Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
I don't think of them that way at all.
Theyre the same size and both are offensive dmen; ones better in his zone ones a better skater

thats not enough difference in style to be ignoring brothers to your franchise superstar IMO

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah I agree. I think that everyone would be disappointed in Jack's position if your team have change t0 pick your brother and they take another player which is almost same level.
Ya it’s fair to be disappointed but he should understand that Fitz is just trying to do what’s best for the team and create a winner. Jack wants to win too.

Reactions: Figgie

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You clearly aren’t reading what I’m saying. There’s nothing immature about wanting to play with his brother. It’s immature to be offended by the devils taking someone who they think is better. For the third time, what is offensive about it?

Let’s see if you’ll actually read what I’m saying and answer that question this time.

You aren't wrong in my view, but this is starting to get into semantics and people define words differently at times. I agree Jack shouldn't take offense to passing on his brother in the draft. I agree he knows it's a business and he probably would limit his feelings to disappointment. That said, he's basically still a kid. He's 20. If he's close with his brothers, which seems to be the case, it's something worth taking into account if the franchise wants to build around him. Happy Jack means happy team...or something like that.

I think that the small market teams have to foster something beyond a business atmosphere to make players want to play there. Make it player friendly and treat them well and eventually that will pay off in terms of players wanting to stay when their RFA deals are up and maybe even their buddies wanting to play there. If I recall correctly, wasn't Murray happy to come to NJ because he's buddies with Severson? I think that NJ did a low key version of this with Siegenthaler being buddies with Nico. I think the team has done a low key version of this with having Nico play with Zacha and Bratt. This is all good stuff. I would be disappointed if Fitz picked Luke Hughes if he had Clarke as a materially better prospect and both were available with the pick. But, if the team has both as equivalent picks and the tie breakers are positional need or family ties, I'd be ok with either one since they are tie breakers.

As a parent, my kids playing together would matter to me. Every family relationship is different, but the Hughes dad was a pro player and wears the swag from the agency representing at least one of the boys. My guess is mom and dad have more say in how this plays out than the average hockey family. Again, if Jack is the face of the franchise, why not go out of your way to make it work for him if it's little to no skin off the franchise back? Just my thoughts.....

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Theyre the same size and both are offensive dmen; ones better in his zone ones a better skater

thats not enough difference in style to be ignoring brothers to your franchise superstar IMO

My understanding is that aside from Luke being an elite skater (and Brandt merely being an above average skater), Brandt has much more offensive ability, better passing, and better hands.

With Luke, he's very young, almost too young for the draft class, so you're hoping he develops some of those things, while Brandt already has them. Luke might work out fine, but Brandt seems like the much safer bet, and plays a position of greater need to boot.

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
You clearly aren’t reading what I’m saying. There’s nothing immature about wanting to play with his brother. It’s immature to be offended by the devils taking someone who they think is better. For the third time, what is offensive about it?

Let’s see if you’ll actually read what I’m saying and answer that question this time.
So now Jacks personal opinions and feelings are immature? So when a superior figure in his life makes a decision he doesnt like, he cant have emotions about it because thats 'immature'?

Focus less on seeing what I read and more on finding a dictionary and looking up the words 'love' and 'family' because Im not sure you understand what they mean

and please, take a f***ing hike with the 'you arent reading'. ive seen you comment twice now that I

- put down Clarke (ive never even commented on him as a player, I was making fun of his name but comprehension clearly isnt your strong suit)

- claiming I said Jack would have emotions TOWARD Fitzgerald specifically for doing his job

dont bother responding btw, im so immature I blocked you

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You aren't wrong in my view, but this is starting to get into semantics and people define words differently at times. I agree Jack shouldn't take offense to passing on his brother in the draft. I agree he knows it's a business and he probably would limit his feelings to disappointment. That said, he's basically still a kid. He's 20. If he's close with his brothers, which seems to be the case, it's something worth taking into account if the franchise wants to build around him. Happy Jack means happy team...or something like that.

I think that the small market teams have to foster something beyond a business atmosphere to make players want to play there. Make it player friendly and treat them well and eventually that will pay off in terms of players wanting to stay when their RFA deals are up and maybe even their buddies wanting to play there. If I recall correctly, wasn't Murray happy to come to NJ because he's buddies with Severson? I think that NJ did a low key version of this with Siegenthaler being buddies with Nico. I think the team has done a low key version of this with having Nico play with Zacha and Bratt. This is all good stuff. I would be disappointed if Fitz picked Luke Hughes if he had Clarke as a materially better prospect and both were available with the pick. But, if the team has both as equivalent picks and the tie breakers are positional need or family ties, I'd be ok with either one since they are tie breakers.

As a parent, my kids playing together would matter to me. Every family relationship is different, but the Hughes dad was a pro player and wears the swag from the agency representing at least one of the boys. My guess is mom and dad have more say in how this plays out than the average hockey family. Again, if Jack is the face of the franchise, why not go out of your way to make it work for him if it's little to no skin off the franchise back? Just my thoughts.....
Agree with most of this. If it comes down to it and the devils have them neck and neck then yes take Jack’s brother. It would also bring a lot of attention to the devils which is good. If Fitz thinks Clarke is better that’s who he should take and I don’t expect Jack to be offended. Disappointed sure.

I think that atmosphere you’re talking about is a good thing as long as it doesn’t go too far. Teams probably try to find a healthy middle ground. You don’t want it to take place over bringing the best players in that help the team win and most players care more about winning than playing with somebody because reality is the players all become good friends anyways. I think Zacha, Bratt and Hischier are just playing together because they work together Ruff didn’t start them together or anything he just tried it eventually and it worked.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
My understanding is that aside from Luke being an elite skater (and Brandt merely being an above average skater), Brandt has much more offensive ability, better passing, and better hands.

With Luke, he's very young, almost too young for the draft class, so you're hoping he develops some of those things, while Brandt already has them. Luke might work out fine, but Brandt seems like the much safer bet, and plays a position of greater need to boot.
But do you draft for safer bets in the top-5?

Me personally I wouldnt, Id go for high-end potential and I think Luke's skating can raise that above Brandt's offensive game. He just hasnt hit that stage in his body development yet where his edges and footwork take off (see Jack and Quinn when they turned 19-20)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So now Jacks personal opinions and feelings are immature? So when a superior figure in his life makes a decision he doesnt like, he cant have emotions about it because thats 'immature'?

Focus less on seeing what I read and more on finding a dictionary and looking up the words 'love' and 'family' because Im not sure you understand what they mean

and please, take a f***ing hike with the 'you arent reading'. ive seen you comment twice now that I

- put down Clarke (ive never even commented on him as a player, I was making fun of his name but comprehension clearly isnt your strong suit)

- claiming I said Jack would have emotions TOWARD Fitzgerald specifically for doing his job

dont bother responding btw, im so immature I blocked you
Once again you didn’t read what I’ve said. It’s reasonable for jack to be disappointed. He shouldn’t be offended or mad at the devils for doing what they think is best for the organization.
I have a great family that I love very much btw.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Agree with most of this. If it comes down to it and the devils have them neck and neck then yes take Jack’s brother. It would also bring a lot of attention to the devils which is good. If Fitz thinks Clarke is better that’s who he should take and I don’t expect Jack to be offended. Disappointed sure.

It think that atmosphere you’re talking about is a good think as long as it doesn’t go too far. Teams probably try to find a healthy middle ground. You don’t want it to take place over bringing the best players in that help the team win and most players care more about winning than playing with somebody because reality is the players all become good friends anyways. I think Zacha, Bratt and Hischier are just playing together because they work together Ruff didn’t start them together or anything he just tried it eventually and it worked.

You are probably right about Zacha Nico and Bratt, but I think it ultimately works, in part, because they care for and play better together because they have some bond and same wavelength communication. Again, it's low-key. Same with a Siegenthaler. If Nico's buddy can carve out a third pair role why not let him try. I agree it's a balance, but in my view, it's not that hard to make it work. You pick and choose your spots to go the extra distance. Jack and Nico are the two guys you do it for now. Maybe somebody else warrants it at some point. As always, the wildcards are the agents. Both Zacha and Bratt's agents were not thrilled with how their first RFA contracts were handled. That said, both guys seem to be paid fairly in the scheme of the league. If Zacha has another good scoring year next season the Devils will have a decision to make on him. Same with Bratt. If they are happy with the team and want to play with Nico, you offer them solid money and you have five years of a top six line tied up. That's pretty solid.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021

Some people see their sports teams as robots who are simply there for our viewing pleasure. Theyre usually the same people who do things like attack a players' character for leaving teams based on family or personal reasons

Im willing to bet that crowd of people havent the slightest idea how much itd mean to this teams marketability and Jack (as well Luke, his family, and their agent) to pair those two
together

youd think Luke Hughes is some 20-30th ranked guy were reaching for based on his name. In reality, Fitzgerald is still going to favor the connection just as any GM would do to make their franchise talent happy

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I want clarke if we go dman and guenther or eklund if offense. If we have to settle for anyone else, we’re still getting a good player. Hopefully we stay in the 4th spot or move up a little and get who we want. Either way, given our position, we’re getting a good player to be stoked about.

Unless we draft the zacha of this draft, in that case buckle up.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Some people see their sports teams as robots who are simply there for our viewing pleasure. Theyre usually the same people who do things like attack a players' character for leaving teams based on family or personal reasons

Im willing to bet that crowd of people havent the slightest idea how much itd mean to this teams marketability and Jack (as well Luke, his family, and their agent) to pair those two
together

youd think Luke Hughes is some 20-30th ranked guy were reaching for based on his name. In reality, Fitzgerald is still going to favor the connection just as any GM would do to make their franchise talent happy

I think it's more of just a projection issue. Some folks see Clarke as a significantly better prospect than Hughes. In that instance, they are going to advocate for Clarke and see a Hughes pick as pandering. I haven't watched either guy and can't opine on that but to me, it's only an issue if you see them in different tiers as prospects. Of course, the marketing element is going to appeal to ownership, and probably the GM as well, who has an easier job if the arena is full and the team has secondary revenue streams and sponsorships with the increased media profile of two Hughes brothers playing for the team. My guess is NJ doesn't get the chance to draft either when all is said and done. I expect Powers, Hughes, and Clarke to go 1-2-3 based on a lot of what I'm reading.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
I think it's more of just a projection issue. Some folks see Clarke as a significantly better prospect than Hughes. In that instance, they are going to advocate for Clarke and see a Hughes pick as pandering. I haven't watched either guy and can't opine on that but to me, it's only an issue if you see them in different tiers as prospects. Of course, the marketing element is going to appeal to ownership, and probably the GM as well, who has an easier job if the arena is full and the team has secondary revenue streams and sponsorships with the increased media profile of two Hughes brothers playing for the team. My guess is NJ doesn't get the chance to draft either when all is said and done. I expect Powers, Hughes, and Clarke to go 1-2-3 based on a lot of what I'm reading.
Id question them on their ranking of Clarke and Hughes then since very few lists have them separated by much, let alone the fact that most lists have Hughes higher

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I see Eklund is now in your top 5 :naughty:

And now only have 2 D going top 5, rather than 4.

I like it.

This is not a ranking, it's a mock draft. I'm going to put out my May rankings after the U-18 tournament is finished. As far as how many D go in the top 5, Seattle is a real wild card -- none of us in the draft analysis biz can claim to have the slightest clue how they plan to build their team, so it's 100% supposition.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Anaheim having a Power-Drysdale pairing for the next decade should terrorize every team in the West.

I also think Buffalo would prefer a forward if they had #1 overall.

Honestly I'm fine with us taking anyone of Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, Power, Hughes, and Clarke. I would prefer one of the defensemen but high end forward is still a need.

There are 7 skaters I would be thrilled with, because I would also include Kent Johnson in the list. But I feel Brandt Clarke is the optimal choice -- he is a true difference maker offensively, and would immediately become the most gifted RD in franchise history.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would like your mock better if you had Seattle taking Hughes because I would feel upset if we had the chance to draft Hughes and passed on him. However I know Clarke is very good as well.

I honestly cannot say I have any idea who Seattle will pick -- it's a really tough call. If I was starting a franchise, I would prefer a C, but I don't see Beniers lasting until the third pick. A defenseman would be my next choice, but I went with Guenther because he's a low-risk, top-line two-way F and you can't really go wrong there. He's a character kid who will wear a letter on his jersey in the NHL some day. He'd just really be a great pick to start a franchise with.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would Harris and Blitzer really let Fitzgerald pass up on the media storm that would be pairing the Hughes' brothers, for a similar size and style player? Im not so sure

its not like you passed up on Luke for 6'6" Owen Power

plus if I were Jack id be f***in pissed, you passed over my brother for a guy named Brandt? Is this the early 1900s?

Brandt Clarke's brother is Graeme Clarke, who is also a NJ Devil. Brandt Clarke is a RD, where the Devils have far greater need than LD, which Luke Hughes plays. Brandt Clarke is closer to the NHL than Luke Hughes -- he might be NHL-ready by 2022-23, while you'll probably have to wait another season or two for the young and technically raw Hughes. And Brandt Clarke is a tremendous hockey player whose consensus ranking is nearly identical to Hughes. Though Hughes is a dynamically elite skater with terrific offensive skills, Clarke is a superior passer, puck-handler and shooter who is also superior in terms of defensive play.

This was my reasoning. This is not a slight on Luke Hughes, or even a definitive statement that Clarke will be the better NHL player. This is not a ranking, but rather a mock draft, and I feel Clarke would make the more logical pick for the Devils at this point in time.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Clarke>Power. If we’re passing up on Luke it’d better not be for Clarke and not for Power. I straight don’t see what’s special about him. Sure he’s massive but he’s not really great at anything

The only way the Devils get Owen Power is if they win a top 2 pick in the lottery, so you should not concern yourself with that scenario until after the drawing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
Brandt Clarke's brother is Graeme Clarke, who is also a NJ Devil. Brandt Clarke is a RD, where the Devils have far greater need than LD, which Luke Hughes plays. Brandt Clarke is closer to the NHL than Luke Hughes -- he might be NHL-ready by 2022-23, while you'll probably have to wait another season or two for the young and technically raw Hughes. And Brandt Clarke is a tremendous hockey player whose consensus ranking is nearly identical to Hughes. Though Hughes is a dynamically elite skater with terrific offensive skills, Clarke is a superior passer, puck-handler and shooter who is also superior in terms of defensive play.

This was my reasoning. This is not a slight on Luke Hughes, or even a definitive statement that Clarke will be the better NHL player. This is not a ranking, but rather a mock draft, and I feel Clarke would make the more logical pick for the Devils at this point in time.
I understand the hockey reasoning; I just dont see ownership and Fitz passing on Luke when im willing to bet they have the three dmen all very closely ranked.

This is the same GM who said he thinks Jack can be a center long-term and be defensively strong (predraft) because of his skating; Luke has that and more reach, so the knock on his defensive game is very much overblown IMO

again though I wasnt arguing the hockey differences between Luke and Brandt. Mainly that I suspect they have both ranked closely and I think theyll value pairing up the Hughes bros more than whatever slight difference Clarke brings

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves Wanna say that I come to the Devils forum at least a couple times a week to check your thread, as I love the in depth scouting overviews you do, so huge props.

With that said, the last thing the Sharks need is Simon Edvinsson. Not to say that the Sharks won’t take Edvinsson, because I don’t trust our scouts in the first round as far as I can throw them (we’re talking about the geniuses that picked Timo Meier over Rantanen and Barzal), but in this scenario I’d easily take Johnson. We need high-end skill more than anything. We already have our top-pairing LHD of the future in Mario Ferraro, and Edvinsson gives me Mirco Mueller vibes.

Thanks for chiming in and thanks for the kind words!

I will certainly take your words and thoughts about the Sharks draft needs into account for my final mock draft. And believe me -- for San Jose's pick I greatly considered all of Edvinsson, Johnson and Wallstedt. Really, what forced my hand towards Edvinsson was as simple as the fact that the Sharks used all 9 of their picks last year on forwards, while (now that the excellent Mario Ferraro has graduated to the big club) Artemi Kniazev is likely the only viable Sharks prospect at LD.

Though I have my own reservations about Edvinsson -- I have him ranked in the teens as opposed to some of his unnatural rankings in the top 3 -- I am confident he will be far superior to Mirco Mueller. While Mueller was big and fast, Edvinsson is an even better skater and also adds an elite set of hands. Edvinsson also has a superior compete level to the oft-lackadaisical Mueller. I'm not sure Edvinsson has the passing or shooting ability to put up top-flight scoring totals, but I think he's a safe bet for an NHL mid pairing.

Personally, my Sharks' pick had the opposite of subjectivity. In the scenario which I had play out in the first 7 picks, I would absolutely be in line with your mind-set and take Kent Johnson without a second thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad