Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lots of bottom pairing potential but really, even including Broberg, not really high end defenders in the system.

Broberg has more than bottom pairing potential Lol that’s like his absolute basement, he’s already arguably a bottom pairing guy with lots of room to grow. He just put up one of the best rookie AHL seasons we’ve seen from a D man in our system in a long, long time.

He’s still only 20 years old.

I don’t see #1 upside but he likely settles somewhere between a #2-4 for a long, long time. Those guys aren’t easy to find. Especially with his size and skating ability.

I do agree though that with Bouchard graduated we need some high end D men in the system.

I like Ty Nelson in this draft. If we want to swing for the fences based on skill, while undersized Lane Hutson is really interesting. I prefer Nelson, but Hutson has some slick skill. He’s tiny though which is concerning.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Broberg has more than bottom pairing potential Lol that’s like his absolute basement, he’s already arguably a bottom pairing guy with lots of room to grow. He just put up one of the best rookie AHL seasons we’ve seen from a D man in our system in a long, long time.

He’s still only 20 years old.

I don’t see #1 upside but he likely settles somewhere between a #2-4 for a long, long time. Those guys aren’t easy to find. Especially with his size and skating ability.

I do agree though that with Bouchard graduated we need some high end D men in the system.

I like Ty Nelson in this draft. If we want to swing for the fences based on skill, while undersized Lane Hutson is really interesting. I prefer Nelson, but Hutson has some slick skill. He’s tiny though which is concerning.
It's mind boggling that Oilers fans think Broberg is some bum with no potential. The dude arguably skates faster than any non McDavid player on the team, possibly even faster than Darnell Nurse. Production wise he had a higher PPG in the AHL than Dylan Holloway who everyone agrees is at minimum a solid middle 6 forward. He's been more productive at all levels of minor hockey than Klef (yes I'm aware he doesn't have the physicality/defensive IQ Klefbom did). Was passing on Zegras for him a mistake? Yes. But that doesn't mean he can't become a solid top 4 dman for us down the line and the Klefbom we've been needing for the past 2 years.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's mind boggling that Oilers fans think Broberg is some bum with no potential. The dude arguably skates faster than any non McDavid player on the team, possibly even faster than Darnell Nurse. Production wise he had a higher PPG in the AHL than Dylan Holloway who everyone agrees is at minimum a solid middle 6 forward. He's been more productive at all levels of minor hockey than Klef (yes I'm aware he doesn't have the physicality/defensive IQ Klefbom did). Was passing on Zegras for him a mistake? Yes. But that doesn't mean he can't become a solid top 4 dman for us down the line and the Klefbom we've been needing for the past 2 years.
That one poster called him Matt benning 2.0 when we drafted him. No surprise that he sees nothing In him

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We shall see but I've sen exactly zero from Broberg to get excited about him. He better end up being a top 3 guy because that is who you are using 1st round picks on bottom 3 guys you find as cheap vets.

He will get his chance next year I would assume, unless Holland utterly fails to move out a guy or two.

Who all will be in Bako next year from our recently drafted forwards?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Cause I look at more of his game than just skating? There is a ton of hockey players that are mostly nothing but can skate good. He is not a strong defensive and never really has been, his defensive iq is lacking. Next to no physicality. He by it all his offence this year on the Pp but outside of that was quiet. He has some offensive iq but not a ton.

He is a guy who i think has a 3rd pairing ability maybe a 4/5 in the end. I just don’t think his hockey brain is good enough for much more, but I mean he skates fast so that makes people excited.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Is Brett Kulak a comparable for Broberg? I really Hope he signs with us for 3+ years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Since we are just about in the dog days of summer, let's have a shot at guessing their roster:

Holloway-Hamblin-Bourgault
Savoie-Philp-Lavoie
Petrov-Tullio-Chiasson
Lachance?-Engaras

Broberg-Desharnais (might be too old?)
Niemelainen-Kesselring
Samorukov/Munzenberger?-Wanner

Fanti
Rodrigue

We've only got our 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks from the upcoming draft, maybe a few of them join the team in Penticton as well?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Since we are just about in the dog days of summer, let's have a shot at guessing their roster:

Holloway-Hamblin-Bourgault
Savoie-Philp-Lavoie
Petrov-Tullio-Chiasson
Lachance?-Engaras

Broberg-Desharnais (might be too old?)
Niemelainen-Kesselring
Samorukov/Munzenberger?-Wanner

Fanti
Rodrigue

We've only got our 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks from the upcoming draft, maybe a few of them join the team in Penticton as well?
Munzenberger and Lachance definitely won’t be there as they’re NCAA bound and this would make them forfeit their eligibility. I think they usually cap it at second year pro players so guys like Samorukov and Desharnais are also unlikely I’d say.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Munzenberger and Lachance definitely won’t be there as they’re NCAA bound and this would make them forfeit their eligibility. I think they usually cap it at second year pro players so guys like Samorukov and Desharnais are also unlikely I’d say.
College players can go as long as they pay their own way.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Interesting thing I just noticed about Tulio. He finished 12th in OHL scoring. Every player ahead of him had a teammate also in top 20. In fact, Tulio and the guy in 19th were the only ones without at least one high scoring teamate in the top 20

The 2nd highest scorer on Tulio's team finished 65th.

Tulio had a pretty special year

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Happy to see Matvey listed on the roster. I guess that means he made it back to Canada.

Brayden Schuurman and Hudson Thornton look like intriguing invites. Both 18 years old with solid seasons in the whl last year. Would they be eligible for contracts if they show well at camp?
Hopefully.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Happy to see Matvey listed on the roster. I guess that means he made it back to Canada.

Brayden Schuurman and Hudson Thornton look like intriguing invites. Both 18 years old with solid seasons in the whl last year. Would they be eligible for contracts if they show well at camp?
Probably be similar to what they signed Hamblin to I'm guessing.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Probably be similar to what they signed Hamblin to I'm guessing.

Hamblin was a different scenario. We signed him to an AHL deal after his WHL career was over. These two are only 18 years old, so still ineligible for the ahl but I believe they are eligible to be signed because they weren't drafted. Years ago when we tried to sign Vladamir Tkachev the contract was voided because he played part of his season in the KHL/MHL before coming over to the Q.

It would be nice to find a couple free wallets after we had so few picks this year.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yes they would. This is another way to compensate for traded draft picks. It's like adding extra 7th round picks which in reality have almost as much chance of panning out as 4th rounders. Thornton seems to me to be a good risk. Schuurman is small but seems to be skilled, though I have no first hand knowledge of the player.

From Section 8.9 of the CBA
(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age
20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed
and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft
and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such
Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered
with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for
signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club
shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).
(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was
age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which
was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the
Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Looks like he made it!

sweaty-sweat.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like he made it!

Lol I guess I could've posted here instead of the Wanner thread.

Wright was pretty impressed with Petrov. Apparently really grown as a person.

Wanner and Petrov were the two less than sexy names that stood out to Wright today in day one of camp.

Edit:
The one thing I will say in general is that it's nice to hear how much time Wright does spend around the prospects. I remember in the past especially with MacGregor it was like soon as he drafted the kids he was done with them. Wouldn't it be smart to watch current prospects to see how they've developed since you drafted them? Wouldn't it be smart to be talking with your development coaches, saying what you liked on the guy and what you think they need to work on?

I remember being floored when we traded for Teubert and Stu pretty much said he hadn't watched much of the kid since his draft year. I guess just not a lot of forward thinking back then.

Just a comment I had from another thread about our prospects. I never got why in the past it was like once we drafted a player the scouts just didn't pay attention to those picks again. Personally if I did it for a living, I'd be looking at my list and trying to see how those guys panned out year over year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad