2021 Draft advice and results

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
So I am doing my mocks on fantasy pros for my live draft. picking 5th out of 10 teams.

It seems my 1st round is going to be Elliot as i personally dont like picking a WR in the first round.

My second round decision seems to be split between Gibson or Mixon. I don't know which way to lean here.
Mixon should be the workhorse on all downs but is a bit injury prone while Gibson has reoccurring turf toe issues but broke for some big runs last season but has lost goal line work to Mckissic.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So I am doing my mocks on fantasy pros for my live draft. picking 5th out of 10 teams.

It seems my 1st round is going to be Elliot as i personally dont like picking a WR in the first round.

My second round decision seems to be split between Gibson or Mixon. I don't know which way to lean here.
Mixon should be the workhorse on all downs but is a bit injury prone while Gibson has reoccurring turf toe issues but broke for some big runs last season but has lost goal line work to Mckissic.
If you're between those two I'd lean Gibson probably. I think Washington's offense will take a step forward and I think Gibson individually will really break out. Najee Harris seems to be trending around that pick and I'd prefer him over either of those 2, FWIW. Harris will get a ton of volume and, from what we've seen so far, he can catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield, which Big Ben loves to utilize.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
If you're between those two I'd lean Gibson probably. I think Washington's offense will take a step forward and I think Gibson individually will really break out. Najee Harris seems to be trending around that pick and I'd prefer him over either of those 2, FWIW. Harris will get a ton of volume and, from what we've seen so far, he can catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield, which Big Ben loves to utilize.

oh ya i really want Harris before both of those guys but he seems to be going within the 4 picks before my 2nd round pick 90% of the time in my mocks. I know my league and everyone drafts RB heavy with the outliers of Kelce and Adams likely going before my 2nd pick.

I traded for gibson mid season in 2020 and I did really like what i saw from him in the back half. with Fitzmagic at the wheel he may have more opportunity. Ya you are probably right that Gibson would be the better bet.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Had my first draft Wednesday night in my main league. 10-team PPR, picked 6th.

QB: K Murray
WR: D Adams, T McLaurin, AJ Brown, A Brown, C Davis, J Meyers
RB: A Ekeler, D Henderson, Mostert, J Williams, N Hines, G Edwards
TE: T Hockenson
D: TBD
K: Prater

Reactions: DS7 and tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

a friendly analyst of your drafted players. no ill intent in my words or anything like that. I am just bored on a rainy day.

QB: A+

WR core A ridiculous depth with Adams/Mclaurin/Brown love the Davis and antonio picks and i bet you got them deep in the draft. Plus Davis is a #1 wideout on the Jets......his target share should be ridiculous.

RB core D I can tell you gave up a few rounds of RBs to get a solid WRcore and tier one QB. But it could work out for you. Ekeler should be a monster and Jamaal williams should get most of the goaline work for detoit. Henderson should be a #1 but with Sony coming in it may revert to a committee. Mostert is a wild card as he has never been able to play a whole season and Trey Sermon has a lot of hype coming out of traning camp.

TE: B+ his target share should be huge in detroit lets hope he can stay healthy.

D:

K: B+

Overall i would give your draft a solid B. I think the RB depth could be a bit of a struggle/concern for you if your league has two RB slots playing every week. esp if Ekeler misses any kind of time. Now if you only have one RB slot then i would say your draft would be more of a B+ for me. I know you didnt pick a defense but in a 10 person league its pretty easy to just waiver wire that with success.

Last edited:
Reactions: DS7

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
a friendly analyst of your drafted players. no ill intent in my words or anything like that. I am just bored on a rainy day.
Thanks... your line of thinking is pretty much exactly where I'm at. Knew RB would be my weak spot, but with the strength I have (I believe) at QB/WR and maybe TE, I hope it makes up for some lacking points there... Obviously this all assumes healthy players, but feel pretty good overall. Yea, I never draft D or K, not sure why I took a K - will prolly drop when waivers open tomorrow for a lotto ticket - because I usually play matchups anyway.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Thanks... your line of thinking is pretty much exactly where I'm at. Knew RB would be my weak spot, but with the strength I have (I believe) at QB/WR and maybe TE, I hope it makes up for some lacking points there... Obviously this all assumes healthy players, but feel pretty good overall. Yea, I never draft D or K, not sure why I took a K - will prolly drop when waivers open tomorrow for a lotto ticket - because I usually play matchups anyway.

i like what you did with yours at 6.

I think most of your options will be close to mine as i draft 5th in a 10 team ppr next weekend. Only things i personally will do different is a top 5 RB over adams in round one as i will have that option picking at 5 and probably let my qb position slide to a tier 2 qb (hopefully Dak or Wilson) and take the boom or bust qb option to hopefully get a solid RB2.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Just did my draft last night 12 team full-PPR. Picked 5th.

QB - K. Murray

WR - T. McLaurin, J. Jones, K. Golliday, D. Smith, M. Hardman, M. Williams, T. Marshall Jr.

RB - D. Henry, M. Gaskins, J. McKissic, G. Bernard

TE - D. Waller, H. Henry

D/ST - Washington Football Team

No kickers :(

1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 D type format. 6 Bench spots.

How did I do? I’ve been an active player for the last couple years, but I did next to no draft prep this year.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just did my draft last night 12 team full-PPR. Picked 5th.

QB - K. Murray

WR - T. McLaurin, J. Jones, K. Golliday, D. Smith, M. Hardman, M. Williams, T. Marshall Jr.

RB - D. Henry, M. Gaskins, J. McKissic, G. Bernard

TE - D. Waller, H. Henry

D/ST - Washington Football Team

No kickers :(

1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 D type format. 6 Bench spots.

How did I do? I’ve been an active player for the last couple years, but I did next to no draft prep this year.

that is a pretty decent haul for a 12 team league.

qb A+ nice pick up on a tier 1 qb who will run some in as well

wr B solid tandem of mclaurin who will see volume and Julio who will be great if he avoids any nagging injuries. Golladay will be a wild card but super high ceiling if he stays healthy.

rb C Henry will be a stud. Gaskins is a decent rb2 but the depth isn’t there for bye weeks or injury

Te A+ Waller will be a target monster as they should be playing from behind a majority of games.

Dst A. Washington should be a top defence

kicker you should be able to grab week by week and do ok.

Overall decent draft for a 12 man. Murray Henry, Julio, mclaurin and Waller should give you a great competitive edge each week.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

I put Gibson slightly above for the ceiling (He's personally my pick over Mixon, in PPR formats). Ron Rivera has made it known he wants to make Gibson into a Christian Mccaffrey type role, plus I trust Washington's offense and defense more to put him in more positive game scripts for the running back position. If i draft gibson, I do make sure to see if i can grab at least JD McKissic near the end of my drafts as insurance.

Mixon i think, is one of the few true bellcows left. I think it depends on how secure you feel about Zeke. Do you see Zeke as a high risk high reward play? then double down on volume with Mixon. Otherwise, if you view Zeke as a safe floor (I do), shoot for the stars with Gibson.

For the record, I was burned by Mixon last year, but I'm not holding his injuries against him the same way I would with say Saquon. There's more receivers this year for opposing teams to cover and the O-line is at least slightly improved. I think Mixon is still a solid choice in the 2nd.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
that is a pretty decent haul for a 12 team league.

qb A+ nice pick up on a tier 1 qb who will run some in as well

wr B solid tandem of mclaurin who will see volume and Julio who will be great if he avoids any nagging injuries. Golladay will be a wild card but super high ceiling if he stays healthy.

rb C Henry will be a stud. Gaskins is a decent rb2 but the depth isn’t there for bye weeks or injury

Te A+ Waller will be a target monster as they should be playing from behind a majority of games.

Dst A. Washington should be a top defence

kicker you should be able to grab week by week and do ok.

Overall decent draft for a 12 man. Murray Henry, Julio, mclaurin and Waller should give you a great competitive edge each week.

Yeah, I was pretty satisfied with my early rounds. The depth positions is where I struggled.

Definitely lacking in the RB depth. A Gibson injury could make McKissic a decent RB2 option. And Gio is a pure plug and play if I have nobody else. Maybe I’ll get lucky on the wire :laugh:

This is a no-kicker league. I think it’s bologna, but I’m not the commish.

Last edited:

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Have a draft tonight in a 12 team .5 PPR, picking 1st. Talking McCaffrey #1, but the question is what is the best strategy for my next two picks (which aren’t till 24/25)?

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Have a draft tonight in a 12 team .5 PPR, picking 1st. Talking McCaffrey #1, but the question is what is the best strategy for my next two picks (which aren’t till 24/25)?

maybe I’m out to lunch, but if you can grab one of the top 3 TE’s (Kittle, Waller, Kelce won’t be there) that’s what I would do.

If you miss out on those guys, you’re hoping for Hockenson/Andrew’s/Pitts in the later rounds.

Worrying about TE’s throughout the season is exhausting.

I hate picking 1st, the wait between picks 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 are too much.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
maybe I’m out to lunch, but if you can grab one of the top 3 TE’s (Kittle, Waller, Kelce won’t be there) that’s what I would do.

If you miss out on those guys, you’re hoping for Hockenson/Andrew’s/Pitts in the later rounds.

Worrying about TE’s throughout the season is exhausting.

I hate picking 1st, the wait between picks 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 are too much.

I concur with this. If I get 1st OA. I'll go with Rb/Waller or Kelce on the turn.

Kittle I'm not too high on this yr

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Ended up with the following (12 team .5 ppr picked 1st)

Qb: Hurts, Cousins*

RB: McCaffrey, CEH, D. Harris, S. Michel, C. Hubbard

WR: A. Thielen, A. Brown (TB), T. Boyd, M. Hardman, T.Y. Hilton

TE: Kittle

Def: Baltimore

K: Koo

*Wasn’t intending to get 2 QB’s but got auto drafted cousins because I had to attend to something during my pick (rookie mistake I know)

Was one pick away from Waller, and Kelce was already gone so I figured I had to get one of the big 3 TE.

I don’t love my WR group but it’s not the worst thing either.

Curious to hear what you guys think

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Ended up with the following (12 team .5 ppr picked 1st)

Qb: Hurts, Cousins*

RB: McCaffrey, CEH, D. Harris, S. Michel, C. Hubbard

WR: A. Thielen, A. Brown (TB), T. Boyd, M. Hardman, T.Y. Hilton

TE: Kittle

Def: Baltimore

K: Koo

*Wasn’t intending to get 2 QB’s but got auto drafted cousins because I had to attend to something during my pick (rookie mistake I know)

Was one pick away from Waller, and Kelce was already gone so I figured I had to get one of the big 3 TE.

I don’t love my WR group but it’s not the worst thing either.

Curious to hear what you guys think

Really like your RB core. Elite 1-2, with Max Jones potentially getting the job in New England Damien Harris is a great choice for your RB3. Plus the handcuff with Chubba. And Sony Michel in case Hendersen gets hurt.

QBs are decent. I'm not as high on Hurts as others due to the uncertainty in the Philly offense, but I can see the pathway to him becoming great, he has the potential to be Lamar lite. You did well pairing him with Kirk Cousins who has a favorable schedule to start the season.

TE, defense, kicker. No complaints. A-Tier. Pretty much set and forget options.

WR like you said, is an area of weakness. But is the easiest position to improve. To start the season I think it's serviceable, especially with a kirk/thielen stack week 1. What does your waiver wire look like at WR? Personally I would drop Hardman and TY Hilton for better options like Russell Gage, AJ Green, Amon St Ra, Rondale Moore or Bryan Edwards. To name a few undrafted WRs available at end of my mocks

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Really like your RB core. Elite 1-2, with Max Jones potentially getting the job in New England Damien Harris is a great choice for your RB3. Plus the handcuff with Chubba. And Sony Michel in case Hendersen gets hurt.

QBs are decent. I'm not as high on Hurts as others due to the uncertainty in the Philly offense, but I can see the pathway to him becoming great, he has the potential to be Lamar lite. You did well pairing him with Kirk Cousins who has a favorable schedule to start the season.

TE, defense, kicker. No complaints. A-Tier. Pretty much set and forget options.

WR like you said, is an area of weakness. But is the easiest position to improve. To start the season I think it's serviceable, especially with a kirk/thielen stack week 1. What does your waiver wire look like at WR? Personally I would drop Hardman and TY Hilton for better options like Russell Gage, AJ Green, Amon St Ra, Rondale Moore or Bryan Edwards. To name a few undrafted WRs available at end of my mocks
Thank you for the kind words. I was also 2 picks away from landing Herbert which sucks but getting hurts (and ultimately cousins) I think/hope pays off.

And as far as waiver WR’s the top ones out there are Crowder, Sheppard, Gage, Bateman, E. Sanders, St. Brown, all of Arizona’s WR’s not named DHop…..so there’s definitely options. Hardman/Hilton were 2 of my 3 final picks, with Hilton being the last one. I seriously debated Sheppard over him but I admittedly am not sure how that Giants offense is gonna look.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Solid team for sure! Kyler should be a slam-dunk QB pick, 3 starting RB's with some solid depth RBs after that. Strong WRs, and I love Hockenson at the TE spot.

stupendousman

Jun 25, 2008
Richmond, BC
Would you take Kamara or Cook at 2oa? I keep going back and forth between the two. Not sure if Winston will use Kamara like Brees did (but the MT targets have to go somewhere) and Cook's injuries are a concern.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Would you take Kamara or Cook at 2oa? I keep going back and forth between the two. Not sure if Winston will use Kamara like Brees did (but the MT targets have to go somewhere) and Cook's injuries are a concern.

I'm still leaning Cook because I think Minny has the more potent offense that will give Cook room to work. He's already familiar with his QB and systems, opposing teams have more weapons to account for.(Who to cover? Jefferson, Thielen, Cook?) Similar situation to Derrick Henry with Tenn. Can't stack boxes on him with Julio and AJ Brown now.

Kamara with Winston is best case scenario for him, because of the check downs. He will get almost none from Taysom, and with the 1A-1B situation going on down there it adds another layer of uncertainty. I just have more question marks with the Saints offense since MT is gone and we don't know how effective it is without MT or Brees. Calloway looks like a great deal now but for now I'm assuming every defense is just focusing on Kamara. Tougher for him. I still think he is a top 3 pick.

Personally my rank rn in ppr is:

1. CMC
2. Cook
3. Kamara
4 Henry

I do agree with Cook and his injury history, so i always make sure to snag Mattison at the later rounds of my drafts.

Last edited:

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for the kind words. I was also 2 picks away from landing Herbert which sucks but getting hurts (and ultimately cousins) I think/hope pays off.

And as far as waiver WR’s the top ones out there are Crowder, Sheppard, Gage, Bateman, E. Sanders, St. Brown, all of Arizona’s WR’s not named DHop…..so there’s definitely options. Hardman/Hilton were 2 of my 3 final picks, with Hilton being the last one. I seriously debated Sheppard over him but I admittedly am not sure how that Giants offense is gonna look.

Dems the breaks sometimes haha, we work with what the draft gives us! in this case, the Cousins pick will help you out early on.

I personally would pickup Gage ( he has the Calvin Ridley role from last year now ) and either Rondale Moore (#2 receiving option in Arizona) or Amon-ra St. Brown (could be #1 in Detroit). The last hits you want are high upside guys and I don't see TY Hilton out performing Pittman or Campbell for touches and I most definitely don't see Hardman doing anything substantial. I forgot where i heard this so take this for what you will, but WR2s in Kansas City historically don't have good fantasy performance, plus too many mouths to feed in Tyreek, Kelce, CEH on too many weeks to be reliable.

Also Mecole let me down for years haha, so this could be fantasy spite talking too.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Dems the breaks sometimes haha, we work with what the draft gives us! in this case, the Cousins pick will help you out early on.

I personally would pickup Gage ( he has the Calvin Ridley role from last year now ) and either Rondale Moore (#2 receiving option in Arizona) or Amon-ra St. Brown (could be #1 in Detroit). The last hits you want are high upside guys and I don't see TY Hilton out performing Pittman or Campbell for touches and I most definitely don't see Hardman doing anything substantial. I forgot where i heard this so take this for what you will, but WR2s in Kansas City historically don't have good fantasy performance, plus too many mouths to feed in Tyreek, Kelce, CEH on too many weeks to be reliable.

Also Mecole let me down for years haha, so this could be fantasy spite talking too.

Throughout the whole Hill/Watkins tenure in KC, Watkins was never a reliable play. Even if Hill was injured it became a total committee. You could play Watkins/Robinson/Hardman but you never knew which one.

MeCole is a lot like Tyreek where he’ll go on these 30-40 yd runs. Can make something out of a whole lot of nothing. His issue in the past, I find, was his hands. Too many drops. If he improves there, and his new WR2 status on KC, he should have a better fantasy year this year. IIRC he had like 6 TDs in his rookie season. I took a chance on him late, but I’m biased, I like the Chiefs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad