Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
But do you draft for safer bets in the top-5?

Me personally I wouldnt, Id go for high-end potential and I think Luke's skating can raise that above Brandt's offensive game. He just hasnt hit that stage in his body development yet where his edges and footwork take off (see Jack and Quinn when they turned 19-20)

Elite skating does not equal higher upside than an elite combination of passing/shooting/puckhandling/hockey IQ.

This is not a knock on Luke Hughes. He is an excellent passer and puck-handler with room to grow, and he's also got a pretty good shot. But you need to look at the other player and not just hone in on Luke Hughes if you are truly to have a prudent and logical opinion on the matter.

Brandt Clarke might have the best hands in the draft -- including forwards. I do not believe I have ever seen the player with the best hands in the draft coming from the blueline. Combined with an awareness which is so high level it can almost be called "unique", Brandt Clarke has a spectacular ability to dangle the puck from high-traffic areas to open ice using his edges, hands and incredible instincts to find daylight. Though Clarke is not close to a transitional skater to Hughes -- who can explode into full acceleration to get in the clear -- Clarke is as precise and creative an outlet passer as you will see. Once in the offensive zone, Clarke is clearly superior to any defenseman in the 2021 draft -- routinely turning opposing forwards inside out, when all he needs is a split second to rifle a shot top corner or send a radar-like cross-ice feed onto a teammate's tape.

If you feel that Luke Hughes is a special talent, this is a solid opinion. I feel the same way, as does most everybody who analyzes the NHL Draft. But the implication that Brandt Clarke is somehow not a special player because you prefer Hughes is simply not true. Brandt Clarke's offensive upside is right there with Hughes this year, and Jamie Drysdale last year. These are all special talents.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I want clarke if we go dman and guenther or eklund if offense. If we have to settle for anyone else, we’re still getting a good player. Hopefully we stay in the 4th spot or move up a little and get who we want. Either way, given our position, we’re getting a good player to be stoked about.

Unless we draft the zacha of this draft, in that case buckle up.

I feel that's Edvinsson. He's routinely ranked far higher than his skill set would seem to indicate because he's very big and fast (like Zacha). I like him as a prospect for certain, but drafting him over players he's often ranked above -- like Power, Clarke or Hughes -- seems downright insane to me. He has not dominated any level of hockey and has not been notable at all in the current U-18 tournament vs. players his own age.

I certainly would draft Edvinsson in the teens -- I think he'll be a good, mid-pairing NHL-er with great size and skating. But if someone reaches for him in the top 5 and passes on a Clarke or Guenther, I feel it will be a decision they regret for a very long time.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's more of just a projection issue. Some folks see Clarke as a significantly better prospect than Hughes. In that instance, they are going to advocate for Clarke and see a Hughes pick as pandering. I haven't watched either guy and can't opine on that but to me, it's only an issue if you see them in different tiers as prospects. Of course, the marketing element is going to appeal to ownership, and probably the GM as well, who has an easier job if the arena is full and the team has secondary revenue streams and sponsorships with the increased media profile of two Hughes brothers playing for the team. My guess is NJ doesn't get the chance to draft either when all is said and done. I expect Powers, Hughes, and Clarke to go 1-2-3 based on a lot of what I'm reading.

Clarke's draft position is certainly on the upswing with his stellar performance at the current U-18 tournament. Hughes might feel a slight dip due to his season-ending injury, even though this is no fault of his own. Power is the consensus highest ranked prospect, essentially finding himself #1 overall in virtually half of the major rankings. Any of these three players would be a huge boon to the future of the New Jersey Devils.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There are 7 skaters I would be thrilled with, because I would also include Kent Johnson in the list. But I feel Brandt Clarke is the optimal choice -- he is a true difference maker offensively, and would immediately become the most gifted RD in franchise history.

Really? The most gifted RD in franchise history? How soon we forget.....

My3Sons

Sponsor
Clarke's draft position is certainly on the upswing with his stellar performance at the current U-18 tournament. Hughes might feel a slight dip due to his season-ending injury, even though this is no fault of his own. Power is the consensus highest ranked prospect, essentially finding himself #1 overall in virtually half of the major rankings. Any of these three players would be a huge boon to the future of the New Jersey Devils.

It's hard to see a team pass on Power at 1. He just ticks too many boxes for an NHL team. And Clarke plays a premium position in RD and with his U-18 in what is a challenging draft he will be attractive to almost any team. Finally, I think most GMs will see Hughes as a safe pick and maybe worth a bit of off ice attention for the team. With no sure fire game breaking forward available I can see the success of Quinn and Jack being enough to sway an NHL team that Luke will be a top NHL player when all is said and one. Ultimately the lottery will define how this shakes out and as you've posted, different teams have different tendencies and don't simply draft based on upside. I agree that Buffalo might pass on a Hughes if they have Dahlin for example. My guess is that the lottery shakes up the draft and NJ ends up at six or seven. They'll get a very good player based on what you've explained, but it likely won't be one of the three defenders. Just my guess. Hopefully NJ gets their top choice, whoever that may be.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I understand the hockey reasoning; I just dont see ownership and Fitz passing on Luke when im willing to bet they have the three dmen all very closely ranked.

This is the same GM who said he thinks Jack can be a center long-term and be defensively strong (predraft) because of his skating; Luke has that and more reach, so the knock on his defensive game is very much overblown IMO

again though I wasnt arguing the hockey differences between Luke and Brandt. Mainly that I suspect they have both ranked closely and I think theyll value pairing up the Hughes bros more than whatever slight difference Clarke brings

Again, I'm forced to chime in. Drafting the most offensively gifted RD in franchise history could not be considered a "slight difference". It's a cataclysmic difference Devils fans have been waiting four decades for.

Similarly, the Devils did not draft Jack Hughes simply because of his skating. Jack Hughes combined his elite skating with elite hands, passing and offensive awareness, with a unique ability to gain the offensive zone with speed and possession, and a penchant for creating high-danger offensive opportunities out of seemingly thin air. Skating is a piece of the Jack Hughes picture and a big one, but he is also an amazing hockey player.

Last edited:
Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If we pass on Zackary L'Huereux and let Boston get him to Marchand types on one team damn....:help:

Except Othmann is just as deadly at sniping goals, also plays with an edge, and has a far higher level of maturity and consistency than L'Heureux. This is a really deep draft at LW -- I also considered Chibrikov, Rosen and Olausson for the Devils pick at #22 and they would all be good picks at that spot.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Except Othmann is just as deadly at sniping goals, also plays with an edge, and has a far higher level of maturity and consistency than L'Heureux. This is a really deep draft at LW -- I also considered Chibrikov, Rosen and Olausson for the Devils pick at #22 and they would all be good picks at that spot.

I notice you are really stressing a forward at the NYI pick. If NJ gets a forward with their pick do you foresee any defender with the NYI pick worth taking there or do you expect any defender selected there to be a reach? Two forwards in the first round seems like a bit of overkill when you consider the NJ prospect pool. I'd be interested in a goalie over a forward with the second pick if there is one with first round talent. Right now, NJ's best goalie prospect might be Schmid. Maybe Daws but it's early for him. Either way, a top goalie prospect might be a good choice if one is worthy of a late first rounder. You might get the second goalie selected with the NYI pick.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I notice you are really stressing a forward at the NYI pick. If NJ gets a forward with their pick do you foresee any defender with the NYI pick worth taking there or do you expect any defender selected there to be a reach? Two forwards in the first round seems like a bit of overkill when you consider the NJ prospect pool. I'd be interested in a goalie over a forward with the second pick if there is one with first round talent. Right now, NJ's best goalie prospect might be Schmid. Maybe Daws but it's early for him. Either way, a top goalie prospect might be a good choice if one is worthy of a late first rounder. You might get the second goalie selected with the NYI pick.
Oh hey ! Someone else on board for a goalie wiht the Islanders pick !! If one of Cossa and Wallstedt is still there I would be all over that. If not , I would hope we go forward . I hae to do some reading as I am sure Steven has made some previous posts about who the Devils "should" target with the Islanders pick.
I am hoping one of Pinelli McTavish Raty L'Heureux would be there but I think Pinelli and McTavish have moved up teams depth chart to put them in the late teens?

I hope we get one of Clarke Power Hughes withour pick .
I can see Buffalo go D , Sens should go C as they have Stutzle on wing , lack any true 1/2 line C's , have decent D core already. Seattle I can see go C but also very high chance they go D. I cant see them go winger but build from the back end or down the middle... I am guessing we need ot pick 5th to make sure we get one of the 3 D. Oh well , we wil get a good player at any rate but I just want the player that will make the Devils the best team possible , as soon as possible.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Might have been mentioned elsewhere, but NHL Network will have the USA/Sweden quarterfinal game from the U18s tonight (9pm EST).

Thanks for this, @Brodeur ! Here are some players to watch with the Devils draft interests in mind:

Sweden:
LD Anton Olsson (2nd round)
LW Isak Rosen (Islanders pick)
LW Simon Robertsson (Islanders pick)
LW William Stromgren (2nd round)
C Liam Dower-Nilsson (4th/5th round)

USA:
LD Sean Behrens (2nd round)
LD Ty Murchison (3rd/4th round)
LW Justin Janicke (3rd/4th round)
LW Sasha Pastujov (Islanders pick)
RW Tyler Boucher (2nd/3rd round)
LD Aidan Hreschuk (2nd/3rd round)
RD Jake Martin (5th-7th round)
C Red Savage (2nd/3rd round)
RD Ty Gallagher (3rd/4th round)
C/LW Dylan Duke (Islanders pick/2nd round)
RD Roman Schmidt (3rd/4th round)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Thanks for this, @Brodeur ! Here are some players to watch with the Devils draft interests in mind:

Sweden:
LD Anton Olsson (2nd round)
LW Isak Rosen (Islanders pick)
LW Simon Robertsson (Islanders pick)
LW William Stromgren (2nd round)
C Liam Dower-Nilsson (4th/5th round)

USA:
LD Sean Behrens (2nd round)
LD Ty Murchison (3rd/4th round)
LW Justin Janicke (3rd/4th round)
LW Sasha Pastujov (Islanders pick)
RW Tyler Boucher (2nd/3rd round)
LD Aidan Hreschuk (2nd/3rd round)
RD Jake Martin (5th-7th round)
C Red Savage (2nd/3rd round)
RD Ty Gallagher (3rd/4th round)
C/LW Dylan Duke (Islanders pick/2nd round)
RD Roman Schmidt (3rd/4th round)
Olsson looks like somebody who could be a 1st rounder but I don’t think we should take him with our second pick. I can’t see it happening but if he got to the Islanders 2nd round pick we should take him all day. Unless an even better player falls obviously.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I didnt know that Hughes is one of the youngest players in the draft. He is just 6 days away from being in the 2022 draft...
I think that is somewhat overlooked?
He is considered very close in skill to players that are nearly a year older.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think we should take Gaudreau in the second round if he’s still there he’s a really good prospect. I’d rather that than taking Cossa in the first.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think we should take Gaudreau in the second round if he’s still there he’s a really good prospect. I’d rather that than taking Cossa in the first.
Ya its hard to justify taking a goalie in the first. But the only reason why I consider it is because we already have one pick in the first , otherwise no way in hell would i want to go goalie in the first.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Everything you say makes sense, for certain.

This is my opinion, and nothing more -- the idea that the Devils will target a top 6 LW with the Islanders pick. What also factored into my opinion is that the 2021 is deeper at LW than any other position. What this means is that you can really catch lightning in a bottle with your #22 overall pick at that position more than any other. Some of the names being bandied about -- Pastujov, Robertsson, Othmann, Rosen, Chibrikov -- have seriously terrific potential. With D, if Ceulemans and Svozil do not fall to #22 there's really not a ton of difference between the next 10 D on the list. Why take a chance on RD Morrow at #22 when RD with similar upside like Heimosalmi and Mailloux might be available in the 2nd or even 3rd round? This is not even taking into account steady, two-way RD like Jack Bar and Vincent Iorio.

LD is a bit deeper, but my opinion remains -- why reach for Chayka at #22 when the 2nd/3rd and even 4th rounds will have names like Olsson, Kirsanov, Lukashevich, Grushnikov, Buium, Behrens, Nause, Allan, Hreschuk and Peart?

So, this was my mind-set; of course I have no idea if it's the correct one or completely in tune with the Devils strategy.

Reactions: My3Sons and nugg

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ya its hard to justify taking a goalie in the first. But the only reason why I consider it is because we already have one pick in the first , otherwise no way in hell would i want to go goalie in the first.
Ya I haven’t seen much of Cossa tbh but watching Canada at the u18’s Gaudreau looks really good and if we can get him in the second I’d love that.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steven - Is Cossa going to be snapped up before the Islanders pick? I know its hard to say for sure , but in your opinion , might he be around still ?

In the mock draft you just posted on, I had the Devils taking LW Brennan Othmann at #22 and Minnesota taking Cossa at #25, so yes I think he could be around. But I feel the Devils need top 6 wingers more than a goalie at this point, and Cossa is likely 4 to 5 years away which may be a lot for Fitzgerald to wait on a first round pick with daylight finally appearing at the end of the Devils rebuild tunnel.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I don't want to give much away about my May rankings which I've been busting my butt on, but let's just say Brandt Clarke is #2 overall and save the rest for later.
He's my 1b with Beniers 1a ONLY because the transition of forwards is easier to project. He would almost certainly be in my contention for top 3 of last years draft as well personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad