Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) (Player Discussion ONLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So that was the idea, I get the pick now.
He’ll mesmerize the opposition so much with his charisma, no one will notice Suz and Cauf scoring boatloads in the background. Nice strategy 👍

You don't get it all. It's about finding the learner's personality, the one player that can be developed vs. the player that doesn't really want to change.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I know you guys are tired of the "played against men" quote but....

If he goes from the Liga to the AHL where the competition is comparable-ish he probably won't have a slow start. There is a good chance that he could be one of the better player in the AHL next year and gain lots of experience and confidence.

Even if you do play him with Caufield and Suzuki do you want him to be a part of a losing atmosphere cause lets be honest, The Habs aren't going to be good next year.

Let him have a good year and Laval then he can walk into development camp with some swagger and drive to play with the Habs next season.
Even if he sticks around with the big club I find it hard to believe that, unless he turns into Jagr overnight, he's going to be playing with Suzuki and Caufield. Those two are going to be the focus of opponents' attention. Putting Slafkovsky out there is pretty much an anti-development strategy.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Quite the difference with KK where he would always questionned the coach. Steph Wait said he was often rolling his eyes after Julien told him something.
To be fair, this kind of evaluations have to be taken with a grain of salt. I distinctly remember Kotkaniemi was supposed to have a great character and a great background. Good family, good opinion among national team members and staff etc. The question is how certain can you really be based on a couple of interviews with a 18 year old kid? Heck, I'm a brilliant hard-worker based on every interwiev I was invited to.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You don't get it all. It's about finding the learner's personality, the one player that can be developed vs. the player that doesn't really want to change.

Slafkovsky does come off as genuine, and as a very well balanced personality. Wright sounds like a tape recording of things his agent told him to say.

Quite the difference with KK where he would always questionned the coach. Steph Wait said he was often rolling his eyes after Julien told him something.

Stephane Waite's a bum ass loser who leaks personal medical details about our players.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'm so curious to see how he does in the training camp. We were told he has it all: IQ, shot, skating, speed, size, awareness, positioning, etc.

Should be electrifying to see him. He will surely dominate the scrimmages, so I wonder if it's even worth thinking he won't start in the NHL next year on the first line and PP1.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Even if he sticks around with the big club I find it hard to believe that, unless he turns into Jagr overnight, he's going to be playing with Suzuki and Caufield. Those two are going to be the focus of opponents' attention. Putting Slafkovsky out there is pretty much an anti-development strategy.

Yeah.

IMO, at minimum, 9 games in NHL, then have him go to AHL for 1 year (monitor him closely though and ensure he is well supported, etc).

Then see how he is the year later.

Similar to what Avs did for Rantanen.

1657364165393.png

Just for comparison, Slaf has one season of Liiga under his belt.. give him time folks. The tools are there and he is trending up now.

1657367207899.png

Last edited:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
There’s zero percent chance that he goes back to the Liiga if I’m in charge. Whatever happened there, it didn’t work out.

JF Houle did one hell of a job in Laval by creating a fiesty team that worked hard and the « right way ». I want Slaf to experience that positive environment. I don’t need him in the NHL on a team that has no D and probably no G either.

Matter of fact, I want Guhle with Laval too. Let these two become the total package and form some team chemistry. 2022/23 Habs are the land of the Dadonovs and Hoffmans Tank assemblers.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Yes he belongs either in Montreal or Laval.
Wouldn’t mind Mesar coming over to the OHL as well to keep a closer eye on them.

What’s going to be interesting is we have WAYYYYY too many forwards right now. Some movement for sure still coming

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Scouts look what "mold" worked from 5-10 years ago and draft eligible players fitting those mold gets increased rankings.

Yes, that is true. They tend to draft a player similar to another player sooner than they should because said player had success. I hope Slaf works out just as well.

And...? Rantanen is easily in the conversation for second best in his class, if you think you get the next one (or even Rantanen-lite) it's easily a 1st overall worthy pick

Hopefully we find a C just as good as MacKinnon to play with our Rantanen - I'm sure most people would agree it plays a part in how effective Rantanen is. And sorry to say, Kirby Dach ain't it. Looking forward in seeing what he'll do with Suzuki down the line,

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
To be fair, this kind of evaluations have to be taken with a grain of salt. I distinctly remember Kotkaniemi was supposed to have a great character and a great background. Good family, good opinion among national team members and staff etc. The question is how certain can you really be based on a couple of interviews with a 18 year old kid? Heck, I'm a brilliant hard-worker based on every interwiev I was invited to.
This is the problem with "personality", it's open to interpretation. We heard nothing but good things about Kotkamiemi until he signed an offer sheet, suddenly all this dirt came out. PK Subban's energy and talkative nature was inspiring for the team until he was traded, then he was a distracted locker room cancer unlike the true leader in silent Weber. Weber and Markov we're silent either because they were serious leaders or because they didn't care depending on how they were performing.

Slafkovsky seems like a confident, likable kid. A friend interviewed him after the Olympics and described him as a "chad". All good until he starts performing in the NHL like he did in Finland and suddenly his confidence is arrogance.

These quotes from him are nice but I don't care about how well he or Weight interviewed, let their games do the talking.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Slafkovsky doesn’t have a toxic family. KK and Chucky were listening way too much their fathers since they were the coach of them. Just like Lambert.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Yes, that is true. They tend to draft a player similar to another player sooner than they should because said player had success. I hope Slaf works out just as well.

Hopefully we find a C just as good as MacKinnon to play with our Rantanen - I'm sure most people would agree it plays a part in how effective Rantanen is. And sorry to say, Kirby Dach ain't it. Looking forward in seeing what he'll do with Suzuki down the line,
I thought Rantanen played with nichushkin and burakovsky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany