Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Building, Trade Rumors & Free Agents II

How do Bruins clear cap for Bergeron, Krejci and Zacha?

• Pay to unload Foligno

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Trade Reilly

Votes: 31 18.9%
  • Trade Forbort

Votes: 36 22.0%
  • Trade Nosek

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Trade DeBrusk

Votes: 19 11.6%
  • Trade Coyle

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Sweeney said Zacha plays all three positions. I wonder if he is any decent at RW. I would love to attach Zacha to Bergy and see if he can help take his game to the next level.

An oilers fan proposed Gryz + Smith for pool party on the main board. I would do that. Ditch Reilly too

Something like this could be solid.

Marchand-Bergeron-Zacha
Hall-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle-Puljujarvi
Foligno-Frederic-Steen
Greer/ Studnicka

Lindholm-Carlo
Zboril-McAvoy
Forbort-Clifton
Achan

This is a little intriguing. I'm not sure Puljujarvi's skill set would work well with Debrusk and Coyle. He's an excellent forechecker/possession player with inconsistent finishing. That said, I think he'd be great with Bergeron and Marchand.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Yah it’s like don’t announce Bergeron and Krejci and go over Cap and lose leverage

Bergeron activg like he signed and Merloni acting like Krejci signed (their wives are apparently tight?)

I know in a world with women I’m the last to know
Lose leverage... that's a good one Dan. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
This waiting for cap space is the reason is wrong. There is no GM in the NHL that doesn’t already know the situation. Donnie isn’t hoodwinking anyone. No one in the East is going to help this team out as they all want to get into the playoffs. It gives them better odds. There are teams in the west that need to get to floor but they still want assets for taking on bad contracts.

Donnie is just waiting on the inevitable of giving up picks for contract dumps.
Yep.

Anything to justify the ineptitude. Sweeney can't make moves because he backed himself into a corner.
All those bad moves are catching up to him. He's running out of picks to fix his mistakes.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
This waiting for cap space is the reason is wrong. There is no GM in the NHL that doesn’t already know the situation. Donnie isn’t hoodwinking anyone. No one in the East is going to help this team out as they all want to get into the playoffs. It gives them better odds. There are teams in the west that need to get to floor but they still want assets for taking on bad contracts.

I mean we are all ignoring the fact that Klingberg also hasn’t signed and there are teams that are likely waiting on that as well.

Donny isn’t the only GM in the league that maintains many irons in many fires even if everyone wants to assume he’s busy picking his nose.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I mean we are all ignoring the fact that Klingberg also hasn’t signed and there are teams that are likely waiting on that as well.

Donny isn’t the only GM in the league that maintains many irons in many fires even if everyone wants to assume he’s busy picking his nose.
He may have many irons in many fires but will anything ever materialize. He has 4.8 mil of cap space with Zacha probably wanting 3 mil, not much left for Krejci or Bergeron's basic signing even before the bonuses..

He is probably trying to complete many trades but if no teams bite, then what? You cannot provide incentives such as draft picks or pay part of the departing players cap hits. DS has the team backed into a corner and it not going to be an easy rectification.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The more cap they can clear the less they put into bonuses and the more money that Bergeron and Krejci get to take home now.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

It seems to me he just won't trade any guys with an value. He's likely hesitant to deal Gryz, Smith or Forbort since they fill a role in the lineup, but I think he just needs to suck it up and get an asset for one or two of those three players and fill their spots internally or with a 1 year deal in FA. At this point it seems Reilly has no value or else I'm sure he'd be gone by now.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It seems to me he just won't trade any guys with an value. He's likely hesitant to deal Gryz, Smith or Forbort since they fill a role in the lineup, but I think he just needs to suck it up and get an asset for one or two of those three players and fill their spots internally or with a 1 year deal in FA. At this point it seems Reilly has no value or else I'm sure he'd be gone by now.
He didn’t mind trading haula

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
He didn’t mind trading haula
But for Haula he got something of value in return. He is going to have to lower his expectations and maybe have to accept lower draft picks in any deals. He needs the cap space and all GMs know this. He cannot take on any additional players in return as all obtainable cap space will be spoken for.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don’t have an issue trading Forbort.

I think there are other guys still available out there who fit Monty’s defense better (better skaters) and who could be had for cheaper.

Smith is more difficult to me as the Bruins have only two natural RWs on the roster. I think it’d be shooting oneself in the foot.

I still think clearing about $5M is needed. Reilly and Forbort gone. One defenceman and our three forwards signed.

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I think there are other guys still available out there who fit Monty’s defense better (better skaters) and who could be had for cheaper.

Smith is more difficult to me as the Bruins have only two natural RWs on the roster. I think it’d be shooting oneself in the foot.

I still think clearing about $5M is needed. Reilly and Forbort gone. One defenceman and our three forwards signed.

I don't expect a d-man to be moved until everyone is healthy.

Unless you want to count Zboril's 54 NHL games, or Dan Renouf's 23 NHL games, your looking at Connor Carrick to give them 6 d-men with NHL experience.

What do you do if someone else goes down?

Lindholm - Zboril
Ahcan - Carlo
Renouf - Clifton
Carrick

That's your 7 if you trade both Forbort and Reilly.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

Unless you want to count Zboril's 54 NHL games, or Dan Renouf's 23 NHL games, your looking at Connor Carrick to give them 6 d-men with NHL experience.

Lindholm - Zboril
Ahcan - Carlo
Renouf - Clifton
Carrick

Watch Carrick be a major addition come playoff. Injuries etc is why . Carrick scores in game 7. Book it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Lindholm - Zboril
Ahcan - Carlo
Renouf - Clifton
Carrick

Free agency. I sign someone else for the $1M - $1.5M range. I don’t think trading one player gets the Bruins into the cap range they need to be in. Unless Nosek is dealt instead?

I know I keep beating the same drum, but Nathan Beaulieu is a better skater, plays with some nasty (which we need) and can also swing between LD/RD. Is he steady eddy like Forbort? Nope. A little more trick or treat. But I think his skill set fits better for what we lack. And I’m sure he’s not the only one out there.

Plus, if we have to scratch a guy like that when everyone is healthy, it’s a buck and a half on the bench and not $3M.

If it’s the difference between being able to fit Krejci and Bergeron in, I’ll take that chance.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Trading Smith really depends on if they believe one of Studnicka/Steen/McLaughlin can fill in, or if they can go out and get someone like Puilijarvi.

But I do agree, trading LD which is a position of depth for us would make the most sense, I just feel like Sweeney is gun shy because of all the D injuries we've had the past 3 or 4 years.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My very uninformed thoughts are there are dominoes in play.
Waiting on where other ufas go and then seeing if they can move out more salary.
To actually sign Zacha. Im expecting ( hoping) for less than his QO.
Next with those dollars ( trade & Zacha) get creative with PB and DK. Have enough for relative good base smaller bonus with one. The other gets relative smaller base with more in bonuses. Thus minimizing the carry over.
That in turn can play into what Pasta re-sign can look like.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Trading Smith really depends on if they believe one of Studnicka/Steen/McLaughlin can fill in, or if they can go out and get someone like Puilijarvi.

But I do agree, trading LD which is a position of depth for us would make the most sense, I just feel like Sweeney is gun shy because of all the D injuries we've had the past 3 or 4 years.
I might be wrong and maybe being a little harsh , but I do not believe any of those three names you mentioned can fill Smiths spot.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020

Donnie dont wait for nothing he like his team, he likes his 2021 ufas signed, he said this team is deep and solid

Donnie dont wait for nothing he like his team, he likes his 2021 ufas signed, he said this team is deep and solid

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
There’s no reason to trade Forbort and Reilly. I don’t even get why anyone would suggest that (obviously cap space I know). Plus I think it’s clear you’d keep Forbot out of the two. I don’t really know why people want him gone

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I might be wrong and maybe being a little harsh , but I do not believe any of those three names you mentioned can fill Smiths spot.
Not really a harsh assessment, it's a risk for sure, however Smith in the playoffs really struggles which makes me think younger legs in that spot might be better.

Additionally Smith is gone at the end of the year either way, to get an asset + space plus allow a younger guy to grow into that spot might be the smarter play.

Reactions: Gordoff

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I don’t really know why people want him gone
Mostly because he can't pass or skate or really do anything other than throw the puck off the glass and out. He's not even a very good penalty killer: Reilly had almost identical PK results to him in terms of goals against per ice time.

You could put Carrick in his spot and no one would notice the difference.

Reactions: KrejciWinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad