WJC: 2021 Germany Roster Talk

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
So, has Borzecki spent the whole tournament in quarantine? Can he at least fly home with the team?

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know Germany still doesn't produce the quantity of young players that some of the nations ranked ahead do but:

A) It's pretty amazing that Germany pulled together after the Canada debacle and really player their hearts out and gave Russia (admittedly, not that impressive this year so far) a real game in the quarters.

B) Two of the top 10 (at worst...maybe top 5) prospects walking this entire earth, one forward and one defender - are both German. The reigning Hart Trophy winner in the NHL is a German. Add in guys like Reichel and Peterka who can easily have cases made for as top 75-100 prospects and the level of high end players Germany is producing is actually astounding. I'd wager in 5 years, when Drai is still at his prime and the younger group have been fully-experienced at a high level - that Germany - if fully healthy and available - is going to be quite a foe in international tournaments for quite sometime.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I know Germany still doesn't produce the quantity of young players that some of the nations ranked ahead do but:

A) It's pretty amazing that Germany pulled together after the Canada debacle and really player their hearts out and gave Russia (admittedly, not that impressive this year so far) a real game in the quarters.

B) Two of the top 10 (at worst...maybe top 5) prospects walking this entire earth, one forward and one defender - are both German. The reigning Hart Trophy winner in the NHL is a German. Add in guys like Reichel and Peterka who can easily have cases made for as top 75-100 prospects and the level of high end players Germany is producing is actually astounding. I'd wager in 5 years, when Drai is still at his prime and the younger group have been fully-experienced at a high level - that Germany - if fully healthy and available - is going to be quite a foe in international tournaments for quite sometime.
The Germans are already here. If Reichel, Seirder and the starting goalie are at the tourney let’s be real here they beat Finland and Russia.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Yea, we have an issue though:

back in the days our defense was always solid but our team just wouldn’t score. Dump and chase hockey all the way up until Marco Sturm took over the team as coach and the DEB introduced the 2026 youth program.

Now we’re stacking up on offense, not only on “high end talents” like Drai, Stütztle, Peterka, Kahun etc.
but also with some depth, like Nico Sturm, Bergmann, Michaelis and so on. Whether they manage to stick in the NHL or not, that’s quite a progress for our program.

Downside is: We’re not nearly keeping up when it comes to defenders.

Second downside: We never really had an issue with goalies, but there’s not much talent coming up for the next few drafts.

So new strategy: Outscore them. 11:10, 18:17, do whatever it takes :D

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Germans are already here. If Reichel, Seirder and the starting goalie are at the tourney let’s be real here they beat Finland and Russia.

I could probably read this thread to find out but who was supposed to be the German goalie for this year? Are there any with potential to be good NT players in the future? Somebody(s) who would make net not a major weakness against top competition?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I could probably read this thread to find out but who was supposed to be the German goalie for this year? Are there any with potential to be good NT players in the future? Somebody(s) who would make net not a major weakness against top competition?
No idea but I’ve heard they have talent coming. I believe they can return Reichel, Stuetzle and Peterka next year amongst others

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Tobias Ancicka was expected to be the starter, but his team had covid issues and he was a close contact so he wasnt able to join the team. That being said, Bugl did a great job and is eligible to return next year and while he wont be a world beater, he should be good enough to cover for the lack of defensive talent Germany has.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
You guys had a good tournament...also finishing 6th means you are in a group with Austria and the Czech Republic next year. With Austria in your group, you're a pretty safe bet for the KO stage again.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
From what I saw from Stuetzle this year, there is no way he plays WJC next year. He'll have other stuff to do. ;)

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
From what I saw from Stuetzle this year, there is no way he plays WJC next year. He'll have other stuff to do. ;)

Unless of course Ottawa will allow him to go. Seeing as it is in Canada he would not miss too much time if he goes

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

I wouldn't be so sure about Germany beating Finns and Russians. The gap between the best and the worst German player was huge and you need more than a couple of good guys to win. Finland and Russia would have still have had a huge material advantage compared to Germany. Seider would have been a good add to the lineup because Germany's defence was so poor. Very slow and unable to move the puck. Having Seider would have helped as he would have played a lot, but he can't play the whole game. Also, I don't think he could have provided that much offence. Reichel would have added another scoring threat and maybe they could have created two dangerous lines instead of just one or maybe they would have put all their best players on one line. Ancicka would have been good, I just don't think he would have been the difference maker because the defence would have still sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad