2021-22 ECHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Switching gears from the previous (and sporadic) FloHockey.tv ECHL weekly "Power Rankings," here's an alternative from the same source ...

ECHL Playoff Primer: Americans, Heartlanders Fight For Playoffs

As the ECHL season comes to a close, only a handful of teams have solidified the top playoff spots, many more are are still fighting for the postseason.

Mar 15, 2022 by Mike Ashmore

Introducing a new, weekly feature as part of FloHockey’s coverage of the ECHL, we’re bringing you a playoff primer to help you better understand the postseason races in each division as the regular season winds down. ...

First, understanding the format for the Kelly Cup Playoffs is important. Back in January, the ECHL announced that playoff spots will be based on points percentage at the conclusion of the regular season in the event teams do not complete all regularly scheduled games.

Even with the league likely past the string of COVID-related postponements that plagued it earlier this year, not all teams will play their full allotment of games. Western Conference teams are likely to play all 72, but some in the Eastern Conference will not, leading to the necessary points percentage formula.

Based on final points percentage, the division semifinals in each division will see the first-place team meet the fourth-place finisher and the second-place team take on the third-place team. The two winners in each division will meet in the division finals, with those winners advancing to the conference finals. Then the Eastern Conference champion will meet the Western Conference champion in the 2022 Kelly Cup Finals. ...

Now let’s take a look at each division’s respective playoff situations, as well as look ahead to which games ... will affect those races this upcoming week. ...

Read more at (with no further ado but an occasional plug):

Reactions: Roadhog

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Switching gears from the previous (and sporadic) FloHockey.tv ECHL weekly "Power Rankings," here's an alternative from the same source ...
Thanks for the update.

The Royals are 10-0-0-1 in their last 11, and looking to lock up that #1 seed. However, due to the rescheduled games from December they are playing 8 games in the next 10 days. Fortunately they are all home games, but that is still a pretty brutal stretch. They then get a four day break, and finish the season with ten games over the final sixteen days, including travel to Trois-Rivieres, Maine and Adirondack. Once they get to the playoffs, a seven game series over 12 days, with a day off for travel will seem like a vacation.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Saw my first Reading Royals game of this season tonight. They are a very impressive squad, with offensive lines clicking & the defense starting quick transitions up ice. They seem to be in playoff form. :handclap:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Saw my first Reading Royals game of this season tonight. They are a very impressive squad, with offensive lines clicking & the defense starting quick transitions up ice. They seem to be in playoff form. :handclap:
They did look good last night, and I was impressed how they stayed in synch even with several lineup changes. Philly traded away some players at the deadline, so LV took a couple players back.

I maintain the display case on the concourse with the hats that are thrown on the ice for hat tricks. Someone tossed a Railers hat last night. I'm not sure why a Royals fan would have a Railers hat to throw, so I'm guessing that was a Railers' fan in the building who came down for the two game set. Don't often see a visiting fan throw their hat for a home team hat trick. In fact, I've never seen that before, and I have a fair amount of actual data to go by. I'll clap for a great save, or impressive pass or shot by an opposing player, but I've never thrown my hat for an opponents hat trick. Great sportsmanship by that fan to salute an opposing players achievement - if that's what it was.

Reactions: Royalsflagrunner77

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I maintain the display case on the concourse with the hats that are thrown on the ice for hat tricks. Someone tossed a Railers hat last night. I'm not sure why a Royals fan would have a Railers hat to throw, so I'm guessing that was a Railers' fan in the building who came down for the two game set. Don't often see a visiting fan throw their hat for a home team hat trick. In fact, I've never seen that before, and I have a fair amount of actual data to go by. I'll clap for a great save, or impressive pass or shot by an opposing player, but I've never thrown my hat for an opponents hat trick. Great sportsmanship by that fan to salute an opposing players achievement - if that's what it was.
Or maybe it was an expression of resolute disgust, after that visiting fan watched their team blow two leads in the game.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Or maybe it was an expression of resolute disgust, after that visiting fan watched their team blow two leads in the game.
That's possible. Or maybe just one of those fans who hates when their team pulls the goalie with over two minutes left and ends up getting scored on with the empty net. I know there are plenty of Royals fans like that. They seemingly would rather lose by a goal or two with the goalie on the ice than to go for it and try to get the win (or the loser point) by tying it up with the goalie pulled. I can see someone with that attitude throwing their hat in disgust. Particularly because it was pretty clear what the Royals were trying to do by double shifting Gooch at the end, and with him playing the high forward position at the blue line trying to tip every cross ice pass, and taking off for the Railers zone on every potential clearing attempt. I think that is his third hat trick this season, and at least the sixth for the team.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

ECHL Playoff Primer: Tulsa, Allen Battle For Playoff Spots

As the ECHL season comes to a close, only a handful of teams have solidified the top playoff spots and many more are are still fighting for the postseason.

Mar 22, 2022 by Mike Ashmore

FloHockey’s weekly ECHL playoff primer returns, keeping track of all the key races in each of the four divisions. Preparing viewers ready for the games ahead this upcoming week—as seen exclusively on FloHockey—that will matter the most as the race to get into the Kelly Cup Playoffs comes down to the wire.

A reminder that after the league’s late-January announcement, standings for advancement to the postseason are determined by points percentage.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

NORTH DIVISION

Currently In:
Reading (.679)
Newfoundland (.657)
Worcester (.536)
Trois-Rivières (.509)

Currently Out:
Maine (.500)
Adirondack (.448) ...

SOUTH DIVISION

Currently In:
Atlanta (.656)
Florida (.642)
Jacksonville (.619)
Orlando (.517)

Currently Out:
Greenville (.509)
Norfolk (.381)
South Carolina (.377) ...

WESTERN CONFERENCE

CENTRAL DIVISION

Currently In:
Toledo (.703)
Fort Wayne (.595)
Wheeling (.552)
Cincinnati (.542)

Currently Out:
Kalamazoo (.534)
Iowa (.508)
Indy (.474) ...

MOUNTAIN DIVISION

Currently In:
Utah (.615)
Rapid City (.583)
Idaho (.533)
Allen (.526)

Currently Out:
Tulsa (.516)
Kansas City (.492)
Wichita (.467) ...

Read about Quick Takes & Key Games at:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
There have been a significant number of game postponements & reschedules over the ECHL 2021-22 season (just ask the Reading fans), but the League is still on track to complete their regular season schedule on Sunday April 17th with playoffs to follow. Here is a snapshot of the ECHL standings by Division two weeks ahead of the final stacks. Just 5 teams so far have secured playoff appearances, with Toledo being the only team to clinch their Division (their 93 total points leading the League). So the games in these last two weeks should look a lot like "playoff hockey."

ETA: A belated (and related) Playoff Primer from FloHockey.tv.

1649033640700.png

1649033699334.png

1649033753946.png

1649033868414.png

Last edited:
Reactions: royals119

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Without showing my math....

Reading can clinch the North Division title with a win @ Maine Wednesday

Trois-Rivieres’ magic number to clinch a playoff berth is three points

Worcester’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is five points.

T-R and Worcester’s playoff berths are based on Maine winning out its remaining schedule.

Reactions: Roadhog

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Updated standings.
So the good news for Maine is T-R and Worcester play each other 3 out of the 4 remaining games, so they can't both win those games (although they can go to overtime which would be bad). The bad news for Maine is they play two each vs Reading and Newfoundland, and no matter what Worcester and T-R do, Maine needs to win those games to move up.

Reactions: wildcat48

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Thunder’s “Rizzo” Works Milestone Game as Equipment Manager

by Matthew Harding
April 6, 2022

WICHITA, Kan. - They are the MVPs for any team.

The ultimate “first to arrive, last to leave guys.”

The “unsung heroes” in any organization. ...

Fill in whatever phrase you want, but there is little doubt the equipment manager is the super glue that holds a team together.

No one embodies those traits more than Wichita Thunder Equipment Manager Frank Jury, who will work his 2500th professional hockey game as equipment manager today when the Thunder hosts the Tulsa Oilers in a Kids Day game.

For the man they call “Rizzo,” the love affair with his career started at the ripe young age of six. ...

Read more at:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Magic/Tragic Numbers based on Maine earning maximum points

Maine – 74 pts = .5138
73 pts = .5069
72 pts = .500

Trois-Rivieres magic number remains 1 point. Trois-Rivieres can clinch with any victory (Reg, OT, SO) in their final two games or any loss (Reg, OT, SO) by Maine.

TR – 71 pts = .5144

Worcester’s magic number is now 3 points. They can clinch with any victory (Reg, OT, SO) and any Maine loss (Reg, OT, SO) in the final two games.

WOR – 74 pts = .5211
73 pts = .5140
72 pts = .5070

(Worcester currently holds all tiebreakers)

Remaining Schedule:
Trois-Rivieres:
Worcester – 2H

Maine:
Newfoundland – 2H

Worcester:
Trois-Rivieres – 2A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad