Speculation: 2021 Salary Cap Crunch & Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
How to keep the 3rd line advantage intact with the understanding that Coleman is gone? Someone a few days ago suggested Colton slides into Coleman's spot and that makes a lot of sense. Resigning Goodrow is the key. Then a 4th line of Stephens, Maroon, and Joseph is kinda intriguing. Maroon and Stephens had great chemistry before Mitch got hurt.

--- Point, Kucherov
Stamkos, Cirelli,---
Goodrow, Gourde, Colton
Maroon, Stephens, Joseph

Hedman, Rutta
McD, Cernak
Sergachev, Foote

Vasy

Out- Palat, Johnson, and Killorn saves almost 15 million.

I'm not sold on ABB and wouldn't pencil him onto the top line. In fact, I think it would be ideal to be shopping that spot to a veteran chasing a shot at winning the Stanley Cup. Perry would be perfect for the Cirelli line to replace Killorn, I've never seen a better case of, if you can't beat them join them.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Keeping Rutta around at this point is complacency. I'd really rather not see JBB try to keep this team together with super glue and duct tape just to lose in the 2nd round year after year while we trade every draft pick and prospect who could potentially help us for yet ANOTHER right pairing defender because Rutta on his own is not enough.

We're gonna lose a lot of guys. Just accept it, bite the bullet and get new ones by selling high and drafting well.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How to keep the 3rd line advantage intact with the understanding that Coleman is gone? Someone a few days ago suggested Colton slides into Coleman's spot and that makes a lot of sense. Resigning Goodrow is the key. Then a 4th line of Stephens, Maroon, and Joseph is kinda intriguing. Maroon and Stephens had great chemistry before Mitch got hurt.

--- Point, Kucherov
Stamkos, Cirelli,---
Goodrow, Gourde, Colton
Maroon, Stephens, Joseph

Hedman, Rutta
McD, Cernak
Sergachev, Foote

Vasy

I'm not sold on ABB and wouldn't pencil him onto the top line. In fact, I think it would be ideal to be shopping that spot to a veteran chasing a shot at winning the Stanley Cup. Perry would be perfect for the Cirelli line to replace Killorn, I've never seen a better case of, if you can't beat them join them.
Hossa. Traded to the Pens in 07-08. Loses to Detroit in the SCF. Signs in Detroit the next year. Loses to Pens in SCF. Signs in Chicago, finally wins it.

I would have been on board for getting Perry after the 2019 sweep, but he's 36 now. Guys like Sutter, Athanasiou, Brassard, Glendening, etc. are becoming UFA.

I'm really against getting rid of Palat, he does so much of the dirty work for the first line
That's an interesting point. We don't know if Palat was playing injured either. It would make sense, though. He's played very well over the last year, for it to just drop out in these playoffs.

Reactions: SnakeIdol

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Rutta's 1-whatever mil could really make a difference. I don't see him sticking around when you could have someone fill that role for about half the price.

If we go 4-4 it gives Seattle some nice options, but it's basically Killorn/Gourde/Palat vs Johnson plus whatever JBB wants to sweeten the pot with. I guess Colton or Joseph could be of interest, but if I were Seattle I'd want one of those first three.

It basically comes down to:

What can we add to Johnson to make it more enticing than Killorn, Gourde or Palat by themselves?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Killorn: will teams want him now with his broken fibula?
Palat: one year left, easily moveable, imo. Not enough term for Seattle, but a good pickup for playoff teams
Johnson: Two years, had quite the playoff run, most likely will still need a sweetener attached

The hard ones
McDonagh: 32 years old, big part of this team. If Heddy misses some time next year losing McD would leave us wrecked on D. His game should age well (depending on injuries), but he still has 5 years left at 6.75
Gourde: We're losing that important 3rd line that provided us so much energy and clutch scoring. With Gourde you could at least keep his energy into the top 6 or have him anchor a new 3rd line with Colton and Joesph or a cheaply signed Goodrow.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

--- Point, Kucherov
Stamkos, Cirelli,---
Goodrow, Gourde, Colton
Maroon, Stephens, Joseph

Hedman, Rutta
McD, Cernak
Sergachev, Foote

Vasy

This lineup is ideal

Give Joesph a shot in the top 6, or throw ABB or Raddysh up there for a shot. Or put Stammer on the first again. That 3rd line would be great and is my ideal 3rd line for next season knowing Coleman is gone and Goodrow can possibly be kept for cheap

We may even be able to acquire some other vets on min deals, preferably on RD

We will need a better backup though to give Vasi some much needed rest

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
I don't want to think about this. I love all our guys. This team is perfect. If we have to move Gourde please for the love of everything send him out West. I don't want to see that guy in another uniform and cry.

Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Would be a big blow to lose Gourde. He's Point-light, he scores, passes, can play all positions in all situations. Palat, Coleman and Johnson are gone first or we'll have some hard decisions to make. I'd rather keep Killer too. No matter what, it's time for Colton and Joseph to shine. Good kids.

Edit : **** I forgot Coleman is UFA

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I feel like as long as we have Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasi, and McDonagh we can build around those guys and have a decent shot.
I think McDonagh**(EDIT) and Gourde are two important guys that aren't apart of the core tier. You could maybe put Serg and Cernak and Cirelli in the tier below them. Guys who we have at least locked up who make our team better, but with our main core we can be competitive. Playoffs rely on depth though with usual top guys being shut down at points throughout.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Hedman and Gourde are two important guys that aren't apart of the core tier. You could maybe put Serg and Cernak and Cirelli in the tier below them. Guys who we have at least locked up who make our team better, but with our main core we can be competitive. Playoffs rely on depth though with usual top guys being shut down at points throughout.

Yea I think it wouldn't be too much to say to add Gourde/Cirelli and possibly one or both of Cernak/Serg to that core. If you keep those guys to the top players you can build a great team because of that depth down the middle and top 4 d. Then obviously Vasi and the teams structure/culture makes up the rest.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I feel like as long as we have Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasi, and McDonagh we can build around those guys and have a decent shot.

That's about where I'm at although, I'd add Cernak to the list. Anyone else would really, REALLY suck to lose but we'd move on and regroup. Easy to forget that we turned over our entire ECF roster under Boucher except for Stamkos, Hedman and St. Louis by Jon Cooper's first full season as coach. This is twice as many guys and it's reasonable to think we can contend again in about that same amount of time

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He would never waive, but Stamkos to Seattle, that would help us a lot cap-wise right ? Sorry need to catch up, I didn't really want to pay attention to this during the season.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
yeah it would help but Stammer is going nowhere.

I think Joseph could fill Coleman's spot. Obviously not same skill level and scoring touch but the rest he can do too

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
He would never waive, but Stamkos to Seattle, that would help us a lot cap-wise right ? Sorry need to catch up, I didn't really want to pay attention to this during the season.

I mean, we're about $5M over the cap with only 19m players under contract. If Stamkos waived, that's $8.5M. Move Johnson and his $5M, and now we have room to work with. But that's a ton of leadership that suddenly needs replacing, to say the least.

Reactions: Volodya Krutov

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This was a good video explaining our cap situation and possibilities. We aren't as screwed as I initially thought, but moves obviously need to be made.

Last year we were worse off for sure because we had to sign Sergachev, cirell and Cernak. This year none of our RFA’s will cost that much

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

--- Point, Kucherov
Stamkos, Cirelli,---
Goodrow, Gourde, Colton
Maroon, Stephens, Joseph

Hedman, Rutta
McD, Cernak
Sergachev, Foote

Vasy

I’d keep palat move out Killorn and johnson

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I think Joseph could fill Coleman's spot. Obviously not same skill level and scoring touch but the rest he can do too

Was going to post this in regards to the 3rd line. Joseph scored 12 goals this season and Coleman had 14. Coleman had more assists but Joseph is a decent enough goal scorer to fill that void, he scored 13 his rookie year as well. He's fast and hits on the forecheck, he's not as strong in the defensive zone as Coleman and not as strong in the cycle game. But Coleman will probably cost 3M+ more than what Joseph will next season. Offensively he's better than Goodrow so if we lose him Joseph can make that line a little more offensive but they won't be a shutdown line any longer.

You can always throw Killorn - Cirelli - Gourde together for the shutdown line. Put x - Colton - Stamkos as the other scoring line. That x could be several players depending on what moves we make at the ED and draft. Could give Barre-Boulet a look, Joseph or even a Raddysh or Katchouk.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

A 3rd line of either

Goodrow - Gourde - Colton

OR

Joesph - Gourde - Colton

Would be great

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This was a good video explaining our cap situation and possibilities. We aren't as screwed as I initially thought, but moves obviously need to be made.

I think he's off thinking we won't protect McDonagh and told him as much. I think he's a great youtube creator btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad