2022-2023 OHL season prediction thread

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well it is time to start thinking about the up coming season and who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

Rules are the same as in the past as with the point system. There will be an Eastern conference winner. A Western conference winner and an overall winner. You will be awarded points for each correct prediction in both conferences. 10 points for predicting the 1st place team. 9 points for predicting the 2nd place team. 8 points for predicting the 3rd place team. 7 points for predicting the 4th place team and so on until you get down to the last place team and 1 point for predicting the last place team.

Deadline for entry is 7PM September 29th 2022. Points will be totaled after the completion of the last game of the season on March 26 2023. Final results will be posted within a few days of the end of the season.

No prizes will be issued so you will be playing for the fun of it.

You may edit your picks up to the deadline but editing after that or any new entry lists will not be accepted. ( I screen shot the lists at the deadline and that is what I calculate from).

Any questions you can post here or send me a DM if you wish. Good luck and to be honest I think this will be a tough year to predict the outcome as many teams are close this year.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
East Barrie
Barrie
North Bay
Petes
Missy
Kingston
Oshawa
Niagara
Sudbury
Hamilton
Ottawa

West Flint OHL Champ
Flint
Windsor
Owen Sound
Guelph
London
Sarnia
Soo
Kitchener
Saginaw
Erie

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
So let play shall we, this is simply based off what teams could look like plus/minus the teams that tweak at the deadline. Looking at what every team has roughly based on trades I think the league will be really exciting to watch this season either way. After seeing what Niagara has done so far in the trade pool I'm not really convinced that they will be in the top half of the eastern conference, but will see how things shake out by the end of the season.

Western conference

1. London
2. Sarnia
3. Owen Sound
4. Guelph
5. Kitchener
6. Windsor
7. Erie
8. Saginaw
9. Soo
10. Flint

Eastern
1. Kingston
2. North Bay
3. Peterborough
4. Mississauaga
5. Oshawa
6. Barrie
7. Ottawa
8. Niagara
9. Sudbury
10. Hamilton

Conference winners
Eastern - Kingston
Western - Owen Sound

League champion - Owen Sound

Best of luck to the team's in the league and all the posters on here may we see some good competitive games this season in a regular schedule season for 2022-23.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MJ5

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Wow AttackSound, you have Flint finishing last and I have them finishing first and winning OHL. Flint has everyone returning basically and only real issue is if Cranley can be close to Cavallin. From 3rd this past year to last in the upcoming year. Maybe I have to re evaluate or maybe u just hate Flint. LOL

One of us will be on the wrong end. LOL:popcorn:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Wow AttackSound, you have Flint finishing last and I have them finishing first and winning OHL. Flint has everyone returning basically and only real issue is if Cranley can be close to Cavallin. From 3rd this past year to last in the upcoming year. Maybe I have to re evaluate or maybe u just hate Flint. LOL

One of us will be on the wrong end. LOL:popcorn:
Not that I don't think Flint wouldn't be higher but with all the other teams improving, I can't see a team like the Firebirds being big players in the conference they'll likely be a seller at the deadline.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
FYI you have Sarnia listed twice.

You have London #1 and they are losing their best 5 forwards, one or 2 of their older dmen and maybe the goalie.

Owen Sound losing Porco, Portakalis, Lesage and Machachek, Wooley and Chribrikov, and have only replaced with an unproven 06 and they have improved???

We agree to disagree, but no team in the West really has done any major improvement except maybe Sarnia, but their deals can be second guessed.

Maybe I will be eating crow at the end of the year but what I see out there is totally opposite to what you have.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
FYI you have Sarnia listed twice.

You have London #1 and they are losing their best 5 forwards, one or 2 of their older dmen and maybe the goalie.

Owen Sound losing Porco, Portakalis, Lesage and Machachek, Wooley and Chribrikov, and have only replaced with an unproven 06 and they have improved???

We agree to disagree, but no team in the West really has done any major improvement except maybe Sarnia, but their deals can be second guessed.

Maybe I will be eating crow at the end of the year but what I see out there is totally opposite to what you have.

Time will tell.
Well we can agree to disagree but until the teams start playing its anyone's guess

Reactions: Ferda11 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
East:
Peterborough
Barrie
NB
Mississauga
Niagara
Ottawa
Sudbury
Kingston
Hamilton
Oshawa

West:
Flint
Kitchener
OS
Guelph
Sarnia
Windsor
Erie
London
Saginaw
Soo

Last edited:
Reactions: Devin

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
So let play shall we, this is simply based off what teams could look like plus/minus the teams that tweak at the deadline. Looking at what every team has roughly based on trades I think the league will be really exciting to watch this season either way. After seeing what Niagara has done so far in the trade pool I'm not really convinced that they will be in the top half of the eastern conference, but will see how things shake out by the end of the season.

Western conference

1. London
2. Sarnia
3. Owen Sound
4. Guelph
5. Kitchener
6. Windsor
7. Erie
8. Saginaw
9. Soo
10. Flint

Eastern
1. Kingston
2. North Bay
3. Peterborough
4. Mississauaga
5. Oshawa
6. Barrie
7. Ottawa
8. Niagara
9. Sudbury
10. Hamilton

Conference winners
Eastern - Kingston
Western - Owen Sound

Best of luck to the team's in the league and all the posters on here may we see some good competitive games this season in a regular schedule season for 2022-23.
Woah Barrie 6th? Lol

I know the O had them as favourites last year but literally everything that could go wrong for them went wrong.

If the market isn’t s*** and they can actually add at the deadline due to other teams selling then

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Woah Barrie 6th? Lol

I know the O had them as favourites last year but literally everything that could go wrong for them went wrong.

If the market isn’t s*** and they can actually add at the deadline due to other teams selling then
The Colts have always been an odd team to realistically judge when they are good and when they're rebuilding.

Last season was a great example of that, they looked like they'd be big players at the deadline and then only really added Guzda and then stopped. This season could be a year where Barrie either sells off top guys and builds for a year or two down the road or sits back and hopes for their team to hopefully have a healthy lineup.

Until the teams start playing this thread is really guess work and fun to play along with, especially before the season starts.

Some of us maybe right some of maybe wrong but it's all in good fun.

Reactions: Devin

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not that I don't think Flint wouldn't be higher but with all the other teams improving, I can't see a team like the Firebirds being big players in the conference they'll likely be a seller at the deadline.
Without Othman and without any OA forwards, Flint would have a playoff caliber forward group imo. I think the player that really matters for the firebirds is Kuzmin.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Colts have always been an odd team to realistically judge when they are good and when they're rebuilding.

Last season was a great example of that, they looked like they'd be big players at the deadline and then only really added Guzda and then stopped. This season could be a year where Barrie either sells off top guys and builds for a year or two down the road or sits back and hopes for their team to hopefully have a healthy lineup.

Until the teams start playing this thread is really guess work and fun to play along with, especially before the season starts.

Some of us maybe right some of maybe wrong but it's all in good fun.
It most certainly is all speculation at this point, but you should look at the roster and know if the team is pick needy or not before making the statement that teams may be sellers.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
OS

Flint

Guelph

Sarnia

Windsor

London

Saginaw

Kitchener

Erie

Soo

After 5-9 is a mix and match as you please. Just took my best guess.

Petes

Missy

Barrie

North Bay

Sudbury

Niagara (sorry guys)

Ottawa

Oshawa

Kingston

Hamilton

East predictions gonna be very wrong probably

Reactions: I Loveallsports

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
Let's give this a go shall we.

East
1. Barrie
2. Peterborough
3. Mississauga
4. North Bay
5. Sudbury
6. Oshawa
7. Kingston
8. Niagara
9. Ottawa
10. Hamilton

West
1. Flint
2. Owen Sound
3. Guelph
4. Kitchener
5. Sarnia
6. Sault Ste. Marie
7. London
8. Erie
9. Windsor
10. Saginaw

Barrie over Owen Sound in the Final

Reactions: I Loveallsports

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

Western conference

1. London
2. Sarnia
3. Owen Sound
4. Guelph
5. Kitchener
6. Windsor
7. Erie
8. Saginaw
9. Soo
10. Flint

Eastern
1. Kingston
2. North Bay
3. Peterborough
4. Mississauaga
5. Oshawa
6. Barrie
7. Ottawa
8. Niagara
9. Sudbury
10. Hamilton

Conference winners
Eastern - Kingston
Western - Owen Sound

Just out of curiosity - how do you see Kingston winning the East? They've lost 4/6 of their top 6 even if Wright is back - if he stays with Seattle then it's just Arcuri back, and out of their top 6 he's the least able to drive a line/lead a team. With Wright I think their ceiling is a 4-5 spot, without Wright I'd say 7-8.

Reactions: rangersblues

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I find it surprising that Ottawa has been placed so low on many lists so far. They return all seven D-Men, their starting goalie and all but a marginal OA Forward and an Import they traded to Niagara to be able to use their high Import pick in the latest draft (Kasper likely won’t join the team tho). Beck was injured for most of last season.

I know a lot of teams are returning a fair number of players but the 67’s are basically returning their entire roster or at least everyone of significance.

That said, the East does look deep so we may see a dog fight for the top 4-5 spots with very little separation. The West is the Conference that may look rather weak this season by comparison.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
One thing I am surprised about so far seeing these lists is how often Kitchener is being listed in the lower half of these lists. very curious to see why this is.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I find it surprising that Ottawa has been placed so low on many lists so far. They return all seven D-Men, their starting goalie and all but a marginal OA Forward and an Import they traded to Niagara to be able to use their high Import pick in the latest draft (Kasper likely won’t join the team tho). Beck was injured for most of last season.

I know a lot of teams are returning a fair number of players but the 67’s are basically returning their entire roster or at least everyone of significance.

That said, the East does look deep so we may see a dog fight for the top 4-5 spots with very little separation. The West is the Conference that may look rather weak this season by comparison.
One thing I am surprised about so far seeing these lists is how often Kitchener is being listed in the lower half of these lists. very curious to see why this is.
Threads like this can be fun, but there should be a general rule that if you're going to question other people's opinions/guesses, you should have to post your own guesses. Can't question other people but not be willing to post your own.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Threads like this can be fun, but there should be a general rule that if you're going to question other people's opinions/guesses, you should have to post your own guesses. Can't question other people but not be willing to post your own.
I think blatant homer-ism is a factor as well....but that's what fans do, over hype their teams, discredit others....all part of the game. :cheer:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

A good chunk of teams this season can say "we return so much/only lose X." So much so, that I don't even think people can use that as a reason to move a team up their rankings. It's going to come down to how much someone values those returning players and what you think their upside is.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
There should be a pre training camp thread just for fun, and then another thread with a Sept 29 deadline for reals. Because this is just way too early to predict anything. And yet, like a trainwreck, I get drawn in even though I know better. Lol.

Best to worst.

North Bay Battalion
Flint Firebirds
Owen Sound Attack
Peterborough Petes

Barrie Colts
Mississauga Steelheads
Hamilton Bulldogs
Guelph Storm
Sarnia Sting
Kitchener Rangers
Windsor Spitfires
London Knights
Ottawa 67'S
Niagara IceDogs
Kingston Frontenacs
Erie Otters

Sudbury Wolves
Oshawa Generals
Soo Greyhounds
Saginaw Spirit

Reactions: The Green Tank

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It’s way too early to actually place my personal picks at this point but it’s not too early to see some teams are clearly over/under ranked on certain lists. Once the season is near though, I agree with this.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
It most certainly is all speculation at this point, but you should look at the roster and know if the team is pick needy or not before making the statement that teams may be sellers.
Agreed.

They finished there last year and havent done much to improve this year.
Maybe things will change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad