Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) (Player Discussion ONLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If anyone has the physical tools to start in the NHL, it's him. But yeah, if he can't cut it after 9 or fewer games, it's to the land of silver chains and modified Civics for him

There's stuff he needs to work on. There's no current playing space in Montreal, and we don't need him killing our cap by making rookie bonuses.

One year in Laval is the best thing for everyone.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
There's stuff he needs to work on. There's no current playing space in Montreal, and we don't need him killing our cap by making rookie bonuses.

One year in Laval is the best thing for everyone.
I've said this before but now I actually looked it up -> do we really want to make him the first forward 1OA pick since Sundin in '89 to not play in the NHL (in the season immediately following his draft)?

Unless he's completely overwhelmed you simply have to keep him in MTL. I think the fanbase would lose it if he was sent down just for financial reasons

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I've said this before but now I actually looked it up -> do we really want to make him the first forward 1OA pick since Sundin in '89 to not play in the NHL (in the season immediately following his draft)?

Unless he's completely overwhelmed you simply have to keep him in MTL. I think the fanbase would lose it if he was sent down just for financial reasons

Fan base is already losing it. It's the same fan base that wanted to keep KK in Montreal when he should have never been in NHL at 18.

The amount of games that Europeans play versus what NHL plays and the level it plays at is the tripping point.

AHL is a good introduction to professional NA hockey. Gets him settled in & gives him time to develop.

All these kids were affected by the pandemic, so none of them should be rushed into NHL. It's a different situation.

All we have to do is look at 2021 draft where none of the top 10 played in NHL, including 1st OA Owen Power, so it's already been done.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If anyone has the physical tools to start in the NHL, it's him. But yeah, if he can't cut it after 9 or fewer games, it's to the land of silver chains and modified Civics for him
That’s so Laval lol

In Ottawa, we have the same thing, we called them (at least in tge 90’s) JoJo Gatineau….dudes with suped up Fiero’s with the false gold chain outside the black turtleneck :laugh:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
look at 2021 draft where none of the top 10 played in NHL, including 1st OA Owen Power, so it's already been done.
I made it a point to specify *forward* 1OA. Yes, it typically takes longer for defensemen to make it so it seems to be more widely accepted, but it just doesn't happen with forwards (at least it hasn't in decades)

But yeah, I guess we can blame it on the pandemic (just like those extra pounds)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Also, Hughes was talking to Slaf's agent in the stands during the late rounds, who is also Price's and Gallagher's agent (Gerry Johannson). Hughes did say they want to sign Slaf to his ELC ASAP. I'm expecting them to announce the contract by the end of development camp.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I knew he looked familiar:

gigachad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad