Line Combos: 2021-22 Roster Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
"I'll tell you a little story," CBJ associate head coach Pascal Vincent said recently when he was leading the team. "We play Pittsburgh, and after the game I see Sidney Crosby. I coached Sidney with Team Canada, so I've known him for a long time. He stops by and we have a little chat -- 'How are you doing? How's the family?' A regular chat. And then he says, 'That Danforth guy, who is he?' That's coming from Sidney Crosby.

"He said, 'He's a young guy, Danforth?' I said, 'He's not so young, but he's a good player for us. He's on the puck, he works hard, he can shoot the puck.' He said, 'Yeah, I was looking at him, and he's hard to play against.' To me, it tells you everything about Danforth."

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Why are we trying to win games? The team should be focused on development. Put Johnson in the middle or put him with Laine and/or Sillinger.
There are likely a number of reasons.

First, the lines are assembled by Brad Larsen. Unless Jarmo and JD are directly telling you to lose games or play the youngsters (they aren't) you want to win whenever you can. Finishing the season on a losing streak and then starting next season 0-5 could instantly cost you your job. Much better to win now if possible.

Second, for coaching purposes, you want to emphasize accountability. A big part of that is rewarding guys who are playing well by putting them higher in the lineup.

Third, perhaps management feels that players develop better by playing lower in the lineup on a team that wins versus high in the lineup on a team that loses.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I'll be honest, I hoped for Laine-Johnson line, but with Boone injured this is probably the right call if youre trying to win games

Of course Kuraly may well be back for Wed game so I’d expect he’ll be in for Meyer With Gaunce sliding to wing. Of course they may want to give Meyer further look.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Had some thoughts and wondering a trade with Arizona.

Columbus : Jakob Chychrun & Lawson Crouse
Arizona : 2022 CBJ’s 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick Jake Bean, Emil Benstrom, Eric Robinson.

Thoughts - again just spitballing but could use these 2 players

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Had some thoughts and wondering a trade with Arizona.

Columbus : Jakob Chychrun & Lawson Crouse
Arizona : 2022 CBJ’s 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick Jake Bean, Emil Benstrom, Eric Robinson.

Thoughts - again just spitballing but could use these 2 players
2nd, 3rd, Robinson, Bean and Bem are all minor pieces. To get a 1st pair Dman on good contract you have to give more than a 1st and 5 minor pieces.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
2nd, 3rd, Robinson, Bean and Bem are all minor pieces. To get a 1st pair Dman on good contract you have to give more than a 1st and 5 minor pieces.
So a 2022 1st and 2023 1st instead of 2022 2nd & 3rd round as well as Bean, Robinson and ????

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why are we trying to win games? The team should be focused on development. Put Johnson in the middle or put him with Laine and/or Sillinger.

I think they are much more focused on development than winning games. They just put KJ with two of our best possession forwards. That means a lot more time with the puck for KJ than if he was playing with Laine or Sillinger. Perhaps twice as much.

I also don't believe you are seriously suggesting putting him at center? He's at the NHL equivalent of kindergarten, don't give him the quadratic equation yet. Step by step. If he was at center he'd just be chasing defensively all night and wouldn't have the gas to do anything else.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Third, perhaps management feels that players develop better by playing lower in the lineup on a team that wins versus high in the lineup on a team that loses.
I agree except I'll say in this case that Danforth and Bjorkstrand aren't lower down the lineup. They're two of the best players on the team and they're simply better linemates than Laine and whoever else would be. If that line clicks, they will all play a lot.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So a 2022 1st and 2023 1st instead of 2022 2nd & 3rd round as well as Bean, Robinson and ????

I think to get Chychrun we'd either need to dangle the Chicago pick +, OR 2 1sts +, OR a 1st + a very good young player like Texier +.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Honestly, I'm looking forward to Nick "Justin Danforth":cool: Blankenburg more than Kent Johnson. If his description is true, such a player like him only help the defense.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Im expecting Blankenburg to not look out of place.
I am looking forward to seeing Blankenburg as well. Again watching Michigan Hockey this past season because of Kent Johnson- he stood out and he stood out with Owen Power being his d partner. I assumed he was drafted and didn’t think about it.

I agree he wont look out of place and will surprise a lot of people. Going to the game to hopefully watch both debut tomorrow

Reactions: VT

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

"Boy dream to come to the NHL"

One of them is Marcus Björk and he himself does not know if he will stay in Brynäs or not. At the same time, Gefle Dagblad states that the Columbus Blue Jackets - with the head scout and former Brynäs coach Josef Boumedienne at the helm - have shown interest in Björk.

- I know they have been here and checked. It would be great fun if that is true (that there is interest). It is a boy's dream of course to have come to the NHL, says Björk to GD and continues:
- You can take everything with my agent. But of course it would have been super fun.

Marcus Björk came to Brynäs via an exchange deal with Malmö where Adam Brodecki went in the opposite direction. Since then, the 24-year-old has played 124 matches for Brynäs. Last season, Björk scored 15 points in 52 matches.
Marcus Björk at eliteprospects.com

CBJ interested in 24-year old 6'3 RD... thoughts?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's talk that the Avs will unload Erik Johnson in the offseason. 1 year $6m. Sounds kind of perfect for the Jackets?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Would they retain? A straight cap dump would require a decent sweetner

I think I might take him for free. He's still good and it's only a 1 year commitment.

Retaining defeats the purpose for the Avs, but maybe they'll be forced to attach a 2nd rounder or something.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There's talk that the Avs will unload Erik Johnson in the offseason. 1 year $6m. Sounds kind of perfect for the Jackets?
On its face I like it

Werenski-Johnson
Gavrikov-Boqvist
Bean/Blankenburg-Peeke

Lots of competition. Lots of potential.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad