Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Evaluation for the 2023 WJC, not the summer redo of 2022 in a couple weeks.

Reid Schaefer on the top line for Team White.

Jake Chiasson 4th line for Team Red. Looks like a mashup of the late invites.

Scrimmage ends 5-3 Team Red, Schaefer with 1 A, Chiasson with 2 PIM.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Evaluation for the 2023 WJC, not the summer redo of 2022 in a couple weeks.

Reid Schaefer on the top line for Team White.

Jake Chiasson 4th line for Team Red. Looks like a mashup of the late invites.

Scrimmage ends 5-3 Team Red, Schaefer with 1 A, Chiasson with 2 PIM.

Good to see Schaefer on the top line.

Everytime I see Del Mastro I always am reminded that I wanted us to pick him if our direction was a big, physical and mobile D man with the extra we got for moving back in the 2021 draft. He really impressed me at the U-18s in his draft year.

Bourgault and Del Mastro would have been a nice haul. Hopefully Munzenberger takes some strides this year, because Del Mastro sure looks to be developing nicely.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Canada's Hlinka (U18) team beat WJC '23 Team White 6-4.

Reid Schaefer lined up with Pinelli and Tschigrel, but went pointless. His former center Danielson had a hat trick in the Team White loss.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The fact that they're "forcing" this event into a date that was never going to be conducive to generating a lot of interest compared to the Christmas time extravaganza, and then the Hockey Canada scandal have just served to suck the life out of it. And now with a bunch of players opting out (for good reasons), I say good luck to the organizers.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009

So far, Petrov is one of those players. Among 18-year-olds in the OHL in 2021-22, only three players scored more goals at a higher per-game clip than Petrov did —Mason McTavish (drafted No. 3 in 2021), Brennan Othmann (No. 16), Wyatt Johnston (No. 23), and Ryan Winterton (No. 67). That’s very good company for a sixth-round pick.

While Petrov is eligible to join the Bakersfield Condors of the AHL this fall since he was drafted out of Russia and not the CHL, we’ll likely see the Oilers keep him in the OHL for another season. The Oilers have a handful of wingers turning pro and having Petrov try to make the transition as a 19-year-old doesn’t seem prudent.”

This is the first time I’m reading that Petrov will stick in the CHL next year. To me it doesn’t seem like there would be much benefit for Petrov from staying in the CHL after scoring 40goals and 90points in 62 games.

Reactions: oilers'72

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

So far, Petrov is one of those players. Among 18-year-olds in the OHL in 2021-22, only three players scored more goals at a higher per-game clip than Petrov did —Mason McTavish (drafted No. 3 in 2021), Brennan Othmann (No. 16), Wyatt Johnston (No. 23), and Ryan Winterton (No. 67). That’s very good company for a sixth-round pick.

While Petrov is eligible to join the Bakersfield Condors of the AHL this fall since he was drafted out of Russia and not the CHL, we’ll likely see the Oilers keep him in the OHL for another season. The Oilers have a handful of wingers turning pro and having Petrov try to make the transition as a 19-year-old doesn’t seem prudent.”

This is the first time I’m reading that Petrov will stick in the CHL next year. To me it doesn’t seem like there would be much benefit for Petrov from staying in the CHL after scoring 40goals and 90points in 62 games.
With Borgault, Savoie and Tullio all turning pro it’s definitely better for Petrov to be back in the OHL. Too many rookies in Bakersfield means one of them will likely get lost in the shuffle and miss out on some development, rather have him star on what should be a very good North Bay team than be a 4th line/healthy scratch AHLer.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

2-8-10 and a -16 in the postseason in North Bay to wrap up his year. There's a lot more that he can do in the OHL next season to grow his game.

North Bay is going to be one of the top teams in the league next season and a possible Mem Cup contender. At 19, Matvei has an opportunity to be more of an offensive driver next season. A role that he clearly struggled with last season in a lesser role.

There are some elite tools that this player possesses, but he's a kid still learning to adjust to the North American lifestyle and to the speed of the North American game.

He's a kid that fans will need to be very patient with.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
To me this
2-8-10 and a -16 in the postseason in North Bay to wrap up his year. There's a lot more that he can do in the OHL next season to grow his game.

North Bay is going to be one of the top teams in the league next season and a possible Mem Cup contender. At 19, Matvei has an opportunity to be more of an offensive driver next season. A role that he clearly struggled with last season in a lesser role.

There are some elite tools that this player possesses, but he's a kid still learning to adjust to the North American lifestyle and to the speed of the North American game.

To me this tells me that he needs more time against tougher competition. And the exposure to that on a top team in the OHL is going to be very limited. I can see being apart of a memorial cup team part, just think there’s more value to him being in the AHL.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think there's a ton of developmental value in being "the man" in junior.

With the top-end guys in North Bay moving on, this season will be Petrov's chance to be the #1 guy.

If he has a 20 year old season like Tullio did where he pretty much singlehandedly willed his team to wins, it'll go a long way for his future, IMO.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

The problem was, in the OHL playoffs, he was dropped down to the third line. I don't know what the coach was thinking. At least this upcoming season, he'll be a go-to guy on the first line. Brandon Coe is gone and Petrov has to provide the scoring.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The problem was, in the OHL playoffs, he was dropped down to the third line. I don't know what the coach was thinking. At least this upcoming season, he'll be a go-to guy on the first line. Brandon Coe is gone and Petrov has to provide the scoring.
He was paired up with Tarasevich and they were run as a secondary match-up line. He saw a bit of Shane Wright in Kingston series from what I remember.

It would've been nice to see him stay up on the top line, but Russell - Jackson - Coe was a tough line to break up.

Next season will be fun. Jackson and MacDonald will still be there. Guys like Arnsby, Wakely, Van Steensel will all be heading into their D+1 years and they're adding a Cornell decommit to the forward core. There will be a lot of offense.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
Nice little write up on Joel Maatta by Pronman in The Athletic in his article on the 2022 World Junior standouts and disappointments (Maatta being included in the standout category):

Joel Maatta, C, Edmonton

Maatta’s scouting report has always been focused on his work ethic, but he’s never been that impressive from a skating or skill standpoint. That’s why it was so interesting to see the recent seventh-round pick of the Oilers be elevated into a prominent scoring role for Finland with power play time. I still wouldn’t call him a natural scorer or playmaker, but he may have more skill than I thought.

Last edited:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Nikita Yevseyev had no points, no shots, was even and played 3:45 over 5 shifts, as AK Bars were shut out by Dinamo Minsk 2-0.

Sunday

KHL - Avtomobilist Ekaterinburg vs Severstal Cherepovets @ 5:30 AM - Maxim Denezkhin
VHL - Molot Perm vs Juzhny Ural Orsk @ 6 AM - Maxim Beryozkhin
I know he is no longer Oiler property but of note Ilya Konovalov had a shutout his first game and poor Eddie Pasquale who hogged the icetime from Ilya before he came here has a 793 save % in two games.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ilya Konovalov leads the KHL in wins(4) with a 1.40 GAA, 0.947 SV% and 2 shutouts through 5 games.

It's too bad we couldn't have kept his rights while he went back home.
Yeah, it sucked to lose him. Thought he looked good in the limited preseason action he got last year, and figured he had room to grow and the time to do it.

Then he was out and gone after 17 games in the AHL. Something must have gone really sour behind the scenes.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad