Line Combos: 2021-22 Roster Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@MoeBartoli I absolutely agree. But Lars could want to let Sillinger line with Voracek and Chinakhov together. In this case Laine to Roslovic and Domi. Besides although Patrik isn`t so speed like Gregory he isn`t so terrible and has many things part of them Gregory will never have their.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If the topic here is Laine and where does he go when he’s healthy, I think the answer is in Chinny’s spot with Sillinger and Voracek.

The answer to what happens to Chinny is, whatever seems appropriate at the time. He may need a break or some time in Cleveland. Or it may be an ok time to sit Hoffman, who is clicking with his line right now but is not a fixed proposition.

Heck, Sillinger might not even still be with Jake.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If the topic here is Laine and where does he go when he’s healthy, I think the answer is in Chinny’s spot with Sillinger and Voracek.

The answer to what happens to Chinny is, whatever seems appropriate at the time. He may need a break or some time in Cleveland. Or it may be an ok time to sit Hoffman, who is clicking with his line right now but is not a fixed proposition.

Heck, Sillinger might not even still be with Jake.
Yegor will stay in the main team. You know I doubt Nyquist would be moved to Yegor and Cole although it could be good because Gus is experienced, better in defense than Jakub, also LW thanks to Yegor could play RW.
Btw we can't forget about Bemstrom. Emil doesn't play because of his injury and not because he's worse players who are in the roster.
Foudy or Fix-Wolanski (maybe others) can recall too and if they show themselves it would be difficult to sent them back.

Last edited:

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Do you guys believe Columbus will load the AHL with players during the Olympic break? A whole month off …. I’d like to see the kids play.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Do you guys believe Columbus will load the AHL with players during the Olympic break? A whole month off …. I’d like to see the kids play.

Definitely. They may give them a few days off before hand to give them a small reset, but yeah. Sillinger, Peeke, Chinakhov, all AHL eligible without waivers guys.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
All you peeps who aced permutations and combinations - how many more threads are we looking at?

With and without adding prospects?

:huh:

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
@MoeBartoli By the way, it's possible that Larsen will leave the Chinakhov -- Silinger -- Voracek line unchanged. In that case, the question is, where should Laine play?
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to try the Laine -- Roslovic -- Domi line suggested here, with Roslovic`s line as the second and Sillinger`s line as the fourth.
Although I think Chinakhov could be better with Domi and Roslovic because he could play RW.
I`m afraid Hofmann - often HS. I know he was good now but:
1. Nyquist will play. Besides he does many work in that line, in defense, play without the puck, takeaways... .
2. Gavrikov said Chinakhov will stay in the main team and I doubt so that he would be HS (look Jarmo`s words that Yegor will stay here only if he has a spot in the roster).
3. Patrik is higher level than Gregory. More higher.

@MoeBartoli I absolutely agree. But Lars could want to let Sillinger line with Voracek and Chinakhov together. In this case Laine to Roslovic and Domi. Besides although Patrik isn`t so speed like Gregory he isn`t so terrible and has many things part of them Gregory will never have their.
Now we have three lines that I think work extremely well and it is actually out first line that has a little problems, at least currently.
So I sees and option with replacing Laine with Nyquist, which could also play better.

What do we the do with Nyquist, don't know, because well if we move him down on Hoffmanns spot that would be tampering with something working, at least for one game.
A game where we controls the line matching.

I just thing that the why Laine has played, that a Line with Laine-Jenner-Bjorkstrand could look like a read first line on almost any team.
Who will the opposition defense targeting?
Both Laine and Bjorkstrand has proven they can make good passes and both can shoot the puck.

Again, tampering as little as possibly, then Laine takes Hoffmanns spot. I am just not sure that the playing style fit Laine and I actually think it fits Nyquist better.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Yegor will stay in the main team. You know I doubt Nyquist would be moved to Yegor and Cole although it could be good because Gus is experienced, better in defense than Jakub, also LW thanks to Yegor could play RW.
Btw we can't forget about Bemstrom. Emil doesn't play because of his injury and not because he's worse players who are in the roster.
Foudy or Fix-Wolanski (maybe others) can recall too and if they show themselves it would be difficult to sent them back.
That was a very good point, when we have to give Bemstrom a chance, that he was basically earning in the preseason, then they will have to tamper with some of the lineup.
If we are going the put in both of Bemstrom and Laine, then two have to leave the line up and there start to be a real fight for the spots.

Who is out of the line up is the first question
Chinakhov, Hoffmann and Nyquist​
Are the three weakest candidates on this lines and I do not think that either of Texier or Robinson come of the Kuraly line, they simply is too important in the PK.
At at which spot to you slot both Bemstrom and Laine?
I will say after the three last games, it must be Hoffmann and Nyquist, but a few weeks before that I would had said Texier and Hoffmann.
Larsen really have some decision to make.

Let us hope, that it does not selve itself, since that would be a bad way to solve this. (It would mean another injury).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Now we have three lines that I think work extremely well and it is actually out first line that has a little problems, at least currently.
So I sees and option with replacing Laine with Nyquist, which could also play better.
Sillinger`s line was fit only against opponents like Winnipeg which was plush, didn`t play with Voracek. That's why it's too early to say what works and what doesn't. Especially if from the new year teams will start to pick up the pace, play harder, more responsible defense.
What do we the do with Nyquist, don't know, because well if we move him down on Hoffmanns spot that would be tampering with something working, at least for one game.
A game where we controls the line matching.
I just thing that the why Laine has played, that a Line with Laine-Jenner-Bjorkstrand could look like a read first line on almost any team.
Who will the opposition defense targeting?
Both Laine and Bjorkstrand has proven they can make good passes and both can shoot the puck.
They played together the 3rd period against Red Wings in Detroit. And they were very good. Detroit had serious problems if you remember. They have more chances than, figuratively speaking, the team in two periods. Only Patrik must move legs.
Again, tampering as little as possibly, then Laine takes Hoffmanns spot. I am just not sure that the playing style fit Laine and I actually think it fits Nyquist better.
Do you think that line or play the team?

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Sillinger`s line was fit only against opponents like Winnipeg which was plush, didn`t play with Voracek. That's why it's too early to say what works and what doesn't. Especially if from the new year teams will start to pick up the pace, play harder, more responsible defense.
Now it is not correct that this line has only worked against Winnipeg, but they had defiantly have their problems in most of the Road trip matches, where the opponent has had Voracek more or less under control.

They played together the 3rd period against Red Wings in Detroit. And they were very good. Detroit had serious problems if you remember. They have more chances than, figuratively speaking, the team in two periods. Only Patrik must move legs.
yes, they played very will together and create many chances, sadly did not have to many goals. Still a line with perspective and I think it could help both Bjorkstrand and Laine becoming even more dangerous and hopefully score more goals.

Do you think that line or play the team?
I think that both Domi and Roslovic is more bang chase players, where I think all of Bjorkstrand, Laine and Voracek are more controlling type and about positioning themselves.
So yes, it is about playing style;)

I may be wrong actually, but it may just be me seeing that:eyeroll:
Texier is a better player than Nyquist, at least he have a greater upside. It does not mean that he always works better than Nyquist, we have seen that doing the season.

And I really like the line of Laine-Jenner-Bjorkstrand for the limited time they has played together.

I may actually rotate Nyquist and Chinahkov, for home games and road games. Or maybe, we shall let Chinahkov learn this season, we ain't gonna win the cup anyway. I really don't know.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Now it is not correct that this line has only worked against Winnipeg, but they had defiantly have their problems in most of the Road trip matches, where the opponent has had Voracek more or less under control.

yes, they played very will together and create many chances, sadly did not have to many goals. Still a line with perspective and I think it could help both Bjorkstrand and Laine becoming even more dangerous and hopefully score more goals.

I think that both Domi and Roslovic is more bang chase players, where I think all of Bjorkstrand, Laine and Voracek are more controlling type and about positioning themselves.
So yes, it is about playing style;)

I may be wrong actually, but it may just be me seeing that:eyeroll:
Texier is a better player than Nyquist, at least he have a greater upside. It does not mean that he always works better than Nyquist, we have seen that doing the season.

And I really like the line of Laine-Jenner-Bjorkstrand for the limited time they has played together.

I may actually rotate Nyquist and Chinahkov, for home games and road games. Or maybe, we shall let Chinahkov learn this season, we ain't gonna win the cup anyway. I really don't know.
  • The line -- Jenner -- Bjorkstrand would be better minimum in 2:1/3:1 :sarcasm:
  • That :thumbu: but that Roslovic`s line couldn`t score aso often as now. I`m worry about it.
  • Texier has a potential but I wouldn`t move him that line is ideal, only if try Foudy to Robinson and Kuraly
  • It`s enough unfair because we don`t have only Chinakhov on wing. I think Bemstrom, Fix-Wolanski, Foudy etc deserve their chance too.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So Vancouver, the team we just played,is an open tire fire. They might fire the coach, GM, others. And players are rumored to be feuding behind the scenes (JT Miller and Bo Horvat at the core of it). Their top young players are regressing, and things aren't good at all.

I highly doubt they will move Hughes or Petterssen. So lets just assume that and take them off the table.

Is there any interest on our end in acquiring a JT Miller, Bo Horvat, Brock Boesser, or whoever else you see on their roster? Or is it far too early for us to look to "add" older players in a short term mindset? I believe all of Horvat, Miller, and Boesser require contracts relatively soon (first two being UFAs), but thats a sinking ship with some possible opportunity to take advantage of down the line (as they probably won't make drastic decisions until the deadline unless forced to).

(Also they likely wouldn't have any interest in Korpi as Demko is their young goalie of the future so I wouldn't even try offering him up)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So Vancouver, the team we just played,is an open tire fire. They might fire the coach, GM, others. And players are rumored to be feuding behind the scenes (JT Miller and Bo Horvat at the core of it). Their top young players are regressing, and things aren't good at all.

I highly doubt they will move Hughes or Petterssen. So lets just assume that and take them off the table.

Is there any interest on our end in acquiring a JT Miller, Bo Horvat, Brock Boesser, or whoever else you see on their roster? Or is it far too early for us to look to "add" older players in a short term mindset? I believe all of Horvat, Miller, and Boesser require contracts relatively soon (first two being UFAs), but thats a sinking ship with some possible opportunity to take advantage of down the line (as they probably won't make drastic decisions until the deadline unless forced to).

(Also they likely wouldn't have any interest in Korpi as Demko is their young goalie of the future so I wouldn't even try offering him up)

Pettersson is their biggest problem on the ice right now so I'd at least kick the can in case they get too impatient and move him. But you're right, they're probably not quite that impatient.

We obviously don't need wingers and especially not a streaky sniper like Boeser. He's struggling right now because he doesn't have an elite linemate to carry him. We don't need that.

It probably does come down to Miller or Horvat as centers. I prefer Horvat. Miller is the better scorer but the difference is pretty much on the PP, where I don't think we need help. At 5v5, they score about the same, and that's with Horvat starting mostly in the D-zone and Miller mostly in the O-zone. A strong 5v5 center is what we need, and Horvat fits that bill.

I'd want to get a sense about whether Horvat would want to extend here, before discussing specific returns. But if he's interested then I'd be willing to pay a lot to get him. 26 year old strong top six center.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH

heavy, and I mean heavy, interest in JT.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Horvat. Not sure what it would take though..

Roslovic Voronkov CHI 1st?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Or is it far too early for us to look to "add" older players in a short term mindset?

In my last staff writer gig I used to interview Jarmo once or twice a year. Any question about the team’s possible activity say, at the trade deadline, was answered with ‘we are always looking at ways to improve our team.’ Of course, that could mean improve by acquiring better players or improve by sending away proven older players for youth and picks. Point being, Jarmo has never not been open to making a move.

However, for me, I as a fan came into this season seeing it mostly as evaluative. I’d like to see the team play with its current roster throughout and see what happens.

EDIT: FWIW I’d chase Horvat harder than Miller but either would be a good add in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
If I don't make a mistake, the Robinson-Kuraly-Texier line has not allowed one single goal since 6 games now at 5v5*
(and they don't play 10 mins a night... they often play against the best opponent line actually)

In others words, they took 1 goal on the last 15/20 allowed by Columbus (!)
You understand easily why Larsen make them play more like a 2nd/3rd line in terms of TOI, despite the fact they lack offensive skills (except Texier)

Most of people talk more about shiny players and of course it's understandable, but I think it's fair to highlight what they're doing :nod:

* I don't count the goal against Arizona, taken just 1 or 2 secs after the end of a penalty

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How has Boqvist looked?

Not bad but not really good either. He has a knack for getting lost in the offensive zone, and he looks good on the PP. His creativity in his own end hasn't been something that you want to see. Fewer blind passes in his own end would be nice. He is still kind of slow and weak out there also, but to his credit he has good defensive positioning and a good defensive stick.

Reactions: Bookker

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Horvat. Not sure what it would take though..

Roslovic Voronkov CHI 1st?

Depending on where it lands, Chicago 1st might be overkill. We also don't know if Horvat is intending to go to UFA, so any top ten pick could be an overpayment.

But supposing he was interested in extending in Columbus, then I'd guess these would be in the neighborhood:

~#10OA pick + Roslovic

OR

Boqvist + Roslovic + Voronkov

Their RD system is even worse than ours and if they're retooling for the year, then Boqvist might suit them.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Depending on where it lands, Chicago 1st might be overkill. We also don't know if Horvat is intending to go to UFA, so any top ten pick could be an overpayment.

But supposing he was interested in extending in Columbus, then I'd guess these would be in the neighborhood:

~#10OA pick + Roslovic

OR

Boqvist + Roslovic + Voronkov

Their RD system is even worse than ours and if they're retooling for the year, then Boqvist might suit them.
I doubt Roslovic will be traded and I don't think if would be good idea to trade Boqvist with Voronkov. I prefer Johnson/Marchenko, Ceulemans and the 1th round in triple trade.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt Roslovic will be traded and I don't think if would be good idea to trade Boqvist with Voronkov. I prefer Johnson/Marchenko, Ceulemans and the 1th round in triple trade.

I don't know what you're talking about with a triple trade. That and Johnson wouldn't be on the table in a Horvat trade.

If you just meant three assets, then I get it. I still would not trade Marchenko + Ceulemans + 1st. Maybe if it was a late 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad