2021-22 OUA Hockey Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Their regular season is under way so they deserve their own thread.

A real difference this season with four divisions and only divisional play. Good for travel. Rivalries will probably because very heated by the second half.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Question. What is their playoff format for this season? A single tournament?
I think so…single elimination.

Good opportunity to see some new teams at the UCup if someone goes on a Cinderella run…although that usually happens anyways (ie/ Western in 2020). I think the OUA playoffs will be wild this year with the teams not really knowing each other. How good is Queens really considering their division? The 5th place team in the Far East division might be a 2nd place team in the other divisions.

Not sure on how they determine what teams make it or how they are seeded? Is it the top 4 from every division? Top 3 and next four best records? Is it divisional play at first before crossing over? Or is everyone just ranked 1-16? Maybe one of the OUA guys can explain…

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I think so…single elimination.

Good opportunity to see some new teams at the UCup if someone goes on a Cinderella run…although that usually happens anyways (ie/ Western in 2020). I think the OUA playoffs will be wild this year with the teams not really knowing each other. How good is Queens really considering their division? The 5th place team in the Far East division might be a 2nd place team in the other divisions.

Not sure on how they determine what teams make it or how they are seeded? Is it the top 4 from every division? Top 3 and next four best records? Is it divisional play at first before crossing over? Or is everyone just ranked 1-16? Maybe one of the OUA guys can explain…

Playoffs are divisional: 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 in each division, then winners play for division title - all single game elimination. Then, I believe Far West winner will play West winner, and Far east winner will play east winner in the semis (also single elimination). Then, a queens Cup game and a bronze medal game as usual.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Playoffs are divisional: 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 in each division, then winners play for division title - all single game elimination. Then, I believe Far West winner will play West winner, and Far east winner will play east winner in the semis (also single elimination). Then, a queens Cup game and a bronze medal game as usual.
There are only four teams in the East division…so they all automatically make the playoffs while a strong Far East team will be left out? That’s rough.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Four Thoughts on the OUA.
1) The single elimination is beyond idiotic, as it renders the regular season useless. They will end up with upsets and weaker teams at the University Cup.
2) Queens is very strong, a legitimate UCup contender, and could easily go undefeated against Nipissing, RMC, and Ontario Tech. It won't, but it will come close. The big problem for Queens is that RMC or Ontario Tech could easily upset them in a single-elimination game ... and even if they don't, Queens will then have to face much better teams in the playoffs after an entire season of weaker opposition.
3) The Far East has 5 UCup contenders. Why they couldn't find a way to merge the Far East and East this season defies logic.
4) The OUA has always been a very poorly run conference because the leadership has long come from the smaller schools.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Why can’t they do a CW-style best of 3 - Fri/Sat/Sun with all games at higher seed?
They don't have enough time. Such playoffs would need 3 weeks of series plus the Queen's Cup/Bronze Game. The regular season did not start until November.

I don't mind the single knock-out. The NCAA does that for regionals and some conference finals. In all sports, the conference tournament often involves all teams. But there should be a cross-over. For example:

Weekend #1:

Straight knock-out mini-tournaments in four locations.

Far East #1 hosts 4-team tournament:
Far East #1 v East #4
East #2 v Far East #3

East #1 hosts 4-team tournament:
East #1 v Far East #4
Far East #2 v East #3

Far West #1 hosts 4-team tournament:
Far West #1 v West #4
West #2 v Far West #3

West #1 hosts 4-team tournament:
West #1 v Far West #4
Far West #2 v West #3

(You could also have #4 v #5 in a play-in quarter-final if wanted.)

Weekend #2

The four winners would play in one location, with two semi-finals, Queen's Cup, and bronze game.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Four Thoughts on the OUA.
1) The single elimination is beyond idiotic, as it renders the regular season useless. They will end up with upsets and weaker teams at the University Cup.
2) Queens is very strong, a legitimate UCup contender, and could easily go undefeated against Nipissing, RMC, and Ontario Tech. It won't, but it will come close. The big problem for Queens is that RMC or Ontario Tech could easily upset them in a single-elimination game ... and even if they don't, Queens will then have to face much better teams in the playoffs after an entire season of weaker opposition.
3) The Far East has 5 UCup contenders. Why they couldn't find a way to merge the Far East and East this season defies logic.
4) The OUA has always been a very poorly run conference because the leadership has long come from the smaller schools.

You’re not wrong about the format being ridiculous. I’m just willing to cut them some slack due to the shortened season

Reactions: MiamiHockey

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
You’re not wrong about the format being ridiculous. I’m just willing to cut them some slack due to the shortened season
The peculiar thing is that many teams played exhibition games exclusively (or predominantly) outside their division. This would indicate to me that they don't have a problem with the travel.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Travel restrictions are not an issue. Money is, and this saves money.
Here are three options that would be better:

1) Cut the playoffs to 2 teams per division and then do 2-of-3 series
2) Cut the playoffs to 3 teams per division with a Tuesday night single-game elimination for 2 vs 3.
3) Double-elimination playoff format.

Each of those scenarios would make the regular season more meaningful. With 4/5 teams making it in each division, the entire season comes down to 1 game for each contending team, which is ridiculous at this level.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Travel restrictions are not an issue. Money is, and this saves money.
Here are three options that would be better:

1) Cut the playoffs to 2 teams per division and then do 2-of-3 series
2) Cut the playoffs to 3 teams per division with a Tuesday night single-game elimination for 2 vs 3.
3) Double-elimination playoff format.

Each of those scenarios would make the regular season more meaningful. With 4/5 teams making it in each division, the entire season comes down to 1 game for each contending team, which is ridiculous at this level.
They don't have enough time for even that. Their season goes to the end of February, when the CW and AUS are playing semi-finals. All they could do is give 1st place teams a bye.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
They don't have enough time for even that. Their season goes to the end of February, when the CW and AUS are playing semi-finals. All they could do is give 1st place teams a bye.

They don't have time now given how they set their schedule ... but they would have had time if they had planned better.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Man alot of these Arenas are dumpy and make these games hard to watch feel bad for these Players and teams that play good and competitive hockey and can't draw 500 fans looks like Junior A with bigger players
It’s awful , but it’s also part of the charm of university hockey , it’s like watching a no frills ECHL, hockey is the main and only spectacle .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The old ACA rink, SMU, the old barn in Antigonish, Mount A rink. The Lady Beav with the "wall".

Lots of memories from the dumps.

Reactions: dm8895

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Man alot of these Arenas are dumpy and make these games hard to watch feel bad for these Players and teams that play good and competitive hockey and can't draw 500 fans looks like Junior A with bigger players

Varsity Arena in Toronto is my personal favourite rink - it's like stepping back in time. Clare Drake is also outstanding, along with the Kingston Memorial Centre. These new cookie-cutter arenas have nice sightlines but no character. Father Bauer and Wayne Fleming have the ambience of a funeral home.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Varsity Arena in Toronto is my personal favourite rink - it's like stepping back in time. Clare Drake is also outstanding, along with the Kingston Memorial Centre. These new cookie-cutter arenas have nice sightlines but no character. Father Bauer and Wayne Fleming have the ambience of a funeral home.
Was watching the Brock game yesterday and they had like no fans for a great game

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Obviously a dump with no fans is a terrible look, and the optics aren’t great, but I would much rather see 600 people in a 1000 seat dump than 1200 in a 3600 seat arena , atmosphere is way better , and as someone mentioned above , they have character , the wall at the LBR is one of a kind and when they would allow you on top of it , it was one unique view .
I personally would almost rather UNB play at the LBR and pack the place as opposed to the AUC 1/3 full strictly from an atmosphere stand point.

Last edited:

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
What is the worst rink in the OUA? Ottawa, RMC and York seem to have pretty bad rinks.

Constantine is a great place to watch a game. When there’s lots of people and the Cadets and RMC is playing well or winning, it can get very loud in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad