Prospect Info: 2021 Mock Draft 1.0, Post-Palmieri Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Ducks are going to finish behind us and in turn Seattle will be ahead of us too.
We have the same exact record as them now. Picking up one point in our last game really did not help our cause. Imo finishing third worst is the worst thing that can happen for NJ and finishing first or second worst is the best case scenario. I Know everyone just wants to win a damn game but at this point I’m all for losing the rest of the way. It doesn’t make me any less of a fan. I want a third or fourth overall pick in this draft not a sixth overall pick.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We have the same exact record as them now. Picking up one point in our last game really did not help our cause. Imo finishing third worst is the worst thing that can happen for NJ and finishing first or second worst is the best case scenario. I Know everyone just wants to win a damn game but at this point I’m all for losing the rest of the way. It doesn’t make me any less of a fan. I want a third or fourth overall pick in this draft not a sixth overall pick.
I’m with you. Seattle sliding in makes the difference between finishing 3rd last and 2nd last bigger. I don’t want to finish below Buffalo really tho because that would be too embarrassing with how bad they are and that losing streak they went on. Anaheim will likely pick up some points in their next four games which are all against LA who’s not much higher in the standings. Hopefully they get some wins and we can afford to get a couple wins too and still not fall below Seattle.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
We’re tied with Anaheim right now. Same amount of games played. We’re ahead of them in the standings with a GD of -49 vs there -51. Really could go either way. Would be nice if they picked up a few wins here.

Gonna add that Anaheims game right now vs LA who is another team near the bottom is their first of four games in a row against eachother. Expect them to pickup atleast a win or two.
I hope so but at this point Anaheim is playing so bad I’m not sure if they can pick up another point let alone win. I think there is a better chance Buffalo can get more points before Anaheim does

Reactions: Raian

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’m with you. Seattle sliding in makes the difference between finishing 3rd last and 2nd last bigger. I don’t want to finish below Buffalo really tho because that would be too embarrassing with how bad they are and that losing streak they went on. Anaheim will likely pick up some points in their next four games which are all against LA who’s not much higher in the standings. Hopefully they get some wins and we can afford to get a couple wins too and still not fall below Seattle.
It’s easy to root for Buffalo right now because I’m pretty sure they are playing the rangers tomorrow

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I hope so but at this point Anaheim is playing so bad I’m not sure if they can pick up another point let alone win. I think there is a better chance Buffalo can get more points before Anaheim does
Maybe, their not doing so bad right now. Down 2-1 in the second almost just scored a shorty.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
39D4A131-2B66-45DA-9B20-42070FE9904C.png

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I've decided I'll put up a mock draft 2.0 for May. After the U18 tournament, I will also put together a revised draft rankings, hopefully for 2 rounds and not just the top 32. As for today, here's a mini-mock based on the current Tankathon standings:

1 BUF LD Power
2 ANH LD Hughes
3 SEA C Beniers
4 NJ RD Clarke
5 OTT RW/LW Guenther
6 CLB LW/C Eklund
7 DET LW/C Johnson
8 SJ LD Edvinsson
9 LA G Wallstedt
10 CGY RW/LW Lysell
11 ARI FORFEIT
12 VAN LD Lambos
13 CHI C Lucius
14 PHI LW/C Sillinger
15 NSH C Raty
16 NYR C Svechkov
17 STL LW/C McTavish
18 MTL LW Othmann
19 DAL LW/RW Robertsson
20 WPG LD Svozil
21 EDM LW Olausson
22 BOS LW L'Heureux
23 NJ LW/RW Chibrikov
Spitting is close to licking I guess lol

I was going to say LA had Peterson but he’s 26 years old so, yeah they could draft a goalie. And Quick’s seemingly endless 10 year deal actually will end in two years. (And they may lose one in the ED but I’m not gotten to a place into my life where I’ve tried to figure out what goalie the Kraken will take since it’s not ours.) LA taking the goalie makes a ton of sense if they don’t win either lottery spot and get to grab a top defenseman. (San Jose fans will be thrilled.)

The Rangers pick fits a need, is a Russian and would annoy me so that a real possibility. Sillinger scoring a ton on the Flyers, cool cool.

And wow, you figured the Devils would go all in with the Russian scouting and throw us all for a loop.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
the reason we were able to draft hughes is because we won our last game and dropped a tank spot - so despite the odds increase i’d be careful what i wish for

Yeah the only thing I'm wishing for is for the Isles to suck, Devils and their players need to end the season with some wins I think. A 15+ game losing streak to finish the season would be brutal.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I don’t really care where we finish as long as the pick is in the top 7. This draft is such a crapshoot. Whoever we pick we can probably find multiple pre-draft sources placing them in the top 3 anyway even if we get them at 7.

And, I’d rather not waste our luck on winning the lottery this year. If we’re going to be in the lottery again the next two years there’s Wright, Bedard, and Michkov :nod:

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
It doesnt make you less of a fan but it does come across the wrong way sometimes, depending whos reading or hearing it

Just remember we only got Nico and Jack because we won a few games at the end of each of those seasons. So while everyone would agree a top-4 pick is 10000% better than a 5-7 pick, I also cant be mad or unhappy when they win a game and gain some confidence back and maybe gel a bit mOre with teammates in these last eight games.

im beginning the process of accepting that we dont get any of the big three dmen as we will slide to 4th at worst (as of today, because of Seattle) and then likely slide another slot to five (When someone behind us wins a lottery). I dont foresee the dmen making it to 5

If thats the case I then get picky and testy about the situation and demand I get one of Beniers, Eklund, or Guenther

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
At this point, I just want to see the younger players play well & WIN some games. The team is pretty much going to get a top 5 or 6 pick. Next year is going to be a big year for Nico, Jack & MacKenzie. These players have to be way more consistent than they were this year. Hopefully some of our draft picks start to pan out like we hope.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It doesnt make you less of a fan but it does come across the wrong way sometimes, depending whos reading or hearing it

Just remember we only got Nico and Jack because we won a few games at the end of each of those seasons. So while everyone would agree a top-4 pick is 10000% better than a 5-7 pick, I also cant be mad or unhappy when they win a game and gain some confidence back and maybe gel a bit mOre with teammates in these last eight games.

im beginning the process of accepting that we dont get any of the big three dmen as we will slide to 4th at worst (as of today, because of Seattle) and then likely slide another slot to five (When someone behind us wins a lottery). I dont foresee the dmen making it to 5

If thats the case I then get picky and testy about the situation and demand I get one of Beniers, Eklund, or Guenther
I don’t think it will be all defensemen all the time at the top at all, it’s just that Power has mostly solidified the top spot. Guenther could go second easily. And Beniers is the only centerman and he could go second easily too. I would actually be shocked if either Guenther or Beniers make it past 5th.

Guenther, Clarke, Edvinsson and others are at the U18 and that could juice their draft stock.

I don’t see point of worrying about it? It’s not like we’re going to be that far down no matter what and we don’t get Power unless we win a lottery slot.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
I don’t think it will be all defensemen all the time at the top at all, it’s just that Power has mostly solidified the top spot. Guenther could go second easily. And Beniers is the only centerman and he could go second easily too. I would actually be shocked if either Guenther or Beniers make it past 5th.

Guenther, Clarke, Edvinsson and others are at the U18 and that could juice their draft stock.

I don’t see point of worrying about it? It’s not like we’re going to be that far down no matter what and we don’t get Power unless we win a lottery slot.
I foresee it going Beniers and the three dmen in the top-5, probably with one of Guenther or Eklund getting in that last spot

So if we were sixth id take whoever is left of that top-6 group right there without second thought. Thats my top-6 and , even though on my tier list I had Kent Johnson right there as well, I like the games of Eklund and Guenther as much better fits even if I see Johnson as a similar talent

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
If were top-7 were getting one of my top-7 prospects, Id be pretty surprised if they took someone outside Power Beniers Hughes Clarke Guenther Eklund and Johnson

however Id be lying if I said I wouldnt be disappointed we dont get one of the dmen; Id also be lying if I didnt then say Id expect Fitzgerald to make a bold move for a young stud defenseman, because you simply cannot go the next 2-3 years only adding bottom-4 talent next to Ty Smith.

In fact, if that ended up the case of how Fitzgerald feels about the defenses future, id find it more likely and less costly to just move up to the top-5 if need be for one of the dmen.

Forward prospects are way more exciting; but I think us leaving this draft without a top-7 pick of a defenseman would be considered a loss for the franchise as a whole going forward and would complicate how we go about getting a defenseman to fit the timeline

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If were top-7 were getting one of my top-7 prospects, Id be pretty surprised if they took someone outside Power Beniers Hughes Clarke Guenther Eklund and Johnson

however Id be lying if I said I wouldnt be disappointed we dont get one of the dmen; Id also be lying if I didnt then say Id expect Fitzgerald to make a bold move for a young stud defenseman, because you simply cannot go the next 2-3 years only adding bottom-4 talent next to Ty Smith.

In fact, if that ended up the case of how Fitzgerald feels about the defenses future, id find it more likely and less costly to just move up to the top-5 if need be for one of the dmen.

Forward prospects are way more exciting; but I think us leaving this draft without a top-7 pick of a defenseman would be considered a loss for the franchise as a whole going forward and would complicate how we go about getting a defenseman to fit the timeline

I'd prefer one of the top defensemen for NJ and if NJ doesn't pick first and Clarke is available I'd be disappointed if they don't take him. That being said, either Clarke or Hughes are probably two years away so it's not a short term fix in any event and NJ will have to do something to start addressing the right side of the defense next year since PK has an expiring deal and they are playing Tennyson and Carrick. You have to imagine they know they need to upgrade on that side. What's weird to me is that they have almost seemed to ignore the right. They added Mukhamadullin last draft. Then they trade for Siegnthaler despite having a stable of nice left defense prospects in the AHL and even in Russia with Zatisev and Misyul. Yet they only have Walsh and McCarthy on the right. I'm a bit surprised that they have let it sit so far. Hopefully they add some right defense prospects in the draft even if they don't get Clarke.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
I'd prefer one of the top defensemen for NJ and if NJ doesn't pick first and Clarke is available I'd be disappointed if they don't take him. That being said, either Clarke or Hughes are probably two years away so it's not a short term fix in any event and NJ will have to do something to start addressing the right side of the defense next year since PK has an expiring deal and they are playing Tennyson and Carrick. You have to imagine they know they need to upgrade on that side. What's weird to me is that they have almost seemed to ignore the right. They added Mukhamadullin last draft. Then they trade for Siegnthaler despite having a stable of nice left defense prospects in the AHL and even in Russia with Zatisev and Misyul. Yet they only have Walsh and McCarthy on the right. I'm a bit surprised that they have let it sit so far. Hopefully they add some right defense prospects in the draft even if they don't get Clarke.
Fitzgerald strikes me as someone who would make a big deal for a RHD or simply sign Hamilton

though id argue that Clarke or Hughes could be a year away, with how young the team is and with the need for high-end defensive talent being so strong

Reactions: My3Sons

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

Don't forget Lysell.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

I’d be disappointed if we miss out on the top 3 d also but maybe the devils have eklund high on their list having seen him a lot. He does have chemistry with holtz. Maybe eklund -Nico/jack - holtz is a good line one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad