2021 QMJHL Draft

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Are the Island U18 teams already picked? I haven’t seen them posted anywhere. If not they should still have lots of guys kicking around.​

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I think Mount represented well at the draft last year, didn't they? Even with the COVID restrictions.
Different year this year. US border will be shut down again this winter and Quebec hasn't made progress getting the COV'd under control. While the Maritime bubble will work well into February, with those teams playing they will not be playing exhibition games with the Mount. For a player that doesn't have the reputation of high end talent from past years, like the 8 players last year on the team, he is just figuring out his strengths now and without the much needed actual playing time he will be going backwards. Just an educated guess....

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Different year this year. US border will be shut down again this winter and Quebec hasn't made progress getting the COV'd under control. While the Maritime bubble will work well into February, with those teams playing they will not be playing exhibition games with the Mount. For a player that doesn't have the reputation of high end talent from past years, like the 8 players last year on the team, he is just figuring out his strengths now and without the much needed actual playing time he will be going backwards. Just an educated guess....
Not sure of the situation at the Mount! However I would surmise they operate on the same principle as other private schools, a combination of education, developing character, and in whatever sport improving the students skill set! We can put whatever spin on it we wish, however at the end of the day you can best skates on the ice to improve a hockey players skill set coupled with qualified instructors. yes games are important for development as well however it takes a combination of the two! Above all a players attitude will define his altitude mindset plays a big part in development! So there are positives to both approaches.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I am familiar with S. Bowness progress over the last couple of years. Big jump this year for him with the Islanders and he deserves all credit. Now this young man plays with an aggressive edge that big clubs love so practicing in small groups of friends and learning to wear sweaters and school colors properly is great for chess players but for Sam, well, he is not good at chess. I do hope he gets competitive play somewhere this coming 2022 year. I hate giving a bad prediction but IF this season doesn't go all year long at the Mount then he will be off the game experience for 8 months before another tryout at Major Junior. School is to make money and owners of it will say anything to get talent or $$. Put it this way, how many returned to this school program if it's so good after their first initial year last year, not many I suspect of the 05 group. The rest went to other school teams in the US or to Major Midget teams so that tells me that they did not like the experience and moved laterally somewhere other than there. A hockey game among friends is just time well wasted in my mind...No actual development can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prospect Tracker

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I am familiar with S. Bowness progress over the last couple of years. Big jump this year for him with the Islanders and he deserves all credit. Now this young man plays with an aggressive edge that big clubs love so practicing in small groups of friends and learning to wear sweaters and school colors properly is great for chess players but for Sam, well, he is not good at chess. I do hope he gets competitive play somewhere this coming 2022 year. I hate giving a bad prediction but IF this season doesn't go all year long at the Mount then he will be off the game experience for 8 months before another tryout at Major Junior. School is to make money and owners of it will say anything to get talent or $$. Put it this way, how many returned to this school program if it's so good after their first initial year last year, not many I suspect of the 05 group. The rest went to other school teams in the US or to Major Midget teams so that tells me that they did not like the experience and moved laterally somewhere other than there. A hockey game among friends is just time well wasted in my mind...No actual development can happen.

The Mount is a "for profit" institution...never more apparent in their attempt to put 2 U18 programs on the ice this winter. The sales team they have over there is 2nd to none! The education component is one aspect...but all parents want to hear is how many draft pics they produce. Last year was a "one of" and I will be very surprised if the U17 programs produces draft pic #'s like that anytime soon.
Looking at the u18 rosters...they have several players who have dressed for QMJHL games and are no long eligible for NCAA , so playing prep in hopes of being seen is now off the table...so are they there for the schooling?
Development...they were handed 15 kids last year who were getting drafted regardless of where they played...U18 teams in Atlantic are doing very well at developing talent at a fraction of the $$$.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
I don't know about chess but I would expect there are some very good chess players at the Mount" I think the Mount seems to be doing a good job in player development if you look at the draft numbers" It might not be the answer for all, because each player has different requirements! There is simply no substitute for skates on the ice. Everyone develops in a slightly different manner! Just on the surface it appears the school is a credit to the Island.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I don't know about chess but I would expect there are some very good chess players at the Mount" I think the Mount seems to be doing a good job in player development if you look at the draft numbers" It might not be the answer for all, because each player has different requirements! There is simply no substitute for skates on the ice. Everyone develops in a slightly different manner! Just on the surface it appears the school is a credit to the Island.
HKYEAST, said it best with the note of the players the Mount received from Minor Hockey that has Developed from the past 10-11 years of progress with each individual player. Mount hockey did not Develop any of the drafted players, Minor Hockey coaches gave them the tools and mindset, they need the pat on the back not the Mount, they are no Saints. They are just a parasite, a company that is feeding off another associations success and getting fat from it.

Last edited:

archie

Apr 5, 2018
HKYEAST, said it best with the note of the players the Mount received from Minor Hockey that has Developed from the past 10-11 years of progress with each individual player. Mount hockey did not Develop any of the drafted players, Minor Hockey coaches gave them the tools and mindset, they need the pat on the back not the Mount, they are no Saints. They are just a parasite, a company that is feeding off another associations success and getting fat from it.
I agree it is a tough business, I'm not promoting or defending the Mount it is only one of maybe 25 prep schools in the country! It was too rich for me so none of ours got to go that route, however for those that choose that road they might as well leave there money on the Island If our crew get to go the Andrews for a week that was a bonus! I totally agree with you on the contribution of minor hockey coaches, they are most times the unsung hero's of player development, however there are different levels of development, where credit is received I guess its a question of everyone doing their part! I think sometimes we all forget it is a sport where maybe 1% of all that play will ever get a pay cheque! It is all the active volunteers within the sport, that truly make it Canada's game!

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I would of expected to see those players get drafted with there own province behind them, as they actually developed each drafted player, instead of the way the PEI Mount Coaching staff taking all the credit that they did it all, but instead of NB-NS-NFLD associations not mentioned. Sad really, now I hear Hockey PEI offered the job to the head Mount coach (Olivia) to Coach our U13 - U15 PEI BEST players for the Atlantic Tournament that plays this fall. Better Minor Hockey Coaches on PEI in my mind that is more deserving. In short time the Mount will take those great players out of our Minor Hockey association, meanwhile, our Rep teams will get weaker and weaker. Everyone that has one hockey brain cell knows one talented player will make the difference of that team to be competitive or loose every game. Hockey PEI staff in all their wisdom will be scratching their heads wondering why our teams can't compete. Well they opened the door and rolled out the red carpet to loose their best players so they better not complain when they don't have enough talent players for Rep teams as Olivia poaches the best for his team. Hockey PEI were never loaded with great staff but this bunch in there now are so unaware of what they are doing and the way they get caught in the HYPE that actually hurts themselves and Hockey Associations on PEI that they are suppose to protect. Hockey PEI you get my vote for the "BONEHEAD AWARD". HPEI better get a fresh load of Release forms and save one for yourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJHKY

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Olivier is head coach of PEI U16 HPP(Just for 2006 year born player). No games plan is announced so far.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Olivier is head coach of PEI U16 HPP(Just for 2006 year born player). No games plan is announced so far.
That's just in the Olivia's wheel house for the poaching to start. Hold on tight PEI, it's about to start.

Reactions: TJHKY

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
That's just in the Olivia's wheel house for the poaching to start. Hold on tight PEI, it's about to start.
Yes, looks like your thoughts will come true for some days. Crazy parents want to invest more money on prep school as they think prep school is much better than local clubs. Also Mount is much cheaper than other school in Canada. Less money, more outcome. Let us see in 2-3 years.

Reactions: HkyTalk

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
I much prefer to read about players instead of parents whining about this program or that program. Seems like a PEI content page, maybe create another thread for that so you can complain to each other. People make decisions for many different reasons so maybe you should respect parents and players decisions and move on. No impact to you or your kid. At the end of the day the player will determine where they land

Reactions: HKY99 and archie

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I much prefer to read about players instead of parents whining about this program or that program. Seems like a PEI content page, maybe create another thread for that so you can complain to each other. People make decisions for many different reasons so maybe you should respect parents and players decisions and move on. No impact to you or your kid. At the end of the day the player will determine where they land[/QUOTE
Hockey forums take in all hockey aspects. The last few comments is not for you, I understand, so add something to change the topic or are you doing some whining yourself?? LOL

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I much prefer to read about players instead of parents whining about this program or that program. Seems like a PEI content page, maybe create another thread for that so you can complain to each other. People make decisions for many different reasons so maybe you should respect parents and players decisions and move on. No impact to you or your kid. At the end of the day the player will determine where they land

Hockey forums take in all hockey aspects. The last few comments is not for you, I understand, so add something to change the topic or are you doing some whining yourself?? LOL

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
No major surprises in Nova Scotia opening weekend but very little information on results from the NB/PEI Jamboree in Moncton. Any updates or early predictions?

SWNBhockey

Apr 22, 2021
Vitos went 3-1 I know and released 10 players last night to the new Minor team, 23 left remaining I believe.

Last edited:

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
No major surprises in Nova Scotia opening weekend but very little information on results from the NB/PEI Jamboree in Moncton. Any updates or early predictions?
U18 Fredericton Caps live stream few games on Facebook. You can have a look the games.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Here are some games results:
Saint John 4:2 won Fredericton
Saint John 1:4 lose Moncton
Saint John 8:2 won Charlottetown
Saint John 4:2 won Kensington
North 1:4 lose Moncton
North 3:2 won Kensington
Kensington 2:1 won Fredericton
Charlottetown won Fredericton
Do not know the results: