WJC: 2021 Germany Roster Talk

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Unless he turns out to be a late bloomer those attributes are mutually exclusive.
How so? Most standout DNL (German U20) players players have good DEL careers. But many standout DNL players won‘t be impact players in the CHL.

Filip Reisnecker didn’t do well in the OHL after being the DNL top scorer the previous year. He’s now in the DEL.
Tim Fleischer didn‘t do well in the OHL after being No. 1 centre on Stützle‘s line in Mannheim the year before. He’s now in the DEL.
Many others, like Elias, never get drafted to the CHL after standout DNL careers because they aren’t good enough, but they still have DEL careers.

It‘s the normal German development path for non-Stützle/Peterka/Reichel/Bokk players and has nothing to do with being a late bloomer. Elias just isn’t that good, but it’ll be enough for Germany.

This doesn’t mean that all CHL players are better than him. There are bad North American players in the CHL too. All I’m saying is that Elias wouldn’t be an impact player in the CHL (he‘d probably be on the 3rd/4th line, depending on team) but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a DEL player in the future. These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Success is another thing and impossible to establish beforehand. But as for the level of play he clearly is good enough for the CHL, like players in this tournament overwhelmingly are.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Success is another thing and impossible to establish beforehand. But as for the level of play he clearly is good enough for the CHL, like players in this tournament overwhelmingly are.
Let‘s put it this way then: he’s not good enough to take an import spot on a CHL team.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Let‘s put it this way then: he’s not good enough to take an import spot on a CHL team.
Sometimes it feels like guys forget that in order for a team to pay to being over a guy from Europe (as expenses are I assume) and take an import spot they have to be better then what the team can get for a lot cheaper in Canada.

Sure a lot of the DEL guys could play CHL but in order for that to happen they have to be an exceptional talent and not just a talent. Its Canada after all. We have lots of our own talented players.

Reactions: Statsy and pgfan66

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So is every player who was out due to Covid back for the game against Slovakia?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Sometimes it feels like guys forget that in order for a team to pay to being over a guy from Europe (as expenses are I assume) and take an import spot they have to be better then what the team can get for a lot cheaper in Canada.

Sure a lot of the DEL guys could play CHL but in order for that to happen they have to be an exceptional talent and not just a talent. Its Canada after all. We have lots of our own talented players.
It’s not even necessarily about expenses. I believe imports usually get to fly home once a year and bring their family over once a year on club expenses in non-covid times. It’s rather that, as you said, there are enough “replacement-level” players in the CHL from the leagues’ regular drafts but they only have 2 import spots. So teams want impact players in those spots just like they want impact players in their few overage spots. Don’t get me wrong, there are bad imports too, because most teams don’t have Euro scouts (I believe only two or three do) and some have better networks in Europe than others. But the goal is always to get an impact player, not an Elias.

Anyway, back on topic: looking forward to seeing Germany with a somewhat full roster!

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

A friend of mine in Finland (who ironically later coached in Germany) explained this to me years ago when were scouting players. Generally, North American clubs don't sign bigger, two-way, solid players with little offensive upside from Europe.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Will the quarantined players be able to skate with rest of the squad before the swiss game?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
After 16 long days most of the boys were allowed to leave their hotel room again, must be the best feeling ever for them

Reactions: Kleefeld

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
After 16 long days most of the boys were allowed to leave their hotel room again, must be the best feeling ever for them

I just hope that most of them will get cleared by the IIHF and team doctors to play against Switzerland. When Bugl, Szuber and Länger were released from quarantine before the Slovakia game, only Bugl got cleared to play right away.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I just hope that most of them will get cleared by the IIHF and team doctors to play against Switzerland. When Bugl, Szuber and Länger were released from quarantine before the Slovakia game, only Bugl got cleared to play right away.

Yeah maybe the extra day will help them. Would be pretty important to get some of them back for todays game

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
Very proud of this team. Many forget that Germany has only about 25.000 registered hockey players, that's less than the whole state of Pennsylvania for example.
Then having to play without Seider, Reichel and Ancicka and shorthanded, they did well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Good news for Germany for next year. With Austria being 10th overall they'll be in the same pool as the 6th and 7th place finishers next year. QF losers place 5th-8th. Germany cannot place 5th, so unless both Czech Republic, and Slovakia win their QF(Germany would place 8th), or Germany wins their QF(which would be amazing), then Germany will end up in the same pool as Austria next year which will give them a good shot at making the QF next year as well.

Reactions: Daeni10

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Good news for Germany for next year. With Austria being 10th overall they'll be in the same pool as the 6th and 7th place finishers next year. QF losers place 5th-8th. Germany cannot place 5th, so unless both Czech Republic, and Slovakia win their QF(Germany would place 8th), or Germany wins their QF(which would be amazing), then Germany will end up in the same pool as Austria next year which will give them a good shot at making the QF next year as well.

Thats huge for us. Hopefully Reichel and Peterka will be able to return next year.

Do we know which of the 4 quarters Germany will play?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thats huge for us. Hopefully Reichel and Peterka will be able to return next year.

Do we know which of the 4 quarters Germany will play?

Russia assuming the USA doesn't blow this lead. Not sure which of the 4 QFs it will be yet time wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00