Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Wallstedt!? No god no not with our pick. Do NOT want a goalie with our first pick .
Rather and Wallstedt are not in the tier where we are picking . I apologize for being clueless regarding this but we have some amazing resident “analysts “ here in Steven ( I don’t even know his real name or if that’s what he wants to be called ) where he invests countless hours writing up prospect analysis and does an excellent job doing so. Check out his lists .There are a few other posters that are very very insightful and knowledgeable here as well

Um... yes it's my real name.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just out of curiosity, how would you rank the big 3 D compared to Drysdale and Sanderson last year?

It's very close to me. If I had to sandwich the last two drafts, I'd say it would go Sanderson-Drysdale-Clarke-Power-Hughes. But again, it's close enough that Hughes vs. Sanderson would certainly represent a reasonable debate to me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Where is Mercer in there lol. Slightly behind Holtz or slightly ahead yet behind Johnson? All play a different style of game and bring different things to the table but I’m interested on your take .

1 Eklund
2 Guenther
3 Johnson
4 Mercer
5 Holtz

Again, it's very close. Holtz vs. Guenther at RW, for instance, is a very reasonable debate. Holtz certainly has the edge in pure goal-scoring, but Guenther's all-around game is high-end across the board, while Holtz is merely "good" at most aspects outside from the sniping and passing, which he is high end in.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Who is the most NHL ready of the “big three” if any...

Power or Clarke. I love Hughes, but my main reason for ranking him third out of the three is that I could not see him playing in the NHL without two more years of development. This also makes his development curve more difficult to predict. Hughes' skating and puck-skill certainly gives him a tremendous talent ceiling, but he's also the furthest from his ceiling of the three and it's not close.

Reactions: mdj12784

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Power or Clarke. I love Hughes, but my main reason for ranking him third out of the three is that I could not see him playing in the NHL without two more years of development. This also makes his development curve more difficult to predict. Hughes' skating and puck-skill certainly gives him a tremendous talent ceiling, but he's also the furthest from his ceiling of the three and it's not close.
Are those rankings you reference based on NJ's needs or simply player evaluation?

I ask because Id question if its fair to use a players development curve against them, if in fact were comparing prospects closely ranked.

I can certainly see the weight involved in the drafting process for teams, as well the added uncertainty of them panning out if they take longer.

Im just not sure if Id use that as a negative against the prospect; my best example would be higher ranked Russians drafted who dont come over for 3-5 years (I understand this isnt a direct correlation but its my best attempt)

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Are those rankings you reference based on NJ's needs or simply player evaluation?

I ask because Id question if its fair to use a players development curve against them, if in fact were comparing prospects closely ranked.

I can certainly see the weight involved in the drafting process for teams, as well the added uncertainty of them panning out if they take longer.

Im just not sure if Id use that as a negative against the prospect; my best example would be higher ranked Russians drafted who dont come over for 3-5 years (I understand this isnt a direct correlation but its my best attempt)

My apologies, I might not have specified why I factor development curve into my rankings. The real reason is quite simple -- the further along the player is on his development curve, the higher his talent floor (usually).

To me, this is generally why drafting a defenseman is riskier than drafting a winger -- defensemen have a lot more to learn at the NHL level, and as such they generally reach their peak later in their career.

With Luke Hughes, you need to project more than the other first round defensemen. He missed half of an already-condensed draft-eligible season due to injury, and he played against lower competition, as the USHL is not to the level of the NCAA or Slovakian Men's league. In addition, Hughes has the most to learn of the three defensively and in terms of savvier decision-making with the puck.

No one's questioning Hughes' upside. His skating is otherworldly, his passing vision and puck-handling are phenomenal. We know he's a one-man transition machine. But this is definitely a player, to me anyway, who needs two years to solidify his 200-foot game at the NCAA level. His positioning is not at the level of Power or Clarke, he often takes unnecessary risks which seem anachronistic to game situation, and his positioning loses focus when trapped in the D zone. These are all things which can be alleviated with coaching and development, but it makes his projection murkier to get a handle on.

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
I see. I know with defensemen it’s a delicate balance of developing, but at this point, I’d really like NHL ready players. I feel like we have to keep pushing the clock back before we can be any bit competitive.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Worst case scenario is we pick 7th. I cannot realistically see a scenario where the three D make it past 4th pick . Beniers is the only forward I can see go ahead of the 3 D .(in no particular order , just who I feel top 7 is and worst case scenario for us )
1. Power
2. Beniers
3.Hughes
4.Clarke
5.Geunther
6. Eklund
7 Johnson - Devils pick

That to me is worst case, miss the three D and Holtz former line mate in Eklund and a stud in Geunther . Johnson is no slouch and I’d still be pumped to add a player like him , but it would not be the most ideal situation in my opinion .

I'm personally higher on Johnson than Eklund and Geunther so if it plays out like this...I'd be very happy.

MWagg72

May 9, 2021
It's very close to me. If I had to sandwich the last two drafts, I'd say it would go Sanderson-Drysdale-Clarke-Power-Hughes. But again, it's close enough that Hughes vs. Sanderson would certainly represent a reasonable debate to me.
Thanks for the input! Besides Jack vs Kakko and Nico vs. Nolan Patrick, I've just started following the prospects a bit more the last two seasons so it's good to have a frame of reference.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I am pretty content no matter what the devils do (hughes2:electric boogaloo) , seems hard to go wrong inside the top 10 this year

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I am pretty content no matter what the devils do (hughes2:electric boogaloo) , seems hard to go wrong inside the top 10 this year
It’s never hard to go wrong. Lots of high picks don’t reach their projection and some of the guys in the top this year likely won’t as well. We need to get it right.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Watched some more videos tonight and these are my takes.
Out of the 3 D I’d go Clarke . His offensive abilities are insane. That and him being a RHD puts him ahead of Hughes then Power. I love Hughes skating ability but cannot see him putting up numbers like Clarke will or has the ability to beat payers one on one and generate offence like Clarke . Power is going to be a very capable NHL D but again , won’t be as productive as Clarke but will be a very steady D that is good at everything but not really truly elite at anything either. I see him as more like a Parayko .
Of the forwards in the first “tier” I really like Johnson. I’m a little scared about how his game will translate from junior A hockey to pro hockey. However Makar and Newhook seem to be not too shabby.
It’s hard for me to pick between Johnson Beniers and Eklund.
To me , Geunther does not look as dynamic as the other 3 forwards. He is a point scoring machine but all of it doesn’t look as impressive or flashy as Johnson and Eklund. Beniers looks like he is going to be a very good all around player. Does everything very well with and without the puck. I don’t see him putting up numbers like the other three but will make up for it with his complete game.
With the Islanders pick , I looked at a few players and with a forward I’d love me some Pinelli or Othmann. I hadn’t watched much of Othmann but his shot and release is deadly and has a knack for finding the right spot in the ice to be in while in the offensive zone. Looks like he could be a very dangerous player.
Cossa to me is a Ben Bishop clone . Huge frame with very good technical skills , plays a very quiet sound game without any wasted movement. Guy is a monster (listed at 6’7” some places) .
I’d say he looks quite a bit better than Gaudreau. Worth the disparity in draft rankings. I would not go Cossa though with the the Islanders pick as much as I like him. It would be too hard to pass on palaces like Othmann Pinelli etc. if they are still there .

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

And Edvinsson ones even tho most of us would rather the other d who could be available. He’s very likely to go in our range just before or after our pick and there is a chance we are the ones to end up taking him. You can see some of the skills and attributes that make him so attractive as a prospect to some scouts. It’s rare for a player of his size to skate so well and have such good hands.

Last edited:

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
I don't like Edvinsson as much as I like Hughes, Clarke and Power but this board is underrating him. I don't know why but looks like no one wants him and is it because our draft expert @StevenToddIves don't like him? I love reading STI's prospect profiles and his opinions but I have to disagree that there is 17 better players than Edvinsson in the draft. What I have seen Edvinsson so that guy looks like a monster who can fly on the ice and he have also very good hands. I have never seen u18 player with Edvinssons size skating so well. I think that Edvinsson have higher offensive upside than Power but Power are better at defending. If Edvinsson can put altogether so he can be even the best player of this draft.

I think that Edvinsson are almost as good as the "big 3" if not even as good. I have not seen all of them so much that I can say who is the best and I also base some of my opinions about what my favourite prospect writer @StevenToddIves and other prospect writers are saying. What I have seen and read so Edvinsson will be top10 pick and I would not be very surprised if he goes before some of the "big 3". Almost every ranking what I have seen so Edvinsson is in top10 and couple of them are having Edvinsson as top3 pick.

I appreciate everyones opinions but I have seen here so many posts like "Which forward we would take if Power, Hughes and Clarke are gone when we pick?" Why you don't want Edvinsson and have you guys even seen games from Edvinsson outside of couple u18 games where Edvinsson played his first games in small rink? I would be really happy with Edvinsson if the "big 3" is gone when we pick.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Problem with Clarke is that awkward style he skates imo and his short area agility or quickness is lacking but just hope guys making the picks the experts know who is best to take....As long as we get a good player.

Reactions: Goomba

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Problem with Clarke is that awkward style he skates imo and his short area agility or quickness is lacking but just hope guys making the picks the experts know who is best to take....As long as we get a good player.
Its really not that awkward. I think people are over exaggerating that and he certainly gets around fine. Has elite edge work too.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
From what I understand, Hughes will be a great player, but he just isn’t as NHL ready as Clarke or Power and is likely 2-3 years away, where Clarke and Power and likely ready or 1 year away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad