Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) (Player Discussion ONLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Honestly regardless of how he looks in his first 9 I'd rather have him spend the year in Laval so we can maximize tank efforts. There's a few center prospects better than Wright at the top of the 2023 draft. I know that's "toxic" to some people but icing a bad team is necessary. We're not at the point where we can pivot into relevancy. Too bad Bergy signed a bunch of crap deals last summer so we can't weaponize our non-existent cap space.

If we somehow get Bedard the Slaf pick is going to look smart.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
I thought Rantanen played with nichushkin and burakovsky?

Played with MacKinnon and, believe it or not, our home boy Lekhonen in the playoffs. Earlier in the year the other winger was Nichushkin I believe. Might have been some scrambling around when Kadri missed games.

My point was as much as I like Rantanen, you have to look at who he plays with also. Makar is not too shabby either. We obviously don't have a Mac or Makar for Slaf.

I'm still excited in seeing what Slaf will do with Suzuki and Caufield. Caufield was really happy, according to Suzuki.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
You don't get it all. It's about finding the learner's personality, the one player that can be developed vs. the player that doesn't really want to change.
I know that’s the proper interpretation, just find mine funnier 😉

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Played with MacKinnon and, believe it or not, our home boy Lekhonen in the playoffs. Earlier in the year the other winger was Nichushkin I believe. Might have been some scrambling around when Kadri missed games.

My point was as much as I like Rantanen, you have to look at who he plays with also. Makar is not too shabby either. We obviously don't have a Mac or Makar for Slaf.

I'm still excited in seeing what Slaf will do with Suzuki and Caufield. Caufield was really happy, according to Suzuki.
Yeah we definitely don't have Makar or MacKinnon lol. But we do have a nice young group of guys, so let's see how they grow together!

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I think in the Bergy Era this wouldn't end well. But now that we have an actual development department, hopefully we can feel better about picking "toolsy"/"raw" players and seeing them reach their potential.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I’m so happy! We need to be patience, but i’m confident with HuGo, MSL and Adams nicholas to develop him properly!

Reactions: cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We need to temper our expectations with Slaf.

Patience will also be required.
Patience is absolutely required.

He should spend the better part of this year in Laval honing his skills and adjusting to our system. If he shows exponential growth during that time then maybe bring him up after the trade deadline but a full year would be ideal.

There is absolutely no need to rush this guy and make the same mistake we did with previous prospects.

Reactions: cphabs and Justin11

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
This is the problem with "personality", it's open to interpretation. We heard nothing but good things about Kotkamiemi until he signed an offer sheet, suddenly all this dirt came out. PK Subban's energy and talkative nature was inspiring for the team until he was traded, then he was a distracted locker room cancer unlike the true leader in silent Weber. Weber and Markov we're silent either because they were serious leaders or because they didn't care depending on how they were performing.

Slafkovsky seems like a confident, likable kid. A friend interviewed him after the Olympics and described him as a "chad". All good until he starts performing in the NHL like he did in Finland and suddenly his confidence is arrogance.

These quotes from him are nice but I don't care about how well he or Weight interviewed, let their games do the talking.
I feel the same way. These are kids, if you’re making your selection based on an interview and not their performance you are doing it wrong. I think we picked the wrong guy even if I like Slaf.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Honestly regardless of how he looks in his first 9 I'd rather have him spend the year in Laval so we can maximize tank efforts. There's a few center prospects better than Wright at the top of the 2023 draft. I know that's "toxic" to some people but icing a bad team is necessary. We're not at the point where we can pivot into relevancy. Too bad Bergy signed a bunch of crap deals last summer so we can't weaponize our non-existent cap space.

If we somehow get Bedard the Slaf pick is going to look smart.

Agree. Unless Juraj is just clearly ready for the NHL, like he looks like Brady Tkachuk did right off the bat, he needs to be in the AHL. AHL is already a step up from Liiga, and Juraj had his struggles there, even. He needs to be ''the man'' offensively. It's a crucial part of his development, I wish we could play him for a whole season long WC, because that's what he was getting in that tournament. The conception of himself as the best player on the ice.

If he can do that at the AHL level, that will bode really well for him and us going forward. Let him f*** the AHL up.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I just hope we don't teach him defense. At least not early in his career. He needs to play with his skillset and let him have fun. Please, do not put him on a 3rd line. It's top 6 or AHL. Let him get the taste for scoring. I don't want him to be juggled up and down the lineup either like Chucky and KK. Please keep Therrien away from him.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Agree. Unless Juraj is just clearly ready for the NHL, like he looks like Brady Tkachuk did right off the bat, he needs to be in the AHL. AHL is already a step up from Liiga, and Juraj had his struggles there, even. He needs to be ''the man'' offensively. It's a crucial part of his development, I wish we could play him for a whole season long WC, because that's what he was getting in that tournament. The conception of himself as the best player on the ice.

If he can do that at the AHL level, that will bode really well for him and us going forward. Let him f*** the AHL up.
Id let him f*** Liiga up first and foremost but I agree with you.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
We've drafted this guy to be the billy big bollocks, dominant presence in the other team's end, regardless of which team has the puck.

First line and PP1 in Laval please, let him do his thing and don't try to turn him into a responsible 200-ft player just yet.

How I'd love to see even a poor man's early-years Ovechkin steaming around the rink in our colours.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I just hope we don't teach him defense. At least not early in his career. He needs to play with his skillset and let him have fun. Please, do not put him on a 3rd line. It's top 6 or AHL. Let him get the taste for scoring. I don't want him to be juggled up and down the lineup either like Chucky and KK. Please keep Therrien away from him.
Too late for that, he played in Liiga for one of the most defensive coach...

Reactions: Sagikev and cphabs

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Screenshot_20220709-124436.png

Well this looks like Slaf is in town to stay

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
View attachment 566670

Well this looks like Slaf is in town to stay
I'll admit I was very skeptical of this pick but now I'm totally on board and praying he becomes a war machine for us.

Also praying they don't throw him to the wolves next season...

Have him prove us he belongs vs. Him trying to survive is gonna be really important

Hope he starts in Laval and if he does I'll be going to see him play there for sure

Reactions: Walrus26

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'll admit I was very skeptical of this pick but now I'm totally on board and praying he becomes a war machine for us.

Also praying they don't throw him to the wolves next season...

Have him prove us he belongs vs. Him trying to survive is gonna be really important

Hope he starts in Laval and if he does I'll be going to see him play there for sure
Physically he is more than ready for the NHL, he’s already bigger than 95% of NHL vets.

As long as he can hang with Suzuki and Caufield and he’s producing, there’s no harm in having him in Montreal in my opinion. This isn’t Kotkaniemi who is going to fall down every shift because he’s built like Bambi.

I want to temper expectations, but if he players with Suzuki and Caufield all season I don’t think 45-50pts is out of the question. He is physically dominant.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't think they gonna put him right away with Suzuki and Caufield. The step is huge between Finnish Liiga and NHL, especially for a 18 yo kid. I am scared they gonna burn him like they have done with KK, Galchy and few others. Habs have also the option to sent him down to AHL at any point of the season.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't think they gonna put him right away with Suzuki and Caufield. The step is huge between Finnish Liiga and NHL, especially for a 18 yo kid. I am scared they gonna burn him like they have done with KK, Galchy and few others. Habs have also the option to sent him down to AHL at any point of the season.
They’ll use training camp to evaluate it. If he plays well with them, he starts the season there and they have the ability to send him down to Laval whenever they like.

People are underestimating how physically dominant he will be. Both Kotkaniemi and Gachenyuk had difficulty staying on their feet and Chucky had no physical element to his game at all which hurt his ability to translate to the NHL.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad