Speculation: 2021 Offseason Thread - Back To Back Champs Edition

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Lol at these guys throwing the Cup off the top of St. Basil's Cathedral after the threepeat

You joke but you also don't joke. These guys just needed to learn how to finish the deal in the playoffs. Winning games and series by themselves was never the issue. They won 36 playoff games across three playoff appearances in 2015-'18. They couldn't finish late in the playoffs but they weren't the Leafs who are 11-15 since 2018 and 0-7 in potential clinching games. They just needed that final push to get them over the top. Now that they know how to get there, even with some of the subtractions this offseason...the closer we get opening night, the more I'm feeling another Cup run this year. I know it's on the heels of a lot of high-intensity hockey since August of last year, but I have every bit of faith that they know how to pace themselves and they'll be able to shift into high gear when the time calls for it. October-December is just about keeping their heads above water. January is when the games will really begin to matter.

I'm fully ready for two more championship parades in Tampa next year.

(But, in all seriousness, who would you say is better than us right now? I know we had some subtractions this off-season, but it's not like the Avs improved their roster externally. I'm not even sure the Islanders really have. And we've beaten the Islanders twice already, so if we get that far and face them again, I won't really be too worried. Yes, they could win, but they're the ones who need to prove it, not the other way around.)

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah that's the thing that gives me the most optimism is that nobody else really improved much if at all. A lot of weird and dumb horizontal moves this offseason.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think this year proved to me they know what they have to do to get it because I had my doubts about a repeat. They might not have it in them with a 3peat but I haven't ruled it out either. I would normally say it just isn't likely but they have a lot left in them. Maybe not this year but think we will see another deep run with this team at some point near or a few years down the line.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Yeah that's the thing that gives me the most optimism is that nobody else really improved much if at all. A lot of weird and dumb horizontal moves this offseason.

In the East, in a playoff setting, I honestly think our biggest threats are Florida and Pittsburgh, both contingent on the quality of their goaltending. Florida gave us all kinds of problems last year, they've added Reinhart, figure to have Ekblad next time, and aren't afraid at all of playing against us. Also a 3x Cup champion head coach on the bench. Pittsburgh, well, not much needs to be said as long as Crosby and Malkin are still firing. If their injuries cause them to have a slip in production, potentially even make it difficult to make the playoffs at all from their division, then I guess we can forget them then. The Cup experience in their lineup is still something I think demands a good deal of respect if they make it into the field. I would always include the Capitals in these discussions before - and the fact that I'm about to say what I'm going to say exponentially increases the risk that I'm going to regret this before the end of the season - but they look like their best days are behind them by now. I suppose the odds are that, if we face them, it would be in the Conference Finals, so if they make it that far then maybe that obituary is being written too soon.

Goaltending in both cases. If Spencer Knight is ready to take the next step forward, and/or if anybody in Pittsburgh proves competence and reliability. Those are the two teams from the East I think are best capable of beating us. I'm not trying to diss the Islanders at all, but when I see the Islanders, I see a team who's scored 23 goals in 13 playoff games against us. That's not even an average of two goals per game. On top of our game, they can't beat us. They need to be perfect if they're going to win four times out of seven (or less). The other two have higher skill levels (IMO, anyway), giving them more margin for error in any given game. Those teams can win because one of their stars can be dominating on any given night and basically win the game themselves. The Islanders can't do that. Their five playoff wins against us the last two years were either one goal wins, or 1 + ENG. There have been four games decided by 2+ goals, and the Lightning won all of them. I understand why people rate the Islanders highly, and it's not undeserved. I guess I just can't bring myself to "fear" them after this time. They beat the Penguins because Jarry couldn't stop a beach ball. They beat the Bruins in part because Rask was playing injured. They took advantage, it's not their fault, but when they faced a healthy and good goaltender, look what happened? As long as 2019 playoffs Vasi never shows up again, I'll like our chances.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
What time is puck drop? We can never have too much winning sports teams in our area on TV.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Since I'm still in the penalty box, I must say it is fun trolling the Rangers, Oiler and other writers and fans on the website with the initials of "BS."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

image.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad