B-Sens 2022-23 Belleville Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What does Sokolov have to do with this? Lol.

I am a big Sokolov fan, btw. Really, really hope he can carve an NHL career in some capacity. I look towards Mike Amadio as a potential comparable.
He's another 22 yr old that some have given up on, IMO he has the skill set to add some offence to the bottom six.

Reactions: armani

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Outsiders kept telling me that JBD was a bust... as "he can't crack a terrible roster"

That reason was also thrown for Brannstrom before... and probably many other guys.

He's another 22 yr old that some have given up on, IMO he has the skill set to add some offence to the bottom six.

But his defensive game is poor and he relies on the PP (that he won't sniff in Ottawa). Plus, the skating... I wish him the best but I have a hard time to see more than a cup-of-coffee guy... Maybe somewhere else if he's there at the right time

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Outsiders kept telling me that JBD was a bust... as "he can't crack a terrible roster"

That reason was also thrown for Brannstrom before... and probably many other guys.

But his defensive game is poor and he relies on the PP (that he won't sniff in Ottawa). Plus, the skating... I wish him the best but I have a hard time to see more than a cup-of-coffee guy... Maybe somewhere else if he's there at the right time
We'll see, I include him in the "probably many other guys".

Reactions: Xspyrit

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Does he have the potential to be a top 4 RD? I think so, but he has to increase his pt production.

JBD's potential is that of a safe bottom pairing guy, I believe he will start as #7 next season. Nothing really to prove or improve in the AHL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD's potential is that of a safe bottom pairing guy, I believe he will start as #7 next season. Nothing really to prove or improve in the AHL.
JBD was just named Belleville's "Defenceman of the Year", which is interesting given not many have him on the roster for next yr. While I agree he's likely to start on the bottom pairing probably sharing time with Hamonic, he could at some point have 2nd pairing potential & play with Sanderson. I imagine he has some experience playing with both Sanderson & Kleven at North Dakota & were coached the same way on D, the right way. All three IMO will help this team sooner or later.

Reactions: Xspyrit

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
JBD was just named Belleville's "Defenceman of the Year", which is interesting given not many have him on the roster for next yr. While I agree he's likely to start on the bottom pairing probably sharing time with Hamonic, he could at some point have 2nd pairing potential & play with Sanderson. I imagine he has some experience playing with both Sanderson & Kleven at North Dakota & were coached the same way on D, the right way. All three IMO will help this team sooner or later.

I know he has been named the best D for BSens but he is likely the only graduate I see making it to NHL (maybe Thomson if he can show skills that are not redundant by current Sens d-men). I also don't see JBD with top-4 skillset. He is a safe bottom pairing guy who doesn't shine in anything in particular, but can make safe plays. Seems to be a safe bottom pairing/7th option.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I know he has been named the best D for BSens but he is likely the only graduate I see making it to NHL (maybe Thomson if he can show beyond skills redundant by current Sens d-men). I also don't see JBD with top-4 skillset. He is a safe bottom pairing guy who doesn't shine in anything in particular, but can make safe plays. Seems to be a safe bottom pairing/7th option.
I wouldn't count Sokolov out just yet either, he is waiver eligibe next yr who they could lose if he isn't on the team. I think he could have a possibility on that 3rd line RW spot where Joseph is ripe to be moved or improved on. JBD could be the guy who hangs back as Hamonic did which allowed Sanderson to take off offensively & those two might have some comfort playing together. We'll see, both are just beginning their NHL careers & have a long way to go & are still young enough that they can both improve with specific conditioning & targeted improvement areas. Jarventie is another guy to keep an eye on next yr & how much longer before he is NHL ready, Greig is likely an injury call up if he doesn't make the team out of TC. They have some interesting young prospects.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I wouldn't count Sokolov out just yet either, he is waiver eligibe next yr who they could lose if he isn't on the team. I think he could have a possibility on that 3rd line RW spot where Joseph is ripe to be moved or improved on. JBD could be the guy who hangs back as Hamonic did which allowed Sanderson to take off offensively & those two might have some comfort playing together. We'll see, both are just beginning their NHL careers & have a long way to go & are still young enough that they can both improve with specific conditioning & targeted improvement areas. Jarventie is another guy to keep an eye on next yr & how much longer before he is NHL ready, Greig is likely an injury call up if he doesn't make the team out of TC. They have some interesting young prospects.

Agreed, but my comment about graduation was in terms of BSens d-men as we are discussing JBD. See him as a bottom pairing option, but not as a top-4.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I'm astounded that the pre-draft scouting reports projected JBD as an offensive D-man with an elite slapshot and skating ability.

His Pro Stats:
132 GP, 4 G, 13 A, 17 PTS

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canucks fan here with a few questions about former Canucks prospect Cole Cassels. Am I right in thinking that he was on an AHL contract this season? His numbers look somewhat impressive to me— a decent point total with, seemingly, little power play time. Was there ever any discussion about him getting an NHL deal? Does he have a future with the organization?

Does Russ Jackson still live in Ottawa?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I don’t know about that. Assuming we lose Cat and Norris picks up his PP minutes, we’ve still got Brass who had over 100 mins of PP time. Joseph and Kastelic combined for another 50.

Barring another top 6 addition, if he makes the team I’d rather see Soko get those minutes than any of our other options (maybe Greig?). I’d run these PPs in the preseason

18-7-9-72-19 (proven)
28-57-75-85-6 (gives G and Sandy an embarrassment of shooting options)

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don’t know about that. Assuming we lose Cat and Norris picks up his PP minutes, we’ve still got Brass who had over 100 mins of PP time. Joseph and Kastelic combined for another 50.

Barring another top 6 addition, if he makes the team I’d rather see Soko get those minutes than any of our other options (maybe Greig?). I’d run these PPs in the preseason

18-7-9-72-19
28-57-75-85-6
Sokolov has the size in front of the net to block the goalies vision & he has the skillset to score from in close, to pick up the garbage around the net. He has decent hands, he has a decent shot & he's learned to use his skillset in the AHL to lead Bellville in scoring. The only prospect IMO ahead of him for forward options at this point is Greig or Formenton if he returns & they both play different positions. Gauthier plays RW, but I'm not sure he has the puckhandling skillset, at least I haven't seen it yet & he seems better suited to be a complimentary player & could likely replace Watson on the 4th line.

Reactions: Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

18-7-9-72-19 (proven)
28-57-75-85-6 (gives G and Sandy an embarrassment of shooting options)

But that's the thing, D-men need more PP minutes too. Brannstrom is not even in the guys you just named. Kleven could get minutes when he comes up as well. Greig should definitely get minutes

And Giroux, Sanderson and Chychrun could be on any PP1. Plus several guys (Sanderson and Chabot) who could play the whole 2 minutes

We need to also find a good replacement for DeBrincat (without being a big name, so cheaper) but that guy might need pp minutes too

It might be an embarassment of riches and a good problem to have but also why it might be hard for guys like Sokolov and Thomspon to make their marks with this team

=======================================

But there will be an opportunity for guys like Crookshank and Sokolov. So far we only have 9 forwards guaranteed to be in the lineup :

Stutzle, Norris, Tkachuk, Batherson, Giroux, Pinto, Greig, Joseph, Kastelic

Need 2 quality middle-six forwards and a good bottom-6 forward. Alex Formenton, Nick Paul and Connor Brown would be incredibly ideal. Need to get back at least one forward of that ilk in the DeBrincat trade. Sign another one in UFA or benefit of the cap crunch to get player on the cheap? (like Bjorkstrand last summer). Could also sign an UFA. One of my targets would be Cogliano.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sokolov has the size in front of the net to block the goalies vision & he has the skillset to score from in close, to pick up the garbage around the net. He has decent hands, he has a decent shot & he's learned to use his skillset in the AHL to lead Bellville in scoring. The only prospect IMO ahead of him for forward options at this point is Greig or Formenton if he returns & they both play different positions. Gauthier plays RW, but I'm not sure he has the puckhandling skillset, at least I haven't seen it yet & he seems better suited to be a complimentary player & could likely replace Watson on the 4th line.

Agree with all of this other than that I think Jarventie still has higher upside. His shot arsenal and one timer are pretty nasty.

In the old hockeys future number and letter grading system he’d have had a higher number with lower letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: armani and aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad