Waived: 2022-23 Ongoing Waivers Thread

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Does this mean he is returned to Vegas (or actually Henderson)?
Vegas still has to put in a successful claim.
If they don't put in a claim or someone ahead of them in priority puts in a claim, no
If they are the top claim, yes

However, even then he may not go to Henderson.
If Vegas makes a successful claim, but someone lower on priority puts in a claim, then Vegas has to keep him on the main roster, or put him back on waivers to send him to Henderson.
If Vegas is the only team to put in a claim, then they can send him to Henderson without waivers, if they want to

Reactions: Henderson Finest

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Vegas still has to put in a successful claim.
If they don't put in a claim or someone ahead of them in priority puts in a claim, no
If they are the top claim, yes

However, even then he may not go to Henderson.
If Vegas makes a successful claim, but someone lower on priority puts in a claim, then Vegas has to keep him on the main roster, or put him back on waivers to send him to Henderson.
If Vegas is the only team to put in a claim, then they can send him to Henderson without waivers, if they want to
Thought ince a player was sent through waivers with the intent to send to minors, and another team claims that player, the player must remain on the new team's roster for the remainder of the season. And if that player is subsequently placed on waivers again, that player was to be returned to the original team who can assign to their AHL team since he was already subjected to the waiver wire before.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Thought ince a player was sent through waivers with the intent to send to minors, and another team claims that player, the player must remain on the new team's roster for the remainder of the season. And if that player is subsequently placed on waivers again, that player was to be returned to the original team who can assign to their AHL team since he was already subjected to the waiver wire before.
The first part is correct, but essentially as long as any other team still has NHL interest in the player, he can't be sent down
ie. someone ahead of Vegas makes a claim they get him, a someone after Vegas makes a claim, Vegas has to keep him up because another team (though unsuccessful in their claim) still sees him as an NHL player

Reactions: Henderson Finest

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I wonder if we'd be interested in taking a look at Harrington. Good frame, skates well, also apparently has some leadership qualities according to EliteProspects. We probably have 1, 2, or 3 D going out this week so might fit the schedule

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wonder if we'd be interested in taking a look at Harrington. Good frame, skates well, also apparently has some leadership qualities according to EliteProspects. We probably have 1, 2, or 3 D going out this week so might fit the schedule
Called it

Reactions: Wats and ShelbyZ

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Random waivers question.
If a playoff team grabs a player off waivers, can they play in the playoffs since it's after the trade deadline?

Or is that rule just for trades?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Basically this
right,
but i wrote it that way, and the reserve list part, on purpose
so someone couldn't 'correct' me by citing situation of
signing a drafted kid (like Kreider/Makar, who debuts in playoffs)
or a signing and dressing UDFA, like an undrafted kid outta college

but, this being HFB, gotta get corrected regardless 8^)

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
right,
but i wrote it that way, and the reserve list part, on purpose
so someone couldn't 'correct' me by citing situation of
signing a drafted kid (like Kreider/Makar, who debuts in playoffs)
or a signing and dressing UDFA, like an undrafted kid outta college

but, this being HFB, gotta get corrected regardless 8^)
I may be wrong, but it is as simple as:
The player must be on the team's reserve list at the TDL or they are not eligible for the playoffs.
You had it correct without added clarification.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I may be wrong, but it is as simple as:
The player must be on the team's reserve list at the TDL or they are not eligible for the playoffs.
You had it correct without added clarification.
what about the corner case where a
NCAA UDFA 'demands' being on NHL roster to burn a contract 'year' that same spring?
Unavailable to dress in playoff? or is being on an ELC an exception?

asking as i am genuinely uncertain

Reactions: uncleben

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
what about the corner case where a
NCAA UDFA 'demands' being on NHL roster to burn a contract 'year' that same spring?
Unavailable to dress in playoff? or is being on an ELC an exception?

asking as i am genuinely uncertain

We had that case last season. Ben Meyers made the Frozen Four with the Golden Gophers then signed his 2 year ELC with Colorado a few days later. The contract started right away and he suited up in a handful of NHL games down the stretch but was ineligible to play in the playoffs. Meyers was able to burn the first year of his ELC and will be RFA this offseason (but without offer sheet privileges).

If a prospect was on a team's reserve list (ie, previously drafted), he could sign after the trade deadline and be eligible for the playoffs. Guys like Chris Kreider, Charlie McAvoy, and Cale Makar made their NHL debuts in the playoffs. Devils could use Luke Hughes if/when he signs in April.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

We had that case last season. Ben Meyers made the Frozen Four with the Golden Gophers then signed his 2 year ELC with Colorado a few days later. The contract started right away and he suited up in a handful of NHL games down the stretch but was ineligible to play in the playoffs. Meyers was able to burn the first year of his ELC and will be RFA this offseason (but without offer sheet privileges).

If a prospect was on a team's reserve list (ie, previously drafted), he could sign after the trade deadline and be eligible for the playoffs. Guys like Chris Kreider, Charlie McAvoy, and Cale Makar made their NHL debuts in the playoffs. Devils could use Luke Hughes if/when he signs in April.
When did this change? I can tell you with almost certainty, that 2009 and prior, there was no such rule for undrafted, college UFAs.

Also, Danny Dekeyser absolutely played a couple playoff games for Detroit, as well as AHL playoff games, right after signing as an undrafted college UFA. That had to be 2013 or 2014.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
When did this change? I can tell you with almost certainty, that 2009 and prior, there was no such rule for undrafted, college UFAs.

Also, Danny Dekeyser absolutely played a couple playoff games for Detroit, as well as AHL playoff games, right after signing as an undrafted college UFA. That had to be 2013 or 2014.
Dekeyser signed March 30
The trade deadline that year was April 3 bc of the lockout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad