Speculation: 2021-2022 General Lightning Discussion

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Why would we completely start over with a defenseman with the core we have? I swear, did serge bang your sisters? This is crazy. Even a #3 OA RD good enough to play in the NHL year one is going to be terrible. I literally cannot grasp this concept.
Yeah, I just loaded that page and was like… wha? Why is that even a consideration right now?

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
I'm amazed at the success Tampa has had over the past decade, and i look at the type of players that come to Tampa and all of a sudden their careers take off. I think there is not enough credit made on the culture this organization has, starting with Yzerman when he was GM, filtering into Brisebois and Jon Cooper. Then you have probably 2 of the best leaders in the game Stamkos/Hedman, who have built this culture. It seems everyone knows their role, and management has done a great job in bringing in character players to fill the gaps. I don't see the same vibe in the Leafs locker room, I see how Stamkos & Hedman praise their team, they know their roles, and know what it takes to win....add the likes of Point/Vasilevskiy/Kucherov, and then Killorn/Palat/Cirelli/Sergachev/McDonaugh/Cernak...just wow!! Every player that has come in to the organization have excelled, is it because they were not good before, or is it the winning and positive culture that Tampa has built, set them up for success...the likes of Shattenkirk/Bogosian/Goodrow/Coleman/Bellemare/Paul/Maroon/Perry, i'm sure there is more..every single acquisition has made an impact....it's envious.

Congrats and best of luck going forward.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Wonder what it would take for us to sign Andrei Kuzmenko this offseason. he could be a good replacement for Palat and would fit with all the other Russians we have. can only sign a 1 year ELC so his cap wont be that high.

Reactions: Zwui21

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wonder what it would take for us to sign Andrei Kuzmenko this offseason. he could be a good replacement for Palat and would fit with all the other Russians we have. can only sign a 1 year ELC so his cap wont be that high.
Idk but he doesn't owe us any favors and we're anal about playing time and AHL service. Dude will probably be riding busses in upstate NY freezing his ass off while someone else would stick him on line 1.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Big Rig was on Pat McAfee's show today, FYI. I've linked to it in the Pat Maroon thread. Good stuff!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

Well, I speculated on this yesterday and my guess on the West was correct. It seemed easy enough to think Rogers would lobby hard enough to get a Tue-Thu-Sat schedule so that they were guaranteed a Saturday HNIC game with the Oilers, and with the game in Edmonton at that. But I'm surprised to see that, no matter how NYR-CAR turns out, we're waiting until Wednesday. That series could conclude tonight and we'd be sitting on two days with no hockey, then the West, and then finally us playing again. First team to clinch, (tied with) the last to play.

But I shouldn't complain about this. I'm back in Florida by the time Game 2 rolls around, and my only wish when I left the US a few weeks ago, after Game 3 vs. Toronto, was for the Lightning to still be playing when I got back, and that wish has obviously been fulfilled, and it's better that they aren't playing on the day when I'm returning, giving me one less thing to worry about.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Guess we might as well root for 7 games then if we get the same amount of rest/rust anyway.

I might argue the opposite and say, in this case, it might be better that Carolina wins tonight. With three days before Game 1, we know where we're going and we have those extra two days of preparation to work with (I'm sure any prep right now has been split focused because we could face either). Also, Carolina playing Game 7 at home - day off - Game 1 at home might not really be a huge obstacle for them...obviously this would be a little different if facing the Rangers since they would be away for a Game 7 win.

Your view on this might just be colored by who you'd prefer to face. I've come to prefer Carolina so, for all the mentioned reasons, I wouldn't be sad if they win tonight.

Reactions: Rschmitz and Hoek

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I might argue the opposite and say, in this case, it might be better that Carolina wins tonight. With three days before Game 1, we know where we're going and we have those extra two days of preparation to work with (I'm sure any prep right now has been split focused because we could face either). Also, Carolina playing Game 7 at home - day off - Game 1 at home might not really be a huge obstacle for them...obviously this would be a little different if facing the Rangers since they would be away for a Game 7 win.

Your view on this might just be colored by who you'd prefer to face. I've come to prefer Carolina so, for all the mentioned reasons, I wouldn't be sad if they win tonight.

I think it's still favorable to the Lightning if the series lasts 7 games. You're probably right about the lack of preparation on our part, but we can still make Lightning-centric adjustments at practice and neither the Rags or Canes can look ahead and prepare for us.

The meaningful difference IMO is that game 7's take a huge physical and emotional toll, whoever would advance to face us will have to fight those residual effects, and that is assuming that no big injuries happen. Rust I am not concerned about considering the last 8 years of reference experience, this is a team that knows how to prepare mentally.

All that being said, give me the Canes again

Reactions: JDBolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad