Line Combos: 2021-22 Roster Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I think I might take him for free. He's still good and it's only a 1 year commitment.

Retaining defeats the purpose for the Avs, but maybe they'll be forced to attach a 2nd rounder or something.
On it's face I like it, unless it keeps us from chasing a $$$ veteran #1C. My only concern with Johnson is health.
My goal would be to sign a short-medium term veteran C and trade for a RD, but this could work too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Avs fans say that EJ has been passed on their depth chart by both JJ and Ryan Murray, and that he's a bottom pair guy now. So perhaps he's already well into decline. But I hope our FO investigates it and if they like the fit, maybe pick EJ up along with an asset.

He checks a lot of boxes. Veteran leader, hard to play against, huge and strong, good defender, okay puck skills.

Reactions: VT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Has Jack Roslovic played his way into being part of the "core" or is this recent (I say recent, however he's been pretty solid ever since January for the most part IMO) surge just because he's forced to play a lot of minutes with Jenner, Kuraly, and Texier out along with Sillinger not being ready?

To me, the way he carries the puck and abilities in the offensive zone are traits we cannot lose without being replaced. Given Rosie's age, and improvements in his own end as well as at center as a whole, I don't think we should be looking to deal Roslovic anymore like we maybe once were. (It was rumored for a large chunk of the start of the year if you recall)

There's going to be a lot of competition for ice time next year. Assuming no trades, Texier will be back, Jenner will be back, and Johnson/Marchenko will be over and chomping at ice time possibilities. It's going to be a really interesting summer, but when the puck drops next year, I think we should look to have Roslovic on the roster.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Has Jack Roslovic played his way into being part of the "core" or is this recent (I say recent, however he's been pretty solid ever since January for the most part IMO) surge just because he's forced to play a lot of minutes with Jenner, Kuraly, and Texier out along with Sillinger not being ready?

To me, the way he carries the puck and abilities in the offensive zone are traits we cannot lose without being replaced. Given Rosie's age, and improvements in his own end as well as at center as a whole, I don't think we should be looking to deal Roslovic anymore like we maybe once were. (It was rumored for a large chunk of the start of the year if you recall)

There's going to be a lot of competition for ice time next year. Assuming no trades, Texier will be back, Jenner will be back, and Johnson/Marchenko will be over and chomping at ice time possibilities. It's going to be a really interesting summer, but when the puck drops next year, I think we should look to have Roslovic on the roster.

I agree although I don't understand the bolded? If he didn't produce during the added minutes I could see having to play being a problem. But he has improved/prouced. Maybe it is just having the pressure of if I screw up I'm out mentality being lifted.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Monk

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I've been a big fan of Jack's and thought he had an opportunity to really cement himself this year. It started off very rough but as noted his overall play has significantly improved. Most seems attributed to being placed on the PK and taken out of his comfort zone. Maybe he's finally grasping the C position and enjoys more responsibility. Lately his offensive game has clicked. Oddly enough, just the other day I looked at his splits for points and month by month his production really hasn't been significantly different (that will look different after the last two games), however, I think his game has improved that ultimately I agree with you on him playing his way into the core.

For me, this comes down to two things... First, has he done enough to move Boone back to wing (I'm with the group that likes him on the wing and massive forecheck guy) and how long does it take for Johnson to fit into C or W. No doubt there is a lot of competition but having Roslovic, Sillinger and Kuraly slotted in 2C-4C provides flexibility, stability and upside. Still not sure any of them can be a 1C but having three 2C (potentially an option with growth) isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on strength at wings and looks like we're building that as well.

Still lack elite talent up front but maybe the young guys take that type of step or a pick this/next year add to that... If Jack continues to "grow" I think he'd be a valuable piece given his skating and skill set. Maybe he's starting to put it together. Jarmo always says it can take 5-8 years for guys to fill their potential. He's in that window.

Reactions: LJ7

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
"I'll tell you a little story," CBJ associate head coach Pascal Vincent said recently when he was leading the team. "We play Pittsburgh, and after the game I see Sidney Crosby. I coached Sidney with Team Canada, so I've known him for a long time. He stops by and we have a little chat -- 'How are you doing? How's the family?' A regular chat. And then he says, 'That Danforth guy, who is he?' That's coming from Sidney Crosby.

"He said, 'He's a young guy, Danforth?' I said, 'He's not so young, but he's a good player for us. He's on the puck, he works hard, he can shoot the puck.' He said, 'Yeah, I was looking at him, and he's hard to play against.' To me, it tells you everything about Danforth."

I said this before and I will say it again: there is some 17 in 17.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

This is a peripheral view IMO because I just haven't been able to watch too closely recently but it seems like his play has improved once he started killing penalties. We can call it the "Rick Nash Effect" because I think Rick stepped up his game once Hitch made him start killing penalties. Maybe it was that type of engagement that clicked with him and is forcing him to do things differently. If it sticks he can be really solid.

I still have concerns that we can't rely on Texier long term. He grew a lot early this year too but I'm still not convinced he has that burning desire to be a great player in the NHL. I'm trying not to judge the personal things he's gone through. Some things are more important than hockey but I wonder if hockey is important enough to him going forward for the team to rely on him as an important piece. If not that's fine but I think the door is open.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Avs fans say that EJ has been passed on their depth chart by both JJ and Ryan Murray, and that he's a bottom pair guy now. So perhaps he's already well into decline. But I hope our FO investigates it and if they like the fit, maybe pick EJ up along with an asset.

He checks a lot of boxes. Veteran leader, hard to play against, huge and strong, good defender, okay puck skills.
Haha! Two former Jackets have bumped Erik Johnson to the bottom pair!?

I still agree, let's check it out.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not on the bring EJ in train regardless of cost. I just don't see how he adds value to this team based on his current drop off a cliff. If we're going to get subpar play, I'd prefer that be from a young player that has a chance to learn and improve, not a player that is on the downward slide in his career with no long term fit in Columbus. Just no interest from me on this one.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I'm not on the bring EJ in train regardless of cost. I just don't see how he adds value to this team based on his current drop off a cliff. If we're going to get subpar play, I'd prefer that be from a young player that has a chance to learn and improve, not a player that is on the downward slide in his career with no long term fit in Columbus. Just no interest from me on this one.
Yeah I just think that this D group mostly just needs a major upgrade, preferably someone with experience, and that $6M could be spent to make that improvement in other ways. I’m not sure EJ represents an upgrade anymore.

I think between Werenski, Gavrikov, Peeke, Boqvist, Bean you’ll have five of a young pretty decent group of 6, but that the latter 4 of them could be knocked down a peg. Bayreuther, Christiansen, and Blankenburg could be decent options to fight for a 7-8 spot. I’m not sure what to think about Carlsson as depth going forward.

You could build slow and try to see exactly what you have in a group that’s roughly 23-24 years old on average and prioritize getting one of the top D in this draft. But I think adding one major piece there gives you a good young group for years. A Chychrun-type move makes sense to me and I think there are plenty of pieces to get it done.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A Chychrun-type move makes sense to me and I think there are plenty of pieces to get it done.

Yep. It will be interesting to see what people think those pieces should be. That should be a big chunk of the annual summer discussion. We don't need to get into that now, I'll just agree abstractly that there are plenty of pieces.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
Some news about Texier, he is still in France in the end
I guess with his tough personal losses he agreed with Columbus to stay there and not return to play 10/15 games. (considering the team is out of the PO race)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well I'm bummed not to see Tex again this year, he was a joy to watch. But I can understand if he wants to be with family. I could also understand if they just don't want to risk his back in meaningless games (same with Boone). That part is my speculation, perhaps this is merely a family matter.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
if i’m Jarmo I’m all over this guy.
excellent career at Michigan with Nick and Kent (familiarity). has NA experience. played stellar in the SHL this year. He’s now looking to come back to NA.

real, real intrigued.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

I've been up and down on a few guys this year, most notably Jack and Bemstrom. My conclusion is that this whole team has earned another year to see what they're capable of.

Jack and Bemmer in particular have been frustrating for me, but their play recently has given me hope that they can continue to take the next steps. Jack's puck carrying ability is something we need. Bemstrom doesn't look so scared anymore and actually seems to be gaining confidence in all areas.

I'm not sure if Jack has reached "core" status but he has absolutely bought himself some leeway.

Overall there were very low expectations for this group and they have shown an improved scoring ability as a whole and some grit to come from behind so often. If they can figure it out defensively, this is a good team. We'll see how next year plays out and then the screws start to tighten.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Imo Robinson flashed early on this year BUT...

WHAT HAS HE DONE THIS LAST QTR OF THE YEAR?

TEX AND KUR CARRIED HIM!

I think he should be fighting for a spot with Meyers, and some of the young guns coming

Last edited by a moderator:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Imo he flashed early on this year BUT...

WHAT HAS HE DONE THIS LAST QTR OF THE YEAR?

TEX AND KUR CARRIED HIM!

I think he should be fighting for a spot with Meyers, and some of the young guns coming

Great jinx thread. Ten seconds later he steals the puck and has a beautiful assist.

Reactions: cslebn

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Funny this thread popped up just as I said I like his improvement through the year in the GDT. I like him and Kuraly with almost anyone

Reactions: majormajor

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Funny this thread popped up just as I said I like his improvement through the year in the GDT. I like him and Kuraly with almost anyone
I especially like both of them with Danforth. But from my view I like Kuraly and Danforth with about anyone.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Again, don’t really get Robinson dislike at all. He’s a 4th liner with speed, that’s what he’s supposed to be and he’s a damn good one at that. He’s not supposed to be anything more than that, but he’s probably one of the best guys in the league in that role. Not to even mention his offensive pace, 34 points in a full season, which is obviously really good for a 4th liner.

Reactions: majormajor and VT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad