NHL 2021-2022 NHL Out of Town Thread XIII - 2022 STANLEY CUP FINAL - Colorado Avalanche Cup Champions - Makar wins Conn Smythe

Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Tampa Bay Lightning

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Colorado Avalanche

Votes: 68 70.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't have any problems with any other Cup winners in my lifetime, with the exception of that 2020 one. For the reasons that I've stated...
try asking a player how spending 2 months in the bubble was easy during a pandemic. yep walk in the park we all could do it. it was a neutral sight with no home ice

Reactions: NDiesel

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
DOG DAYS.JPG

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The billionaire businessman, who owns the Colorado Mammoth, Rapids, Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Rams and Arsenal F.C., has now won a Super Bowl and Stanley Cup as an owner in the span of five months. Kroenke's Rams beat the Bengals in February and the Avalanche, which Kroenke has owned since 2000, won the franchise's third Stanley Cup Sunday over the two-time defending champion Tampa Bay Lightning, adding to Kroenke's success.

"They’re such a great team, they play and they wait for your vulnerabilities, and I thought that showed our poise," Kroenke said on the ice after the game. "The other team was so poised and I thought we matched them and (goalie) Darcy (Kuemper) made a couple of big saves and we outlasted them."

The Mammoth also won the National Lacrosse League Cup earlier this month, giving Kroenke three championships.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I thought the quality of play was outstanding in the finals.

The best in quite some time really.

Differing perspectives on these things is funny and unique. I say that because I thoroughly enjoyed the Finals. I thought it was very exciting.

To me Tampa looked visibly out of gas and I just never really got the sense that they had a legit shot at winning the series at any point. Especially once Colorado went up 3-1.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not shedding any tears for the Lightning but other than Makar, who is an amazing talent, this Avalanche team didn't really do anything for me either. :dunno:

It's interesting, looking back at the past nine Finals since the playoff format change, six of them have had a team go up 3-1 and wrap things up in Game 5 or Game 6 (2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022) . Only one series has gone to Game 7, that being our very own Bruins against the Blues in 2019. :banghead:

Under the salary cap, the previous playoff format resulted in three seven game series in eight years (2006, 2008, 2011). Four of the eight series did result in teams going up 3-1 (2006, 2007, 2008, 2012) but in 2006 the Oilers did manage to make things interesting by pushing Carolina to seven games.

I'm rambling but if you look at things from the perspective that the 2006-2013 resulted in 3/8 lopsided finals and 2014-present has resulted in 6/9 lopsided finals, it does seem to back up the notion that the Finals haven't been as close since the playoff format change.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
To me Tampa looked visibly out of gas and I just never really got the sense that they had a legit shot at winning the series at any point. Especially once Colorado went up 3-1.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not shedding any tears for the Lightning but other than Makar, who is an amazing talent, this Avalanche team didn't really do anything for me either. :dunno:

It's interesting, looking back at the past nine Finals since the playoff format change, six of them have had a team go up 3-1 and wrap things up in Game 5 or Game 6 (2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022) . Only one series has gone to Game 7, that being our very own Bruins against the Blues in 2019. :banghead:

Under the salary cap, the previous playoff format resulted in three seven game series in eight years (2006, 2008, 2011). Four of the eight series did result in teams going up 3-1 (2006, 2007, 2008, 2012) but in 2006 the Oilers did manage to make things interesting by pushing Carolina to seven games.

I'm rambling but if you look at things from the perspective that the 2006-2013 resulted in 3/8 lopsided finals and 2014-present has resulted in 6/9 lopsided finals, it does seem to back up the notion that the Finals haven't been as close since the playoff format change.
I generally agree. I thought Avs were the better team and I agree the Bolts looked, understandably, tired. Point missing was a big hole as well.

While I agree that the outcome was maybe somewhat predictable, a lot of that to me was the speed that Colorado played with. I don’t think Bolts had an answer to that.

I thought it was a physical series, the Avs were fast, and it was pretty chippy without being STL run for defender’s head kind of chippy. Which, to me is good, I enjoy some snarl. I particularly enjoyed watching Manson play with snarl.

Although it may not have been nail bitingly tight throughout, I found myself almost wishing Tampa won game 6 just because I wanted to see another game — although not really because if it went 7 I was afraid Vasilevsky would steal it. That said, wanting it to go to game 7 was a sign that I was enjoying the series.

Maker is a stud. Lots here will criticize the comparisons to Orr (he is not Bobby Orr who I saw play live) but he is perhaps the closest thing I’ve seen in some time. He will not transform the game for defensemen because Bobby already did that. However, there are some similarities. If he stays healthy he will have an extraordinary career. Again, he’s not Bobby Orr but he is special. He takes over games and as a defenseman, that’s pretty good.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
If anyone needs a pick-me-up there's a video online of Pat Maroon crying after losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad