Speculation: 2021-2022 General Lightning Discussion

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Was talking with a buddy of mine who is a Blues fan and loves Sergachev. He asked what it would take from St. Louis to get him and i suggested something around Kostin, Perunovich, +. Would that be fair value?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Was talking with a buddy of mine who is a Blues fan and loves Sergachev. He asked what it would take from St. Louis to get him and i suggested something around Kostin, Perunovich, +. Would that be fair value?
Perunovich looks somewhat interesting. Both are going to need new RFA contracts. If one of our RFAs has to go, I'd really prefer it to be for someone on their ELC (finishing their first year at the latest) and a natural C or D with a good chance of making it in the NHL. Bolduc would fit the profile but I suspect they're pretty high on him.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Perunovich looks somewhat interesting. Both are going to need new RFA contracts. If one of our RFAs has to go, I'd really prefer it to be for someone on their ELC (finishing their first year at the latest) and a natural C or D with a good chance of making it in the NHL. Bolduc would fit the profile but I suspect they're pretty high on him.
someone made a post on capfriendly that had Bolduc, Kostin, STL 2022 1st, and Hoefer for Sergachev straight up

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
someone made a post on capfriendly that had Bolduc, Kostin, STL 2022 1st, and Hoefer for Sergachev straight up
I don't even know who Hoefer is, but I'd strongly consider that. I don't feel like figuring it out, but the STL 1st will be something like 20th?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

There's some good pieces in that package but I'll pass. Doesn't really give us anyone that will make our roster, Kostin is probably another Katchouk/Raddysh level tweener. I like Bolduc, the 1st is nice. Hofer is a really good goalie prospect but I feel like goalie prospects don't do much for us.

I'd rather see how he performs in a contract year before trading him. I still think he's a good defender, but I think he has some confidence issues he needs to work on when it comes to handling the puck. I have a theory that it's all mental for him right now.

Reactions: Peacefool

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Good value overall, but no one that likely helps next season. Another trade was Barbashev, Mikkola, Simon Robertsson and StL '22 1st for Serg. A package with L.A. for something around Roy, one of Chromiak/Fagemo/Vilardi/Kupari and L.A.'s 1st(#18 or 19 I think) could also be interesting if JBB was listening on offers. Also saw an offer of Bjornfot, Chromiak and L.A.'s 2nd that gives Tampa an LD replacement as well in that case.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No reason to deal Sergachev yet unless another team just blows us away, and that isn't a blow away deal.

Having dealt our next two 1sts, I think we have to continue to stack the team at the expense of futures before reloading the farm.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Serge needs to work on some mental aspects of the game. Mental fatigue, decisions under pressure, etc.

Elite players have off-season coaches for everything now. Seems like a job for a sports psychologist.

It feels like (and TB would be the ones to track it) Serge primarily has his brain farts on long shifts.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I see game 7 of NY vs Carolina is on Monday. So is it looking like Wednesday or Thursday for game 1 ECF then?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Carolina, they're softer, have fewer top-end stars, and are basically the same team we beat in 5 last year, except with worse goaltending (unless Andersen comes back and plays great), worse special teams, and an ineptness on the road. The games might still be tight though because they do have a solid system, unlike the Rangers who seem to freelance it a bit.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Carolina has been the better team by a mile in the series against New York, I don't know what you people are watching. NYR has a beter goalie and more toughness but when it comes down to actual hockey, there is a clear gap between them. I also see more fatigue in the Rangers than Canes overall.

I cannot stand the Hurricanes and nothing would please me more than to beat them again, but I'm not a huge fan of that matchup compared to NYR.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hoping the Canes win after about a dozen overtimes

Carolina has been the better team by a mile in the series against New York, I don't know what you people are watching. NYR has a beter goalie and more toughness but when it comes down to actual hockey, there is a clear gap between them. I also see more fatigue in the Rangers than Canes overall.

I cannot stand the Hurricanes and nothing would please me more than to beat them again, but I'm not a huge fan of that matchup compared to NYR.
Just a stylistic thing. They look like a team we would trap to death.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
I've only been able to watch bits and pieces of the Rags v Canes. I know Trouba has been getting some ink for some big hits in the playoffs but beyond that I haven't heard and it has not appeared in my limited watching of it to be a particularly physical series. Has it been?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Just because they're the better team between them and the Rangers doesn't mean they're a tougher matchup for us.
Regardless of how the NYR/CAR series plays out, I see the latter as a tougher matchup. It's not because they look better than the Rangers in the current series (which they do), but what they bring to the table overall as a team. Better depth, more playoff experience in recent years, and familiarity with our team.

Even though we took out Carolina last season, they outplayed us for a substantial portion of that series while it lasted. I say again, with equal goaltending, we would've been in some real trouble. Yes, they are one of the softest teams in the league but at the same time, they can stick to a gameplan and get everyone to "buy in" as well as almost any other team in the league imo.

Rangers have the edge in net, and grit, over Carolina but not much else. I think fatigue and experience would come into play more so vs NYR than against CAR, which is why I'd prefer the matchup. Either way, I'm just excited to see the Bolts in action again soon.

Reactions: Peacefool

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So... for those of you as pessimistic as I am about this series... what do we do in the off-season?

I mean, we have to acknowledge that we made the final 4, beating the Leafs (who set a franchise record this year) and the President's Trophy pretender Panthers... So it's not like we're not contenders going into next year.

In a way, it's like adding Brayden Point to a team that made the final 4.

On the other hand, the Rangers have looked so much better than us (IMO) that I'm not sure if Point alone is enough to make us even with them. So do we take a year to sell some assets and retool? Honestly I'm not sure if we can because it would be burning what could be a late year of Stamkos and Hedman's primes.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's really hard to gauge what to do when the whole team is playing so uncharacteristically bad defensively. Rangers deserve some credit, but not ALL of it. We are doing some incredibly stupid things, unforced. It's not like they're overwhelming us with forechecking or anything like that. Guys are just losing their marks and literally handing the puck over to them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's really hard to gauge what to do when the whole team is playing so uncharacteristically bad defensively. Rangers deserve some credit, but not ALL of it. We are doing some incredibly stupid things, unforced. It's not like they're overwhelming us with forechecking or anything like that. Guys are just losing their marks and literally handing the puck over to them.
A lot of our worst errors are coming on long shifts though, because we're getting caught in our zone and worn down. This is what makes NYR different than Florida and Toronto. Once we shifted into CBJ mode vs. Toronto, we were able to shut things down. But NYR is just relentless on the forecheck, and we are going a 60 or 90 seconds, sometimes longer, without a clear. And over the course of a game, they're just wearing us out. Credit to Gerard Gallant for planning, it would seem, around the Cooper Shell, which has been our bread and butter since the CBJ sweep. (All of this would be made a lot easier with Brayden Point on the ice for 20 minutes per game.)

So, while I think we have obviously made a lot of mistakes, I think a lot of credit has to go to NYR for just pounding us into submission defensively.

At the other end of the ice, our over-passing is maddening. Igor is giving up rebounds, and yet we seem determined to score on tic-tac-toe plays. NYR is too good for that. We have to get pucks on net and then crash our faces off. (Again, this is something Point excels at. It was too good to be true that we didn't really miss him against Florida; NYR is a different beast, and we could really use that speed, tenacity, and awareness.)

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
We need to be faster. 2-3 years ago, I’d have put our speed up against any team in the league. Now, every opponent we have faced this playoffs is not only faster than us, but significantly moreso. The game has moved on from Lightning speed. We need to adapt if we are to survive.

We would have to dump players like Killer. Sorry bud, but the time to step up is literally today if you plan on making a case to stick around.

I think the league has passed us by in terms of speed. We need more speed. We do have tenacity and grit, but that isn’t helping right now while the Rags are skating circles around us. The Leafs did it for a couple games too.

I’d also add the caveat that we don’t need speed like Hagel… we also need finishers. Tom Pyatt was fast, but you ain’t gonna win with a team full of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad