Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
A player can certainly be rushed; I just dont think it hampers their ability to improve.

also a player being rushed usually has more to do with their specific playstyle and mindset more than if they simply cant stick or not. Pavel coming out as a 6th overall bigger body player who scores is, most likely, one rushed if playing in the league at 19. I just wouldnt make the argument it negatively affected him; I think the situation involving his father as well as Hynes' treatment of him was what delayed what we see now.
I think coming in too early can definitely affect a player longer term. If the player comes in too young before they’re ready and struggles to make an impact it can bring their confidence down and I think that’s something that can be really hard to get past even as they get older. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that could’ve negatively affected Zacha’s development. Zacha never even dominated in the OHL or the World juniors really before jumping to the NHL. Maybe if he had another good year in the O, another World juniors and maybe even a good year in the AHL he might’ve come in as a further developed and more confident 20 or 21 year old and could’ve had more of an impact giving him confidence going forward.

Reactions: mdj12784

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think coming in too early can definitely affect a player longer term. If the player comes in too young before they’re ready and struggles to make an impact it can bring their confidence down and I think that’s something that can be really hard to get past even as they get older. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that could’ve negatively affected Zacha’s development. Zacha never even dominated in the OHL or the World juniors really before jumping to the NHL. Maybe if he had another good year in the O, another World juniors and maybe even a good year in the AHL he might’ve come in as a further developed and more confident 20 or 21 year old and could’ve had more of an impact giving him confidence going forward.
While definitely fair and logical, Ive begun separating confidence and 'being rushed' in terms of young guys in the NHL.

I understand fully that they correlate; I just dont think its a direct Relation, or causation

Confidence can be hampered by a multitude of things; one being, in this example, Zachas father not being around to inspire and push him. This would have happened whether he went to the O another year and then the A.

for a lot of Euros (or long distance NAmericans), just the move alone away from friends and family can be tough.

ive recently decided I dont think its fair to always assume 'oh he was rushed', because what does that honestly mean? If I had to describe being rushed in pro sports, itd be based on fit and physique. Confidence is a huge play but someones mental cant be quantified or, if negative impacted, determined to be an effect of being rushed

Maybe im just wordsmithing or trying too hard to have a different opinion from the norm to try and make sense of it.

I just think its a bit of an easy copout to always assume a player was rushed, when in reality, most of these players come out (like Jack) and say the experience was great for them and they learned things they couldnt have anywhere else.

edit; ill also add one thing. I think the biggest reason why I sometimes want a player to stay down is for playing time. Increased repetition so to speak

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I agree in that I think Zacha was rushed somewhat .
Comfidence is a huge part of his game , moreso than some others I think . He was playing safe and almost scared so he wouldn’t get scratched. That’s why I really like what Ruff is doing . Letting the kids play and develop and try different things while not being scared if they don’t make the safe simple play they will get demoted. Hold them responsible but don’t have the kids playing in fear

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I agree in that I think Zacha was rushed somewhat .
Comfidence is a huge part of his game , moreso than some others I think . He was playing safe and almost scared so he wouldn’t get scratched. That’s why I really like what Ruff is doing . Letting the kids play and develop and try different things while not being scared if they don’t make the safe simple play they will get demoted. Hold them responsible but don’t have the kids playing in fear
He was scared of being scratched because he was getting scratched. He shouldn't have played that first year with the Devils. There was no need for it. I hate people writing him off when he just turned 24.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
It took to long to figure out that Zacha wasn't a center, he doesn't have the innate ability to scratch his head and tummy at the same time aka he cannot be a playmaker and a shooter at the same time.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Is there any area in which Hughes is superior to Clarke besides skating? If not, I prefer the player who has demonstrated early on that he excels in various facets of the game. The fact that Clarke plays the right side considering that position is such a glaring need ..it’s just a perfect fit.

By no means am I crapping on Hughes. By all accounts, his future does seem to be bright and he has pedigree working for him hopefully. If Clarke is off the board, I would be delighted to have him. With that said, give me the player who has a more refined and already stellar game, albeit it early, as opposed to a the player who is more of a projection.

On another topic- how does Clarke compare to Drysdale? Just curious....how do they stack up and compare? IE- who gets the nod in each important category?

Skating: Drysdale by a lot
IQ: Even
Compete: Drysdale, slightly
Defense: Drysdale, slightly
Passing/Vision: Clarke
Hands: Clarke by a lot
Shot: Even
Physicality: Drysdale

I give the overall edge to Drysdale, but it's close.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He was scared of being scratched because he was getting scratched. He shouldn't have played that first year with the Devils. There was no need for it. I hate people writing him off when he just turned 24.
Lou drafted him because he was the most NHL ready (size could handle the NHL) . That off-season Zajac had a major injury so we were more or less screwed at C. They were so thin at C they had to use him that year .

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille