2021-22 OUA Hockey Thread

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Obviously a dump with no fans is a terrible look, and the optics aren’t great, but I would much rather see 600 people in a 1000 seat dump than 1200 in a 3600 seat arena , atmosphere is way better , and as someone mentioned above , they have character , the wall at the LBR is one of a kind , and when they would allow you, on top of it was one unique view .
I personally would almost rather UNB play at the LBR and pack the place as opposed to the AUC 1/3 full strictly from an atmosphere stand point.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
LBR???
I much prefer the AUC, it's a great facility for University hockey. Attendance is down all over, due to the pandemic.
Like I said , the AUC is the superior facility and it would make no sense for this to happen, I’m just saying atmosphere wise it would be better at the LBR. In every other aspect the AUC is 10x the facility .. But no one can tell me that as cold and uncomfortable as it was , when STU had a following and was competitive that it wasn’t one of the most fun places to watch a game.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Not a definitive guide 49Sports has done a few opinion pieces that I’m not entirely sure I can buy into but also does some pretty solid work , either way it gives you some perspective on the arenas around the OUA.

U SPORTS HOCKEY: Ranking the OUA East Arenas
U SPORTS HOCKEY: Ranking the OUA West Arenas

Depends on what you want in a rink. My personal view is that the best rinks are the ones that visiting teams dread coming into, not the ones with the best amenities ... especially if the shiny new rinks are empty.

RMC's Constantine Rink is old with no amenities, a tiny ice surface, small dressing rooms, and the crowd is right on top of you. When RMC is competitive, 300 people feel like 3000. You'll never find a better atmosphere than Queens vs. RMC Carr-Harris Cup, with 1000 people jammed in (standing, literally, shoulder to shoulder around the entire ice surface) along with two college bands competing for air time.

I love the Colisee for that same reason ... it's old and cramped, with benches on opposing sides, but what a home ice advantage for UQTR. If you've never been there, think a small version of Clare Drake, with pillars obstructing your view. Add in the seemingly endless bus trip to Trois-Rivieres in January, and you get the sense of dread.

To me, the best rinks are high on that dreaded visit list: UQTR, RMC, Lakehead, Waterloo.

The next best have at least some character: Nipissing, Queens, Ryerson, McGill, Toronto.

To me, the worst rinks are the generic new rinks ... especially when they sit empty. Laurier plays at a beautiful arena ... but it's always 90% empty. Guelph, Ottawa, Carleton, Concordia, York, Brock, and Windsor all have similar facilities. Nobody really dreads those trips.

Western's crowd is so far from the ice surface they might as well not even be there. Thompson defies logic.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Depends on what you want in a rink. My personal view is that the best rinks are the ones that visiting teams dread coming into, not the ones with the best amenities ... especially if the shiny new rinks are empty.
Anyone who’s played the game knows the best barns are the ones that smell of piss , ammonia , and French fries.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

RMC's Constantine Rink is old with no amenities, a tiny ice surface, small dressing rooms, and the crowd is right on top of you. When RMC is competitive, 300 people feel like 3000. You'll never find a better atmosphere than Queens vs. RMC Carr-Harris Cup, with 1000 people jammed in (standing, literally, shoulder to shoulder around the entire ice surface) along with two college bands competing for air time.

I love the Colisee for that same reason ... it's old and cramped, with benches on opposing sides, but what a home ice advantage for UQTR. If you've never been there, think a small version of Clare Drake, with pillars obstructing your view. Add in the seemingly endless bus trip to Trois-Rivieres in January, and you get the sense of dread.

To me, the best rinks are high on that dreaded visit list: UQTR, RMC, Lakehead, Waterloo.

The next best have at least some character: Nipissing, Queens, Ryerson, McGill, Toronto.

To me, the worst rinks are the generic new rinks ... especially when they sit empty. Laurier plays at a beautiful arena ... but it's always 90% empty. Guelph, Ottawa, Carleton, Concordia, York, Brock, and Windsor all have similar facilities. Nobody really dreads those trips.

Western's crowd is so far from the ice surface they might as well not even be there. Thompson defies logic.

Agreed on all counts - When Waterloo last hosted the Queens cup, I had players tell me that the atmosphere was better than Memorial Cups or major junior finals series that they'd been a part of. Something about the small, cold rinks when they're packed; makes for a loud and miserable visiting team experience.

Reactions: Rob and MiamiHockey

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
[QUOTE="MiamiHockey, post: 181329073, member: 173163”]To me, the best rinks are high on that dreaded visit list: UQTR, RMC, Lakehead, Waterloo.[/QUOTE]

UNB’s old rink, Lady Beaverbrook Rink (LBR) and later STU’s rink was looked upon that way - weird dimensions, tight corners and a large wall at one end. Not an enjoyable place to play for visitors. Great for fans though.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON

The idea behind Thompson - which was built in 1973 I think - had positive intent that did not translate well to an exciting hockey atmosphere. It's a multi-sport fieldhouse used for hockey, indoor track & field, and figure skating. It's the track that creates the distance for the crowd from the playing surface. The design includes a number of portable bleachers which, at the time it was built, created seating capacity of a little over 5,000 (it has since been reduced to about 3,000 I believe). The original bulding also had a curling rink on the other side of the concourse, and you could watch games from the concourse during the intermissions - that part of the building was demolished when they built the ajoining atheletic centre about 10 years back. Western had a number of very good hockey teams in the 80's with strong playoff runs (though they never won the Queen's Cup) - during that period, they would pretty much fill the rink in the years when they made the finals - I remember in particular a game 3 Queen's Cup final against York (York won) in the late 80's and the place was packed. But the reality is, those are exceptions and I don't think they even pull out the portable bleachers on the west side in the playoffs anymore. There's a real lack of support for both the men's and women's hockey teams, so Thompson always feels cavernous during their games.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I hope usports continue late January but I have doubt with that. I expect few guys going pro in January
And honestly, I wouldn’t blame them. All of the players were told they needed to be vaccinated under the guise of being able to play and have a “normal season”…and look what happened anyways?

I highly doubt any of the pro leagues get shut down. IMO it’s ridiculous that anything is getting shut down given the current vaccination/hospitalization/death rates….we can’t be locking everything down every time cases start to go up….but that’s a discussion for another forum so I will leave it at that.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
edit: not about to start a war about COVID .
Didn’t say anything crazy, but I agree with Ausfan . It’s nice to have one place to go and not be in discussion about opinions on Covid

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Vaxx is a fail. Over 20% of Vaxxed NHLers have tested positive. That was not in any brochures.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Regardless of your thoughts on Covid or vaccines, this is not the place to discuss. This is a Hockey forum.

I apologize if I offend anyone, but I see enough BS on FB and Twitter and don't need to see it here.

Thank you for understanding.
I may not agree with your UNB takes , but you seem to be the main voice of reason around here haha.
I just came on thinking I should delete my post .

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I may not agree with your UNB takes , but you seem to be the main voice of reason around here haha.
I just came on thinking I should delete my post .

fwiw, my "UNB takes" are chirps at you guys. I'm friends with Gards and have a lot of respect for him and the program. I'll chirp any team if the opportunity arises, but UNB is my favorite target.

Reactions: dm8895

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Now that the NHL has cancelled cross-border games until after Christmas, and the OUA is off until January 24th, it might be time to consider what happens if lots of games are cancelled without time for rescheduling. I think it might be time to consider treating the regular season like exhibition games with conference tournaments to follow. That way there's time to get whatever games a team can with nothing but tournament seeding on the line. 4-5 days in a conference bubble and 4-5 days in a national bubble.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I think it might be time to consider treating the regular season like exhibition games with conference tournaments to follow. That way there's time to get whatever games a team can with nothing but tournament seeding on the line. 4-5 days in a conference bubble and 4-5 days in a national bubble.
So you're going for the old Dubble Bubble strategy, eh?

Dubble Bubble Bucket.jpg

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Now that the NHL has cancelled cross-border games until after Christmas, and the OUA is off until January 24th, it might be time to consider what happens if lots of games are cancelled without time for rescheduling. I think it might be time to consider treating the regular season like exhibition games with conference tournaments to follow. That way there's time to get whatever games a team can with nothing but tournament seeding on the line. 4-5 days in a conference bubble and 4-5 days in a national bubble.

Calling it here ... ZERO chance the OUA sends teams to the University Cup. Given how quickly the OUA shuts down everything, I think we'll be lucky to see the Queen's Cup played.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad