2022-2023 OHL season prediction thread

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
OMG, built for next season is not limited to 1/20 teams. I can argue Guelph & NB are built for next season. Heck, any of the five central teams can realistically make 2023-24 their year. But built for 125 regular season games from now, and will make a title run …we may not even be able to correctly say which teams will make a title run after the 2024 trade deadline.

I don’t understand your obsession with a rebuild in 2024-25. Take a shot, worry about re-tooling after.
You can choose to believe and promote the ‘67s as a model franchise that has done things the right way. For spite, I’ll say any team can take the hard road that the ‘67s, Firebirds, hounds took. It’s not that impressive to have 4-5 poor years selling off the only players capable of making the team worth watching in order to bank a couple of top 4 picks.
Guelph trading away an entire draft class to win, then a few years later boast two years of the leagues top number of NHL draft players is impressive. Kingston deemed by many as cellar dwellers for several seasons after taking a shot, have since taken another shot and have thrown their hat into the ring to host the memorial cup; that’s pretty cool. The Petes had one often injured player to show for the 2017 and 2018 draft classes and “wasted” some of the few picks they had just to make the playoffs, now in the conversation of contenders. Wow, right?

Reactions: StormWatcher

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG, built for next season is not limited to 1/20 teams. I can argue Guelph & NB are built for next season. Heck, any of the five central teams can realistically make 2023-24 their year. But built for 125 regular season games from now, and will make a title run …we may not even be able to correctly say which teams will make a title run after the 2024 trade deadline.

I don’t understand your obsession with a rebuild in 2024-25. Take a shot, worry about re-tooling after.
You can choose to believe and promote the ‘67s as a model franchise that has done things the right way. For spite, I’ll say any team can take the hard road that the ‘67s, Firebirds, hounds took. It’s not that impressive to have 4-5 poor years selling off the only players capable of making the team worth watching in order to bank a couple of top 4 picks.
Guelph trading away an entire draft class to win, then a few years later boast two years of the leagues top number of NHL draft players is impressive. Kingston deemed by many as cellar dwellers for several seasons after taking a shot, have since taken another shot and have thrown their hat into the ring to host the memorial cup; that’s pretty cool. The Petes had one often injured player to show for the 2017 and 2018 draft classes and “wasted” some of the few picks they had just to make the playoffs, now in the conversation of contenders. Wow, right?

The point is when someone says a team is build for a particular season, the expectation is they are going to contend. That is my interpretation. It usually means they have the pieces in place to add one or two key pieces and they are a sure fire Championship contender. THAT is how I read that comment. So, when you say built for next year, I look at the roster and see what they have and they really don’t have a lot. They don’t have anymore than any other average team. They have a reasonable group of forwards that they can work with but arguably three returning D-Men on what would be considered a championship roster (there’s no way they can use Cato as an OA on a contending team) and possibly no goalie. That is what I see.

You point to eight 19 year olds. I think they have five. Two of the other three are relatively useless and the third is a goalie that hasn't shown the ability to play at a level needed. Now, it is a goalie so that can change quickly and we really do need the full season this year to see if Flores is actually a quality goalie or not so I will reserve full judgement on him to the end of the season.

I also looks their trade assets. They burned through a lot of trade assets already just to get to the point where, IMO, they are average. That has been my point since the beginning. However, I tried hard to look at the roster more closely and figure out a way for them to actually improve that team enough to be a competent Memorial Cup host. They only way I see them being able to do that is to trade at least one of next year’s first round picks and pretty much all fo their remaining quality picks through 2026 as well as sell off some of their 19 year olds this year at the deadline (keep the three 19 year olds they anchor as OA’s next year). If they do that then I agree they may be in a quality situation.

However, if they were to do that, I point out they have two years of no picks, they have three 19 year olds and none of them are trending to the level of getting boatloads of pick sin return for. They will have no 18 or 19 year old 1st round picks the following season to be anchor players. I am simply pointing out if they do the things necessary to Contend and participate as a Memorial Cup host, they simply aren’t as well positioned to rebuild as most other teams that have made a run.

Does any of that preclude them doing what I am suggesting? No. Does that mean I am bang on regarding their ability to rebuild? No. I am simply pointing out that if Niagara chooses the nuclear option of hell or high water contention next year (which does seem to be the plan), then I don’t like the look of it. At all.

Usually teams that contend using assets make trades to bank trade assets in advance and then build their teams foundation and then use the surplus assets plus some additional assets to acquire key impact players to augment their team. My point with Niagara is they were devoid of many of the pieces so they used assets to acquire the foundational pieces. What teams every have done that? I can’t think of any bottom feeder team that would have been a bottom feeder team again use assets to be a middle tier team to create a foundation to essentially throw everything they have at something and leave themselves with nothing but an expansion team. I haven’t ever seen it. Ever. This will be a first IMO.

You can point to Guelph and Kingston, fine but they had decent teams before they started making trades. Niagara has three ‘05s and one ‘04 that was drafted by them that will participate on their roster next year. Four players. FOUR! They purchased the entire team and have the draft pick closet remaining to prove it. And yet, somehow, this team is going to barf up more draft assets and potentially more first round picks next year to throw it at a single season. It is reckless to say the least. The reality is, they won’t get to host the Memorial Cup without making more moves prior to this deadline. Again, it is reckless, especially when a team full of 18 year olds and four high quality 19 year olds will struggle to remain above .500 this year.

And, for the record, i am not using the 67’s as the model franchise in this argument. I am using them to show that as 67’s fans, we don’t believe they have the type of team returning to even think about contending and yet, looking at the current roster and draft cabinet, the 67’s are better positioned to make a run next year than Niagara is. We expect to potentially sell off a player to recoup whatever assets are used this year to potentially make a run. It is simply a comparison of rosters and situations which make the point of Niagara doing what it is doing to be reckless.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
For spite, I’ll say any team can take the hard road that the ‘67s, Firebirds, hounds took. It’s not that impressive to have 4-5 poor years selling off the only players capable of making the team worth watching in order to bank a couple of top 4 picks.
When did the Hounds do this?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
We need to change the thread title to “The OMG vs dirty Niagara debate”. I’m curious to see how this one plays out. I’m leaning towards Niagara not being all that great this year but still making the playoffs and then not quite having enough on the bench or in the cupboards for a true MC challenge next year but dirty does bring a solid argument on some stuff that makes me wonder.
i remember when it was me and him going at it months back lol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Generally speaking, this is how many teams do it. I think it is just a general observation on the current accepted cycle of junior hockey where if a team isn’t competing, they sell off their marketable player for future assets and push those assets forward into a future team to make a run. I don’t think he was putting all those team into the exact same boat. Certain teams have done it more aggressively but most Championship calibre teams do it to varying levels of degree. I can’t remember to be honest but I assume SSM has made a seller move prior to a buyer move the following year or two later.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not typically, despite the pleas from our board. That's why I asked.

EDIT: pleas, not please

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not typically, despite the please from our board. That's why I asked.
Ottawa, for example, had a few bad season leading up to their Finals appearance against Guelph. They did shed some bodies leading up to that and added some draf tpick capital. They didn’t use a lot of it but they did acquire a couple OA’s. Then the Pandemic hit and they couldn’t make the seller trades that are typical after their two season run. Unfortunate. But, the good part was they didn’t use a lot of the draft capital for either of those two seasons so they exited the Pandemic with more picks than the average team. They added to those picks this year with some trades of excess players. And they traided both Sirizzotti and Belanger last season.

I believe that is more what Dirty is referencing. Sault got tossed into it but not to the same degree. Conversely, what Ottawa has done to date doesn’t come close to matching what Guelph did. Dirty’s Guelph example is probably quite extreme compared to the norm but he is accurate in referencing it because it did happen.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sault got tossed into it but not to the same degree.
Not to the same degree, or not to any degree?

Soo's recent regular season performance, year over year:

2022-2023 BAD, but haven't really sold anyone
2021-2022 GOOD, 4th in the west, added at deadline
2020-2021 GOOD, COVID no season * good team, attempted bid for Memorial Cup
2019-2020 BAD, 9th in the west but didn't really sell anyone
2018-2019 GOOD, 3rd in west, chance to sell but didn't
2017-2018 GOOD, 1st in west, added at deadline

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Before Dubas, the outgoing GM sold off pretty much every thing available to give the team a clean slate and an oil tanker of picks. In a 5 yr span, 3 with Dubas, SSM had picked #1, #2, #4.
Edit: 2009-2012; #1, #14, #3, #4.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ah yes, thought you were talking about something more recent. Now let us never speak of those dark times again.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Ye olde good days when Windsor used to be something….
Ye olde good days? You mean like today right? They are an offensive powerhouse leading the west yet again, just like all of you predicted earlier in this thread, right?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ye olde good days? You mean like today right? They are an offensive powerhouse leading the west yet again, just like all of you predicted earlier in this thread, right?
Dude, it was tongue in cheek. Get a grip.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Season not quite over yet but I was looking through here...

The West predictions were all way off (FLT/GUE/OS/KIT very high & LDN/WSR very low)

For the East, with the exception of Ottawa surprising as the #1 team (most predicted ~6th), there were some pretty close predictions & things generally went as expected.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
So let play shall we, this is simply based off what teams could look like plus/minus the teams that tweak at the deadline. Looking at what every team has roughly based on trades I think the league will be really exciting to watch this season either way. After seeing what Niagara has done so far in the trade pool I'm not really convinced that they will be in the top half of the eastern conference, but will see how things shake out by the end of the season.

Western conference

1. London
2. Sarnia
3. Owen Sound
4. Guelph
5. Kitchener
6. Windsor
7. Erie
8. Saginaw
9. Soo
10. Flint

Eastern
1. Kingston
2. North Bay
3. Peterborough
4. Mississauaga
5. Oshawa
6. Barrie
7. Ottawa
8. Niagara
9. Sudbury
10. Hamilton

Conference winners
Eastern - Kingston
Western - Owen Sound

League champion - Owen Sound

Best of luck to the team's in the league and all the posters on here may we see some good competitive games this season in a regular schedule season for 2022-23.

😂😂😂😂😂

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well the one prediction I made came true- this season was going to be very hard to predict. Scores are the lowest I've ever seen including mine.
Here goes and sorry if I made any boo boo's. Just let me know and I will recalculate and adjust if required.

1 Kingpin794 - 22
2 Voice from the north - 20
3 Hammer9001 - 18
3 Square corners - 18
5 Petes1987 - 17
5 Puckstop 75 - 17
7 OMG67 - 12
8 LDN - 11
8 Ohl fan - 11
8 AttackSound - 11
11 Stormwatcher - 10
12 View from section 9 - 9
12 The green tank - 9
14 Three dog night - 8
14 Nelli - 8
16 Bra wavers- 6
16 Cfaub - 6
16 From up top - 6
19 Ferda11 - 5
19 Lazyboy- 5
21 Leafs4life94 - 3
21 Hush10 - 3
21 Generalsupdates- 3
24 Ohloutsider - 2
24 Northernbridge7 - 2
24 Devin - 2
27 OHLTG - 0
27 Iceman TBI - 0
27 EvenSteven- 0
27 Savard18 - 0
27 GoPetesGo - 0
27 Stingupdates - 0
27 Brock - 0
27 OHL4life- 0
27 Dirty 12 - 0

Sorry HockeyPops I have no idea how to score your predictions?

Thanks everyone for taking part this year. FYI I will not be doing the season prediction thread next year. I find the playoff prediction thread is more interactive and with the updates and totals coming up every couple of weeks seems to keep everyone interested. The season predictions are long forget after a few months so as stated I will drop that one. Good luck with the playoffs!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Oh wow you weren't kidding. My predictions were garbage. Behold my throne that rest upon trash mountain!

And it retires on your head!

Well the one prediction I made came true- this season was going to be very hard to predict. Scores are the lowest I've ever seen including mine.
Here goes and sorry if I made any boo boo's. Just let me know and I will recalculate and adjust if required.

1 Kingpin794 - 22
2 Voice from the north - 20
3 Hammer9001 - 18
3 Square corners - 18
5 Petes1987 - 17
5 Puckstop 75 - 17
7 OMG67 - 12
8 LDN - 11
8 Ohl fan - 11
8 AttackSound - 11
11 Stormwatcher - 10
12 View from section 9 - 9
12 The green tank - 9
14 Three dog night - 8
14 Nelli - 8
16 Bra wavers- 6
16 Cfaub - 6
16 From up top - 6
19 Ferda11 - 5
19 Lazyboy- 5
21 Leafs4life94 - 3
21 Hush10 - 3
21 Generalsupdates- 3
24 Ohloutsider - 2
24 Northernbridge7 - 2
24 Devin - 2
27 OHLTG - 0
27 Iceman TBI - 0
27 EvenSteven- 0
27 Savard18 - 0
27 GoPetesGo - 0
27 Stingupdates - 0
27 Brock - 0
27 OHL4life- 0
27 Dirty 12 - 0

Sorry HockeyPops I have no idea how to score your predictions?

Thanks everyone for taking part this year. FYI I will not be doing the season prediction thread next year. I find the playoff prediction thread is more interactive and with the updates and totals coming up every couple of weeks seems to keep everyone interested. The season predictions are long forget after a few months so as stated I will drop that one. Good luck with the playoffs!

Maybe do a two parter? Season prediction up to the trade deadline and then another one post deadline?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad