Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
2021 Draft Profile:

LW Matthew Knies, Tri-City USHL

This is a very intriguing power forward prospect for Devils fans to know. Knies is 6'3-205 with pretty good skating ability and an uncommonly good set of hands for a kid with so much natural power. He's the "if he can improve a few things, he can become very good" type of prospect normally found in the 2nd/3rd rounds. For instance, his skating. Knies can work up pretty good top speeds but he has problems with acceleration and balance. He's an athletic enough kid that his skating can potentially round into a plus tool, especially considering his size. He's headed to the University of Minnesota in the fall, where he has a lot of room to grow in an excellent athletic program.

Knies plays a smart and aware game with some pretty nifty passing ability Unlike most kids in power-forward bodies, I'd say he's a pass-first player. But he knows his strength and is willing and able to drive to the net. Knies is tough to beat in the dirty areas and brings the same level of competitiveness to the defensive side of his game. His smarts and ability to read the play are good enough that Tri-City often uses him on the PK, as well as the "go-to-the-net-guy" on the PP.

Again, this is a player whose warts are manageable and fixable. He's a Phoenix, AZ native and did not start playing with high-level coaching, teammates and opposition until 2019. This is what makes him scream out "draft sleeper" to me. You're looking at a kid with tremendous natural ability and, given three years to iron the kinks out at the U. of Minnesota, could really turn into a nice power forward for your middle-6. He's a kid who may have more offensive potential than most people realize, especially if he can tweak a couple of bugs in his skating technique which may be holding him back. Like I said -- he's actually a good skater once he gets going. It's getting going which can be improved, as well as the edge-work.

Knies is a player I would be paying attention to as easrly as the second round, where the Devils are likely to be picking in the 50s with the Islanders pick. With his size, smarts and hands Knees could be gone far earlier. But were he to fall to the 3rd round, I feel Knies would be a potential steal from here on out. The Devils sorely need some power forwards in the system, and Matthew Knies has intriguing potential in this respect.
Sounds similar to K'Andre Miller, as well as lots of the same things that were said about Jamie Benn.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for posting this. Really happy with how this one turned out. It should be noted that Shattuck St Mary's is USHS-Prep level competition and this particular game was a match against the Chicago Mission U18, part of the HPHL...so not exactly top-notch competition, but still nothing to sniff at.

That being said, Morrow put on an absolute clinic this match. His stickhandling, skating, and read ability were on full display here. His ability to create space for himself with a juke or a stickhandling move was unbelievable. I can't wait to watch more footage because I was blown away here. I'm hoping to find some games where he played against tougher competition, especially since USHS-Prep is tough to gauge, but by this video alone he has some very high offensive potential.

Morrow is definitely a kid to keep in mind for the Islanders pick. Even if the Devils nabbed another RD in Clarke with their first pick, I still would not rule out the possibility of taking Morrow, as well. The young talent has a few things to work on, but there's no denying his immense upside. I'm really excited to watch your video, and thanks as always for your terrific work!

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
If trends continue based on remaining schedules, NJ will be a top-7 pick at minimum with a higher likelihood for the 4th to 6th position, #5 being the highest

I suppose its about time I start looking more intensely into these prospects and forming my top-10

also makes you wonder if a team would be willing to let NJ trade up a slot or two for a specific talent (Im looking at you, Luke Hughes)

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
I also should look more into Edvinsson, as I think a Suter-type minute eater would be ideal for this team.

however those types of prospects are most often to bust next to smaller ppg-types IMO

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If trends continue based on remaining schedules, NJ will be a top-7 pick at minimum with a higher likelihood for the 4th to 6th position, #5 being the highest

I suppose its about time I start looking more intensely into these prospects and forming my top-10

also makes you wonder if a team would be willing to let NJ trade up a slot or two for a specific talent (Im looking at you, Luke Hughes)

It’s hard to see NJ falling below the four current basement dwellers. I also expect VAN to lose almost all of its games post Covid to drop behind NJ. Then you have to factor in SEA and the draft lottery.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It’s hard to see NJ falling below the four current basement dwellers. I also expect VAN to lose almost all of its games post Covid to drop behind NJ. Then you have to factor in SEA and the draft lottery.

Agreed. The Devils aren’t falling further from where they are and could jump a team or two before the end of the season.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
While I could see this being likely, I think the kids will burn out here in the end for no other reason than other teams will be fighting for spots and are more experienced by a large large margin

injuries such as Zacha only compound the problem

I see us, before lottery, being fourth. Id be happy with fifth, content with sixth, and meh with seventh.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
While I could see this being likely, I think the kids will burn out here in the end for no other reason than other teams will be fighting for spots and are more experienced by a large large margin

injuries such as Zacha only compound the problem

I see us, before lottery, being fourth. Id be happy with fifth, content with sixth, and meh with seventh.

I've said this a few times, but it bears repeating -- in most drafts the gulf between the #1 and #2 pick is larger than it is this year between the #1 and #7 pick. It's almost uncanny how tight the rankings -- both mine and the consensus -- are between the top 7 players: Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Johnson & Power.

For instance, in the 2019 draft -- which most Devils fans remember -- the difference between my ranking of my #1 (Hughes) and my #2 (Kakko) was far more pronounced than the current difference between my #1 (Beniers) and my #7 (Guenther).

I cannot stress how unusual this is. These are all terrific prospects, and in the 2021 top 7 the argument is as much "what type of player do you want for your team" as it is "who is the best player?"

If I'm Ottawa, I'm probably picking Beniers first overall. If I'm Detroit, I'm probably picking Power or Hughes first overall. If I'm the Devils, I'm probably picking Clarke first overall. It's that crazy.

If the season ended today, the Devils would own the 6th overall pick in the draft. They are unlikely to move up, though it's possible. The Devils have 34 points in 40 games played, while the #5 pick belongs to Detroit -- also with 34 points but with two games in hand. The #4 pick belongs to Anaheim, with 31 points and two games in hand. The odds of the Ducks gaining 3 points on the Devils in two fewer games is extremely unlikely. If the Devils were to pass anyone, the likely culprit would be Detroit but again, the percentages are against New Jersey.

Unfortunately, it's more likely the Devils drop in the draft. While current #7 Vancouver is one point ahead with 35 with three games in hand, teams have shown a propensity to lose often after Covid goes through their team, much like with the Devils and Buffalo earlier this year. Calgary is #8 with 37 points, but the Devils have the game in hand there. The team I'm most worried about is actually #9 Columbus, 4 points ahead of the Devils with 38, but having played 3 more games with a total of 43. Tortorella has completely lost that team and they have some tough games remaining on their schedule.

Ultimately, I'm not going to worry too much about it. I watch the Devils and root for them to win. The standings tend to work themselves out. But I will say that in 2021 the difference between drafting 1st and 7th overall is smaller than I can ever remember, and I've been analyzing drafts for a mighty long time.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The Devils are playing in the toughest division and they’re done playing the Sabres. The Ducks, Wings, Sens and Canucks can easily rack up 3 to 4 more wins when looking at their remaining schedules, something I can’t say when looking at ours.

We’re the youngest team and probably the softest, so teams battling out for a playoff spot will do what Boston did to us last week and that’s bully guys like Smith and Hughes, knowing there won’t be any pushback.

I can see us finishing 4th last and I’d be fine with that.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Devils are playing in the toughest division and they’re done playing the Sabres. The Ducks, Wings, Sens and Canucks can easily rack up 3 to 4 more wins when looking at their remaining schedules, something I can’t say when looking at ours.

We’re the youngest team and probably the softest, so teams battling out for a playoff spot will do what Boston did to us last week and that’s bully guys like Smith and Hughes, knowing there won’t be any pushback.

I can see us finishing 4th last and I’d be fine with that.
It would be tough to break into the top four group, they are pretty good at losing but still is enough time for movement there of course.

Plus San Jose’s schedule is getting a lot harder too and Columbus could fall down the rankings too. There’s competition the other way too, you have too see if other teams are are fading. I’m pretty convinced the Blue Jackets will plunge, I don’t know know about the bottom Honda West teams’ fates.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've said this a few times, but it bears repeating -- in most drafts the gulf between the #1 and #2 pick is larger than it is this year between the #1 and #7 pick. It's almost uncanny how tight the rankings -- both mine and the consensus -- are between the top 7 players: Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Johnson & Power.

Look at it this way... What's your normal spread between picks 4 and 9? I think it's usually pretty tight and a crapshoot between them.

This draft doesn't seem to have a standout top 2 or 3, so it's almost like we're starting at pick 4.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It would be tough to break into the top four group, they are pretty good at losing but still is enough time for movement there of course.

Plus San Jose’s schedule is getting a lot harder too and Columbus could fall down the rankings too. There’s competition the other way too, you have too see if other teams are are fading. I’m pretty convinced the Blue Jackets will plunge, I don’t know know about the bottom Honda West teams’ fates.

I’m just going by strength of schedule and us playing in the toughest division and having played all our games against the weakest team.

Time will tell but with Zacha’s injury and whoever gets moved today, I see us as a bottom 5 team.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I just hope we pick in the top 7. There are 7 players I feel all would be very good picks Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Johnson & Powers.
AM i wrong to think that after these guys , it drops off a bit as far as known talent prospects?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I’m just going by strength of schedule and us playing in the toughest division and having played all our games against the weakest team.

Time will tell but with Zacha’s injury and whoever gets moved today, I see us as a bottom 5 team.

Again, we’re already a bottom 5 team so this doesn’t change anything. I just don’t see us falling below the likes of Ottawa or Detroit or Buffalo.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Again, we’re already a bottom 5 team so this doesn’t change anything. I just don’t see us falling below the likes of Ottawa or Detroit or Buffalo.
We just need to get Owen Power for one simple reason: not that he fits a need or that he’s huge, I just want to be able to change my name to PowerBahl.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I see many fans sayig how important it is to draft Luke Hughes so he doesn't end up in Vancouver in fear that Jack might bounce when he hits UFA. I kind of think that's a silly thing to think about, especially since Jack is team controlled for a long time still.

How do you guys feel about it? Curious to hear your thoughts.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Look at it this way... What's your normal spread between picks 4 and 9? I think it's usually pretty tight and a crapshoot between them.

This draft doesn't seem to have a standout top 2 or 3, so it's almost like we're starting at pick 4.

I'll hopefully have my preliminary rankings done in a week, but I'd say there's a drop-off between 7 and 9. My #7 right now is Guenther, who I'd say is a good pick at #1 overall -- this is something I've never said before in all my years doing this and would probably never say in another draft year.

My #8 right now is probably Chaz Lucius -- whom I have extremely high regard for. But if a team drafting first overall drafted Lucius at #1, I would say it was a bad pick, and that they should traded down.

Reactions: Nubmer6

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I just hope we pick in the top 7. There are 7 players I feel all would be very good picks Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Johnson & Powers.
AM i wrong to think that after these guys , it drops off a bit as far as known talent prospects?

I would agree with you. But there will be draft writers and scouts who may not like one of my top 7 and prefer another player. I've seen recent rankings with Eklund not in the top 10. I've seen recent rankings with Lambos and Edvinsson in the top 3.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

if the season ended today, we would most assuredly be picking no later than #8

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

RD Ryan Ufko, Chicago USHL

The first thing you notice about Ufko is that he's a very smart player. The Long Island native thinks and anticipates the game at a very high level, which has many scouts and draft writers ranking him in their second round. What really impresses me is that I feel he combines his terrific instincts with an excellent compete level. To me, this combination will see Ufko into a successful career in the NHL despite a few physical limitations.

Ufko is smallish for a D at 5'11-180, and though he is a decent skater, he's not exactly a burner. Size and speed are the basic physical qualifications a defenseman must use in most situations, so if you're limited in those qualities, you'd better have adapted your game around it so that the other aspects are excelling. Ryan Ufko has certainly succeeded in this regard.

Defensively, Ufko has very good positioning, awareness and gap control; he employs an active stick and is always thinking and working. His weakness is the obvious one -- he can be out-muscled by power forwards along the boards and in the crease. He's a battler one-on-one and there's no denying this, but he's not the rare sub-6'0 defender who is impossible to beat in those situations, like a Brian Rafalski. Though Ufko is always in the right place or nearabout, he is also a bit susceptible to speed forwards on the outside. These limitations prevent him from the capacity to become an elite NHL defender, but he can still become a good one. His courage and intellect are always on display in his own zone, so he's a pain in the ass for even the elite USHL forwards to go up against.

Offensively, Ufko is extremely intriguing. He's an excellent passer, really top-notch with his outlet passing and showing tremendous acuity and some nice creativity once in the offensive zone. But his strength is being a transition defender, which many teams are seeking in the modern NHL. Ufko is an above-average puck-handler and I'd say he has a very good shot from the point.

I feel Ufko will get comparisons to some of the smaller and more cerebral defenders in the NHL -- the Will Butchers and maybe Tyson Barries. I actually like Ufko better in several respects because I do not feel he sacrifices his defensive responsibilities for offensive numbers, and I really like his compete level. He lacks an optically standout trait, but I'd say his passing is really outstanding, and this will be his calling card if he's drafted in the top half of the second round, which is entirely possible.

From the Devils standpoint, any RD is a target of need. The only offensive-minded RD in the system is Reilly Walsh -- and while I'd say Walsh has a bit more pure scoring upside than Ufko, the kid from Long Island is a better all-around player. I'm not sure I would take Ryan Ufko as high as the second round with some of the names likely to still be on the board, but I would certainly consider him if he were to fall to the 3rd/4th round area.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

RD Owen Murray, Green Bay USHL

Similar to Ryan Ufko (written up above) is another USHL defender who is getting less hype, probably due to the fact that he plays for a lower-profile Gamblers program. Murray is another undersized (5'10-175) defenseman with good-but-not-great skates who relies on his brain and competitive nature to become a very solid prospect for the NHL. He's better defensively than you'd think upon first impression, and he offers some sneaky-good offensive abilities.

Murray is a skater whose edge work is superior than his straightaway speed, which is fine but certainly played up by his ability to quickly shift directions. Defensively, he's smart with his gaps and positioning and active with his stick. He can be outmuscled, but not because of lack of effort -- he can be a real pain in the ass to play against for bigger USHL forwards who expect an easy shove-off but wind up having to fight tooth and nail for every inch. Murray is never going to be your shut-down guy, but he can certainly round out into an above-average, cerebral NHL defender with a bit of sand in his game.

Murray is a good stickhandler in tight spaces, also aided by his fine edge work. His passing is very good, especially on the breakout. I'd say he's less creative than Ufko in the offensive zone, but he's very smart and accurate. He's got a very solid shot but he's not going to beat goaltenders from the point without great traffic in the crease.

I recently watched Murray vs. the US-NTDP, and though Green Bay was clearly over their heads in terms of overall talent, I felt Murray held his own quite nicely and was one of the most impressive players in the game. He has not received much attention or many high rankings, so he's a kid who could fall the the 5th/6th rounds, and I think he would be a terrific get there. The Devils are in clear need of RDs, and Murray is an under-the-radar player at the position with great smarts and understanding of the game. In my mind, he has very good NHL potential.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Honestly, I don't have a strong liking to anyone specifically in all of the top 7. Not even Owen Power. I would be very very happy with any of them.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Seems we agree. The top 7 are pretty much almost equal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille