’s an avenue DS can throw a bad contract out with? Who knows. But it’s all gotta be explored and a lot of it moved on.

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
Hi fellow Bruins fans, long time, no chat.

I'm not saying they could pull them off but I would love to see the following moves by SWEENEY and crew:

GRZELCYK, FREDERIC and KEYSER to Nashville for Jeremy LAUZON and Cody GLASS. Opens up almost 2 million in cap space and provides two elements we need, a tough, sandpaper, stay at home D-man (whom we already know) and a young, big centre with upside.

Then, ship Mike REILLY to anyone for a third or even a fourth, add STEEN to the mix if you have to but if you do, push for a third, instantly creates at least 3 million in space.

Deal Nick FOLIGNO and Jack STUDNICKA to Calgary for Milan LUCIC (1.5 retained) and Adam RUZICKA. Even money exchanged as I'm confident STUDNICKA and RUZICKA cancel each other out once signed. Unlike FOLIGNO, LUCIC still makes d-man fumble with the puck and keeps the Brendan LEMIEUX's of the league honest. If we have a choice, I'd rather have LUCIC making too much against the cap for one more season then the shell that was once Nick FOLIGNO, don't tell the Calgary brass I said that tough lol.

At the end of the day we create over almost 5 million in space while also addressing needs now and in the future. Regarding future, GLASS replaces what we hope for in STUDNICKA and I think he's more suited to Bruins hockey and LAUZON, although a known commodity, is still young. GLASS and ZACHA provide insurance at centre now if neither or only one of BERGERON and KREJCI sign this year and beyond this season as well.

With the resultant cap space it means SWEENEY can offer BERGERON 5 per on a one year deal, KREJCI 4 per and sign ZACHA to a two year 3 per prove ir deal, 12 million in total. Hopefully that will mitigate bonus penalties next season.

We'll be roughly 1.15 over the cap with a 22 man roster and plenty of room to make that up while MARCHAND and McAVOY are on LTIR, coupled with RUZICKA or GREER and probably CLIFTON going to Providence when MARCHAND and McAVOY are ready to go, we'll be cal compliant. This is a formidable lineup when healthy in my opinion.

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 2.56.49 PM.png

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Still wouldn't mind adding someone like Puljujarvi if we can make the cap work. He's got a $1.4 million QO and wants out of Edmonton. I really thought he would have been dealt around the draft, but he wasn't. When healthy, a 3rd line of Zacha-Coyle-Puljujarvi could be interesting. Talk about a line with and size...

Zacha - 6'3 / 210lb
Coyle - 6'3 / 220lb
Puljujarvi - 6'4 / 200lb

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I'm not saying they could pull them off but I would love to see the following moves by SWEENEY and crew:

GRZELCYK, FREDERIC and KEYSER to Nashville for Jeremy LAUZON and Cody GLASS. Opens up almost 2 million in cap space and provides two elements we need, a tough, sandpaper, stay at home D-man (whom we already know) and a young, big centre with upside.

Then, ship Mike REILLY to anyone for a third or even a fourth, add STEEN to the mix if you have to but if you do, push for a third, instantly creates at least 3 million in space.

Deal Nick FOLIGNO and Jack STUDNICKA to Calgary for Milan LUCIC (1.5 retained) and Adam RUZICKA. Even money exchanged as I'm confident STUDNICKA and RUZICKA cancel each other out once signed. Unlike FOLIGNO, LUCIC still makes d-man fumble with the puck and keeps the Brendan LEMIEUX's of the league honest. If we have a choice, I'd rather have LUCIC making too much against the cap for one more season then the shell that was once Nick FOLIGNO, don't tell the Calgary brass I said that tough lol.

At the end of the day we create over almost 5 million in space while also addressing needs now and in the future. Regarding future, GLASS replaces what we hope for in STUDNICKA and I think he's more suited to Bruins hockey and LAUZON, although a known commodity, is still young. GLASS and ZACHA provide insurance at centre now if neither or only one of BERGERON and KREJCI sign this year and beyond this season as well.

With the resultant cap space it means SWEENEY can offer BERGERON 5 per on a one year deal, KREJCI 4 per and sign ZACHA to a two year 3 per prove ir deal, 12 million in total. Hopefully that will mitigate bonus penalties next season.

We'll be roughly 1.15 over the cap with a 22 man roster and plenty of room to make that up while MARCHAND and McAVOY are on LTIR, coupled with RUZICKA or GREER and probably CLIFTON going to Providence when MARCHAND and McAVOY are ready to go, we'll be cal compliant. This is a formidable lineup when healthy in my opinion.

View attachment 569929

Welcome back Taz!

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Like Haula
I think the Haula deal was good. Rumors were devils weren't planning on qualifying Zacha and did this as a favor to the Bruins. It's a move that has potential attached to it, which I like.

I'm just saying he's trying to trade some other players for cap room and until it happens I'm skeptical.

I agree, it's good that he waits for the right moves, but it can also be true that he values his players more than other teams do. Both things can be true.

Reactions: Gordoff

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
There’s no reason to trade Forbort and Reilly. I don’t even get why anyone would suggest that (obviously cap space I know). Plus I think it’s clear you’d keep Forbot out of the two. I don’t really know why people want him gone
I agree 100% re Forbort.
I COULD see trading Reilly if the return was right, but having depth is good.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Montgomery likes physical players, Greer is very physical and has some skill as shown by his AHL point totals. I would not be surprised at all, especially with his under 800k contract, that he is the 13th forward.

He seems pretty pumped to be a Bruins as well. On his Instagram, he called signing with Boston a dream come true, as he went to school in the area. Decent fighter, tough kid.

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Still wouldn't mind adding someone like Puljujarvi if we can make the cap work. He's got a $1.4 million QO and wants out of Edmonton. I really thought he would have been dealt around the draft, but he wasn't. When healthy, a 3rd line of Zacha-Coyle-Puljujarvi could be interesting. Talk about a line with and size...

Zacha - 6'3 / 210lb
Coyle - 6'3 / 220lb
Puljujarvi - 6'4 / 200lb
Big and extra soft, just like my favorite toilet paper rolls

Reactions: TCB and Fenian24

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Mostly because he can't pass or skate or really do anything other than throw the puck off the glass and out. He's not even a very good penalty killer: Reilly had almost identical PK results to him in terms of goals against per ice time.

You could put Carrick in his spot and no one would notice the difference.
Harsh but pretty accurate assessment. I'd also add that Lindholm makes Forbort's PK time less needed.

Meanwhile Reilly's game I think fits the new coach more... I'd like to see him given another chance.

Reactions: wintersej

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
He may have many irons in many fires but will anything ever materialize. He has 4.8 mil of cap space with Zacha probably wanting 3 mil, not much left for Krejci or Bergeron's basic signing even before the bonuses..

He is probably trying to complete many trades but if no teams bite, then what? You cannot provide incentives such as draft picks or pay part of the departing players cap hits. DS has the team backed into a corner and it not going to be an easy rectification.
Problem is that Donnie is IN the fire with the irons. Nobody is going to do the Bruins any favors and make it easy for them to sign DK & PB. It is NO secret to any other GM that Sweeney has painted himself into this corner and is sweating it, waiting for someone to want a couple of his brilliant signings of 2021.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

View attachment 569929
Hey Tazz, long time no see. Hibernating?

Reactions: bbfan419

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I agree 100% re Forbort.
I COULD see trading Reilly if the return was right, but having depth is good.
Depth is nothing when you hold depth positions in more importance than making space for important roles.

2 Top 6 centers aren't signed. Two of Bergeron, Krejci, Zacha, other UFA, or trade. We have less space than we are paying Nick Foligno to fill BOTH of those positions.

We have at least 7 million dollars invested in bottom pair LD. And then another 3.8 in 4th liner Nick Foligno.

Depth is great. But not at the expense of building the rest of the roster.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Depth is nothing when you hold depth positions in more importance than making space for important roles.

2 Top 6 centers aren't signed. Two of Bergeron, Krejci, Zacha, other UFA, or trade. We have less space than we are paying Nick Foligno to fill BOTH of those positions.

We have at least 7 million dollars invested in bottom pair LD. And then another 3.8 in 4th liner Nick Foligno.

Depth is great. But not at the expense of building the rest of the roster.
That's what ELC are meant to be used for. Sweeney had a chance to go this route last year, but decided to throw his cap space away on 4th liners and 5/6 defenseman.

Now he's put himself in a position where his one and two centers are going to sign, what one year deals and then eventually take a hit on next years cap, putting the Bruins in the same position a year from now. Incompetence at its finest.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There’s no reason to trade Forbort and Reilly. I don’t even get why anyone would suggest that (obviously cap space I know). Plus I think it’s clear you’d keep Forbot out of the two. I don’t really know why people want him gone
Forbort contributes. Reilly adds nothing. Trade him for anything for the cap space.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
On another note, IF Krejci doesn’t sign but Bergeron does, I’d look to Statsny on a 1 year deal. He’s capable of 50 points and solid 2 way play between Hall & Pastrnak.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I really don’t understand the infatuation with puljujarvi. I swear people just look up that he had 15 goals last year and people think oh the bruins could use him on the 3rd line while completely ignoring he’s spent the last two years next to mcdavid. Setting up for such a let down with him playing next to Coyle.

He’s pretty much one of the guys I hope they stay as far away from as possible. I’m pretty sure if Trent Frederic was on mcdavids wing he would put up very similar numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad