2021-22 OUA Hockey Thread

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Calling it here ... ZERO chance the OUA sends teams to the University Cup. Given how quickly the OUA shuts down everything, I think we'll be lucky to see the Queen's Cup played.
It obviously would suck for the conference but if we had 2-4 extra AUS/CW teams at nationals, they would likely stand a better chance than the OUA reps would...

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
It obviously would suck for the conference but if we had 2-4 extra AUS/CW teams at nationals, they would likely stand a better chance than the OUA reps would...

Respectfully disagree. You are basically arguing that the AUS's 3rd best team is better than the OUA's top team. Not true.

I've said this before and I'll say it again ... CW and the AUS have Alberta and UNB. Depending on the year, Sask and St FX join them. After those, their top teams are no better than the OUA's top teams.

UNB is currently 16-2 in the AUS. 16-2!!!!! Alberta, having a bad season, is still 9-3. That doesn't scream parity.

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Respectfully disagree. You are basically arguing that the AUS's 3rd best team is better than the OUA's top team. Not true.
Isn’t that what happened at the 2020 University Cup when SMU (AUS 3rd that year) beat Guelph (Queen’s Cup champion) 5-1?

Now having said that, you could argue given the nature of the OUA playoffs Guelph wasn’t really the best team in the conference. I also thought Ottawa (OUA 2nd) was going to beat Acadia (AUS 2nd) that year….and we all know how the Western/Saskatchewan game went.

Reactions: dm8895

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Isn’t that what happened at the 2020 University Cup when SMU (AUS 3rd that year) beat Guelph (Queen’s Cup champion) 5-1?

Now having said that, you could argue given the nature of the OUA playoffs Guelph wasn’t really the best team in the conference. I also thought Ottawa (OUA 2nd) was going to beat Acadia (AUS 2nd) that year….and we all know how the Western/Saskatchewan game went.

I hate overstating this debate based on one game ... but yes, Western beat Sask in 2020 before it got shut down.

Sadly, the OUA playoff / Queens Cup format often leads to upsets ... and Guelph's top scorer (Aagaard) left the team to turn pro that season, too. They were definitely not the best team in the OUA.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Calling it here ... ZERO chance the OUA sends teams to the University Cup. Given how quickly the OUA shuts down everything, I think we'll be lucky to see the Queen's Cup played.
I just hope that the CW and AUS don't feel compelled to follow the OUA.

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Just saw the first OUA player to head to the pros. Owen Robinson (Toronto) heading to Florida to play for the Orlando Solar Bears.

Lucas Chiodo (Guelph) heading to Europe to play in the Alps League

Cameron Hough (Ontario Tech) went to Wheeling (ECHL)

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Just saw the first OUA player to head to the pros. Owen Robinson (Toronto) heading to Florida to play for the Orlando Solar Bears.

Lucas Chiodo (Guelph) heading to Europe to play in the Alps League

Cameron Hough (Ontario Tech) went to Wheeling (ECHL)

This is not remotely surprising. If I was a USports coach and I had players with Pro aspirations, my advice would be to go now.

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Jeremy Luccini (York) heading to the German D3 league for Blue Devils Weiden

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Why is it all freshmen that are leaving?

First Year students have the least invested in their education at this point, and even if they are serious students, their (large) 1000-level courses are likely to be online anyways. So long as they are in good standing, they can take their courses from anywhere, and then return next year if they wish.

Reactions: Rob

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
First Year students have the least invested in their education at this point, and even if they are serious students, their (large) 1000-level courses are likely to be online anyways. So long as they are in good standing, they can take their courses from anywhere, and then return next year if they wish.

Can they return next year though? Most of the first-year guys are 2000 birth years, which means they turn 21 in 2021 - and thus, will be charged a year of eligibility and subject to the 365-day waiting period to return to USports. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad