Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Um, Stamkos? At least he was pretty close to that amount of hype.
God was he really? I didn't start REALLY getting into following young players until about 2008 when he was drafted and everyone was raving about Tavares and Hedman for the next draft year. I never really looked back in time from thereon beyond the fact Crosby was hyped since he was like 12.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
God was he really? I didn't start REALLY getting into following young players until about 2008 when he was drafted and everyone was raving about Tavares and Hedman for the next draft year. I never really looked back in time from thereon beyond the fact Crosby was hyped since he was like 12.
I mean there was a reason they did that whole Seen Stamkos? campaign before he was even drafted. He was that much of a slam dunk number 1 pick.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean there was a reason they did that whole Seen Stamkos? campaign before he was even drafted. He was that much of a slam dunk number 1 pick.
Nah I remember that. Its that I have been hearing about Bedard for.... God 6 years now? Other than McDavid I can't remember that many people declaring generational talent that young. The Lightning have never had that I mean. Not that it matters. This is a brief funk by the Lightning here and this is fun to talk about..But if IT DOES get bad it's okay. Why? JFBB is so smart man. How blessed are we to have him as GM? He's gonna know to pull the cord and protect our pick within the top 10.

I heard the story of Sam Pollock wheeling and dealing for the 1979 draft and I'll be damned if they didn't get #1 overall. Had Gretzky not gone WHA the great Sam Pollock would've pulled off the greatest coup yet and taken him.

If we want something that rivals Detroit's 25 years, it may take something like us doing the same. Maybe. And maybe not even this year but I'd like a few new faces while our legends have their prime still

Reactions: LordZapp

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Nah I remember that. Its that I have been hearing about Bedard for.... God 6 years now? Other than McDavid I can't remember that many people declaring generational talent that young. The Lightning have never had that I mean. Not that it matters. This is a brief funk by the Lightning here and this is fun to talk about..But if IT DOES get bad it's okay. Why? JFBB is so smart man. How blessed are we to have him as GM? He's gonna know to pull the cord and protect our pick within the top 10.

I heard the story of Sam Pollock wheeling and dealing for the 1979 draft and I'll be damned if they didn't get #1 overall. Had Gretzky not gone WHA the great Sam Pollock would've pulled off the greatest coup yet and taken him.

If we want something that rivals Detroit's 25 years, it may take something like us doing the same. Maybe. And maybe not even this year but I'd like a few new faces while our legends have their prime still
There was huge push around Daigle and Yakupov from years before their draft years too. Crosby had a lot of hype too.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Killorn is way past over due to be off this team. I can’t believe out of all the players that left he’s the one to survive this long. He’s slow and has terrible playmaking ability. Hes only getting older and slower too.

More points than anyone not named Stamkos, Hedman and Kucherov last year, more points than any other forward other Stamkos, Kucherov and Point over the last 3 years also, weird to complain about scoring depth and capspace then bitch about Killorn. The reason he's still around is because he's good value, unlike everybody else we shipped off.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The quote I saw was giving that newfound 4 million to Killorn, based on his current salary means he'd be an 8+ player.
Because in most cap runs for next year where the cap only goes up 1 million, Killorn's current money is usually allocated towards raises for Colton(and a little for Foote), plus whatever other depth signings can be made. The joke was that if JBB gets an extra 3, he'll find a way to use that to keep Killorn.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
sure he's not particularly fast, and never was. and yeah, he hasn't scored a goal or anything, but have you seen him jet-ski?

More points than anyone not named Stamkos, Hedman and Kucherov last year, more points than any other forward other Stamkos, Kucherov and Point over the last 3 years also, weird to complain about scoring depth and capspace then bitch about Killorn. The reason he's still around is because he's good value, unlike everybody else we shipped off.
yeah, as much as i don't like him, i dont think we can replace him. but i don't want to re-sign him either.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Except for when the games counted most of course, then he wasn't better value than that Palat guy just about every year. Either way, he'll be gone after this year as well and hopefully JBB can find some good value if there's extra cap space.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
sure he's not particularly fast, and never was. and yeah, he hasn't scored a goal or anything, but have you seen him jet-ski?

yeah, as much as i don't like him, i dont think we can replace him. but i don't want to re-sign him either.

He's 34 next year, same reason people didn't want palat resigned, they're going to want term and it's not going to age well. Killorn might be all talk about how he won't leave TB but when the chips are on the table he's going to take the biggest offer he can this off-season.

Except for when the games counted most of course, then he wasn't better value than that Palat guy just about every year. Either way, he'll be gone after this year as well and hopefully JBB can find some good value if there's extra cap space.

Sure and Palat would be here if he wasn't chasing money so what'd your point? Acting like we should've traded Killorn after 3 60 point pace seasons at 4M is just stupid. Acting like Killorn has never had a good playoff run is equally that. If the option was to trade Killorn and re-sign Palat for a year they would've done it, if the option was to trade Killorn and commit 5 years to Palat that's just dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
My point is that Killorn wasn't some great value keep, and that there was a point where moving him for solid future value was an option. He has been a solid player but the decline seems quite apparent based on last playoffs and the small sample size of this season. He can also be replaced if a 3rd line ability is all he has left. He also wasn't great value in the playoffs over others(outside of one year in the last 5), so it's not as though he was Mr. Clutch there. He has one more year and that's fine, but if JBB thinks about keeping him if Tampa gets an extra 3 million, then he's doing a poor job.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hope Killorn is able to find his game, as well as quite a few others, as it would be great to see him finish his last season in Tampa with another 50+ point campaign. Plus, if Tampa is going to make another run, they will need players like him, Names and Hagel to be solid contributors this go around.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The only way I would want to keep Killorn is if he takes half of what he gets now. Anywhere between 2-2.25M on a few years contract would be ideal. But I totally see JBB giving him a retirement 4M contract. Because you know those taxes in Florida and everything...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I've never been so content as I am right now. My God. What. A. Ride. We almost had a threepeat guys. A threepeat!! I'm not trying to say "Blow it up after 4 games" but rather, if we REALLY can't even so much as win the routine game come December then it's best to just accept this as a one-off. This year needs to be a rave party okay? No end of the world shit. We have the BEST core in the world. It's just that winning is hard and you gotta surround that core with enough talent to win. The challenge is gonna be to not stagnate like Pittsburgh has. If we're REALLY struggling then sell at the TDL. Find a contender for guys like Perry, Killorn, Bellemare, Cole and ask Bogosian and Maroon if they wanna stick around.

Cap space and a fresh wave of new faces is gonna solve just about every problem this team has right now. We MIGHT suck for a second trying rebuild this monster. We can deal.

It's gonna be okay guys. If we win cheer. If we lose. Cheer. We're gonna figure this out

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've never been so content as I am right now. My God. What. A. Ride. We almost had a threepeat guys. A threepeat!! I'm not trying to say "Blow it up after 4 games" but rather, if we REALLY can't even so much as win the routine game come December then it's best to just accept this as a one-off. This year needs to be a rave party okay? No end of the world shit. We have the BEST core in the world. It's just that winning is hard and you gotta surround that core with enough talent to win. The challenge is gonna be to not stagnate like Pittsburgh has. If we're REALLY struggling then sell at the TDL. Find a contender for guys like Perry, Killorn, Bellemare, Cole and ask Bogosian and Maroon if they wanna stick around.

Cap space and a fresh wave of new faces is gonna solve just about every problem this team has right now. We MIGHT suck for a second trying rebuild this monster. We can deal.

It's gonna be okay guys. If we win cheer. If we lose. Cheer. We're gonna figure this out

If they miss the playoffs they should blow it all up, it doesn't get any easier with the younger teams coming up. When the mentality goes to "lets win a cup" to "lets try and make the playoffs" it's time to restart. However that's not going to be the case, this team will easily make the playoffs even if they have to spend the last 2 months playing in playoff mode.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy

I want to underline this point.
It's ok, of course, if we are not able to reach the Finals every single year. Especially in the USA Sports, where the salary cap is a factor and where the contenders are more than just 1 or 2, a year off could be acceptable.
But your point should be focused.
We have to avoid situation like the Penguins one. A team that is always decent/good, but not good enough to win.
So, "waste" a year...take a year off, to avoid this situation could be really positive.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
every team in the atlantic won lmao. we better win against the panthers or we are already in a huge hole

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
every team in the atlantic won lmao. we better win against the panthers or we are already in a huge hole
Definitely too early to say we are in a hole cause it just takes a nice 10 game stretch of like 8-1-1 to put us back in the top 3 for the division. Buffalo and Montreal wont keep up the hot start to the season, Florida and Boston are the real competition this year for the Division with Detroit and Ottawa likely fighting it out for the final wildcard spot throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad