2021 QMJHL Draft

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I like your comparison between Collard and Carruthers. Time will tell but Carruthers heavy feet are not fit for the game as it's played in these days. Especially in the Show.

Collard is a more well rounded player with a lot of intangibles. His offense likely isn't anywhere near the other guys picked in the top range of the draft. He could be a less offensively gifted Nicolas Roy type of player.

He was picked high, but he was a local pick, and a safe pick with a lot of attributes you want to bring on your team.

I don't think Carruthers' game is anywhere near as complete. If anything, Carruthers is a pure goal scorer whose goal scoring hasn't translated yet.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Carruthers played as a man among kids. As soon as that advantage went away it's a big challenge for players that develop so early like he did. Hopefully he finds his spot as a role player and continues his career.

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Carruthers played as a man among kids. As soon as that advantage went away it's a big challenge for players that develop so early like he did. Hopefully he finds his spot as a role player and continues his career.
You see it more and more, the physically mature guys in Bantam dominate, then struggle when everyone is as big and as fast. Let's hope he continues to work on his game and grows to be a more complete player...he is only 17 after all.
Beware of the smaller skilled guys who grow later!

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
You see it more and more, the physically mature guys in Bantam dominate, then struggle when everyone is as big and as fast. Let's hope he continues to work on his game and grows to be a more complete player...he is only 17 after all.
Beware of the smaller skilled guys who grow later!

Hope so for Rouyn :

RD_1, #19, 2021
RD_2, #29, 2021
RD_2, 2022
RD_3, 2023

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Hope so for Rouyn :

RD_1, #19, 2021
RD_2, #29, 2021
RD_2, 2022
RD_3, 2023

Crazy price to pay. Had Carruthers 26th on my list in his draft year, absolutely insane return, especially after a relatively weak 16 years old season.

I do think he'll find a way to become a second line winger eventually in the league, but he may spend a season or two in the bottom 6 before that happens.

Reactions: Prospect Tracker

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
The Kensington Wild U18 had two strong games this past weekend against SJ Vitos and the Freddy Caps. A 5-2 loss against SJ with a empty net goal and a road 7-5 win against the Caps. The team must be adjusting or buying in to their Coaches game plan and with over a dozen first year players there will be many growing pains to overcome. I can't figure what else has changed in the dynamics with this team to have such a turn around from losing by 10 to winning a game by 2. Great coaching job by Jason Gallant for sure .

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
The Kensington Wild U18 had two strong games this past weekend against SJ Vitos and the Freddy Caps. A 5-2 loss against SJ with a empty net goal and a road 7-5 win against the Caps. The team must be adjusting or buying in to their Coaches game plan and with over a dozen first year players there will be many growing pains to overcome. I can't figure what else has changed in the dynamics with this team to have such a turn around from losing by 10 to winning a game by 2. Great coaching job by Jason Gallant for sure .
I just checked the box scores for the 2 games. 100+ shots against on the weekend.. not sure the Coach has everything figured out just yet.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I just checked the box scores for the 2 games. 100+ shots against on the weekend.. not sure the Coach has everything figured out just yet.
The two goalies split the games I see. On an average period of 10/11 shots the extra 5-6 do and can make the difference on the score board but it didn't show last weekend. At least they have some reason to celebrate on this young team.

Last edited:

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Based on what I have watched so far this season "top 2005" PEI prospects seem to be average against stronger mainland opponents. It seems evident they benefited in the draft because of being able to play on PEI last season. Knights, Mount, and Wild did a very good job promoting their players and elevating their stock.

Reactions: Lap2000 and archie

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Based on what I have watched so far this season "top 2005" PEI prospects seem to be average against stronger mainland opponents. It seems evident they benefited in the draft because of being able to play on PEI last season. Knights, Mount, and Wild did a very good job promoting their players and elevating their stock.

I have the same opinion and was guilty of this last year. Even those that went to the states are under impressing this year. Mount is doing its job though in creating the opportunity.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Would agree that some of them have been a bit slow to start the year.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Q Teams now have their final rosters on-line, at total of 26 2005 born players cracked line-ups around the league.
19- F
7 - D
0- G
A total of 4 Teams have ZERO 05's.
Halifax lead with 4
BC , DRU , RIM all have 3

9 Atlantic players
Ryan, Henderson, Squires, Peddle, Rotondi, Crosby, MacKinnon, Coughlin, Gendron
3 -NS
3-NB
2-PEI
1- NL

Wondering if any of the 2005's prospects will make the jump to the QMJHL after the Christmas trade period... there are several who are getting in multiple games with their respective teams.
Nathan Ethier (SHA) , Alexis Bourque (BLB) , Alex Blais (RIM) Sam Luca Thifault (SHE)....to name a few.

What's the limit 10 games ?

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
Wondering if any of the 2005's prospects will make the jump to the QMJHL after the Christmas trade period... there are several who are getting in multiple games with their respective teams.
Nathan Ethier (SHA) , Alexis Bourque (BLB) , Alex Blais (RIM) Sam Luca Thifault (SHE)....to name a few.

What's the limit 10 games ?

lucas-thifault already on the roster, got injured early in the season

limit is 10 game, but games played when a player is called up by Hockey Canada (U17, junior team) don’t count

now to bet on who can graduate, we need to see who will be a seller during the trade period. teams you mentioned, SHA & RIM, still unclear to me what they will do. If they do sell, it will probably create some space

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
I would expect another 6-8 draft picks who had good camps and strong starts to the season join Q teams after the trade period. The bottom teams who sell assets will want to get a few guys a head start heading into next season.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
For the players that are still playing Midget, the ones I could see moving up are Xavier Daigle and Luke Patterson who belong to Cape Breton, if they sell a few players since they are in last place.

Nathan Ethier is probably very likely at Shawinigan. I think it's likely that high picks Mercier, Goyette, Elie and Grenier stay in Midget, but would not be surprised if they're called up. Alexis Bourque is a possibility, especially since he isn't used that much even in Midget AAA, I would think that BLB will want to move him from there. Not from this draft class but I could see Akkouche or Olivier Houde being called up for 17 year olds, especially considering the teams they belong to.

I think Alexandre Blais will finish the season in Rimouski as well.

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
For the players that are still playing Midget, the ones I could see moving up are Xavier Daigle and Luke Patterson who belong to Cape Breton, if they sell a few players since they are in last place.

Nathan Ethier is probably very likely at Shawinigan. I think it's likely that high picks Mercier, Goyette, Elie and Grenier stay in Midget, but would not be surprised if they're called up. Alexis Bourque is a possibility, especially since he isn't used that much even in Midget AAA, I would think that BLB will want to move him from there. Not from this draft class but I could see Akkouche or Olivier Houde being called up for 17 year olds, especially considering the teams they belong to.

I think Alexandre Blais will finish the season in Rimouski as well.

When you talk about the high picks not likely to graduate, in your opinion, is it because of their play/ maturity in U18 or because of the team they belong to (SNB for Elie & Grenier for instance)?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
When you talk about the high picks not likely to graduate, in your opinion, is it because of their play/ maturity in U18 or because of the team they belong to (SNB for Elie & Grenier for instance)?
As Wintersun said, this is all about the Team and the position they are in the league. ST John (Mem cup hosts) will likely be looking to add players at Xmas, but it will be for the cup run, not to develop their prospects.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Yeah, it is mostly situational. I do like Grenier, Elie, Goyette and the others very much as prospects, but I don't know that their teams will want to add 16 year olds to finish the year. I think Mercier is possibly going to be called up, I don't know.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Sentner suspended again, this time for 15 games? 10-0 loss last night, this team does have some solid 06's but realistically is in for a long season.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Hockey PEI has lost touch with the game of hockey and should be given a suspension themselves for their action not taken. When a fight between two willing players results in a player getting 15 game suspension is heavy handed as fighting does happen from time to time in a contact sport and they will never get rid of that action taken by players playing the game. Now, when a player is witnessed of RACIAL SULRs are only giving 2 game suspension is not heavy enough to stop this environment to continue. I can't believe a tussle between two players carries a penalty of 7 to 8 times heavier than a Racial Surls in the game of hockey. Time to turn the page. Racism has been brought to light in resent months on the Island but it may take years for HPEI catch up to the news with the core members they have in place now. A change in personnel in my mind is a must.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Hockey PEI has lost touch with the game of hockey and should be given a suspension themselves for their action not taken. When a fight between two willing players results in a player getting 15 game suspension is heavy handed as fighting does happen from time to time in a contact sport and they will never get rid of that action taken by players playing the game. Now, when a player is witnessed of RACIAL SULRs are only giving 2 game suspension is not heavy enough to stop this environment to continue. I can't believe a tussle between two players carries a penalty of 7 to 8 times heavier than a Racial Surls in the game of hockey. Time to turn the page. Racism has been brought to light in resent months on the Island but it may take years for HPEI catch up to the news with the core members they have in place now. A change in personnel in my mind is a must.
The racial slurs were not handled appropriately IMO, the 15 game suspension on the other hand was handled as it should have been and is a unique situation on its own. Rules are rules, you can't fight in minor hockey and when you try to fight game after game after game, they will eventually throw the book at you. You see there was a time when Max stepped on the ice and the 5'3" U15 player was intimidated, those days are long gone and he is still trying to play the sane role in U18 at 155 lbs, no one backs away anymore. There is a hockey player in there somewhere, not sure we will ever get to see the true potential.

Reactions: Lap2000

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
Players 05 that graduated:

Goyette
Ethier
Mercier

I heard Bourque, but cannot confirm

Missing anybody?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Players 05 that graduated:

Goyette
Ethier
Mercier

I heard Bourque, but cannot confirm

Missing anybody?
Bowness with the Isles, he was called up in November.

Yes Bourque will be playing in the Q for the 2nd half. Wener was reassigned by Quebec to U18, Allen and Cam Henderson have both been re-assigned to Jr. A.

So the # increased by 2 from the start of the season.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
The racial slurs were not handled appropriately IMO, the 15 game suspension on the other hand was handled as it should have been and is a unique situation on its own. Rules are rules, you can't fight in minor hockey and when you try to fight game after game after game, they will eventually throw the book at you. You see there was a time when Max stepped on the ice and the 5'3" U15 player was intimidated, those days are long gone and he is still trying to play the sane role in U18 at 155 lbs, no one backs away anymore. There is a hockey player in there somewhere, not sure we will ever get to see the true potential.
Yes, no fighting allowed in Minor Hockey that's made very clear in Sentner's suspension but with HPEI decision on the Racial Surls, it puts it as more acceptable to do so than a hockey scrap. Which bewilders many of us that follows the game and how it progresses over the years. But, the video I watched was short and has Sentner skating away and didn't want to fight (what it looked like) when the opposing player cross checked him high across his back/neck and drove him face first into the ice. He got up and there was a 10 second fight after that, Sentner did get the better and may have embarrassed him a little as the big defenseman from Northern Moose took a while to get up. I've seen him body check and he hits hard but I think he punches harder. But I think your missing my point, that is Racial Surls that scars players emotionally so much that some quit early or don't play at all because of the potential of the Racial Remarks towards them. Hockey's govern bodies should be more sensitive to those actions on the ice than a tussle. No matter who was involved in the fight. I only used Sentner as it was in a earlier statement by you or ATLHOCKEY of his suspension and I also knew of this. If Racial comments are the worst thing in Hockey today then the punishment should also be the harshest, one would think, maybe it's not to some, but I think it is IMO. I think the some are in HPEI right now from their punishment giving to the guilty party. Hockey Canada will have to re-instate our old President, Rob Newson, to straighten things out before Cameron and staff make all proud Islanders look bad...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad