Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well I don't imagine the organization has the hockey knowledge, as good an understanding of the player, or the resources, you do, but I'm pretty content to believe they will keep in mind what's best for his development when they are making their decisions.
Nice contribution

• Haha
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Also literally everyone is against him going back to the OHL because hes such a "physical specimen".
I just don't care about him dominating junior-aged players just purely for my insecurity about the pick.

A year adapting in the NHL/AHL >>>OHL

For me at least.
(Ignoring the fact that hes super weak right now and that he will have a seamless transition from junior to pro if he goes back from the physical development he will go through, but who cares about logic heheh)
Jake Evans is also weak, so is Jonathan Drouin, so is Mike Hoffman, so is Joel Armia when he's not in his mood, etc.

So what?

Reactions: Pomee

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I just don't care about him dominating junior-aged players just purely for my insecurity about the pick.

For me at least.

Jake Evans is also weak, so is Jonathan Drouin, so is Mike Hoffman, so is Joel Armia when he's not in his mood, etc.

So what?
Except Slafkofsky is not weak, he’s very strong. Is It opposite day or something?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

For me at least.

So what?
Eh, if that is the only thing you think he can learn, sure... lol. Doesnt seem to be reasonable though.

Think of school as an example, why do we even have so many formative years if we all could go straight to work?

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
I'll say OHL is bad, AHL is a viable option imo.
Honesty, I can't see what he would get out of playing in the OHL either. But who knows - maybe stomping a bunch of 150 lb 16 year olds is someones idea of good development.

I hope that "readiness" is not the test the organization is using. I hope it's "where will he develop best". I suspect it will be the A for part of the year and then back to the bigs at some point, but that really depends on his development. He has a lot of tools (kind of like this board) so I can see why he was picked. Hopefullly he hits his ceiling because then he will be pretty special.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Except Slafkofsky is not weak, he’s very strong. Is It opposite day or something?
Wasn't necessarily agreeing with that point, although in @Mrb1p credit, I have noticed the same thing when it comes to his balance and winning one on one battles.

Not that he's weak, but I think he's realizing that NHL player for the most part, no matter the size/height, are much stronger than the competition he's used to facing (another reason why sending him down to the OHL is a step back IMO).

This isn't something that I think he won't adjust too....he's strong for his age, but he's not "grown man strong" if you know what I mean.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Eh, if that is the only thing you think he can learn, sure... lol. Doesnt seem to be reasonable though.

Think of school as an example, why do we even have so many formative years if we all could go straight to work?
Well that's not quite the correct analogy.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're entitled to your opinion and unlike some, I think you've done a good job stating your case and I don't have criticism with it, other than I just don't agree with it.

I think sending him down to the OHL is wasting a year of development.

Imagine the development Kramer got from excelling against weaker opposition eh! To some, he would be the next Bruce Lee :laugh:
I guess you didn't see when those kids got together and cornered him behind the alley?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Slaf's development is not being harmed during this NHL stint, however I do also believe a year in the OHL would be an excellent experience for him. It should be noted that the OHL is absolutely not a boys league (screencap from EliteProspects):

nYgvdha.png

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not that I think Wright is ready, and I had him going back to junior months ago but its pretty dishonest of you to use Hakstol and his 6 minutes to prove that he isnt ready.

Also, Slaf is getting 10 minutes a game, is that somehow being trusted more?

Im seeing that both arent even close to ready and both should be in the OHL. Wright because of his slight build and Slaf because he doesnt knoe wtf to do when he puts on skates.
Why are you so strongly against Slafkovsky? I’ve been reading your posts for years now and respect your opinion. But it seems like you have a vendetta against the kid. We all know he’s not ready. What’s with all the shade you’re throwing at him?

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Wasn't necessarily agreeing with that point, although in @Mrb1p credit, I have noticed the same thing when it comes to his balance and winning one on one battles.

Not that he's weak, but I think he's realizing that NHL player for the most part, no matter the size/height, are much stronger than the competition he's used to facing (another reason why sending him down to the OHL is a step back IMO).

This isn't something that I think he won't adjust too....he's strong for his age, but he's not "grown man strong" if you know what I mean.

I agree with most. Like he’s in an adjustment. But I see something different with respect to strength. I’ve seen him push around men last season and not being pushed around. Posters are just making shit up at this point. Probably a defence mecanism. Shane Wright is super weak therefore Slafkovsky must be super weak. Shane Wright is not ready therefore Slafkovsky must not be ready.

Reactions: Pickles and Pomee

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
Honesty, I can't see what he would get out of playing in the OHL either. But who knows - maybe stomping a bunch of 150 lb 16 year olds is someones idea of good development.

I hope that "readiness" is not the test the organization is using. I hope it's "where will he develop best". I suspect it will be the A for part of the year and then back to the bigs at some point, but that really depends on his development. He has a lot of tools (kind of like this board) so I can see why he was picked. Hopefullly he hits his ceiling because then he will be pretty special.
I’m just going to say this because it seems a lot of our fans are overrating Slafkovsky. There is ZERO guarantee he’ll just go to the OHL and start “stomping” CHL players. I would not be the least bit surprised if he got sent down there that there would be a sense of panic from our fanbase when he doesn’t produce at the rate everyone here thinks he will. He’s a great prospect but to act like he’s above the CHL right now is hilarious.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I've just not been happy with how much ice time and puck touches he's getting, which has to do with both his usage (coaching decisions) and his own play. If he stays with the big club for the full year, I have a hard time believing he gets more than 10 points this year and his production and usage might affect his confidence. This year is more about adjustment and development for him than getting points, but a lot of the adjustment and development is mental work. It can be hard to do that work and stay motivated/disciplined without confidence.

I'll have to trust the coaching staff has him in the best place for now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've just not been happy with how much ice time and puck touches he's getting, which has to do with both his usage (coaching decisions) and his own play. If he stays with the big club for the full year, I have a hard time believing he gets more than 10 points this year and his production and usage might affect his confidence. This year is more about adjustment and development for him than getting points, but a lot of the adjustment and development is mental work. It can be hard to do that work and stay motivated/disciplined without confidence.

I'll have to trust the coaching staff has him in the best place for now.
Personally, it’s not so much that I think he would dominate, I’m just not convinced there’s anything to gain by sending him there, and conversely, I think there’s potentially more to lose if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad