Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t think Konovalov going home is as big a loss as some are making it out to be. He had a nice season that lead to him being drafted but he’s seemingly regressed every year since, even losing his starting gig to Eddie Pasquale the year before coming over. Rodrigue is a better prospect, so it’s better for his development to be splitting starts with the veteran goalie I assume will be coming in free agency versus having an ugly three headed monster going in Bakersfield next year.
If you struggle to outplay how Rodrigue has played while being older it’s a bit of a yikes. Neither of them are good prospects at the moment

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Less than ideal

Skinner should have been in the NHL full time next year and Kono AHL starter and NHL call up

Not a devastating loss, but he had some very solid stats and comparables, and this is just a lost lottery ticket

Although I do have skinner as the better bet

Maybe he follows a Koskinen etc career and comes back to the NHL in 3 years once he can land a full time gig

Tough to blame him going back home, as the AHL isnt the most fun place to carve your teeth
I think the main reason why Konovalov signed last offseason was to get starts, as he was demoted to a backup role in the KHL, but he didn't get much as Skinner spent a lot of time in the AHL. Now Dynamo offers him basically a clear starter job, so I'd say it is in his best interest to go there, especially since Oilers agreeing to terminate his contract pretty much means they aren't counting much on him anyway.

Reactions: oilers'72

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bourgault and Holloway are going to be huge adds to this forward group next season. I'm calling it now, his production is just overwhelming, guys who put up these types of numbers and don't have skating deficiencies make the NHL at 20, and generally excel.

Edit: I think you can realistically say that both Holloway and Bourgault are at least Yamamoto-level prospects (I think they're both better, but for the sake of argument). These guys are going to be absolutely huge in this teams' ability to progress into a Colorado/Tampa Bay level contender. We're still operating with such limited production from the third line, it's going to be awesome when these guys fill out those spots.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
GWG from Bourgault.

Insurance goal.

Shawinigan wins 5-1 and take a 1-0 series lead. Xavier was named 2nd star.

He's a very exciting prospect.

I hope that both he and Holloway are given every chance to make the roster next year.

The Oilers don't have enough gunners up front and the talent upgrade that the team needs (to become a truly elite team) lies with these prospects and not expensive free agents.

Looking forward to training camp already.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Bourgault and Holloway are going to be huge adds to this forward group next season. I'm calling it now, his production is just overwhelming, guys who put up these types of numbers and don't have skating deficiencies make the NHL at 20, and generally excel.

Edit: I think you can realistically say that both Holloway and Bourgault are at least Yamamoto-level prospects (I think they're both better, but for the sake of argument). These guys are going to be absolutely huge in this teams' ability to progress into a Colorado/Tampa Bay level contender. We're still operating with such limited production from the third line, it's going to be awesome when these guys fill out those spots.

I don't think Holloway has the offensive touch of yams, but bourg likely has a little more than yams does (with less bit to his game, and less size issues). Holloway doesn't have top 6 offensive ability, but I think he could end up like a bigger, faster version of Foegele, which is a good third line player. Bourg could end up a second line player though, similar to yams, but with slightly different individual characteristics.

As you said, I kind of expect them both to be playing, at least part time, with the big club next year. As wingers, and less defensive responsibilities, hopefully they can contribute fairly early, as it would really help with depth. Especially with losing Kane this off-season.

Reactions: oilers'72

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't think Holloway has the offensive touch of yams, but bourg likely has a little more than yams does (with less bit to his game, and less size issues). Holloway doesn't have top 6 offensive ability, but I think he could end up like a bigger, faster version of Foegele, which is a good third line player. Bourg could end up a second line player though, similar to yams, but with slightly different individual characteristics.

As you said, I kind of expect them both to be playing, at least part time, with the big club next year. As wingers, and less defensive responsibilities, hopefully they can contribute fairly early, as it would really help with depth. Especially with losing Kane this off-season.
Is Bourgault still eligible to play Junior hockey next year?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
He'll be 20 in October, so he'd be an overager.
And how many "overagers" are Junior teams allowed?

I guess he would also be eligible to play in the AHL and I assume that is where he will start the new season.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And how many "overagers" are Junior teams allowed?

I guess he would also be eligible to play in the AHL and I assume that is where he will start the new season.
Three. But yes, he'll either be in Bakersfield or in Edmonton next season. OAs are generally unsigned draft picks or are undrafted FAs. It's pretty rare for high end prospects to return for their overage seasons.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No one:
Me: everytime Bourgault scores
vindication-brooklyn.gif

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Yams is kinda very mediocre offensively. I certainly hope both are better.

Yams has averaged being a 35 point player or so the last two seasons (based on pacing) and that is with a 14 point month of April in 15 games (if April was closer to his average of other months he would have paces for 30 points).

His top 5 line mates over the past two years for 5x5 minutes while put up that point pace:
1654541299888.png

We should definitely expect better results with those line mates.

Anyways I like Yamamoto but would hope Bourgault and Holloway could provide more offence than him.

Edit: If we were talking Holloway's last season in college I am not certain people would be saying he doesnt have top 6 offence potential. The guy came off two wrist surgeries and is back playing now - hopefully he can get back to trend.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yams is kinda very mediocre offensively. I certainly hope both are better.

Yams has averaged being a 35 point player or so the last two seasons (based on pacing) and that is with a 14 point month of April in 15 games (if April was closer to his average of other months he would have paces for 30 points).

His top 5 line mates over the past two years for 5x5 minutes while put up that point pace:
View attachment 556327

We should definitely expect better results with those line mates.

Anyways I like Yamamoto but would hope Bourgault and Holloway could provide more offence than him.

Edit: If we were talking Holloway's last season in college I am not certain people would be saying he doesnt have top 6 offence potential. The guy came off two wrist surgeries and is back playing now - hopefully he can get back to trend.
And Yam was better offensively than Holloway up to the same age. Now it may be different in the NHL in the end, but it’s not like Holloway was tearing the AHL up.

Reactions: McDoused

Macblender

May 5, 2014
And Yam was better offensively than Holloway up to the same age. Now it may be different in the NHL in the end, but it’s not like Holloway was tearing the AHL up.
IDK pretty comparable honestly:

1654555664826.png

His 20 year old season would be the 2019-20 season. I dont consider the 2019-20 oilers time replicable as he has only shown one month similar to that stretch despite being stapled to a top 5 player in the world his entire oilers career basically.

His 20 year old pace was 23 points in the AHL over 33 games to which Holloway put up 22. Very comparable.

Holloway:
1654555842480.png

His 19 year old season at Wisconsin is the 8th best NCAA U20 season since 2000:
1654556291109.png

There is two names in that list that failed to make and impact and the rest are pretty clear cut above Yamo. I am not saying he is guaranteed to be better but to say Yamo for sure trended above his isnt so clear cut for the two years they preceded the NHL as I consider 1.5ppg in the NCAA much more impressive than a similar ppg in the WHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
IDK pretty comparable honestly:

View attachment 556391

His 20 year old season would be the 2019-20 season. I dont consider the 2019-20 oilers time replicable as he has only shown one month similar to that stretch despite being stapled to a top 5 player in the world his entire oilers career basically.

His 20 year old pace was 23 points in the AHL over 33 games to which Holloway put up 22. Very comparable.

Holloway:
View attachment 556394

His 19 year old season at Wisconsin is the 8th best NCAA U20 season since 2000:
View attachment 556397

There is two names in that list that failed to make and impact and the rest are pretty clear cut above Yamo. I am not saying he is guaranteed to be better but to say Yamo for sure trended above his isnt so clear cut for the two years they preceded the NHL as I consider 1.5ppg in the NCAA much more impressive than a similar ppg in the WHL.
You could argue Holloways low games played skews his +- a bunch like Yamamotos nhl numbers his first season. The really low games played on that list, under 30 all seem to be guys who haven’t done all that well, Eaves, Higgins. Cammaleri succeeded though.

At the end of the day though, neither are strong in their 20 year old season, both had flashes but neither really succeeded at the AHL level

Maybe Holloways size will help him where Yamamotos doesn’t, but Yamamoto is honestly a much more physical guy. Both i see has middle 6 complimentary forwards.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You could argue Holloways low games played skews his +- a bunch like Yamamotos nhl numbers his first season. The really low games played on that list, under 30 all seem to be guys who haven’t done all that well, Eaves, Higgins. Cammaleri succeeded though.

At the end of the day though, neither are strong in their 20 year old season, both had flashes but neither really succeeded at the AHL level

Maybe Holloways size will help him where Yamamotos doesn’t, but Yamamoto is honestly a much more physical guy. Both i see has middle 6 complimentary forwards.
Sure either way it is a pretty impressive list if we are comparing to Yamo's CHL season which is comparable where he put up 1.5 ish PPG in the WHL against lesser competition than the NCAA.

I am not arguing Holloway is going to be a start just that I think to say Yamo was for sure pacing better is kind of up in the air and all in all Holloway could end up as a great top 6 complimentary player we just dont know.

I certainly hope that if he is stapled to a star he could put up more points as I think he has a superior shot. I think Yamo is extremely tenacious but he just doesnt get top 6 results when you consider who he plays with, but we love him for the tenacity aspect. To me Yamo is an ideal 3rd liner but you just cant have a guy put up 0.35ppg over the course of a season with a 0.95ppg month when playing with one of the worlds best.

Anyways back to the prospects - I think if Bourgault and Holloway turn out to be middle six types we are golden for depth for awhile.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010

Watching Bourgault on that OT winner leads me to believe that he's a play driver and has good hockey IQ. He brings the puck in on a chance and is wiped out by the defenceman. He gets up, immediately locates the puck and positions himself for a pass. The puck is reversed behind the net, he then reads the play, sees his teammate coming out from behind the net and beelines for the uncovered back door pass and is rewarded with basically a tap in winner.

Caveat: I know little of scouting and this all seems like something we'd expect from a 1st round pick but how much does this team need smart players with good hands to receive passes from our centres?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Yamamoto is not more physical than Holloway, let alone much more physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad