Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part IV Playoffs? I Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think any Achilles injury would have been known right after they took his skate off. I am guessing it’s some sort of fracture in the leg or ankle.
Yeah, I don't think it's something really obvious like a break or blowing up his achilles, but I do expect this to be more than a week to week injury once they've completed their evaluation. They likely know more than they're letting on already, but week to week sounds a little optimistic.

Reactions: DAkings20

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Was relieved when I heard week to week but then I remembered them giving a similar time length for Greene and he was out most of the season.

It is what it is, good thing he's on the young side

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
See, this is the problem. He's played one NHL game, and yes he scored in it, but it's one game. He hasn't even made the Kings yet, probably because he's 19 years old. Maybe he makes them this year, we'll see, but when you ask what more he has to prove, I'd say make the actual roster would be step one. He's scoring in the pre-season and the AHL, that's wonderful but also not a big deal. That'll get you on the team, not the top line. Make the team, score a few goals and you'll move up.
Yea he scored in his one nhl game. Then he scored in his preseason game. For a team that is starving for goal scorers that should be enough to make the team Id think. Scoring in the AHL and preseason is a big deal for someone that is only being played in those kind of games.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think any Achilles injury would have been known right after they took his skate off. I am guessing it’s some sort of fracture in the leg or ankle.
I'm sure he got an X-ray already. If it was a bone fracture in the ankle we'd be hearing at least two months, possibly surgery. I think week-to-week means a bad sprain, maybe some ligament or tendon damage but not a major tear.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yea he scored in his one nhl game. Then he scored in his preseason game. For a team that is starving for goal scorers that should be enough to make the team Id think. Scoring in the AHL and preseason is a big deal for someone that is only being played in those kind of games.

It’s Kaliyev’s play when he’s not scoring that is keeping him off the roster. It’s not good, but not particularly bad either. As fast as he’s been picking things up, I expect him to get that sorted this year in the AHL. I don’t think it will take him a full season, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get a mid-year callup and stick, ala Toffoli. Right now, he’s not where he needs to be to warrant a roster spot and he needs to sort that out in a more forgiving environment, not one where being a bit behind on your reactions usually leads to scoring chances for the other team.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
It’s Kaliyev’s play when he’s not scoring that is keeping him off the roster. It’s not good, but not particularly bad either. As fast as he’s been picking things up, I expect him to get that sorted this year in the AHL. I don’t think it will take him a full season, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get a mid-year callup and stick, ala Toffoli. Right now, he’s not where he needs to be to warrant a roster spot and he needs to sort that out in a more forgiving environment, not one where being a bit behind on your reactions usually leads to scoring chances for the other team.
Yea i get it. Though browns play away from the puck leaves a lot to be desired also. And kaliyevs scoring may be worth his warts compared to having wagner on the roster. The reality is he needs more time in the ahl but not much and a lot of teams would have him playing now.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
At this point, I just want the Kings to rehab Byfield, get him 100%, and return him to junior.

Let him dominate for a season, be fully healthy, his contract will slide, and we just start over next season when he's 20 and hopefully grown into himself a bit.

why junior when he can play in the AHL?

Reactions: go4hockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Injuries to AA and Q likely means no Kings forwards will go on waivers to start the season. Roster management will once again rule the day.

Thought AA was out till he was 2 weeks after his second shot? Although I would have thought that date would have come and gone by now.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
why junior when he can play in the AHL?

Turcotte, Madden, Thomas, Tynen, JAD if he plays center, Sodergran, etc.

The Reign are overloaded with centers. Who gets booted if he plays there? You want Tyler Madden to sit out so Byfield can play? The Reign have enough guys.

Let Byfield go grow into his body and dominate in the OHL. He's barely 19, too young to play in the AHL anyway if it weren't for this unique loophole this one season only. Any other year he'd be in the OHL without thinking about it. In the AHL he'll probably still struggle.

Either he's a project that needs years to develop, or he's NHL-ready right now and should be dominating like you expect from a second overall. You can't have both.

If he's a project, let him play where 19-year-olds play. In junior.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thought AA was out till he was 2 weeks after his second shot? Although I would have thought that date would have come and gone by now.

The official stance from the Kings is that he was on the ice early in camp and suffered an upper body injury.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

The Reign are overloaded with centers. Who gets booted if he plays there? You want Tyler Madden to sit out so Byfield can play? The Reign have enough guys.

Let Byfield go grow into his body and dominate in the OHL. He's barely 19, too young to play in the AHL anyway if it weren't for this unique loophole this one season only. Any other year he'd be in the OHL without thinking about it. In the AHL he'll probably still struggle.

Either he's a project that needs years to develop, or he's NHL-ready right now and should be dominating like you expect from a second overall. You can't have both.

He was arguably the best player on the NHL ice last night and you want him to go back to junior?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I would rather him pay against men and be training in the same facility as the kings than in the OHL. Turcotte, Madden, JAD and/or Thomas need to see the center depth and realize the best way to make it to the NHL as a king is to switch to wing and excel. Don't want those guys to sit but to move positionally.

I think when he is back from injury he spends a handful of games in the AHL for conditioning than comes back to the NHL>

Reactions: go4hockey

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Madden hasn't played center at all with Ontario. Nor has Sodergran. One or more of the other guys are very possibly going to have to convert to the wing as well if they want a shot at the NHL. Furthermore, Byfield is better than all of them. This is a complete non factor.

He was one of the Reign's best players last year. He won't "probably still struggle."

Why is it "years to develop" or "right now?" That's just silly, there's acres of middle ground between the two.

He's not going back to junior, that would be detrimental to his development. When he recovers from his injury, however long that is, he'll likely join the Reign to get back up to speed and get called up once a lineup spot opens up. The coaches are here, the training staff is here, the facilities are here, his teammates are here, the competition is here. Byfield will be here.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

"Make the team"... Which is exactly what I said is the first step for him to do. He's not replacing Brown until he's on the team and showing he can. Want him to replace Brown? Have him in the line up for probably 20-25 games then we can maybe start to have that discussion.

Reactions: Schmooley

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Byfield is a #2 overall pick and has looked pretty good in camp so far. I'd sit any of those names you mentioned for him. I'd sit them all if I had to. The guy is a potential superstar, I'm not worrying if I ruin a JAD or a Tynen to give him every opportunity to be Kopitar 2.0

And he didn't struggle in the AHL last year. I'm glad you're not handling player development.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's competition, there's insulation, and then there's just too many guys. Why sign Tynan? Dude's the reigning AHL MVP. Why trade for, and then qualify, Burke? Why bring Sutter back? In addition to re-signing Lizotte and AA.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
There's competition, there's insulation, and then there's just too many guys. Why sign Tynan? Dude's the reigning AHL MVP. Why trade for, and then qualify, Burke? Why bring Sutter back? In addition to re-signing Lizotte and AA.

Meh probably overreacted to last year where the young guys definitely need insulation. To many games with big leads blown, late leads blown, and overall blowouts. With these adds, and Kings prospect pool, you hope they are one of the top teams in the league.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Vets for the farm for the first three. All good organizations surround their kids in the minors with vets who know how to be pros and leaders. Kings brass felt those guys were up to the task, or at least as up to the task as could be found. Lizotte is just a 4th liner who could be waived easily. AA? f***ed if I know.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Vets for the farm for the first three. All good organizations surround their kids in the minors with vets who know how to be pros and leaders. Kings brass felt those guys were up to the task, or at least as up to the task as could be found. Lizotte is just a 4th liner who could be waived easily. AA? f***ed if I know.

But they have a ton of young guys. A guy like Tynan is trying to eek out a hockey career making a couple hundred thousand a year on short term deals. He's not trying to babysit kids. He's going to come to LA to be the, 3rd C in Ontario? And hurt his own stock?

In terms of it being crazy for Byfield to go back to junios.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
But they have a ton of young guys. A guy like Tynan is trying to eek out a hockey career making a couple hundred thousand a year on short term deals. He's not trying to babysit kids. He's going to come to LA to be the, 3rd C in Ontario? And hurt his own stock?

In terms of it being crazy for Byfield to go back to junios.

He knew what he was getting into when he signed on the dotted line. It's not like we had no one and all these kids showed up in the pipeline three weeks ago.

Reactions: BringTheReign
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad