WJC: 2021 Germany Roster Talk

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Deservedly much of the attention on this team has been on the players from this year's draft. But was curious about some of the team's 19-year-olds who have gotten a lot less acclaim.

Are any of them the type of late bloomers that could shine at the tournament? Julian Chrobot, for instance, scored four goals in his first six games in Germany's second league to start the year.

Anything worth watching?

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Is Moritz Seider being released? If so Germany could surprise along with Stutzle, Peterka, etc.
Just saw that Seider isn't playing. A huge blow to this team. However, given the Reichel, Stutzle, and Peterka all played together last year and showed flashes of brilliance as a line of draft-eligible 17 year olds, this year as line of 18 year old's with the experience of last year behind them I expect this line to dominate at times against the Swiss and Slovaks. I do not expect this team to be playing for relegation.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just saw that Seider isn't playing. A huge blow to this team. However, given the Reichel, Stutzle, and Peterka all played together last year and showed flashes of brilliance as a line of draft-eligible 17 year olds, this year as line of 18 year old's with the experience of last year behind them I expect this line to dominate at times against the Swiss and Slovaks. I do not expect this team to be playing for relegation.

There’s no relegation this year.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That top line can do some damage, but otherwise I am not too optimistic about Germany's chances. Missing Seider hurts them big time and that defence just isn't that good. The offence is counting on one line too much.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
I am not too optimistic either. Defense seems ok for german standards but missing Seider is a huge blow. Pretty sure they wont go with a Stützle, Peterka and Reichel line so pretty curious what they can do. Goalie situation seems pretty uncomfortable with Ancicka out, no real starter now. Goal has to be quarterfinal especially with Switzerland and Slovakia not having great rosters and then see what we can do in quarterfinal

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I am not too optimistic either. Defense seems ok for german standards but missing Seider is a huge blow. Pretty sure they wont go with a Stützle, Peterka and Reichel line so pretty curious what they can do. Goalie situation seems pretty uncomfortable with Ancicka out, no real starter now. Goal has to be quarterfinal especially with Switzerland and Slovakia not having great rosters and then see what we can do in quarterfinal

What happened to Ancicka?

TheGreekShot

Nov 28, 2019
Nino Kinder and Lukas Reichel will miss the tournament:help:
They are positiv on Covid 19
Both are tough losses for an already thin German team. Their top 6 looked pretty solid before this, now I just don't see them being able to compete with the big 5 unfortunately.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Both are tough losses for an already thin German team. Their top 6 looked pretty solid before this, now I just don't see them being able to compete with the big 5 unfortunately.

Realistically, I still think Germany should be able to compete with Slovakia and Switzerland. But before these losses, I would have pegged Germany as the favorite to finish third in the group, now it's more of a toss up

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Nino Kinder and Lukas Reichel will miss the tournament:help:
They are positiv on Covid 19
More than 2 weeks until the tournament starts. Why can't they quarantine and then come back when they're negative?

Pretty ridiculous rules if you ask me. Unless the team doesn't want them because they miss camp, this doesn't make much sense.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
More than 2 weeks until the tournament starts. Why can't they quarantine and then come back when they're negative?

Pretty ridiculous rules if you ask me. Unless the team doesn't want them because they miss camp, this doesn't make much sense.

The rule is that everyone enters the tournament bubble on December 13th, and you have to have tested negative multiple times (I believe 3) over the past week in your individual country bubble.
These players will not be past the potentially contagious stage before the 13th, and there currently is no possibility of entering the tournament bubble after that date.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
This really sucks for the German team. Losing Reichel after their top defenceman deciding not to attend (Seider) really diminishes their chances. I think there will be too much on the soulders Peterka and Stutzle now.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ugh this really annoys me. I'm always a sucker for the underdog, and Germany's roster this year looked like it could be goo enough to maybe even medal if they had a great event. Now they've lost their 2nd and 4th best forwards, their starting goalie, and their only high end defenseman has opted out. May make the QF, but even that's far from certain and I don't like their chances of making rhe SF anymore. Next year Seider's too old, probably no Stutzle either as I expect he'll be in the NHL. It felt like this was the year and it's been destroyed.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Ugh this really annoys me. I'm always a sucker for the underdog, and Germany's roster this year looked like it could be goo enough to maybe even medal if they had a great event. Now they've lost their 2nd and 4th best forwards, their starting goalie, and their only high end defenseman has opted out. May make the QF, but even that's far from certain and I don't like their chances of making rhe SF anymore. Next year Seider's too old, probably no Stutzle either as I expect he'll be in the NHL. It felt like this was the year and it's been destroyed.
It’s really unfortunate, but I’ll take the optimist’s position and mention that they are starting to churn out top prospects with regularity. Plus the immense success of Draisatl in the NHL will hopefully convert the next generation of young athletes in Germany to hockey. Though this year seems like a missed opportunity, I don’t think it’s their last kick at the can. Hopefully we are just seeing the first spark of a golden generation.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It’s really unfortunate, but I’ll take the optimist’s position and mention that they are starting to churn out top prospects with regularity. Plus the immense success of Draisatl in the NHL will hopefully convert the next generation of young athletes in Germany to hockey. Though this year seems like a missed opportunity, I don’t think it’s their last kick at the can. Hopefully we are just seeing the first spark of a golden generation.

Hopefully. Though this years expected German team was much higher level than the example I'm about the give, the same didn't really translate to those 3 or 4 years of decent Denmark teams we had. Minus Ehlers, and Bjorkstrand there were no really high level guys, but they had that fun run of underdog status with some solid players mixed in. That has all but faded by now.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Hopefully. Though this years expected German team was much higher level than the example I'm about the give, the same didn't really translate to those 3 or 4 years of decent Denmark teams we had. Minus Ehlers, and Bjorkstrand there were no really high level guys, but they had that fun run of underdog status with some solid players mixed in. That has all but faded by now.
Those Denmark locker room celebrations were gold medal worthy!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Those Denmark locker room celebrations were gold medal worthy!

That year they finished 2nd in their pool, I think it was 2017 was fun, 1-1-1-1 record, not sure we've seen that before. Unfortunately because they were in the weaker pool they still had to play Russia in the QF. Rough year for Finland, similar to the time Finland won 2 games but had to play in the relegation after Switzerland won 1 game but lost the other 3 in OT to finish with more points. I doubt we'll ever seen that again, a team go 2-2 and have to play relegation, though the 8 QF teams make that near impossible now. The Swiss went on to almost upset Russia in the QF, but Russia tied it late and won in a shootout. Played 5 games that year, only won 1 but didn't lose any in relegation. Strange times.

I feel like we do this every year, reminisce about the memorable old tournaments.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Goalie situation seems pretty uncomfortable with Ancicka out, no real starter now.

That is only half the truth.Ancicka is a loss - no question, but Florian Bugl is by far the best German goalkeeper in 2002 and definitely a starter. With Bugl in goal, you can feel safe as a defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad